a new woman to hate a voice for men antifeminism antifeminist women FemRAs gloating gullibility harassment hypocrisy judgybitch lying liars misogyny MRA nonpology sexual harassment the c-word twitter whores

Lying as PR: AVFM's Janet Bloomfield libels Jessica Valenti — then brags about it

Janet Bloomfield, self-acknowledged liar
Janet Bloomfield, self-acknowledged liar

A Voice for Men’s “social media director” Janet Bloomfield is proving to be quite the innovator in the world of public relations. You may recall her cheeky approach to publicizing the recent AVFM conference, which involved awarding herself “whore points” for calling critics of AVFM “whores.”

Now she’s moved on to straight-up libel, making up fake quotes in order to make feminist writer Jessica Valenti look bad, and then bragging about it on her blog.

This whole sordid episode began several days ago when Valenti, on vacation, decided to send a message to “all the misogynist whiners in my feed today” in the form of a photo of her on a beach wearing a t-shirt saying “I bathe in male tears.”

The AVFM social media attack squad seized on this at once, with Bloomfield telling her followers, wrongly, that the picture had been posted in response to a question about male suicide. When Valenti corrected her on this point, Bloomfield offered a half-assed apology (“My bad”).

Then Bloomfield, demonstrating just how insincere her apology had been, decided to up the ante, concocting four “quotes” from thin air and attributing them to Valenti.

[EDIT: JB’s Twitter account was suspended, so here’s a screenshot of the tweets; I’ll keep the original links up in case she’s ever unsuspended, though that seems unlikely.]jbfakequotesTwitter

Naturally, as you’ll see if you follow any of these Tweets back to their original context on Twitter, many of Bloomfield’s fans assumed that these quotes were real.

Needless to say, some responded to Bloomfield’s dirty tricks with all-too predictable harassment of her target:

After brazenly libeling Valenti, Bloomfield went on to boast about it on her blog. In a post with the smug title “Jessica Valenti is not having a good day,” she wrote:

So when Jess posted that picture, I needed to goad her into replying to me directly so I wouldn’t violate Twitter’s spamming rules. I used Poe’s Law to attribute a few false but utterly plausible quotes to her, and sure enough, she replied.     Jess is not terribly smart.     Now Twitter is a little outraged at Jess’ callous indifference to the suffering of men and boys and she is catching a bit of hell. Predictably, she is having a big victim party and sulking.  It was just a joke, after all.

Now, these fake quotes may have been “utterly plausible” only to those who are ignorant of Valenti’s work, but in the hothouse world of the Men’s Rights movement there are people who would probably believe that Valenti eats babies. As I noted, JB’s followers had no trouble believing them.

Later in the post Bloomfield added, with more than a hint of maliciousness:

Jess is not having a good day, and it looks like it will be getting worse before it gets better.     Much worse.     Awwww. Too bad, Jess. Sucks to be a grown-up and have to own your shit, doesn’t it?

It’s not clear how having made-up quotes attributed to you counts as “owning your shit,” but I guess I just don’t understand Bloomfield’s higher morality.

Needless to say, in the real world, deliberately publishing false information about someone in order to harm their reputation is libel.

When confronted with this on Twitter, Bloomfield offered some inventive excuses:

Later on she attempted to prove that her libelous fake Valenti quotes didn’t matter … by making up things about me:

As I noted,

Of course, I’m no lawyer. I can only hope that some people who are lawyers are taking a good hard look at Bloomfield’s lies.

I would encourage you all to screenshot or otherwise archive Bloomfield’s self-incriminatory blog post, as well as her tweets, just in case she decides to talk to a lawyer and take them all down.

At this point, I think it’s probably safe to assume that anything and everything anyone from AVFM says should be taken not with a grain but with an entire shaker of salt.

sparky
sparky

OT, but here’s another source of male tears. This was labeled “discrimination” on r/mr. It’s a thread on a D&D discussion board. Apparently, there are more female-only prestige classes than male-only prestige classes.

Misandreeee!

marinerachel

Praise be to Bootsey.

wewereemergencies
wewereemergencies

I can’t believe I’m actually advising someone to something that will help AVFM look better, but please, for the love of whatever you consider holy, go like google PR tips or something JB. Please. PLEASE! Your incompetence, it burns.

