antifeminism antifeminist women confused cats against feminism cuteness false accusations irony alert lying liars misogyny MRA straw feminists straw futrelle ugly feminists

The Catster Debates: Or, I inadvertently bring MRAs to an innocent cat website

From that other blog of mine
From that other blog of mine

So I did an interview about my Confused Cats Against Feminism blog with Catster.com, a site that devotes itself to collecting “helpful and hilarious information for the worldly but still infatuated Cat aficionado.” Alas, as a result of publishing this interview with me yesterday, they now seem to be collecting angry MRA commenters as well.

Here are some highlights of the, er, debate so far, which I’ve waded into myself, perhaps unwisely. (These are selections, with a bunch missing, though the comments that look obviously like they are responses to other comments, are.) Maeve Connor is the author of the post about me.

catster1

catster2

catster3

catster4

catster5

Here, by the way, are some of the not-belittling, all-inclusive, non-mocking contributors to Women Against Feminism.

From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism

I’m just taking a wild guess here, but I’m pretty sure none of these gals are “tweens.”

chaltab
chaltab

This isn’t even concern trolling. It’s like concern-running-into-a-mine-with-a-stick-of-dynamite.

Sarah
Sarah

Dude is whining about comparing women to cats? Feh. Vox Day and company frequently compare women to dogs.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Divergent dude needs to go back to school to relearn analogies. Mocking comments that themselves criticise an ideology (feminism) is not the same as mocking females (a group of people). The comments are being mocked, not the people themselves.

K Pow started off their comments with “I think”. That’s the key issue, they didn’t.

cloudiah

Love your replies to them. Maeve is pretty funny herself!

Hey David, apologies in advance for being needy, but if you put my kittens up, it might help them get adopted. They have had a very hard time getting placed.

weirwoodtreehugger

Nobody here but trolls would ever tell anyone they deserve to be raped. Wtf?

k
k

@katz
Maybe make a “we dont need feminizm, ee need a home” pics?

pallygirl
pallygirl

@katz: 🙁 good luck with placing the kitties.

sparky
sparky

David, how dare you brainwash your poor cats with feminists ideology!

Seriously, though, it’s AOK for WAF to call feminist women stupid, weak, ugly and slutty, but having cats hold parody signs is demeaning and belittling. Sure. OK.

Alison
Alison

I did a search on the image of the 3rd woman down because I thought it looked a bit dodgy but apparently she’s a real actual anti feminist. I just can’t imagine why a woman would say those things.

kittehserf

Every time you think MRAs and feMRAs can’t get any more stupid, they prove you wrong.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Katz, where are your kitties located?

Los Angeles.

Aerinea
Aerinea

Wow. The ignorance of some people. I’m guessing MRA’s and their ilk have no comprehension of satire or parody. They may think they do, but they really don’t.

Saphy
Saphy

Poor kitties, their fluffy bodies exploited for such dreaaaaadful propaganda by stupid, evil, ugly feminists. Won’t someone think of CATS’ RIGHTS??

Saphy
Saphy

also wtf is with “here in Portland” as some statement of social superiority over Chicago? sure Portland is amazing, but you should tone down your entitled hipster misogyny if you really want to do it some justice.

Saphy
Saphy

(I don’t think my last sentence made enough sense so I am going to call it a night and be more coherent later)

Luzbelitx

You need all the bad faith you can gather to claim feminists yell rape threats.

Almost like you can’t tell between what you do and what you think feminists do.

GrumpyOldMan

Saphy: Bit questionable in syntax, but your point came through.

I’ve been to Portland. That sentence made perfect sense.

kittehserf

When I think of Portland it’s as likely to be Portland, Victoria, which I’ve visited twice and never want to see again … think aluminium smelter, small working town now turning into unemployment black hole, and a bloody long way from anywhere.

Portland, Oregon, I wouldn’t mind seeing, though. Oregon sounds nice.

kittehserf

Forgot to add I loved the touristy end of Chicago I stayed at. Could never afford to live there, of course, but I liked the feel of the place.

pallygirl
pallygirl

I wonder if the critics of confused cats against feminism accurately tell people what they get up to:

“Well, today I spent hours pointing out that cats sitting next to signs are having ideology pushed down their throats. I also typed a lot of things in capitals and held down the exclamation bar. I’m an online activist.”

Where were all these animal rights people when dogs were being shamed (e.g. http://www.dogshaming.com/)? What do these people have against dogs?

Cinzia La Strega

Look, I haven’t got anything against cats, but who’s giving dogs a voice in this debate? Will someone please consider their points of view? I mean, there are plenty of cute dogs that don’t need feminism either, you know!

pallygirl
pallygirl

And by exclamation bar, I meant key. I have not had enough coffee yet.

And gazooks, the miracles of two posts crossing above ^^^

marinerachel
marinerachel

I love when kitties cover their eyes to sleep. One of the cats I grew up with tucked her face into the carpet to sleep. It was great.

augochlorella

I picked up the cat arm-over-face-while-sleeping thing from the family cat when I was a kid. I still do it.

hellkell
hellkell

Someone should tell K Pow that “Portlandia” wasn’t supposed to be a documentary.

Robert
Robert

I’m just high enough to wonder if some of these MRAs are simply performance artists. It’s an explanation that requires a minimum of additional questions.

