antifeminism confused cats against feminism

In which I get an email from Women Against Feminism [CORRECTION: THE EMAIL WAS FROM A COPYCAT SITE]

Type type type
Type type type

CORRECTION: THIS NOTE WAS NOT FROM THE OFFICIAL “WOMEN AGAINST FEMINISM” PAGE; IT WAS FROM A COPYCAT SITE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO IGNORE IT OR AT LEAST TO LAUGH AT IT FOR THE CORRECT REASON. SORRY!

Just posted this on Confused Cats Against Feminism, but it was too good not to post here as well:

So I just got this curiously impersonal email from the admin at Women Against Feminism. (Gosh! Could it be a form letter?)

Hi David Futrelle,

I wanted to say thanks for writing the article about Women Against Feminism.

Whilst it’s clear that we don’t agree on all points, hearing both sides of the argument will get more people thinking about what they believe in and which set of points they feel aligned with more closely.

This can only be a positive step forward, not only for women, but for society as a whole.

To help get more people thinking about what they really believe, I was wondering if you could make add a link to our new website in your article?

We’re trying to create a centrally located hub where the discussion about Women and Feminism can flourish, with everyone getting a chance to share their opinions, and we believe that a website is the best place to do it.

Would you be able to help facilitate that conversation by adding a link to the site?

The URL is http://womenagainstfeminism.com

Once again, thanks for furthering the discussion about women and feminism through your article. Even though we don’t agree on all the same points, we really appreciate getting these concepts heard and empowering people to make up their own mind.

Many thanks,

[name and email redacted]

So I wrote back:

There already is a central hub for this discussion: http://confusedcatsagainstfeminism.tumblr.com/

Could you redirect all of your traffic there? Thanks!

maistrechat

You seem to be mistaken.

We are all David Futrelle here.

Soon you too will be David Futrelle.

One of us! One of us!

bunnybunny
bunnybunny

She apparently billed herself as the director of WAF in order to get on the Today show; they IDed her as such.

“Oops, did I say I was THE director of Women Against Feminism? What i meant was I just occasionally direct women against feminism, all the time. Whore.”

cloudiah

I have not tried that cookie butter. What do you eat it with? (Or do you just eat it by itself?)

This is what JudgyBitch is saying on Reddit:

Just to clarify, I did not start the Tumblr and I do not own the FB page but I am the most active on the twitter hashtag. The owner of the FB page is not publicly known but the level of threats she has gotten through the FB page have frightened her off ever coming out publicly. She is happy for me to take passive credit. I tell the truth when actively asked, but do not volunteer it, to help keep the real owner out of the spotlight.

So I guess taking passive credit involves actively misrepresenting yourself as the creator in order to get on TV.

Ally S

You can have cookie butter with anything, including bread (which makes for a very euphoric breakfast), but eating it with a spoon is just fine and dandy as well.

Ally and cloudiah are cracking me up.

Saphy
Saphy

Cookie butter?? Mother of god, why don’t I live in the US?!

Ally S

Speaking of food, there’s this place in Santa Cruz called Surfrider Cafe, and it’s absolutely wonderful. They have avocado fries served with a spicy mayo sauce. Avocado fries! I didn’t eat them because I don’t like avocadoes in anything except guacamole, but they smelled delicious.

Wow. Just wow. That’s some impressively direct and unrepentant lying right there.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

The bookers can get a little testy when they are lied to.

Ally S

Maybe if JB had more cookie butter in her life, she wouldn’t be so tempted to make up shit excuses for lying.

LBT
LBT

Hey readers, just letting you know that my writeathon will be opening TOMORROW! The topic will be dreams and nightmares! I’m also throwing a half-price sale on orphaned stories that opened TODAY. So if you ever wanted to sponsor a story but lacked the cash, maybe this is your chance!

sparky
sparky

Misinformation and feminism go together like peanut butter, jelly and David Futrelle.

This is exactly what the AVFM article states:

Janet Bloomfield, Social Media Director for A Voice for Men, and the director of Women Against Feminism, will be pushing the men’s movement message forward in two major media appearances in the near future.

So, AVFM has put out misinformation, and this is somehow feminism’s fault?

Ally S

It’s only a matter of time before AVFM’s technical staff blames feminism for website design failures.

“The CSS isn’t loading properly. How dare you, feminism!”
“The server has crashed. Feminism is at it again!”
“We all know that feminists love to destroy men’s human rights activism by existing while we fuck up the JavaScript for our webpages.”

