a new woman to hate a voice for men antifeminism antifeminist women FemRAs gloating gullibility harassment hypocrisy judgybitch lying liars misogyny MRA nonpology sexual harassment the c-word twitter whores

Lying as PR: AVFM's Janet Bloomfield libels Jessica Valenti — then brags about it

Janet Bloomfield, self-acknowledged liar
Janet Bloomfield, self-acknowledged liar

A Voice for Men’s “social media director” Janet Bloomfield is proving to be quite the innovator in the world of public relations. You may recall her cheeky approach to publicizing the recent AVFM conference, which involved awarding herself “whore points” for calling critics of AVFM “whores.”

Now she’s moved on to straight-up libel, making up fake quotes in order to make feminist writer Jessica Valenti look bad, and then bragging about it on her blog.

This whole sordid episode began several days ago when Valenti, on vacation, decided to send a message to “all the misogynist whiners in my feed today” in the form of a photo of her on a beach wearing a t-shirt saying “I bathe in male tears.”

The AVFM social media attack squad seized on this at once, with Bloomfield telling her followers, wrongly, that the picture had been posted in response to a question about male suicide. When Valenti corrected her on this point, Bloomfield offered a half-assed apology (“My bad”).

Then Bloomfield, demonstrating just how insincere her apology had been, decided to up the ante, concocting four “quotes” from thin air and attributing them to Valenti.

[EDIT: JB’s Twitter account was suspended, so here’s a screenshot of the tweets; I’ll keep the original links up in case she’s ever unsuspended, though that seems unlikely.]jbfakequotesTwitter

Naturally, as you’ll see if you follow any of these Tweets back to their original context on Twitter, many of Bloomfield’s fans assumed that these quotes were real.

Needless to say, some responded to Bloomfield’s dirty tricks with all-too predictable harassment of her target:

After brazenly libeling Valenti, Bloomfield went on to boast about it on her blog. In a post with the smug title “Jessica Valenti is not having a good day,” she wrote:

So when Jess posted that picture, I needed to goad her into replying to me directly so I wouldn’t violate Twitter’s spamming rules. I used Poe’s Law to attribute a few false but utterly plausible quotes to her, and sure enough, she replied.     Jess is not terribly smart.     Now Twitter is a little outraged at Jess’ callous indifference to the suffering of men and boys and she is catching a bit of hell. Predictably, she is having a big victim party and sulking.  It was just a joke, after all.

Now, these fake quotes may have been “utterly plausible” only to those who are ignorant of Valenti’s work, but in the hothouse world of the Men’s Rights movement there are people who would probably believe that Valenti eats babies. As I noted, JB’s followers had no trouble believing them.

Later in the post Bloomfield added, with more than a hint of maliciousness:

Jess is not having a good day, and it looks like it will be getting worse before it gets better.     Much worse.     Awwww. Too bad, Jess. Sucks to be a grown-up and have to own your shit, doesn’t it?

It’s not clear how having made-up quotes attributed to you counts as “owning your shit,” but I guess I just don’t understand Bloomfield’s higher morality.

Needless to say, in the real world, deliberately publishing false information about someone in order to harm their reputation is libel.

When confronted with this on Twitter, Bloomfield offered some inventive excuses:

Later on she attempted to prove that her libelous fake Valenti quotes didn’t matter … by making up things about me:

As I noted,

Of course, I’m no lawyer. I can only hope that some people who are lawyers are taking a good hard look at Bloomfield’s lies.

I would encourage you all to screenshot or otherwise archive Bloomfield’s self-incriminatory blog post, as well as her tweets, just in case she decides to talk to a lawyer and take them all down.

At this point, I think it’s probably safe to assume that anything and everything anyone from AVFM says should be taken not with a grain but with an entire shaker of salt.

DonB

“DonB, how does linking to a bibliography prove your point?”

It’s called data and evidence. Try it sometime.

hellkell

Similarly, you failed to address my point that even if it is with less frequency, mocking said victims is still reprehensible.

Go read the fucking thread, cupcake. Your “point” has been addressed.

You just fail all the fucking time, don’t you?

hellkell

Don, that wasn’t an ad hominem. Go away and learn something.

sparky
sparky

If something is bigoted, it does not rely on social constructs or disparities

Damn. I skimmed right over this part.

Add “bigotry” and “social constructs” and “disparity” to the list of things DonB doesn’t understand.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Behold, Dunning Kruger man has arrived!

DonB

“You don’t science, do you, DonB?”

Ah, yes. I’m going to take some blogging ninny much more seriously than innumerable experts in the field.

“It doesn’t matter how many studies there are, if they are relying on a faulty instrument (the CTS), then the results are going to be flawed.”

It’s an instrument that one demonstrably, admittedly biased nitwit claims is false. This can only be considered faulty if you’re looking for your conclusion beforehand.

“You are also don’t appear to be able to read for comprehension, either.”

I could piss myself at the irony here.

hellkell

Which troll was it who had this sort of difficulty with the concept of quotation marks?

Almost all of them.

seraph4377

Hmm. I don’t think DonB is going to last long here. I suspect that he’s either going to stomp out, or go into the kind of ranting rage that gets him thrown out.

