antifeminism antifeminist women confused cats against feminism cuteness false accusations irony alert lying liars misogyny MRA straw feminists straw futrelle ugly feminists

The Catster Debates: Or, I inadvertently bring MRAs to an innocent cat website

From that other blog of mine
From that other blog of mine

So I did an interview about my Confused Cats Against Feminism blog with Catster.com, a site that devotes itself to collecting “helpful and hilarious information for the worldly but still infatuated Cat aficionado.” Alas, as a result of publishing this interview with me yesterday, they now seem to be collecting angry MRA commenters as well.

Here are some highlights of the, er, debate so far, which I’ve waded into myself, perhaps unwisely. (These are selections, with a bunch missing, though the comments that look obviously like they are responses to other comments, are.) Maeve Connor is the author of the post about me.

catster1

catster2

catster3

catster4

catster5

Here, by the way, are some of the not-belittling, all-inclusive, non-mocking contributors to Women Against Feminism.

From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism

I’m just taking a wild guess here, but I’m pretty sure none of these gals are “tweens.”

Christopher David Earp

I’m offended that K Pow called Chicago “brash.” How dare she “mock” an entire city. That does not “include the intersectionality” she spoke about someone else talking about. I personally don’t think that starting a conversation with a Chicagoan by mocking them is not the right way to start one. (oh wait, was that a double negative? I guess I think it is the right way).

daintydougal
daintydougal

I used to have pet rats and sometimes I’d carelessly leave delicious fresh ideology on my plate. After pushing them away again and again it’d go quiet for a while until one appeared on my shoulder, as I turned to take her down the other would be dragging the ideology off my plate and escaping into the distance.

I think the furrinarchy actually WANT our ideology in their throats!

pallygirl

My cats won’t let me go my own way. They stand in places forcing me to walk around them. They sit on me and give me feline paralysis.

Melissia

The Ladies Against Women basically buy in to the propaganda of douchebags telling them they’re not worth as much as men. It’s rather disturbing and pitiful.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Re: liquid eyeliner — find a good gel eyeliner, you can get the same look, but since you control how liquid it is, it’s much easier to control. Well, assuming you can work a paintbrush, but that’s not that much harder than an eyeliner pencil. Unless you’re magic, stick with pencil for the lower lids though! /random goth kid makeup tip

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Re: gets kids to take medicine, may vary by kid, don’t know if it’d work on pets — at least in liquid form, leaving it on the counter and saying “don’t touch that” worked well for generations of my female relatives. Put the pill in some human food, be careful not to eat that bit and doggie will steal it off your plate? Idk, fish meds are either liquid or powder, either way you either dose the water or the food, they’re easy to medicate.

Unimaginative

I’m thinking “furzoning” needs to go in the welcome package. I tripped across it in another thread before reading this, and was confused.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

@Lady Mondegreen – I adore your avatar. The Doubtful Guest might be my favorite Gorey work. He’s the greatest.

@hellkell – YES! All the eyeliner! I’m okay with liquid, but it takes me forever. I’ll have to try gel ones again, since Argenti says they’re good gear.

@pallygirl – Cats can’t get enough of you, won’t let you out of their sight?! Sure, just go ahead and boast of your alpha ways to the rest of the furzoned masses! Everybody knows that 80% of the kitties go for 20% of the people twitching feathers on strings. The other 4/5 of would-be petters have to wait until the cats are hungry. Those felines know that a beta will always pony up for a can of tuna, as long as there’s the hope of a quick tummy rub in the mix. Ugh. What a twisted, sick system we live in.

intrepid
intrepid

I don’t think a woman with that much eyeshadow should be calling other people slutty… just saying..

steve
steve

Ha ha ha you are just so funny on here! My cats have been LTAO! Purrfect! Thank you! B-)

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Behold, the natural alpha in her feminist blog habitat! Random cats try to follow me home. My cat follows me around like a duckling even when I don’t have food. And do I share the kitty love with men who’ve been furzoned? No, I do not. Mostly because as much as cats seem to love me that doesn’t mean I can force them to love other people, but still, I’m sure it’s miscattery somehow.

