antifeminism confused cats against feminism

In which I get an email from Women Against Feminism [CORRECTION: THE EMAIL WAS FROM A COPYCAT SITE]

Type type type
Type type type

CORRECTION: THIS NOTE WAS NOT FROM THE OFFICIAL “WOMEN AGAINST FEMINISM” PAGE; IT WAS FROM A COPYCAT SITE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO IGNORE IT OR AT LEAST TO LAUGH AT IT FOR THE CORRECT REASON. SORRY!

Just posted this on Confused Cats Against Feminism, but it was too good not to post here as well:

So I just got this curiously impersonal email from the admin at Women Against Feminism. (Gosh! Could it be a form letter?)

Hi David Futrelle,

I wanted to say thanks for writing the article about Women Against Feminism.

Whilst it’s clear that we don’t agree on all points, hearing both sides of the argument will get more people thinking about what they believe in and which set of points they feel aligned with more closely.

This can only be a positive step forward, not only for women, but for society as a whole.

To help get more people thinking about what they really believe, I was wondering if you could make add a link to our new website in your article?

We’re trying to create a centrally located hub where the discussion about Women and Feminism can flourish, with everyone getting a chance to share their opinions, and we believe that a website is the best place to do it.

Would you be able to help facilitate that conversation by adding a link to the site?

The URL is http://womenagainstfeminism.com

Once again, thanks for furthering the discussion about women and feminism through your article. Even though we don’t agree on all the same points, we really appreciate getting these concepts heard and empowering people to make up their own mind.

Many thanks,

[name and email redacted]

So I wrote back:

There already is a central hub for this discussion: http://confusedcatsagainstfeminism.tumblr.com/

Could you redirect all of your traffic there? Thanks!

bunnybunny
bunnybunny

Well played, David.

bunnybunny
bunnybunny

Also, that kitty gif is making the bunny gif my avatar came from look remarkably unproductive.

Diana

ha! Well played, and quite interesting as a bit of communication from their Tumblr.

cloudiah

Cute little typing kitty wins the thread.

Bina
Bina

Pppppffffffffft.

(the only logical response to such an illogical statement)

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Once again cats have proven to be more coherent than whoever is running that site.

maistrechat

I feel like this is one of the many occasions when this letter from the lawyer for the Cleveland Browns would be an appropriate response:
(PDF warning)

maistrechat

Note that the letter I’m referring to is the second page of the linked PDF. Not the one on the first page.

thewatchingdog
thewatchingdog

This is there new organized “push” against women’s rights discussions…on Twitter a few days ago ( right after the AVFM live YouTube thing I think) the “mensrightsrdt” account was flooding various hashtags with a tweet that went roughly like “Great Read” and had a link to a woman against feminism reddit page #feminism is hate But when you clicked the link..the Woman against feminism thread or sub..idk..was completely empty..No posts..Brand new I guess and was hours later also..the guy on twitter has obviously gotten the “marching orders” to spread Woman against feminism! on social media..but hadn’t apparently checked to see if anyone had posted (or created some) posts to put on it..This is so clearly a organized plan manufacture a social media “trend”

Sarah
Sarah

Is the admin at that “women against feminism” page bothering to read their own submissions? Look at this one: “I don’t hate men. I just have nothing good to say about them. Ever.”

(I mean, not that I oppose trolling the page, which that one was obviously doing, but it does make these women against feminism look bloody incompetent.)

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

maistrechat, that brightened my day. Thanks!

Because nothing says “a centrally located hub where the discussion about Women and Feminism can flourish, with everyone getting a chance to share their opinions” like a site called “women against feminism.”

chimisaur
chimisaur

maistrechat, that letter was amazing, thank you! Also, did anyone else spot the “make add” in the form letter to David? Really, if you’re going to send the same letter to everyone that so much as mentions you online, you should probably bother to proofread it. I’m with Sarah on that point – the whole thing looks sloppy and disorganized.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Wow. The email writer probably busted a nut trying to sound so neutral.
It’s almost as if the writer thought taking on such a laughably neutral tone would make people forget “women against feminism” posted sentiments like, “I’m not a feminist because I like shaving my legs!”

cerberusxt

I had no idea you could cram so much hypocrisy into a single mail.

YoullNeverGuess
YoullNeverGuess

Sarah, that is a picture of Janeane Garofalo, an actress and comedian who is a vocal feminist. She probably made a joke along those lines, and it got put into a meme. It fits with the idea of Women Against Feminsm because it implies all feminists hate men.

MaudeLL

@Sarah
There are a few others like that. I don’t think they’re people trolling, it seems like anti-feminist tropes. In other words, that “I don’t hate men” image is supposed to represent a feminist. If you scroll down, you can also see the picture of a woman with a low cut dress and ‘slut’ written on her chest, with the caption “stop objectifying me”. Or another one with “Gender roles are oppression. Now let me tell you how to be a real man”.
They’re just standard MRA tropes.

titianblue
titianblue

David, you do realise that JB is “the director of Women Against Feminism”? You couldn’t make this up!

