antifeminism antifeminist women confused cats against feminism cuteness false accusations irony alert lying liars misogyny MRA straw feminists straw futrelle ugly feminists

The Catster Debates: Or, I inadvertently bring MRAs to an innocent cat website

From that other blog of mine
From that other blog of mine

So I did an interview about my Confused Cats Against Feminism blog with Catster.com, a site that devotes itself to collecting “helpful and hilarious information for the worldly but still infatuated Cat aficionado.” Alas, as a result of publishing this interview with me yesterday, they now seem to be collecting angry MRA commenters as well.

Here are some highlights of the, er, debate so far, which I’ve waded into myself, perhaps unwisely. (These are selections, with a bunch missing, though the comments that look obviously like they are responses to other comments, are.) Maeve Connor is the author of the post about me.

catster1

catster2

catster3

catster4

catster5

Here, by the way, are some of the not-belittling, all-inclusive, non-mocking contributors to Women Against Feminism.

From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism

I’m just taking a wild guess here, but I’m pretty sure none of these gals are “tweens.”

msgypsy
msgypsy

I’m pretty sure the last picture up there is not of an anti-feminist tween. I’m pretty sure it’s a pro-feminist adult. Or maybe I don’t understand sarcasm. I think I understand sarcasm, though.

Kim
Kim

I finally thought of something to submit for CCAF. Now just have to wait for them to reach the front of the queue.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Saphy, you didn’t go to school with Miss Felicity Beedle, by any chance?

(/Terry Pratchett reference)

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Fingers crossed, Kim!

If your kitties don’t get through you can join us other rejects in the Corner of Grief. 😛

saphy
saphy

Arctic Ape, in this universe we were pretty much the group equivalent of her, yes. Poo is so satisfying to talk about.

Lea
Lea

As a teen I was sure that poop talk was how you knew someone had gotten old. This belief came from noticing that old folks would give me updates from their bowels and occasionally ask after mine. Now, I’m that person.I destroy my teen by announcing the time to be “poop o’clock” and I ask the kids if they’ve pooped today when they seem grumpy or complain of sore tummies. by my own rules, I’m old. On the other hand, if you want to make a kid smile, say “poop”. Poop humor is the best humor as far as kids are concerned. So, I like to think I’ve become hip and relatable with the very, very, young people.

There is some evidence that my rule is incorrect. I have met people in their 20’s who send their roommates snapchats of their dookies. I’m not sure what to think of that. That is a whole new level of TMI.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Spiked hair means that you’re an arsonist, obviously.

I thought it meant you were a failed clone of a genetically engineered madman and had a fondness for comically overlarge swords.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Re: men discussing issues with feminism — I think that as long as it’s phrased with room for “I disagree” and open to discussion, it’s probably okay. Of course, some opinions are just vile, but I’m personally quite forgiving to those willing to admit they might be wrong but want to learn.

Re: the crow and bear — yeah, if bear wanted a snack it wouldn’t have grabbed the crow by the wing and wandered off, peak on the nose or not. And crows are scary smart, it’ll remember that the bear saved it.

Random question for Americans, what’s the legalality of camping in a state park that doesn’t have a camping area? No cooking, carry out what you carry in, roughing it style for a night. It’s been far too long since I slept outdoors and the only threat in said park is rattlesnakes, who aren’t exactly inclined to bother you if you don’t bother them.

cloudiah

cassandrakitty should keep an eye on these kids in the future:

cloudiah

Argenti, I think legally if you’re not on an approved campsite, you’re supposed to be out of the park by a certain hour. If it’s a park without any approved campsites, I’ve seen rangers do a walkthrough to herd out stragglers (though when funding is low, they might skip that because they don’t have enough rangers).

But… if you’re quiet, and careful, and tidy, I bet you could fly beneath the radar.

If you decide you want to go to an approved campsite, I can ask my BiL if there are any he’s gone to in CT that are particularly nice. (I think he mostly camps in NH though.)

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

@emilygoddess That or you are an alien who turns into an aryan after becoming emotional.

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

Great. That had to be the first comment on a new page.

The comment is due in part to this fan fiction crossover. (I wrote that as drossover at first and that may be a Freudian slip.)

hellkell
hellkell

That is next-level TMI. My girlfriends and I will occasionally have a group email about poo (one is infamous for sharting), but pics? No.

