Uncategorized

The Power of Paint and Powder: Brave Men's Rights Redditor takes on women and their evil deceptive makeup.

Evil woman preparing for battle.
Evil woman preparing for battle.

Ladies, watch out! Men’s Rights Redditor warspite88 is on to you! Your painted faces don’t fool him! Your concealer cannot conceal the truth! He knows your lips aren’t really that red! He knows your eyelids aren’t really that blue!

Yes, that’s right: it’s time for another angry MRA rant explaining to us why women wearing makeup oppresses men, somehow.

In a post with the delightfully over-the-top title “Men’s rights are directly tied to the power of paint and powder. Ill explain,” warspite88 sets forth his theory:

It is my belief that women have become so beautiful through the use of makeup that most women and men are influenced dramatically and view women more as goddess and men as dogs. The power of makeup has helped to fuel a war against men’s basic human rights.

Uh, what?

Lets face it, men are ugly compared to women, right? Many men feel sorry for women or think it is oppressive that so many women wear makeup.

I’m pretty sure most men don’t get angry when a woman puts on lipstick. That’s just you, dude. Well, you and a thousand other MRAs.

Well, if you dig really deep into history and our modern use of makeup, you will see it points to one key element of humanity, Power.

Wait. I thought female power resided in the ass, not the face. Didn’t Warren Farrell write a book about that or something?

Power to attract those you want (or label unwanted attention as harassment as a result of powder power)

Powder power? Is that like miniskirt power? You are Warren Farrell, aren’t you?

Power to influence Power to feel good about yourself (vain or not) Just a few examples

Dude, sorry to interupt your little rant here, but would it kill you to put periods at the end of your sentences?

Makeup is expensive, a huge industry, so money and making others pay for your power is in high demand.

I had no idea the women were so devious. Making men pay for their makeup, which they then use to make men pay for … more makeup. Lather, rinse, repeat. It’s ingenious. At least until the makeup-using manipulator is found dead in her apartment, lipstick tube still in her hand, crushed by the gigantic boxes of makeup she conned poor male suckers into buying for her.

[W]e see it in every day life, in relationship, those trying to get relationships. we see it in business, court rooms, churches, places of power. We see it in schools, young girls even. We see it in the media oh yes those sexy Fox women, wonder why those women were hired? Why they put on so much makeup? Take a guess boys, take a guess white knights. Take a guess MRMs.

You seem a little fixated on the Fox News women.

The power of paint and powder to influence others minds, their reactions, their actions, it is one of the most deeply rooted human aspects of power projection yet few ever take it seriously. The power of makeup to make women beautiful to seduce and control a horny man or a white knight has built kingdoms, it has destroyed kingdoms, it has had major political influence around the world for all of history.

Behold, the most powerful woman in history:

Hey there fellas!
Hey there fellas!

Weird. I feel an almost irresistible urge to buy that woman some more makeup. MUS T RESIST.

There is a reason why most women use makeup, because it gives them power, subtle, acceptable power that few men can ignore.

Women’s sexuality, it is natural and men are pawns to it because men are wired to view women as sexual objects. … So when men see a woman dolled up with makeup more often than not his head falls head over heels with lust (not love) desire (not caring).

His HEAD falls HEAD over HEELS with LUST.

His HEAD.

Let’s just think about this for a second. How does a HEAD fall head over heels? A HEAD DOESN’T HAVE HEELS IT IS JUST A HEAD.

Does it borrow some heels for the occasion? Does it hold the heels in its mouth? So many questions.

The power of beauty and charisma that comes with paint and powder changes the world.

So how is it related to mens rights?

Oh, this oughtta be good.

Go outside, yes leave your computer. Go to any public place and watch people. Watch how men react to women who are dressed sexy or wear more makeup.

Uh, ok. But then I’d have to put on some pants.

Or just watch this stuff on TV.

Yeah, on second thought, let’s not go outside at all. Let’s base our entire knowledge of how men and women interact on old sitcoms and Fox News. You know, the news channel with all those sexy Fox women.

Anyway, so how does this relate to Men’s Rights?

Men are ugly compared to women with paint and powder right? How dare men show attraction to beautiful women, they must be pigs! Right?

Uh, what? Is this your actual argument? Are you actually trying to make some sort of sense? Or are you just typing?

White Knights love beautiful women on the outside , oh yes the white knight shield of justice is like a mirror to reflect the beauty of any female even a woman who murders her husband or rapes a boy.

Wat.

But a white knights sword is dripping with the blood of innocent men who dare even attempt equality with a beautiful woman.

Damn, this got dark, really dark, all of a sudden.

The power of paint and powder, it has affected every one of you reading this at some point in your life. it will again.

Well, not if one of those white knights has stabbed you to death, I mean, yikes! But let’s not get hung up on details.

It is not evil or wrong to wear makeup in my opinion but it is important that we become aware of how much of a paint and powder worshiping society we have become.

