a voice for men antifeminism confused cats against feminism facepalm kitties mansplaining misogyny MRA that's completely wrong

Confused Dudes Confused by Confused Cats Against Feminism

Sweetie Pie Jonus pities the fools.
Sweetie Pie Jonus pities the fools.

Oh dear. Some very confused dudes on the A Voice for Men Forums are angry at the Huffington Post for suggesting that Confused Cats Against Feminism might just be a parody of Women Against Feminism.

A guy calling himself Humansplaining w/ Jarred starts off the thread — titled “HuffPo tries – and fails – to politicize ‘Cats Against Feminism'” — with this little rant. (I’ve bolded some of the especially silly stuff.)

So, being that ‘Women Against Feminism’ is an internet phenomenon, through Tumblr as well as Twitter, the internet inevitably took this thread in the direction it takes EVERYTHING nowadays – cats.

If you read through all the ‘Cats Against Feminism’ memes, you’ll notice that they pretty much all revolve around, well…CATS. Go figure, huh? References to food, tuna, shedding, and biting predominate these posts. The references to ‘Feminism’ are basically incidental, since this is just piggy-backing on the viral success of ‘Women Against Feminism’. Those posting these memes never really express whether they are in favor of, or against Feminism. It’s clearly not meant to appeal to EITHER side of the issue. Rather, it’s simply a silly meme meant to produce a few chuckles for ANYONE that happens to run across them. Just like every other stupid cat meme on the internet, of which there must literally be TRILLIONS.

But HuffPo apparently sees things differently …

You know what? I think those CATS are smarter than the people at Huffpo that produced this article. THEY think that Feminism is a stupid and pointless human concept, and they wish you’d stop talking about it and fighting amongst each other, because they need you to FEED them!
Seriously HuffPo, learn to take a joke, and give the ideology a rest for 5 FUCKING SECONDS already.

Because the cats are laughing at YOU now…

AVFM forum dudes, I hate to break it to you, but the cats aren’t laughing at the Huffington Post. They’re laughing at you.

Maybe I need to start up a new blog: Confused Cats Confused by Confused Cats Against Feminism.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Dudebro can’t comprehend kitties, mockery, irony, or anything else. I am shocked, shocked, I say!

Johanna Roberts

Wait, “Women Against Feminism” is successful? When did this happen? XD

titianblue
titianblue

Confused Cats Confused by Confused Cats Against Feminism.

I think you should – this is getting satisfyingly meta

Luzbelitx

I’m right now a Confused Feminist Confused by Confused Dude Confused by Confused Cats Against Feminism!!!

Misha
Misha

*delurks

It would appear so – the WomenAgainstFeminism fbook page currently has over 17k followers. The posters appear to be predominantly young white women with a very shaky grasp of feminism though, so there may be significance there.

*relurks

cloudiah

Yeah, this blog is also mocking anti-feminists, and there are no actual feminists here nor is feminism endorsed in any way.

They’re so smart.

hellkell
hellkell

Being that literal minded should hurt. He’s completely failed to get to get the joke.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

He’s completely failed to get to get the joke.

SOP for MRAs.

Shiraz
Shiraz

“The cats are laughing at you.”

Uh-huh. I keep thinking of Piper Laurie in “Carrie.”
“They’re all going to laugh at you!” She screams at her daughter.

Oh wait, what was the dudebro’s point?

Scabz

outrage!

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Wait – do the AVfM-ers not know that evil and all-powerful David Futrelle is the wicked mastermind behind CCAF?

Because if so, that forum post is extra tasty. 🙂

strivingally

Spoiler alert, dudebros:

Of course cats don’t understand feminism. That’s the joke: neither do these “women against feminism” who clearly haven’t actually spoken to many real-life feminists, if any, and are opposed to a bunch of stereotypes that don’t in reality reflect what feminism *IS* at all.