Seriously it’s actually giving me a headache. I’m more confused than ALL of the CCAF combined.

Nathan Hevenstone

Dang! I’m at work so I missed the latest troll, and he attacked me.

All well… everyone else did a better job of going after him than I would have, so thanks!

Although, with all the flouncing… I kinda wonder how they measure up to my flounce back when I was, embarrassingly, one of the trolls. (I’m still ashamed of those episodes… I hope I’ve learned more and am doing better than I was back then…)

Trolling… may seem fun at the time, but when looking back on it, it’s shameful and embarrassing.

Also… I forgot who offered me the welcome kit, but thank you! Not sure I’ve earned it, yet, with my history, but I intend to work to earn it.

Will say this… double standards? DonB seemed to be under the impression that I don’t criticize feminists. It’s not that I don’t, it’s just that I’ve yet to find a reason to…

Argenti Aertheri

I’m so not caught up, but katz’s video…a solitary cell is SMALLER THAN MY BED. And my room, complete with over 100g of fish tank water, a plant stand, a bloody CTR TV, two bookcases and said bed? EIGHT BY FUCKING TEN! THIS IS NOT A LARGE BED!

6′ by 4’… *quick math* that’s approximately 6 55g tanks laid side to side. MY LARGEST TANK IS SLIGHTLY WIDER THAN A SOLIDARITY CONFINEMENT CELL! (And just over a foot front to back) Two 210g tanks side by side? Approx 6′ x 4′! For fish, that’s a great deal of space, for a human?! And wtf, I’m 5’4″ — my brother is just over 6’…HE’D ONLY FIT DIAGONALLY!

Hello eighth amendment, could you please go smack some people around?!

This is me deciding my blood pressure needed to be raised to human levels I guess? Since I usually get the battery of “no dizziness, fainting, etc” (no guys, my natural state is zombie?)

Argenti Aertheri

*desplodes* it’s actually 10’x7′ which, having that be about the usable space in my room (I have a useless closet)…I couldn’t imagine being stuck in here 23/7 without anything to amuse myself. I’d be literally bouncing off the walls. [TW: mental issues] actually! since I’d probably be unmedicated, I’d be twitching at every sound and sleeping in 36/12 cycles, and trying to kill myself with anything that exists (I have a sudden understanding of Opie removing the toilet seat so Arlo Guthrie couldn’t hit himself over the head and drown)

Pecunium, you still around? Officially torture or “just” feels like it? Cuz I’m going officially by any definition that doesn’t allow “torture light”.

Argenti Aertheri

And cloudiah’s video, not Katz. This is what happens when I’m furious…

pallygirl
pallygirl

@Nathan: here’s some soap/body wash of your choice to wash away any troll residue on you. The feminist dog* cleaning crew will be around shortly to clean the troll droppings up off your floor.

* cats don’t eat stuff off the floor. Unless it’s cat treats. I have not established that troll droppings == cat treats.

Argenti Aertheri

More from that video — 37 deaths in 2 years, up to 50 in with months is a four fold increase in monthly deaths!!!!

FOUR FOLD!!!

Argenti Aertheri

Nathan — that was me, and you seem to be here in good faith, so you’ve earned a welcome package! Our requirements for commenting are still, afaik, don’t be an ass and like cats, the latter is optional but helpful 🙂

redpoppy
redpoppy

I like kitties! Can I stay, too?

TheDjinni
TheDjinni

So let me get this straight.

Jessica Valenti tweeted her article in the Guardian, a response to the recent #WomenAgainstFeminism trend, the thesis being that “women are victimized in our society, and #WomenAgainstFeminism doesn’t change that”. She received 93 retweets, many of which were criticisms of people who argued that men faced more “sexist victimization” or that the victimization she described in her article was exaggerated or outright wrong.

Jessica Valenti then posted a picture “in response to all of the misogynist whiners on her feed today” of her wearing a shirt with the line “I bathe in male tears” on it. Presumably, this was in response to the criticism she received on her article, in effect calling them “whinners” and claiming she “bathed in [their] tears”. But, apparently, when taken in context, the t-shirt is just a way to troll over-sensitive anti-feminists who take it seriously.