I’m just surprised the letter wan’t littered with “wh0re”s…

magnesium
magnesium

Dear RECIPIENT,
I am a big fan of your very popular, high traffic website, WEBSITE-NAME.COM. I believe we can foster a healthy discussion on this subject on my website, no matter what people believe. It will be very empowering and neutral and intellectual. Please remove all of your website’s content and just post a giant link to my totally neutral discussion website, Women-Are-Dumb-And-I-Hate-Them.biz.
Thank You!

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

The JB connection makes the whole “plz link to us plz omg we’re so lonely over here” thing even funnier.

“Director?” So much for being a grassroots thing XD

insanitybytes22

LOL! Hey, discussion and debate is always good! And you have to laugh about the whole thing. I mean, even anti-fems are being drawn to the mammoth hunters and the confused cats.

tessiee
tessiee

OK, magnesium wins the internet for today.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

titianblue, OMG, I can’t wait for those TV appearances. I hope she’s as eloquent and professional on TV as she is online!

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

Someone with a higher tolerance for bullshit than me could probably wreck them by finding enough fiverr people posts.

Also a HEY LOOK AT THE TRASH THAT RUNS IT post because JB would repel a lot of the “i have no idea what feminism actually is” types who are just sadly ignorant

Carodwen Nightwillow

LOL you got trolled. That is not the WAF. They dont have a dot com. Its kinda funny to see you get trolled and not realize it though. Karma

Sarah
Sarah

@Sarah
They’re just standard MRA tropes.

Taking a second look at that, I think you’re probably right, although it does kind of negate the whole thing about having a–what was it?–“positive step forward, with everyone getting a chance to share their opinions.”

On another note, I just remembered a post I read a while back at Alpha Game and I was wondering if the “women against feminism” thing might be at least partly a response to this. Quote:

One major distinction I have noticed between the Pickup Artist community and the Men’s Rights activists is that the latter tend to be of lower socio-sexual status and less aware of Game. They tend to be enthusiastic about female involvement rather than wary. So, rather than simply accepting women of sympathetic views as allies while keeping them at arms length as the Game community does, the MRAs appear to welcome them as members and even spokeswomen.

[…]

It will not take long for “advocating for the rights of men and women!” to transform into yet another form of women’s rights advocacy. It is one thing to welcome a friendly passenger to the back seat, another to hand them the keys and trust that they both know, and want to go, where you were intending to drive.

Because “women ruin everything,” in the world according to him. Whatever.

bunnybunny
bunnybunny

Or can get there at all, since women can’t drive. /s

SoIGuessPeopleDidntTake"Manboobz"Seriously?
SoIGuessPeopleDidntTake"Manboobz"Seriously?

Lol, your usual failure to fact-check is showing, Dave; that’s not from the creator of Women Against Feminism and she doesn’t have a site. And, to titianblue who commented above, Janet Bloomfield is not behind Women Against Feminism. If you’d scrolled down on the page you linked to on AVFM, you could’ve read it for yourself (and heard the audio of JB saying it).

Misinformation and feminism go together like peanut butter, jelly and David Futrelle.

Saphy
Saphy

I don’t understand what Carodwen thinks has happened, or why it is an apparent victory for zir.

Saphy
Saphy

Also the comment above mine really needs evil laughter.

Ally S

@SIGPDTMS

David already corrected the article.

I hope you don’t think this counts as being clever.

cloudiah

Everyone knows Futrelle goes better with peanut butter and chocolate.

cloudiah

Or maybe oil and vinegar.

cloudiah

Or mango and vodka.

Ally S

Or hummus and olive oil.

Ally S

Or mint chip and cookie dough.

cloudiah

Or caramel and vanilla.

cloudiah

Or coffee and cream.

Ally S

Or strawberries and cream.

Ally S

Or salt and pepper.

cloudiah

But seriously, “It wasn’t this specific group of anti-feminists who sent you a ridiculous letter, it was a completely different group of anti-feminists engaged in the exact same campaign as the first!” may not be quite the “Gotcha!” you think.

cloudiah

Or thin, crispy french fries and aioli.

cloudiah

Or anything with ranch dressing. Seriously, I’d eat a piece of cardboard dipped in Trader Joe’s ranch dressing.

cloudiah

I should probably go eat lunch.

titianblue
titianblue

Why the hell would I scroll down the article when AVFM couldn’t be arsed to correct the very first paragraph?

malcolm johnston (@malcolmingabout)

Oh my gosh Mr. Futrelle, you are so very very clever. Your followers must be eternally grateful for your cleverness.

Jarred H

@titianblue: Seriously! And isn’t JB part of AVFM. So if AVFM is incorrectly giving her credit for something for which she doesn’t deserve credit, that’s saying something.

Ally S

@cloudiah

I shop at Trader Joe’s from time to time. Have you ever tried their cookie butter? It’s fucking heavenly.

1 2 3 4