Lea
Lea

Crows have been said to alert large predators to the presence of prey. I don’t know if that’s a fact, but it sounds like something they would do.

I knew a man who told a story about a time when upon hearing a crow in front of him cawing away, looked behind him and saw a cougar. The big cat got skittish and left him alone. He was sure the crow had purposefully saved him, and maybe it did. It may have just been cussing at the cougar or the man. It may also have been hoping for some people scraps when the cougar was finished with it’s dinner. Either way, he was lucky he stopped and looked around when he did and for that, he gave credit to the crow.

I don’t know if the bear understood that the crow was in danger or of it was just curious about all the ruckus it was kicking up. It would be nice to think it saved the crow intentionally. It doesn’t look like the bear had any intentions of eating the crow. It stopped eating to go fish the bird out. It seemed happy to leave it alone once it was out and go back to it’s meal. It wasn’t hunting. It may have been playing. It may well have been helping. I don’t think a couple weak pecks would have been enough to frighten away a bear if it meant business. How cool would it be if they became buddies?
Awww…..

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

“I don’t think a couple weak pecks would have been enough to frighten away a bear if it meant business.”

Seriously, this. Maybe it was sorta thinking “could be food”, got pecked and went “fuck it, I have apples”, but it wasn’t seriously looking for a bird snack if a nose peck made it give up!

Cloudiah — I was thinking sleeping giant, and not off the tower trail (I want to try the blue trail, round trip — 10 miles of real hiking — spending the night off the trail would make that easier, and be lovely). Plenty of CT parks have camping grounds, but I’m not keen on tenting in a field and calling it camping (or worse, renting a cabin!)

D
D

Basically what this bullshit is saying is, “If you don’t agree with us it’s because you’re too stupid and weak to make your own decisions.”

Wrap your head around the lunacy of that statement for a second. The arrogance is matched only by the complete lack of self-awareness.

Now, I know someone’s out there is thinking about saying something like, “But if you’re against feminism it’s only because you either hate women or you don’t actually understand it’s message.”

No. That’s bullshit. I’m all for treating animals decently. I don’t support Peta. I support unionized labor. That doesn’t mean I support all labor unions.

Feminism has become more than just an ideology. It is a movement and those in charge of steering the bus have lost their minds. I feel bad for oldschool and traditional feminists because their movement has been taken over by hate-filled bigots. Some of the most misogynistic drivel I read comes from the very people who claim to be fighting fighting against misogyny but make it very clear that they view women and to weak and stupid to be accountable for their own actions.

weirwoodtreehugger

Corvidae are so cool. Why doesn’t Word Press recognize the word corvidae?

Oh, and D, you’re schtick isn’t very original. Either prove todays feminists are horrible and mean or GTFO and stay out. You’re boring and it’s painfully obvious your complaints about contemporary feminism are actually complaints about the fact that the movement has been successful and men have slowly been losing their privilege (not to be confused with rights).

marinerachel

I’m not ready for poop pictures. I can’t appreciate the hilariousness of it. I am only offended by it. Maybe if I were more secure I could engage in Rate My Poop type pranks. Alas, the thought of doing so offends me personally and, even if it did not, I am afraid others would judge me for it.

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

I am sure D would totally stand up for feminism if it didn’t challenge them to change any behaviors or lines of thought.

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

RE: Robert Ramirez

I looked at the comment on Catster and keep on accusing David saying he is mocking tweens, Why the fuck are they doing that?

Maybe they’re assuming everyone on tumblr is really young? Which is not true, at least on my corner; I have folks who follow me who’re my parents’ age.

RE: intrepid

I don’t think a woman with that much eyeshadow should be calling other people slutty… just saying..

Don’t be a dick. How does wearing eyeliner make someone slutty?

RE: opium4themasses

The comment is due in part to this fan fiction crossover.

OH GOD I REMEMBER THAT FIC. AAAAAAAAH

RE: D

Feminism has become more than just an ideology. It is a movement

…it STARTED as a movement. You know, the suffrage movement?

saphy
saphy

@ D

Give specific examples and links to back up your weird claims or GTFO

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

It became a movement? I’m having a weird day, so my brain went: like the Alice’s Restaurant anti-massacre movement?

Enjoy! (I’m not tired…or proud)

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

Oh god I listened to the entire thing. I would be embarrassed, but whatever, I’m keeping up with my writeathon requirements.