Is it any wonder men’s rights and well being have been left far behind in society that craves women and their paint and powder? Just saying.

Just saying?

JUST SAYING?!!

THAT’S how your ending this post?

Dude, your cockamamie thesis is that evil makeup-wearing, husband-murdering, boy-raping women rule the world, while easily manipulated white knights are going around wantonly stabbing any Men’s Rights Activists they can find.

And you end your rant with “just saying?”

Really? I mean, if you’re going to put it out there, fucking put it out there! Commit to it! End with something, you know, dramatic.

“By Grabthar’s hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!”

You know, something like that. Something cool.

End strong! End big!

Just saying.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering about that Grabthar’s hammer thing:

Click my kitty to see the smash hit new blog!
Click my kitty to see the smash hit new blog!

Shiraz
Shiraz

I still don’t get how lack of grooming practices makes you inherently deeper. **shrugs** If you’re judging someone who does partake in grooming, aren’t you judging them based on how the present themselves — you know, the way they look? And isn’t this inherently shallow and a lazy way to pass judgement on a person?

MaudeLL

I sense a deep schism coming between MRAs oppressed by makeup wearing women and MRAs oppressed by non-makeup wearing women.

@ Shiraz

As long as it doesn’t go from “I reject oppressive grooming practices like shaving every hair-carrying part of my body” to “I reject oppressive grooming practices like brushing my teeth and washing my hair”, I guess.

People who think aggressively stating how little they care about appearances makes them look deep mostly just make me roll my eyes.

Emil W.

Shiraz, I doubt it makes me deeper. It’s just a neurosis I have. I mean I’m writing a novel about someone who’s incapable of lying. That’s no accident.

And yes, it would be a shallow way to judge people, so I try not to do that. Love the groomer, hate the grooming, so to speak.

cassandrakitty

It’s rare that I say this, but it would be really nice if we could get back on topic.

bunnybunny
bunnybunny

And by the way, I don’t trim my nose hair or eyebrows, I don’t have tattoos, I don’t use cologne, I limit my oral hygiene to the barest minimum to not make my dentist angry with me, and when it comes to shaving I tend to put it off until I can make excuses like “everyone will think I don’t care about them enough to look presentable if I don’t shave” or “I’ll be less hot if I shave” to justify it. I am, you might say, committed to honesty.

I probably wouldn’t say “committed to honesty.” Maybe committed to not trimming nose hair or eyebrows, not getting tattoos, not using cologne, etc… Aesthetic honesty is just kind of a ridiculous and arbitrary concept.

weirwoodtreehugger

How is grooming or makeup lying though? The only difference between me with straight ironed hair and eye shadow and me with natural wavy hair and no eye shadow is the straight hair and eye shadow. It doesn’t change my personality. It’s just that my hair is long right now and gets messy really quickly when I wear it down. Therefore it is easier to just straighten my hair so I don’t have to worry about how it looks all night.

leftwingfox

The world-shattering dangers of makeup now explain all those demands for warpaint in World of Warcraft.

(Looking for group; need rouge.)

BrandonSP

Funny, I would have thought the feminists that these MRA dweebs despise so much would not endorse any social convention rooted in the belief that women must all look pretty for men. These MRA beta males can’t even make up their puny minds as to whom they stand against.

cassandrakitty

There’s something remarkably silly about thinking you’re more honest than other people because you don’t brush your hair. I’ve met people like this before, and never relished the experience.

tinyorc

bunnybunny:

Agreed. This is very bizarre. It reminds me of that stupid #LiesToldByFemales hashtag, where loads of misogynists were like WOMEN ARE LYING LIARS BECAUSE OF MAKE-UP AND PUSH-UP BRAS.

Like, how is having a tattoo dishonest exactly? It’s not like I’m trying to convince anyone that I was born with a large owl on my thigh and a Hylian shield on my calf.

Kootiepatra
Kootiepatra

Now, granted, I’m a feeeeeeemale, but I have never had any trouble identifying whether or not someone else is wearing makeup. Zero. Like, maybe someone wear mascara without me noticing, and mayyyybe a really good foundation… but makeup is noticeable. That’s kind of the point of wearing it. If it’s noticeable, it can hardly be played off as some kind of manipulative deception.

Yes, you have to be paying more attention to notice the natural looks, but it’s still not that hard to see. E.g. nobody’s lips are naturally shiny.

Emil W.

It’s true, I am silly and my ideals are at best impractical to realize. I know that. Like I’ve said, I was trying to make a point to warspite88 about the existence of people who don’t fit in his prejudiced molds. It was maybe thoughtlessly stated, and definitely thoughtless in the context of Dudes Who Stigmatize Women For Wearing Makeup, which in my haste I forgot is a common thing. Sorry about that. Sorry also about getting off topic, but I hope we can close the debate about my dysfunctions with this.

@ tinyorc

Well, I could have said “dumb and pretentious” instead of “silly”, but I was trying to be polite.