Janet Bloomfield then posted fake quotes of Jessica Valenti to make her look bad, and when Valenti complained about these fake quotes, she posted a picture with the tagline “I bathe in feminist tears”. Of course, in context, she was ostensibly trolling butthurt feminists who take what she’s saying seriously. Presumably, Janet Bloomfield wanted to highlight the despicable nature of responding to legitimate criticisms with “I bathe in your tears”, or calling it “whining”, and then laughing it off by saying you’re just trolling over-sensitive people.

The fact that you’re upset over JBs actions but not JVs actions is, I suppose, part of the dogmatic hypocrisy that all feminists cling to. Sad, you could have made a valid point here by condemning both for stirring up shitstorms for no reason.

Argenti Aertheri

Pallygirl — they also eat potato chips off the floor, and dog food (best part? 80lb dog lets the 10lb cat have dibs on his wet food…no clue on the chips though)

That video — ARGH I HATE THIS COUNTRY SOMETIMES!! If I weren’t white, I’d be in prison at least twice over, cops don’t look kindly in non-white people and pot, no matter how naive they play. And the other time? Took one look at my last name and gave me my ID back without searching my stuff, gave me a ride home and dropped me at the corner when I asked not to be dropped where my father would see — why? Because my grandfather was a sheriff way back when, and should it still mean anything my father and uncle were both deputized, and my father makes a point of helping out when shit happens around here (e.g. hit a telephone pole? He’s got the phone and anyone need any basic first aid? No? I can go back in the house) — yeah, he does it for attention, but it’s still a thing that makes cops like him. That night was surreal though, can you imagine that sequence of events, from family sheriff and deputies to NOT SEARCHING MY STUFF, when someone else in the car just got shoved to the ground and arrested with pot, happening if I wasn’t white?

There is not enough noptopus to describe how racially bias that shit is. (The arrested was white, but the local cops really wanted to make drug charges stick after he walked multiple times, and now personal use here is basically legal…) What the fuck are the odds I’d have not been searched and given a ride, with my request filled, had I not been white? Approaching zero? For all non-statistical purposes exactly zero?

TRIGGER WARNING: child sexual assault // rape

My gaslighting ex got caught in a park with his pants down and a young teen giving him a blowjob, idk if you want to call it assault or rape, it doesn’t matter for this story. But asshole’s white, kid’s black, and male. He admitted, not in court, that he figured a gay black teen wouldn’t report him. The racial bias of the prison system makes predators feel safer abusing minorities. It puts minorities at risk in and out of prison. And, just for extra fucked up icing, the original charges were worse because oral is considered a deviant sex act in PA — yep, making someone perform oral on you is deviant, vaginal rape is not (anal is)…um, I thought laws targeting gays like that weren’t legal?

(Add “and bi/poly sexuals” to all uses of gay in previous paragraph, except the one about “gay black teen” as that’s a paraphrase)

END TRIGGER WARNING

And they have all sorts of arcane rules about visiting that seem designed to discourage it — you had to be there at least an hour before the visiting time, preferably two. That’s not as reasonable as having to put your stuff in a locker. And even calling required a special phone account because you cover the charges — no rebates for unused balance, linked to your phone number. Sorry, getting calls. Calling was basically impossible. Of course, I was calling “protective custody”, aka solitary, because child abusers are not treated well in prison. (Fuck you Ruby, child rapist or not, rape should not be something prisoners fear)

I think I’m done ranting for now.

Argenti Aertheri

EXTEND THAT TRIGGER WARNING TO THE END!! SO SORRY!!

Argenti Aertheri

Redpoppy, are you an asshole? If not, give me one moment to get you a welcome package!

redpoppy
redpoppy

Nope. Not an asshole. Long time lurker for like…4 years? lol

So let me get this straight.

Keep trying.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Oh FFS latest TheDjinni troll.

Wearing the t-shirt was a sarcastic general statement, not directed at anyone in particular. Sarcasm can be misplaced or taken too far, and perhaps it was poor judgement, maybe not. Anyways, the pertinent points about the t-shirt are:
– the slogan wasn’t directed at any particular person;
– it’s clearly hyperbole, as no-one literally bathes in the tears of misogynists.

JB’s false tweets:
– stated the name of the person she alleged said the quotes, so were directed at a specific and named person
– are difficult to argue as hyperbole given that MRAs routinely state that feminists say/think these things

So the conclusion that you naively arrive at:

is incorrect on content grounds.