New definition of an MRA, whoops I mean incel, whoops I mean MGTOW – a person so offputting that even hungry dogs won’t go near them, not even if they’re pleading and waving tins of food.

Lea
Lea

If you want a cat to eat your ideology, just hide it inside the cords of your headphones. Cat love to eat headphones.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Or Greenies pill pockets. Come in all sizes, depending on how big your ideology is.

If anyone needs help administering ideology, I’ve spent a lot of time shoving a lot of things down a lot of cats’ throats.

Ugh, I bought this pair because I thought they would be cat proof, but the kittens found the weak point.

AK
AK

My trick to get dogs to take their meds is to get a piece of hotdog, preferably slightly warm so it’s nice and smelly, put the pill in that and then tease the dog a bit with it so they get really excited. Then you give it to them and they wolf it down so fast, they don’t have time to eat around the pill.

bluecatbabe
bluecatbabe

I bought some ideology tablets because they seemed to have a bit of an ideology deficiency a few years ago. At first all I had to do was offer them the tablet and they munched it up. Then they started turning up their little sooty noses at it, so I concealed it in their favourite food. This worked for a bit – 2 or 3 meals – but before long all the food would be gone and there’d just be a shining bowl with a shining ideology pill lying in it. They no longer have an ideology deficit, though, so it’s possible they only liked the pills when they needed them.

For the kind of ideology that removes worms, I basically have to shove it down their throats and then hold their mouths shut for ages (it feels like it’s at least an hour) to be sure they’ve swallowed it. Even so, I sometimes find a regurgitated anti-worm ideology pill on the mat – and as we have two cats, I don’t know whose it is.

weirwoodtreehugger

Somewhat off topic but maybe not because it’s about cats. Dracarys just committed an act of grave misandry. Darrow was napping on the ottoman. Dracarys, after a brief stop for demanding pets from me jumped up on the ottoman and laid down pinning Darrow’s tail under her butt in the process. You know females. They love to oppress men with their butts! After a minute or so Darrow harrumphed down off the ottoman to lie on the floor instead. Satisfied in the completion of her misandric mission, Dracarys left the ottoman to return to her usual lounging spot. The table by the kitchen window. Darrow is still lying on the hard floor just as his human male brethren are forced to abide hard chairs. Usually Darrow chases Dracy away when she dares lie on the ottoman because as a man the ottoman is one of Darrow’s manly privilege. Poor oppressed Darrow will probably now be forced to become a male cat’s rights activist.

hellkell
hellkell

I do have gel liner, and it’s OK, but I think the main problem is that my eyes are just a bit too deep set to do a good wing.

Unimaginative

@marinerachel, me too! I gave up on showering and put some clothes on anyway. Now I’m thinking I really need to cook something, since I’m unfit to be out in public, even long enough to pick up some take-out. And the day started off so promising!

pallygirl

We had issues forcing the ideology down our cats throats, and then we discovered the liquid ideology you dab on the back of their necks. We just make sure the ideology is at room temperature, then one of us holds the cat and the other dabs on the stuff. We originally used Advantage but then switched to Revolution as that is a more broad spectrum ideology.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

This was absolutely the BEST thread to see first thing in the morning. I’m laughing so much I’m getting highly suspicous looks from the Furrinati.

BRB, I have to get the ideology popper and treat Fribs.

GrumpyOldMan

Our four-footed masters include two tuxedos, sisters from the same litter, one is named Ms. Chief and the other is Ms. Conduct to me and Mayhem or Ms. May to the rest of the family. I objected to Mayhem as a name for a cute little furball, but apparently I was wrong. In a 24-hour period she caught 5 mice, eating 2 herself and generously sharing the other 3 with her favorite human pet, my wife. (Wife did not object — in the past the dear little one has occasionally hidden her mice, leading the house to be delightfully permeated with the fragrance of decomposing mouse.) But now I am thinking that I should have been checking the sex of the mice — she may have been guilty of mere mismousetry, she may have been specifically targeting male mice in which case we are dealing with a serious case of mismousandry.

emilygoddess - MOD

So you’re “just saying” that you can tell how much sex a woman has had by her makeup? And that there’s a certain amount of sex that it’s bad for a woman to have had? Please, do elaborate.

pallygirl

The reason that particular photo makes me more uncomfortable than the others has nothing to do what what the person is wearing – it’s that the damn paper is held over her mouth. Pictorally, she is being silenced by what is on that damn paper. As a nod to what that campaign is trying to do, this is an accurate metaphor: the campaign is trying to silence the voices of feminists.