Anybody care to take bets?

seraph4377

And JB, what were you doing in that screen cap? You look…rabid.

hellkell

I could piss myself at the irony here.

Depends. Do you know what irony is? Because you’re not showing much knowledge about anything else.

DonB

Hmm, it seems that all you’re doing is making baseless statements without actually refuting any of my arguments, and then accusing me of not being able to read what was never written (or simply replied with ad-hom).

Since I know that’s all you pathetic idiots are capable of, I’ll leave you alone.

“Behold, Dunning Kruger man has arrived!”

Enough blinding irony to give me a week’s worth of laughter.

Ah, before I go

“However, the CTS is one of the most widely criticized domestic violence measurement instruments due to its exclusion of context variables and motivational factors in understanding acts of violence. The National Institute of Justice cautions that the CTS may not be appropriate for IPV research “because it does not measure control, coercion, or the motives for conflict tactics.””

Good riddance children.

brooked

judgybitch | August 4, 2014 at 8:42 am
Yay! Let’s hope you have enough influence to have MSM pick this up.

judgybitch | August 4, 2014 at 9:12 pm
Le sigh. You are not making a big enough deal out of this. Maybe you just can’t? That’s okay. I think I can…… LOL!

This may come as a shock to you but some random woman trolling the not very famous Jessica Valenti isn’t going to make the news cycle. No one outside of the AVfM-ruled section of the manosphere and those of us here who mock it cares about your clownish antics. Your performance art-like stint as the worst, least professional PR flack ever was weirdly fascinating, but you’ve grown tiresome and headachy.

The novelty of the sparsely attended AVfM pseudo-conference at the ol’ VFW hall is long gone and the anti-feminist hash tag campaign you glommed onto is both fading and over shadowed by kitties. Enjoy entertaining roughly 1700 people on twitter with your rage filled anti-feminist and/or anti-liberal Tumblr in Action-style delights.

How long are you going to fixate on David Futrelle? There’s a big, fascinating world out there full of interesting people for you to drunkenly harass. Move on lady.

hellkell

Baseless statements? Well, it’s good you know what you arrived with.

Stick the flounce, chump.

sparky
sparky

Ooh, I put my money on “ranting rage.”

This one has a “bull in a china shop” vibe. Lots of angry flailing and smashing of plates, but in the end stupid as a box of rocks.

Hey, DonB, can you actually provide evidence that the CTS is reliable? ‘Cause Kimmel is pretty much summarizing the consensus in the field.

DonB

Sorry, my crap computer cut out.

As you can see via my last post, your theory has nothing to do with the *prevalence*. I’m not discussing severity.

Piss off!

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

DonB, that’s not what ad hom means. It was an insult, yes, but it wasn’t an ad hom.

Literacy is a good life skill, hoss.

“This is so goddamn stupid, I can’t even snark it.”

Translation: “I have no argument”

“DonB, how does linking to a bibliography prove your point?”

It’s called data and evidence. Try it sometime.

pecunium

I can also say (with a touch of moderate condescension) Linda seems to be young, and attending Pasadena City College (the pasadena.edu address is the tip-off).

Also there is a lack of context for the reference. It’s part of a syllabus, but what the subject is, or the point the professor was using it to make/its spur to discussion are, we don’t know.

Don, that flounce was awful. -2/10

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

I was just about to bet that he wouldn’t stick the flounce, but he unstuck it so fast I didn’t even have time to finish typing. Is that some kind of record?

J.J
J.J

Let’s see if he sticks to the flounce. And…did he just say that the CTS isn’t reliable, thus working against his own point, or did my eyes just glaze over ’cause I’m bored of the trolling?

hellkell

It’s up there in the Bad Flounce HoF.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

What happened here is that Don read the term “social construct” earlier in the thread, but was too lazy to go look up what it meant. That’s not how you expand your vocabulary, Don.

sparky
sparky

DonB:

So, a husband beating his wife so severely she has to go to the ER and a wife pushing her husband away when he has her pinned against a wall are both commiting domestic abuse in your view? Because that, in a nutshell, is the problem with CTS.

Are you saying those two acts are equivalent?

DonB

““A bunch of people wrote about this topic” is not the same as “I am right about this topic”.”

A bunch of qualified academics studied the topic and reached my conclusion, however, is a different story altogether.

BTW, after a 20 min google search, this is the only place that identifies “male tears” as satire…

“More accurate translation: “how can I even argue with someone who thinks bigotry has nothing to do with social constructs?””

Read the dictionary. That’s all that matters to you lot.

Bigoted: having or revealing an obstinate belief in the superiority of one’s own opinions and a prejudiced intolerance of the opinions of others.

Nope, nothing about social constructs in there.

“You claimed that Nathan holds feminists to “no moral standard whatsoever”, a claim which you pulled from thin air (or your ass) since he said no such thing. Hence, making shit up. I’m not sure what literacy has to do with any of that.”

He justifies what feminists do while relieving them of the moral standard he holds for others.

sparky
sparky

J.J.:

Yep. I think he forgot what he was arguing for there for a second.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Sorry, my crap computer cut out.