Please go back and watch Sesame St, in particular episodes that deal with the concept of one thing not being like another. Here, let Big Bird help you:

brooked

WHAT! Get out troll trash, this place is an unforgiving fortress of unyielding feminist truth and justice! Just go Mr Nathan Hevenstone, if that’s even your real name.

Wait, I was just informed this is a good-natured mockery site that likes kitties, dislikes asshats and smacks down misogynistic jibber jabber. So pull up an uncomfortable anti-male hard chair and stick around.

Side note on trolls: Every time a troll references multiple MRA figureheads, talking points and controversies and then claims to not be a MRA, I’m going to make a small Paypal donation to WHTM in their honor. That way their hypocrisy will do something positive rather than just annoy the fuck out of me.

strivingally

Nathan, I’ve just spent five minutes reading your blog and it’s pretty clear you’re one of the Guys Who Gets It. Whatever trolling you’ve done in the past, meh – to quote a cliché, when we know better, we do better.

I look back at my 19 (20, 21…) year old self now and shudder. I was so close to being the archetypical Nice Guy(TM) that a nudge in one direction probably would’ve sent me down the incel path. Luckily I went the other way.

Who you are is more important, and your willingness to grow and challenge yourself with different perspectives.

brooked

@TheDjinni

Does JV’s “actions” consist of wearing a tee-shirt with a jokey reference to snarky meme? Then you’re right, guilty as charged, not only does that tee-shirt not upset me, I don’t care if it offends other people because I don’t find that joke particularly offensive. You can see that as hypocrisy or moral failure, but I see that as having a sense of perspective and being an adult. That’s my opinion of that tee-shirt, but carry on with the melodramatic pearl clutching if my failure to denounce that piece of clothing so horrifies you.

Kakanian
Kakanian

@TheDjinni
>Janet Bloomfield then posted fake quotes of Jessica Valenti to make her look bad, and when Valenti complained about these fake quotes, she posted a picture with the tagline “I bathe in feminist tears”.

Janet Bloomfield didn’t get what Jesus said when he told his followers to “offer the other cheek” to people who disagree with them. He did not tell them that they should just put up with it, but that they should put the people who disagree with them into a situation where they can’t help but commit an offense against them. Goes to show that they really have nothing.

brooked

I do enjoy the heroic narrative TheDjinni gives JudgyB’s goofball trolling. Sorry, making up fake quotes to defame a writer is childish, tetchy and pathetic, but that’s how JudgyB rolls on Twitter.

girlseule

My god that Janet is a nasty piece of work!

Nathan Hevenstone

Just wanna say… y’all are awesome.

Also, if liking cats is one of the requirements, count me in. I like dogs, too, but I’m determined that my first pet will be a Bombay Saffire kitty. I love them so much.

Nathan Hevenstone

Erm… I meant Sapphire… stupid autocorrect…

Andrew Johnston
Andrew Johnston

@cassandrakitty

“The silliest bit of the troll’s attempt to use sexual dimorphism (physical) to explain behavior (heavily socialized) is that human brains are plastic, especially in infancy and childhood. If you socialize a child to believe that they’re supposed to have mechanical aptitude, give them mechanical toys to play with, teach them how to do mechanical stuff, and so on, and then take another child and discourage them from any interest in mechanical things, then by adulthood, shocker! Child A. will probably be better at mechanical stuff than child B. If you reward child A for socially dominant behavior, and punish child B for exactly the same behavior, guess what happens when they grow up?” – cassandrakitty

I doubt you endorse conducting such a horrid experiment on children. But, just for any shitty future parents out there who might take what you said seriously, rather than accepting it as you simply making a point:

I’m curious to see what happens when most people start treating their children like people, rather than trained dogs. It is a parent’s job to make sure their child is happy and healthy and behaving ethically. Unless detrimental to one of these three things, children’s natural preferences need to be accepted and supported. Determining what is best for a child’s happiness, health and moral character requires reason and evidence (i.e. science and philosophy). What is best for a child’s happiness and long-term well-being? Consult psychology and neuroscience. Health? Consult medical and nutrition science. Ethics? Don’t be a hypocrite. Start by not doing the very things that you instruct your child not to do. Don’t hit, don’t yell, don’t steal, and don’t lie. Teach your children ethical behavior and healthy human interactions by exhibiting them with your child and others – model it for them. Children have all the same inalienable rights as adults, a well as some additional rights arising from the implicit contract between parent and child. They have the right to be healthy and happy, and parents have the obligation to do everything in their power to make sure they are. The tools that should be used to teach children are reasoned discussion, win-win negotiation, rewards, and anything else that does not violate their rights to not be assaulted or abused. That means no spanking, no hitting of any kind and no verbal aggression.