I’m also slightly jealous that the eyeliner effect wasn’t around when I was wearing it. I think I’ll get my makeup done to that effect to see how it looks now.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Back in the day when I had to garb up to go out to work I used really dark eyeshadow so I didn’t have to mess with anything else. I looked made up enough not to be told how tired I looked.

GrumpyOldMan

Re some of the criticisms of David and this blog that have been made recently:
K Pow, who criticized us for mocking the opinions of Tweens, seemed to have missed the part where we suspected the women of having been hired to hold the signs; we really couldn’t criticize their opinions, because we didn’t know what they really thought.

“I’m not 100% comfortable with you, a man, telling women what their reaction to feminism should be (even clearly misguided women like this.) ”
I think that IS a real issue. As a pro-feminist man, I’ve never really come to a firm conclusion as to what my role (if any) should be. Feminism is a very broad and varied collection of people, no two of whom probably believe exactly the same things. It is my perception that most anti-feminist rhetoric relies on gross misrepresentation of the views of most feminists, cherry-picking a few of the more radical positions that a small number of feminists have taken over a long period of time (e.g., Valerie Solanas).

pallygirl

Except, we’re not telling women what their reaction to feminism should be. We are mocking the signs, which are strawfeminism perspectives.

So the mocking is the *misinterpretations of feminism* as opposed to *women’s reactions to feminism*. And it’s not even clear whethere these misinterpretations are originating with women, anyways. Does that make it clearer?

Re feminist males: I think my issue would arise if the feminist males were going “you should” or “you must”, so that issues of agency arise. YMMV.

GrumpyOldMan

Oops, I didn’t mean to post that yet.

I was going to go on to say that I’ve never been sure how much it was appropriate for me to comment on feminist issues — for example, is it all right for me to say that I think the movement has been too white and upper-middle-class and not inclusive enough in the past — but I think it is OK for me to try to counter obvious lies and misrepresentations. But, on the other hand, when you say something like, “Thus-and-so is not mainstream feminism,” to some extent you’re trying to define mainstream feminism and maybe you shouldn’t be doing that. The point is that it can be difficult to be supportive of feminism without crossing the line into trying to impose your views on a woman/women, which is clearly inappropriate.

GrumpyOldMan

And in both comments I was specifically speaking from a man’s point of view — women are obviously free to criticize other women’s views.

GrumpyOldMan

This is a particular issue for me because I am very opinionated and without cautious consideration I slip very easily into being an overbearing jerk.

pallygirl

I’m not an expert here, at all, and I have been reflecting on what you wrote. Maybe some of the issue is around how the thought is expressed – which is what people will use to read intent.

For example, if a male said to me “I think the movement has been too white and upper-middle-class and not inclusive enough in the past” I would be included to leap immediately defensive because it looks like an outsider intent on criticising the past – which none of us can change.

However, that statement can be reframed to “I think it’s great that the movement has shifted being more POC and class inclusive” which is a positive reframing. While this statement has shifted to having an explicit value judgement, whereas the first statement had an implicit value judgement (i.e. that the movement wasn’t as good as it could be because of these deficiencies), I don’t think that is a negative.

Anyone else have thoughts?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I remain confused about what the connection between eye makeup and sex is supposed to be. Do these people think women fuck with our eyelids?

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Do these people think women fuck with our eyelids?

Of course we do. How else do dudebros come over all helpless when women bat their eyelashes? The poor menz are being sexed from afar and don’t even know it.