Since any attempts to point this out are inevitably met with claims that feminists are calling non-feminist women stupid, when feminists are actually saying feminism is misrepresented, the discussion usually devolves into “nuh-uh, you’re the REAL sexists!!” and doesn’t recover…

So fuck it. Demonstrate that these feminist critiques (well, the ones that aren’t just fiverr.com models) are based in strawfeminist confusion by comparing them to the imaginary ponderings of our favourite animals.

Bonelady
Bonelady

He did not mention the dog! MISCANUSRY!!! (Or does “miscynosry” sound better? I mean if Vox Day can mix his Greek and Latin, can I?) But anyway, dogs everywhere are hurt and offended by this callous dismissal by what’s his face. (Really, I can’t remember the guy’s name and I’m too lazy to go look, and I need to go wash dishes before I can grade papers.)

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Looking forward to the follow-up article from AVfM when they discover that The Dreaded Futrelle is behind the Confused Cats.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

The OP must have read the UK version of HuffPo. The Dark Lord himself is quoted in the U.S. version. I hope they don’t go after the British journalist for engaging in some sort of “cover up.”

Bina
Bina

Humansplaining w/ Jarred starts off the thread

Snurk, snork…is this the Men’s HUMAN Rights Movement ‘splaining? I haz a confuzzle.

Mothrah
Mothrah

“Humansplaining” really summarizes all the wrong.

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

Come on you guys, Women Against Feminism is a totally real thing! For realsies!!

weirwoodtreehugger

Because if so, that forum post is extra tasty.

That was my thought too. Otherwise they’d be wringing their hands about the misandry and how the msm is against their noble human rights cause.

Of course it clearly says on the tumblr that it is an offshoot of WHTM so clearly they didn’t actually read it.

sparky

Oh. Oh my. He really didn’t get the joke? Ha. That just made my day.

GrumpyOldNurse
GrumpyOldNurse

GAH!!! The stoopid! It burns!!

Danita
Danita

Whats ‘Humansplain” for stupid?

itsabeast
itsabeast

I remember when there were people on the Right who didn’t know Colbert was satirizing them (could still be happening for all I know). We shouldn’t be surprised when we’re dealing with people so out of touch with reality.

niall
niall

Judging on the entirely humourless cats against feminism memes I saw, I’ll take it as conclusive evidence feminists indeed have no sense of humour. The entire concept, and particularly its execution has been quite lame.

niall: Yeah, whatever.

A parody tumblr that uses cats to poke fun at anti-feminists is getting more positive attention than the original anti-feminist tumblr. That must be galling.

The “Your joke isn’t funny! You have no sense of humor!” reaction is so beautifully lacking in self-awareness.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

The entire concept, and particularly its execution has been quite lame.

Oh, I get it. niall is concerned about the token canine representation on CCAF. Don’t dogs deserve coverage for true equality to take place, even if it is a supposedly feline space? #dogsrightsarepetsrights

niall
niall

@Sparky – from what I understand the founder of the WAP site is to be featured on NBC and other US stations I’m not familiar with as I’m in Europe. NBC are sending a crew to her home for 2 days to film afaik.This particular cat is coming out of the bag and going mainstream one way or the other. Now that, will be galling to many that prefer not to hear dissenting voices. You’d know the type I think it’s fair top assume.

@Katz – Coming from a guy/gal that calls themselves Katz on an article about cats, I’d say there’s more than a limit to your self awareness and humour. You’ve reached it: step back before you self combust.

Frankie

This is sort of like when the right wing fringe discovers abortion articles on The Onion. I love when that happens.

(I have no idea why it told me my last comment, which said basically the same thing, couldn’t be posted.)

sparky

niall: They’re getting coverage because they’re so far out of touch with reality it’s a novelty. It’s a way to manufacture a controversy where there really is none. The women on the Women Against Feminism tumblr are laughingly ignorant of what feminism actually is (at least, those that are for real and not models hired through fiverr).

Which is why the parody went viral.

This is not some kind of watershed moment when the world turns on feminism. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Again, that must be really galling.