Unimaginative

versus

I don’t need feminism because I like to be treated like a lady by a gentleman.

Okay, fine. YOU don’t need feminism. That doesn’t mean EVERY WOMAN doesn’t need feminism. And the very nature of the fight is that feminists work on behalf of ALL women. If any given woman chooses to live as if women still have only the rights they had 100 years ago, cool. Good for them. Because of feminism, they can CHOOSE to live that way.

Because of feminism, the rest of us don’t have to.

And, yanno, some feminists are assholes. If you think some feminist activists are bigots and misogynists, call them out. Critique them. Point out the error of their ways. Offer alternative viewpoints.

I don’t think shutting down feminism is going to fix the problem, given that it’s not actually possible to do so.

Fred_the_Dog

I love Alice’s Restaurant!

brooked

@D

Oh look, someone has read one of the hundreds (thousands?) of articles where a conservative writers denounces progressivism, including feminism, as a “cult of victimization”. You can find those articles next to the ones describing how conservatives are victims of PC culture, liberals, MSM, leftists, anti-Christian types, anti-whites POC and cultural Marxism. It’s all very true, fresh and exciting stuff. ZZZZZZZZZ…

strivingally

D:

Misinformed is not the same thing as stupid. We’re not saying the WAF contributors are dumb, we’re saying they are arguing against strawfeminist talking points because they are misinformed about what feminism actually is.

It’s like saying concerned mums who have read the wrong websites are misinformed because they’re convinced that vaccines are a terrible idea. It’s not that they’re stupid, it’s that they have received information that doesn’t reflect the reality, and they’re making decisions and statements that are based on that misinformation.

And BTW “disagreeing with any woman ever (even ones who argue that feminism is bad) is anti-feminist!” is such an old anti-fem talking point I’m pretty sure it needs carbon dating.

Fibinachi

Look, I’m not an expert on the English language. I am barely comprehendible in real life, and I spend a good part of my time doing completely pointless things that will benefit no one but a few people in the long run.

What I’m saying here is, I’m not a model of a perfect citizen.

Yet if I can impart just… one thing. ONE THING, to other people, it’s this.

For the love of everything holy.

When you talk about feminism, your support or your opposition to it, and whether or whether not you agree with the tenets of general first, second, third, fourth, ninth wave femnism

please never ever ever segue into anything related to animal wellfare.

Just don’t.
Please.

I know what you THINK you said was that you support animal wellfare, but you don’t support PETA, because you have problems with their organizational principles. And so it is for you with Feminism, you support female empowerment, but you don’t follow through with that support on all the ideas of feminism because you disagree with X Y Z.

But what it reads like is this:

No. That’s bullshit. I’m all for treating animals decently.

Do you see what’s wrong here?!

At least give it a single sentence before you launch into your tragically flawed analogy, along the lines of:

No. That’s bullshit. I don’t support PETA either, but I’m all for treating animals decently.

This way, my brain doesn’t end up somewhere half between a terrified scream of outrage, an indignant snort and a riotous amount of laughter.

Please. Consider your syntax!

vaiyt

I’m sure “oldschool and traditional feminists” are super glad that they have D to champion their cause. Whatever would they do otherwise?

Unimaginative

@Fibi <3

Fibi: Especially given the number of trolls who intentionally outright compare women to animals.

sparky
sparky

opium4themasses:

Holeee shit. Why is this a thing that exists? Why?

Fibinachi: Ha! Or it’s one hell of a Freudian slip, there.

D : Can you name a prominent “oldschool” or “traditional” feminist? Can you name a prominent modern feminist?

I’m assuming that fanfic was based on this version of Anne Frank, right?

strivingally

Getting REAL TIRED of anti-fem douchebros telling me how good feminism used to be before women started focusing on trivial things, back when they were still fighting for the right to vote and own property.

It’s hard to articulate to Twittertrolls in 140 characters how the modern feminist movement is building on that progress, not selling it out, by continuing the push towards greater equality. A glance at Maslow’s Heirarchy of Needs tells you why issues of subconscious/institutional/structural prejudice weren’t addressed back when women were still fighting to even have a public voice.

“Feminism was great but now it’s gone TOO FAR” is such garbage unless you buy into the idea that women already live in a world where they’ve reached equal footing with men. There’s so much evidence that’s not the case (77c/$1, female representation in upper gov’t/business for just two examples) that it shouldn’t even be a talking point.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

That Disney Anne Frank mockup turned my stomach – ditto the idea of any fanfic about her.