Shadow
Shadow

@pallygirl

I definitely agree that men should be careful about their interactions with feminism and to think twice before they stick their oar in but I have to admit that this:

rubs me wrong. Maybe it’s just because of the particular examples you’re using, but this seems more like mollycoddling the white, upper-middle-class, etc. feminists, than anything else. What I mean is, intersectionality fails are actively harmful things, rather than some small shortcomings, and I don’t think anyone is owed a soft admonition when that happens. Intent obviously matters, but it’s usually pretty clear rather quickly, particularly to members of the affected group. as to who is acting as an ally on your behalf, and who is using you as a stick to beat feminism with. My general thing is that members of an outgroup should refrain from commenting on/attempting to fix things that happen between relatively equal members of a group, but that it is incumbent on all of us to speak out if we notice someone using their privilege against someone else.

Your example specifically said “past”, so I don’t know if you’re speaking only to that example, or if you’re using that as sort of a baseline. If you are speaking specifically then the previous paragraph should be read in a Charlie Brown’s teacher voice

Shadow
Shadow

I’m honestly baffled that people are trying to link a style THAT common to any particular characteristic. What next, you’re going to tell us the defining trait of men who spike their hair?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Spiked hair means that you’re an arsonist, obviously.

pallygirl

@Shadow I used that example because that was the one that @GrumpyOldMan gave, my comment was in direct response to his comment. So please don’t generalise my comment.

Shadow
Shadow

@pallygirl

Fair enough, Charlie Brown teacher voice it is then 😛

@Cassandra

I can’t front, there was definitely a strong overlap between the years I was obsessed with pyrotechnics, and my hair being spiked. My mind is blown

Unimaginative

I’m uncomfortable taking a stance that precludes anyone being able to express an opinion. I think people are often assholes in the way they go about it, and need to be shot down. But I have, for example, opinions about what’s going on in Gaza, even though I have no ties to anyone actively involved. I have opinions about the effects and legacy of Residential Schools, even though I’m not aboriginal.

I don’t always express them well, and I’m certainly capable of getting my facts wrong. I think the onus on me, as an out-member of a group (is that a thing?), to be respectful and open to correction and differing opinions, especially from in-members. However, I don’t think it’s helpful to outright disallow opinions from out-members.

I hope this is more coherent than it feels like…

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Today’s random awesome video – bear sees crow drowning, pulls it out of the water, goes right back to eating apples.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

People on youtube are saying the bear backed off because the crow pecked zir nose (which is correct) but you’d think the bear would just swat the crow if zie’d had a snack in mind.

My latest Confused Cats:

Mamie

Katie

tesformes

@unimaginative

Yeah, you’re clear, and I second you. The distinction I think you’re both trying to make is that criticism doesn’t take place in a vacuum, and the reasons for why it’s being voiced and how it’s voiced are important to how it is received and handled. People don’t object to mansplaining because it’s men criticizing them, they object to it because it is patronizing and silencing. Feminists criticize each other regularly, and a well thought out criticism made in good faith is given its fair public hearing in academia and over the internet. I’ve never encountered a man making a constructive comment about a feminist issue get shot down because of his gender, or at all. It really just comes down to the reality that we are very much responsible for the way people perceive what we say. A woman just randomly remarking on feminism’s white-dominated past with no particular point to make would be looked at a little suspect. Why is she bringing this up? Who randomly throws out criticism of what a social movement used to be like? A man doing so is presumably looked at slightly more askance. I think this is reasonable.

marinerachel
marinerachel

Just had a great poop, guys. Super quick and super clean.

Saphy
Saphy

@ marinerachel

We’re all proud of you.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

marinerachel, huzzah!

Makes a nice change, doesn’t it?

Saphy
Saphy

Actually one of my high-school memories is the fact that we girls shared poop updates with each other. Hm.
“I went for a great run this morning. By the time I got to the park I needed to poo and couldn’t hold it in so I went to the public toilets. Amazing poo, guys.”

I think we may have been odd teenagers.

marinerachel
marinerachel

A good poop can be revelatory.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

My kitties certainly think so.