Carodwen Nightwillow

I don’t see it as a win or a loss. I see it as sad. Instead of the people of feminism as a whole coming out and saying. “Oh damn where did we go wrong to get 17 thousand people to come out against us? How do we fix this and help everyone understand we want what you want. No radicals doing horrible things in our name. We don’t support that at all We just want equality around the world” Instead of doing that. The first thought in all y’alls mind is lets make a bunch of tumblrs mocking them calling them names and telling the world just how stupid these women are. Yup. That is showing them how much womans rights you are…. Do none of you realize how that makes you all look? Do you care that 17k people are so afraid of feminism that they are publicly denouncing it? Are you not interested in trying to see that there may be an issue someone in the fold? I hear alot how the “patriarchy is bad and misogynists need to be stopped.” Misogyny by definition is mi·sog·y·ny
məˈsäjənē/Submit
noun
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.
“she felt she was struggling against thinly disguised misogyny”

Who are the Misogynists in this picture though? The women showing fear of feminism and a misunderstanding of what feminism was supposed to be? You got women on that site saying conservative woman are not woman enough to be protected. What the wha? I thought all women were supposed to be equal? Is feminism about equality or is it about politics? Because I was under the impression I was fighting for total gender equality not idiots that divide people based on politics? I am not interested in political labels and choosing jackasses or elephants. I am interested in equality? Actual equality and not based on gender. Human. No more no less? So I ask. What is feminism fighting for? Woman only? Humans? Liberals in America? Cause I’ll tell ya what the Radicals are writing the laws winning the office seats running the board rooms and getting shit done. The non radicals (excuse me the ones who aren’t all like that. They are on tumblr making fun of 17 thousand women turning into the misogynists they claim to hate. So with all due respect, maybe a tumblr meant to mock these women isn’t the exact way to handle this situation.
Blessed Be.

M.E. Evans

“Anti-feminist woman.” Read: Uneducated woman who doesn’t have a dictionary on hand.

Ally S

Whether some women decide to oppose feminism for reactionary reasons isn’t our problem.

Ok, I’ll give you that – that’s definitely not what any women’s movment should be supportive of. Fortunately most feminists don’t share that view of conservative women – they just criticize conservative women for supporting misogyny.

The women supporting – intentionally or otherwise – reactionary ideas that support patriarchy. That means all of the women on that site.

What is feminism fighting for? Woman only?

Who else would it be fighting for, dumbass?

Fuck off. Criticizing women for being misogynists is nothing like actually being misogynistic.

JB is coming across like one of those kids who thinks they won’t get in trouble because the exact words they said technically weren’t a lie.

Carodwen Nightwillow

Well you don’t know what feminism is you didnt answer anything next poster?

cloudiah

I mean people in the civil rights movement should clearly have looked at the fact that so many people opposed them in the U.S. and concluded it was because they were doing something wrong.

Carodwen Nightwillow

This is why I don’t bother giving a shit about feminists groups. you only care about one another you give no actual shits about anyone else. I have learned all I need to know. Enjoy your ideology. and know that when it fails its women like you that caused it.

cloudiah

Besides, we’ve got way more than 17,000 cats on OUR side.

bunnybunny
bunnybunny

Concern trolls are by far the most annoying brand of troll out there.

cloudiah

katz, we need you to score that flounce.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

We didn’t go wrong to get 17 thousand people against womens rights. There have always been far more than that. Many of them are standing outside womens clinics taking our pictures and calling us murderers.

Ally S

Nice job not addressing a single thing I said, trolly.

sparky
sparky

Carodwen Nightwillow: What the hell makes you think feminism has done something wrong? What exactly has feminism done to drive people away? What horrible things are radicals doing in feminsim’s name?

And are you actually trying to say that feminists can’t criticize other women? That women can’t be stupid? We’re calling their stupid because they are stupid. “I’m against feminism because I don’t want to grow out my underarm hair” is in no way, shape or form an intelligent or rational criticism of feminism.

Who said that? Cause, I haven’t heard anyone here make that argument. And I haven’t seen it on the Confised Cat tumblr, either.

What? What laws? And I thought the radicals were bad. None of this makes a bit of sense.

No, actually, a tumbr mocking anti-feminist women for saying things like, “I’m not a feminist because feminists are mean and ugly and hate men and I’m pretty and like to cook,” is exactly the way to handle the situation.