The idea that they are in dead earnest* is too dreary to consider.

*As opposed to the maggots, who are in dead Ernest.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

I guess it was only a matter of time until the cries of “what about teh muttz?” began.

kittehserf

I guffawed.

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

RE: Kittehs

Portland, Oregon, I wouldn’t mind seeing, though. Oregon sounds nice.

I’ve heard it’s nice, but also Hipsterland, Land of the Hipsters. Also a lot of comics folks apparently live there. (Seriously, it’s like all the queers move to San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, or New York. I don’t know how they afford the rent.)

Forgot to add I loved the touristy end of Chicago I stayed at.

Still mad my health wrecked before I could meet you. 🙁

Bina
Bina

I need to make a kitteh meme promoting dawgz rightz.

Also, any man who tells a woman to get raped is the opposite of a feminist. In short, an MRA.

Bina
Bina

Also, an Amy Winehouse lookalike calling me slutty? Irony, thy name is WAF. (Or maybe that should just be WTF?)

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Hey, now, less hate on big hair and lots of eyeliner! If my little ones would let me have more than five minutes to do my makeup, I’d rock that look every day (the big hair takes care of itself, thanks to genetics and humidity).

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

Er, some of my comments are still awaiting moderation?

I swear, I need to find an easier way to advertise my writeathons without getting modded for the first day or two of them.

kittehserf

They got et by the spam monster. Dunno why, apart from the standard answer of “WordPress is stoopud.”

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

Eesh. I wish I knew what it was I was doing that keeps getting me spammed. I know I add the “with an open writeathon!” and change my URL, but the email is still the same! *spreads hands* HOW DO WORDPRESS

Falconer

David Futrelle is full of lies and opportunist.

Maybe David ought to let the opportunist go.

kittehserf

He can’t. The opportunist is a cat (or cats).

LBT (with an open writeathon!)

DAVID HAS BEEN EATING LIES AND OPPORTUNISTS! That’s why he’s full of them!

theladyzombie

As an experiment, I tried to indoctrinate my cats in feminism. One fell asleep and the other wandered off to look out the window.

pallygirl
pallygirl

@Robert and @Flying Mouse: I chortled.

Sunflower

Like he’s really concerned about women being compared to animals like mras and anti feminists already do. He probably turns around and does the same thing.

emilygoddess - MOD

They’re doing the Furby thing again: they’ve hear these arguments (“you’re comparing women to animals”, “those poor girls are tweens”) before and can repeat them pretty convincingly, but they don’t understand what the words actually mean or how to use them properly.

Or maybe silly, inept movie aliens would be a better analogy: when human feminists use these arguments, people agree with them, so I will use the same arguments against human feminists and people will agree with me! Fortunately, like silly movie aliens, their inability to understand how the words work prevents them from convincing anyone.

emilygoddess - MOD

Bina, why are you calling a woman slutty based just on her photo? For that matter, why are you calling a woan slutty at all?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Also, Winehouse is dead, and it wasn’t that long ago, so can we maybe let her settle into her grave before we start using her as an illustration of what’s wrong with Girls These Days? In other words, yeah, my eyebrows shot right up to my hairline when I read that comment too.

Jacqueline
Jacqueline

I’m not well versed or educated in feminism, I know what I’ve heard and read in articles that I pass by online. but In my life, feminism is how me and my friend will try to compliment each other on something other than our looks or how we do the walk for rape relief. we have a new rape relief shelter for men in our city which we though was cool. Now maybe feminism has become about demeaning men or negatively affecting others rights. But to me, it’s when my friend says that girls can’t do business and I respond by saying that “just because you can’t do business doesn’t mean all girls can’t”. I don’t like when my family says that my guy cousin should play the field, but that my girlfriend is slutty because she dated 2 guys in the same year only a few months apart from each other.

I don’t know why we can’t try to fight against inequality in both genders without putting the other gender down. It’s like with my little brothers, if I compliment one and the other is in earshot, it’s as if I’m putting the other one down & complains that I don’t like him. This may be simplified, but from my little knowledge of the topic, I get this feelings from different comments I’ve read. Like I said, I’m not an expert on feminism, this is just my limited view & it’s just frustrating to see all this negativity, when what I think most of us are wanting to do is just live in a world where we can behave and dress the way that we enjoy, without being limited or rejected based on our gender.

Jacqueline
Jacqueline

Also this brings to mind how some people will treat gay or lesbian couples badly or in hateful manner and say they are doing it in the name of Jesus or Christianity when all the Christians I know would be appalled at such behavior. Does this mean that Christianity calls for homophobia? Or does it mean that some assholes are trying to justify their hatred. Honestly, I’d have to know way more about feminism to say what it is or isn’t, but in my personal life it has encouraged me and my girlfriends to treat each other and ourselves better & to be there for people that have been hurt & blamed for things that aren’t their fault because of distorted society views

brooked

David better hope the old saw that you can judge a man by the quality of his enemies isn’t true, at least on Twitter. There was JudgyB’s drunken thrashing, Esmay’s hatemongering bigoted hatemongers, Vox’s imaginary debate and Attila hiring Google, PI, and now Tom Martin has managed to make less sense the the rest of the clown crew combined. You’d think one of these doofuses would manage to tweet a functioning insult or criticism, but nope.

1 2 3 6