Andrew Johnston
Andrew Johnston

@cassandrakitty Whoops my bad. I meant take you “literally” not “seriously”. I don’t mean to suggest people should take you seriously. Also, I wanted to add that part of being a good parent is limiting your child’s exposure to toxic social expectations, including gender roles. It’s hard to tell what a child’s natural preferences are if they are exposed to these sorts of influences.

pallygirl
pallygirl

@redpoppy: welcome also. 🙂

@Nathan: Bombay Sapphire kitty? I like the gin, mixed with tonic and preferably with a lemon slice, but not heard of the cat breed. Do you have a link?

Andrew Johnston
Andrew Johnston

@cassandrakitty *shouldn’t

I don’t mean to suggest that people shouldn’t…

I really shouldn’t post of forums where I am unable to edit my posts.

pallygirl
pallygirl

@Nathan: *squee* a cat t-shirt. 🙂

Nathan Hevenstone
Reply to  pallygirl

You know those old movies about witches and such that always feature black cats? The Bombay is the cat most often used… I think…

Sapphire may have just been an addition by my imagination…

daintydougal
daintydougal

The ‘male tears’ refers to the distress certain men feel when not literally everything is about them.

(I know everyone here knows this but I just can’t stop myself)

Argenti Aertheri

Pooh pretty kitty! And it’s okay, I prefer my cats to be catfish and no one seems to mind any.

Speaking of which, it’s morning, even according to the fishkins, and I should attempt sleep (apparently my sleeping pill decided to take the night off!) So goodnight Mammothers, try not to get troll on the rug, they can leave some nasty stains!

pallygirl
pallygirl

These days, about the only thing I agree with Dawkins about:

Nathan Hevenstone

How does one post pictures here? Or do I have to use a link?

magnesium
magnesium

You know, now that I think about it, it’s kind of hard to believe that Bloomfield really cares about men at all. She keeps lying to them to get them riled up to harass people. She did this same thing with that teacher in Detroit. It’s almost as if she thinks of men as her own personal attack dogs. She sees them as subhumans, illogical and out of control of their emotional anger, so she manipulates them easily to go after women she doesn’t like. I’ll bet she gets quite the thrill out of the control she exerts over these men, too. What do the MRA’s call that? “Violence by proxy”?

The more I think about AVFM, the more I wonder how much the women at least believe that they are the ones in charge. Even Elam’s donations go to his behind-the-scenes girlfriend’s name. Maybe she’s the one who decides where the money goes, and the reason he won’t tell anybody how it’s divided, is that he genuinely doesn’t know. The guys seem to think that Bloomfield and GWW are better debaters than Elam, and probably better speakers. They practically worship these ladies, and apparently believe anything the women says without question. Maybe it’s not so much that they think the world is an oppressive matriarchy, as that they want it to be one.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Hi Nathan, you post on Feministe and Pharyngula, don’t you? I recognise your guitar-gravatar (yes I looked at Gravatar, I wanted to see that kitty tee shirt properly). 🙂

Kakanian
Kakanian

Reminds me.. when did “Matriarchy” become defined as “Same shit as Patriarchy, only with women on top”? From what I recently read, none of the researchers who proposed prehistoric matriarchies ever claimed that to be the case.

Fibinachi

Sure, but if we went by actual research, we couldn’t use it to snidely try to be angry at everyone.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

magnesium – could it be that Pauly really is a sockpuppet? 😯

AL3H
AL3H

@strivingally @Nathan

First, I like new people finding and commenting on this blog, so as far as I am concerned, Nathan is welcome. However, I think it is accidental, but there is something in this line that squicks me out:

The reason is that its focus is the person doing the trolling, not the people getting trolled. This article describes the same type of thing but with respect to harassment:

I am not grumpy or anything, but given that I was squicked out by that sentence, I thought you would like to know, and would like to know why.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

Another troll with rapid-fire ”arguments”, misuse of data and terminology, a condescending attitude and a complete lack of empathy. Well, at least this one doesn’t try to pretend not being an MRA, so… kudos? No, not really.