Bina
Bina

Please to go fuck thyself. Kthxbai.

bunnybunny

Wait, what? Katz is called katz in the comments of every article here. Also, what?

vaiyt

By all means go ahead and make fools of yourselves in world television. I’ll sit by here with the popcorn.

niall
niall

@Sparky. But it is a watershed moment. Up to now, little or no anti feminist movement would have been entertained on US TV in such a way. Feminism has been the only game in town for a long time. There is no harm at all in a healthy democracy to have divergent views. It is imperative for good debate. Despite the fact I have great reservations about elements of Judgybitch and the MRA, I also have equally grave reservations about elements of feminism.

For that reason. I think it’s healthy this all comes to a head as explosively as possible.

This is a watershed moment I think, whether people believe that are not, or whether it happens or not, is a matter for time and posterity.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

The cat’s already out of the bag, sheesh. But it’s in a box now. I don’t blame you for being behind the times, those little guys are hard to track.

niall
niall

Are you always this puerile flying mouse? I’d imagine you are.

Bina
Bina

Dude, your “watershed moment” is nothing more than a small group of dudes who’ve given up drumming around a bonfire and are now in full rage-wank mode. And if you seriously believe that a bunch of twits who were probably paid $5 apiece to hold up those signs are in any way a harbinger, I feel sorry for you.

When I’m not laughing at your pomposity, lack of humor and blatant partisan wankery pretending to be “neutral”, of course.

bunnybunny

I think it’s healthy this all comes to a head as explosively as possible.

Yeah, I mean, it just sounds healthy when you put it that way.

Anti-feminism is not uncommon in the US. Straw feminists are par for the course in the media. Women Against Feminism is just another manifestation of the same lazy thinking.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Nah, only when the situation merits it. I’ll bow out since I’m only amusing myself.

sparky

niall: No, it’s not. It’s old. These “arguments” against feminism that these women are posting on the WAF tumblr? They’ve been around since feminism began. And they’ve always been there. They’re part of a reactionary backlash.

And what exactly is up for debate about women being human beings with the same social and economic rights as men? What the hell “divergent views” must we entertain on the question of women’s basic human rights in order to have a “healthy democracy?”

You obviously have no idea about feminism. Or history.

Don’t worry, honey, the longer you hang around telling us that we aren’t funny, the more you’ll prove that you have a sense of humor and we don’t.

sparky

Oh, niall; first you can’t find anything funny or amusing about cute kitties, then you call one of our wittiest commenters “puerile.”

I’m really beginning to question your taste and judgement here, niall.

bunnybunny

FM, you’re consistently one of the funniest commenters here. I was going to respond to your last comment with a Schrodinger’s cat joke, but it was a bit of the reach as you’ve set the bar too high!

If you make lots of jokes and you insist that they all aren’t funny, then you’ll prove that you have the best sense of humor in the world!

Sorry, that should read “if we make lots of jokes…”

niall
niall

@Bina. It may be upsetting for you than one loud shouting minority (mra) is currently unsettling another loud shouting minority (feminism). But I welcome it.

The fear for pseudo feminists, but not true feminists, is the inevitability of a mens movement becoming truly mainstream, and eventually carrying political clout as a result. That too is inevitable. It’s just a question of time.

sparky

Ah, there we go, comparing the (good) “true feminists” with the (bad)”loud shouting minority” “pseudo feminist.” Isn’t that on the MRA bingo card?

I’ll ask you again, niall, what exactly is up for debate about women’s basic human rights?

And how many MRAs does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

bunnybunny

I think you need to get off reddit for a minute. In the real world, people generally respond to MRAs with a mix of incredulity and tearful laughter.

itsabeast
itsabeast

@niall. Feminists are fine with men’s movements. Just not misogynist ones.

Lids

They never want to say what’s up for debate. Because they either DON’T KNOW or they realize that if they actually looked at it reasonably instead of in a reactionary way they’d have to concede that feminism is necessary. But every part of the MRM is a reactionary movement, they feel threatened by the fact that women are standing up for themselves. So embarrassing.

Anyways, recently due to a mis-hearing of “it’s a joke” me and my friends now say “BJOKE” at the end of a joke.

the commenter currently known as niall.BJOKE!

1 2 3 7