Nequam
Nequam

Huh, curious. There’s a place in Seal Beach called Beachwood BBQ that has portobello mushroom fries, which are quite good (they have a lot of unusual dishes along with their basically excellent brisket and pulled pork, including a wild mushroom stew bedded on blue cheese grits and a lamb burger that has *strawberries* on it– and that’s a better mix than you might think at first glance!).

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

Carodwen, misogyny refers to a hatred of women as a whole, simply for the fact that they are women. It does not mean that criticizing any woman is misogyny. Showing dislike for a woman or disagreeing with a group of women based on their opinions and ideologies != misogyny.

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

Concern trolls are always deeply concerned when they see instances of women, particularly feminists, going round acting like people. It is a violation of the “global accords governing the fair use of women”.

katz, we need you to score that flounce.

Meh, 3/10. Classic mistake: Failing to wait long enough to convince anyone that you actually changed your mind.

sparky
sparky

Enjoy your ideology.

Well, thanks, Carodwen, I certainly shall enjoy my feminism here.

Jarred H

I have learned all I need to know.

I think you might have meant to say “I have found something I can point to and insist that it proves the conclusions I had already reached before entering this conversation.”

thebewilderness
thebewilderness

I think that is a pretty common concern troll tactic. Say your say and then flounce.

Kakanian
Kakanian

@Carodwen Nightwillow

With half of the human population being female, 17k followers of undetermined gender and a bunch of people whose only way of generating an income is uploading photos of themselves holding sings is barely a drop in the bucket.

Plus it’s not like finding literature on feminism is challenging.

What’s more, posting images of cats claiming to not care for feminism can hardly count as a personal attack.

Kate
Kate

Concern trolls like that make me want to somehow make them take courses on the suffragette movement, from at least Wollenstonecraft to the present, and for the final exam I’d like the concern trolls to put in order the arguments of those who denounced the movement from that day to this. If they managed to put the same statement repeated ad naseum without distinguishing characteristics in order then they are good enough at detecting tone to tone troll.

If not then I’d hope that the demonstration that the arguments against feminism haven’t changed in that whole time would help them realize that pointing out the tone of the discussion won’t move an anti- one way or the other… but then I’m a hopeless optimist!

Kate
Kate

drats “out in order” should have been “put in date order”

Kate
Kate

and with that I’m giving up on typing for the rest of the afternoon… stupid finters… durr… finGers!

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Carodwen, do you know what “trolling” means? That site may not be the original WAF, but I doubt someone went to all the effort to set it up and stock it with photos just to troll David.

As for your tl;dr: mocking women for their opinions is not misogyny. Feminism doesn’t mean supporting everything that every woman does, ever, and I don’t know why you idiots keep pretending it does.

I love how you think this is new.

Blessed Be

Ew GTFO my religion.

Carodwen Nightwillow

“Blessed Be

Ew GTFO my religion.”

I think I’ll stay just to get on your nerves 🙂 BLESSED BE!

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Shit, guys! Did you know David is fat?!

AHAHAHAHAHA oh my god. Never change, JB!

Cookie butter?? Mother of god, why don’t I live in the US?!

We didn’t even invent it – that honor goes to the Belgians. Do they have Speculoos where you live?

Well you don’t know what feminism is you didnt answer anything next poster?

Maybe they “didn’t answer anything” because they couldn’t find a question under all that barely-readable spew? For example, this sentence, which I can’t even parse.

you only care about one another you give no actual shits about anyone else.

Kinda like how Ally just denounced the women who were shitting on conservative women? Which I also would have done except I just got here?

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Carodwen, feel free to address any of the actual points being made.

saphy
saphy

Couldn’t stick the flounce…

cloudiah

What’s the standard deduction for failure to stick the flounce? 1 point? 2?

saphy
saphy

@emilygoddesa

I have not heard of Speculoos but it will be my life’s work to learn more about them and how I can put them into my belly.

Yep, two point deduction. Also, “blessed be?” Are we in the Handmaid’s Tale?

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Katz, what? Lots of Pagans and Wiccans sign off with “blessed be”. It’s also a thing we actually say in rituals and other gatherings.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Katz — it’s a fairly standard way of wishing someone well among pagans of various stripes. As a horrid analogy, picture Sunshine Mary saying what Carodwen did and ending it with, idk, “God Bless” or something.

Emilygoddess — I’m with you, she can GTFO, wtf, ending her spewing with a smilie would be less offensive >.<

I’m very sorry, I actually didn’t know that!

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

I figured it was an innocent mistake. Yay for learning new things!

Yay for learning new things!

Yay!