About ”male tears”, since I was one of the people trying to give a definition of it: I never defined it as satire, since that’s not what it is. What is it with MRAs and their persistent misuse of that word?

As Sparky wrote above, ”male tears” describes accurately the tantrums men (who are either unaware of their male privilege, or who simply don’t care) often throw when confronted with realities and lived experiences that differ from theirs. This includes ignorant guys who whine about ”the friendzone”, as well as would-be harassers who whine about the horrors of being expected to treat women as fellow human beings. It’s an all-encompassing way of mocking entitled manchildren who confuse privileges with rights.

”Misogynist tears” would not have the same connotation. As our lovely JB so excellently demonstrates, women can be misogynists, too, but for slightly different reasons than men (though both probably feel they gain something extra from the current system that they would not gain from a more fair and equal system; a common feature in bigots and capitalists). Misogynistic women lack the male privilege that is a requirement for the privilege-born entitlement that channels male tears, and even non-misogynistic men with no understanding of gender dynamics may occasionally produce them (the difference being that non-misogynistic men actually have a chance to understand that the term is not actually offensive, and that it describes their ignorant attitude pretty well).

The fact that tears without a male prefix are seen as shameful, and, by extension, only fit for those lesser beings known as women, tells something about misogyny in our society. Pretty much all the backlash that gender-nonconforming men (like me) get in society are rooted in misogyny, not misandry*.

An MRA might see joking about ”male tears” as condescending, since their whole shtick is ignoring the reality of gender dynamics in our society, and trying to frame everything as a ploy to disadvantage men. Problem is, deep down they know reality doesn’t support their notions, so they have to rely on far-fetched conspiracy theories to justify their persecution complex.

Nobody is advocating for mocking male victims. All victims of violence should be treated with sympathy and understanding. However, there’s a world of difference between expressing sympathy for male victims of violence and claiming that their suffering is due to a made-up form of oppression that can only be fixed by limiting the rights of another group.

*In order for misandry to be a meaningful term, there would have to be an institutional bias against men (as a group, not as individuals suffering from various intersectional problems) in our society. Since there isn’t, arguing for the validity of the term in gender discussions is as pointless as bringing up ”reverse racism” in a racial dynamics debate. It just shows that nobody should take you seriously on the subject.

Lea
Lea

Hi Nathan! I recognize you from Pharyngula. You’re good people. It’s good to see you here.

weirwoodtreehugger

How did Jessica Valenti stir up a shitstorm? It’s pretty telling that you think posting a piece about how women are still a marginalized group, sexism still exists and we still need feminism is stirring things up. If you think that we’re going to condemn her for that, you have another think coming.

What are you blathering on about? No, Cassandra was not advocating child abuse and nobody with any reading comprehension would think she was.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Unrelated, but of interest to my fellow “social justice warriors”: brain scans show concern for justice is based on reason, not emotion. I know for me personally, in addition to emotions like empathy, my concern for justice has a “but that doesn’t even make sense!” component to it. Most *isms are pretty illogical.

Even less related: Sunday was my sobriety date. I haven’t had a drink in seven years (and two days)!

Lea
Lea

Congratulations, Emily!

sparky
sparky

Well, such “horrid experiments” are already being conducted on children.

It’s how we raise boys vs girls. And yeah, individual parents can strive to raise children in a non-gendered way, but society insists, pretty damn early, on forcing that child into the “appropriate” binary gender role. Girls and boys get the message, pretty damn early, that certain things are for girls and certain things are for boys, and never the twain shall meet.

As I write this, my 3 year old daughter is tearing aroun the house, toy sword in one hand an toy broom in the other. We give her “boys” and “girls” toys, encourage her in all kinds of play and interests. But what’s going to happen when she gets to school and learns that trains and sharks (both of which she loves, at the moment) are “for boys?” What’s going to happen when the world rewards her for dressing up in a princess gown (“such a pretty little girl!”) but ignores her (or makes fun of, or discourages her) when she builds something elaborate with blocks?

We live in a world in which people still, seriously, argue that girls and women are inherently unsuited to STEM fields because biology. cassandrakitty was describing this world, not endorsing if.