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

@Brooked
and 30 seconds later the conservative who was complaining about Liberals having some sort of victimization culture starts whining about how Christians are totally oppressed because they cant teach creationism or force everyone else to pray or that they might have to show basic human decency to someone who is a minority.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Shorter D – why aren’t feminists steering this damn bus towards my penis? Why does the bus not offer free sandwiches? Feminism has lost its way, by which I mean that it has failed to center itself around me and my needs.

PS – I troll gud.

strivingally

Shorter manosphere: feminism is just a movement that encourages victimhood and sees oppression that isn’t there, but please listen seriously when I tell you how women have been sending men to die in wars for centuries and how they now manipulate men politically, socially, sexually and domestically, and do it all IN SECRET while society is convinced they’re still less fortunate!

But remember, men are rational and women are emotional. *rolls eyes*

Howard Bannister

See, right up to this point in that comment, I was 100% sure he was talking about the MRM.

Sorry, MHRM.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Howard:

I thought the same… Like, how could a movement that wants to open up possibilities accuse non-supporters of being stupid or weak? It’s the “women against feminism” folks that say they aren’t stupid or weak, so they don’t need feminism.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

Didn’t David publish a post about bullshit accusations being made about his 1994 article on the censorship of Salo? I’ll be damned if I can find it. Some asshole named AMRA is on the Catster article spreading that shit around and I want to be prepared in case there’s another salvo.

Liz A (@LizA_from_LA)

Well, it’s the most action we’ve seen over on Catster in a while, so …

brooked

Here’s a link to The Criterion Collection’s page for their blu-ray/DVD reissue of Pasolini’s Salo which, while challenging and controversial, is widely considered to be a film classic. It’s not for kids and has graphic scenes of rape and violence, but it’s screened in museums, art film revival houses and is readily available in the US.

It came in 202nd in the big BFI critics poll list of the 250 greatest films of all timel

Pasolini is a revered filmmaker and was famous enough for Monty Python to have made fun of him.

David Niven’s Fridge: (Michael Palin in the same silly voice as the urn) The nominations for the Best Foreign Film Director are: Monsieur Richard Attenborough, Ricardo de Attenbergie, Rik Artenburg, Ri Char Dat En Bollo, and Pier Paolo Pasolini.

Dickie: Before we hear the joint winner, let’s see the one that came sixth. Let us see Pier Paolo Pasolini’s latest film.

Pasolini’s “The Third Test Match”

Zolnier
Zolnier

Is it misandry to wonder what the Hell happened to Chi Chi in that fanfic? Oh fanfic loves Australia, it’s where you store young witches and wizards until they inexplicably enrol at Hogwarts in their seventh year.

Darlenebertholet
Darlenebertholet

I don’t have a computer but can someone please make a grumpy cat cunfusedcatsagainstfeminism poster!!? It would say I don’t need feminism, because fuck you.
That would be great 🙂

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

@ striving…old rich men in power generally have decided to make war, and most women have been horrified they were going to lose the men they loved in said wars. I’m sure there’s been plenty of jingoistic females, but historically, women aren’t the ones that instigated wars, nor did most men, for that matter.
It was people in power. Usually male, old, and whatever that particular era’s version of elite was.

Historical facts…I know…MRM’s have trouble with historical facts.

Women were famously USED to recruit soldiers. At least for WW1, those “Rape of Belgium” propaganda posters comes to mind.
But it’s not like Belgian women themselves were, en masse, asking to have British men sent to die for them. So women were sort of used as ” cover ” for more economic causes for going to war…War is so often about control of resources when you dig down.

Will you be back to hork up some more reality-challenged statements for us?

marinerachel

We discussed poop here earlier so I’m bringing my immaturity back to this thread. Please permit me a moment of childishness. I just can’t keep it in.

This is totally serious. OK. Here goes: Today I met a urologist named Dr. Poon.

i had a college professor named Dr. Poon! He was an organic chemist, though, not nearly as funny as a urologist.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

My exwife noted that there was a professor of mechanical engineering at the college she worked at, a professor Dingus.

blahlistic (@blahlistic)

@strivingally…shit, I forgot to switch on the sarcasm detector. * feels goofy* What I get for skimming.