Did you just apologize for being interrupted mid-diatribe?

It’s like this weird island of politeness in a sea of mangry ranting.

weirwoodtreehugger

Fuck off Don. The amount of strength the abuser had over the abused matters. Power differntials are important. The severity of the injuries matter too.

If you have to equate a slap with murder to prove your point, you’ve lost the debate.

It’s pretty rich that you’re accusing us of mocking male abuse victims (although we did no such thing) when you’re the one dismissing murder victims anf victims of abuse that results in permanent disfigurement or injury.

Fuck you and fuck ofg.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Only Don could make whatever he’s attempting to say about moral standards sound like either the standards or the person being spoken about are taking a piss.

Unimaginative

That’s how I read it. Own goal! (I think that’s what an own goal is…)

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

K, but your link doesn’t say that. Seriously, how are you commenting on anyone else’s reading comprehansion?

That might be because it’s not satire.

Restating your assfax is not the same as backing them up.

Read the dictionary. That’s all that matters to you lot.

Nope, nothing about social constructs in there.

Like I said: too stupid to even engage with. Have fun shitting on the chessboard, though!

brooked

@DonB

You got that bibliography from AVfM and I’m guessing you’ve done jack squat with it other than post a link to it in your anti-feminist screeds.

sparky
sparky
Unimaginative

Bigotry:

Bigotry is the state of mind of someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust or hatred on the basis of a person’s ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

Social Construct:

a social mechanism, phenomenon, or category created and developed by society; a perception of an individual, group, or idea that is ‘constructed’ through cultural or social practice

Like, say, race, religion, etc. etc. Yeah, no connection there at all.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Aw, did his mum send him to bed already?

hellkell

Don: when you say you’re going away, you have to leave or else we’ll think you’re a liar.*

*we already do, but follow-through is a good thing.

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

@emilygoddess
I was under the impression it isnt actually a Pill, its a tube of model glue and a plastic bag

cloudiah

Wow, DonB just assploded. That was very amusing to read.

Kids, severity of violence DOES NOT MATTER AT ALL. That’s right. If I shove you 10 times, and you murder me only once, you are much less violent than I am. In fact, if I shove you 10 times in response to you attempting to murder me 11 times, and the 11th time I fail to prevent my own murder, I am still the more violent person.

According to DonB and, as it turns out, the CTS.

cloudiah

In other news, John Oliver just did more to help men in one 17-minute segment of his show than the entire MRM has done in their existence (seriously, watch this):

GrumpyOldMan

I’m sure Don B would be willing to argue that a person who carelessly bumps into another car in a parking lot causing a scratched fender should receive the same punishment as a person who carelessly bumps into another car at 80 mph on an interstate causing several deaths. Making all “assaults” equivalent without considering the level of violence and damage is so blindingly stupid that it totally discredits anyone who uses the argument. Calling it science does not magically turn stupidity into wisdom.
A lot of times it’s not the research, but the assumptions and definitions on which it is based, that makes junk science junk. You’d have to give me a lot of happy juice to get me to accept the idea that a shove equals a lethal beating.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

I think this is relevant to our interests:

Kitten Cam!

Shiraz
Shiraz

Wow.

It must have been hard for JB to make those Tweets while her mouth was foaming.

I missed Don the troll. Remember everyone, who made a chew toy out of him tonight, at least floss your teeth before you go to bed. Troll bits can cause tooth decay if you don’t rinse your mouth or brush or do a good flossing. Otherwise, congrats, I’m sure he was delicious. The stupid ones always are.

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

Mras liking the CTS is very similar to the “Wage gap doesnt exist if you forget to account for differences in hours worked and make other mistakes that you should have learned about in high school math”

its just “YAY THIS AGREES WITH MY WORLDVIEW IT MUST BE RIGHT”

Bina
Bina

Oh joy, oh bliss. More fake quotes and libel and ginned-up fauxtrage from the village idiotess. I can hardly wait.

Bina
Bina

But — thunderation! Don’t you know that an open-handed smack upside a man’s head is capital misandry, and equivalent to rape, assault and battery, femicide and corpse-sodomy combined?

Man-tears are serious cat, and this am serious thread!

GrumpyOldMan

I hope Don B doesn’t come back. If he does I may get a lethal dose of head-desking.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Just laughing at this from the latest troll:

“You don’t science, do you, DonB?”

And then proceeds to cite not-experts. But he’s a male atheist so he can’t be wrong because being a male atheist makes him perfect at reason and logic. Clearly that male atheist reason and logic let him rationally and logically identify the experts as people who come to his conclusions.

It’s a pity the film title “Expelled – No Intelligence Allowed” is already used.

teacat
teacat

I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to wait until you’ve finished a couple rounds of arguments before asploding of anger.

teacat
teacat

Back to the original topic, though, all you can do sometimes is laugh at how blatant their libel is. It’s so obvious that only somebody who has completely and bought into the person spreading it would take it as the truth.

That’s also why it’s unlikely this junk would ever cause any actual damage.

On the unfortunate side, it’s also unlikely that it’d ever be taken seriously by a judge as libel were “lol male feminist = child abuser OBVIOUSLY” actually to cause damage.