Oops, that didn’t last long. But hey, honesty is the most important virtue, right?

bunnybunny
bunnybunny

I mean, I’m dishonest about my tattoos in that I cover them up at work. And I flip up my septum ring. This could be construed as misandry since I am hiding my dirty feminist-signaling body mods from my coworkers. One of them might accidentally take me seriously.

Puddleglum

I think the MRAs have confused makeup with photoshop. A natural mistake, given both of them end with ‘p’.

cassandrakitty

Some of us keep trying to point out that this problem could be solved by acting like we’re at a goth club and having everyone, regardless of sex, wear makeup, but do they listen? No, they do not.

Bina
Bina

I will NEVER EVER EVER understand this argument: “Women buy lots of things, therefore men/Betas/the government are buying women lots of things.” Huh?

Really. And heaven forfend that she earn the money to buy those things for herself; then she’s some slutty-ass hoo-er who put a Nice Guy™ out of a job.

These guys have so many contradictory notions about what feminine looks and behavior are “correct” that there is literally no pleasing them, so there’s also no point in trying.

cloudiah

Wasn’t the Bobbi Brown makeup slogan, “Give us 5 minutes. We’ll make you pretty powerful”? Or something like that.

She gave our devious strategies away. Gender traitor!

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Men have to wear make up when they’re on stage or set. So if men are wearing makeup they are lying too!?

saphy
saphy

@Lea

Your earlier comment used the term “tinfoil fedora wearers” and I think that should totally be our term for this type of MRA ‘conspiracy’ theorist.

@ Emil W
I think the main problem here was that you offered as your first comment what is commonly known here as a “boner update” (for lack of a less anatomical term), which essentially boils down to “I find X attractive/unattractive therefore argument”. There is nothing wrong with finding some particular feature or fashion attractive, but we just don’t use it as a basis for argument or debate position here.

GrumpyOldNurse
GrumpyOldNurse

@ Kootiepatra : “I really think these guys’ problem is that they spend very little time looking actual, IRL women in the face.”

Of course they don’t! Why would they risk catching cooties?

cassandrakitty

Cooties? It’s the mind control rays you have to watch out for.

(They come from the mascara, one ray per eyelash.)

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

I wonder which is more honest: never cutting/styling your hair (because that’s how it grows naturally) or shaving off all body hair (because it hides your skin and can change the way your head looks).

Clothes are almost certainly dishonest though. Honest people should be nudists. What are they hiding?

GrumpyOldNurse
GrumpyOldNurse

Yeah nudism!!

But now, I am conflicted. I should really buy mascara for the mind control rays, cause that would be so cool.

cassandrakitty

If you buy the mascara that makes little tubes on your eyelashes instead of painting them the tubes also double as projectile weapons when removed, but shh, I’ve already said too much.

sparky
sparky

Now, historically, haven’t both men and women used cosmetics?

GrumpyOldNurse
GrumpyOldNurse

@ cassandrakity – I have been on the outs with the Feminist High Council lately, so have not been getting my monthly newsletter. I appreciate you keeping me up to date with the misandry!

constellarmaid
constellarmaid

Look, warspite88, I am a “white knight” by any misogynist’s definition, and I don’t like makeup. To me it seems like hiding, pretending, conforming; those are not activities I value.

I know we’ve moved on from this topic but makeup is a hell of a lot more related to self-expression than to self-concealment for me most of the time.

But even when it is more an “I can’t stand my face” day than a “I want to look interesting and beautiful” day…I don’t really see a moral issue. Could you explain?

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

There’s a double-locked safe full of fire arms in my house, but the mightiest weapon of all turns out to be my tube of Great Lash. #themoreyouknow

Bina
Bina

Now, historically, haven’t both men and women used cosmetics?

Yuppers. Those Egyptian pharaohs were the absolute masters of guyliner!

samantha

Oh, poor deluded warspittle…er…warspite. Have you no sense of history? If you just cracked open a good book on the history of fashion and painting oneself, assuming that you can read, you would learn that, for the majority of human history, men have used paint and powder. There is a tribe in Africa, whose name I cannot recall, where the men paint themselves to a glorious beauty. Then they go to a BIG multi-tribe event and dance in all their painted and fashioned glory in order to attract a woman. In fact, many men IN OUR VERY OWN SOCIETY wear mascara, eyeliner, and rouge. Why, you might ask? To attract a mate…to have fun…to play around with different looks.

Humans painting themselves has been going on for all of human history. Should I send out rants against men who wear makeup and, thus, control the world? Oh, wait…that is TRUE!!!!!

cassandrakitty

Actually can we send into the universe some rants urging more men to wear at least some guyliner? That would be my preference.

Ally S

Off topic, but this made me sick to my stomach. I know it’s in London but it’s still terrifying to read about (major TW for sexual assault): http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/19/gangs-rape-lists-sex-assault

saphy
saphy

@ Ally
Yep, everyone who knows anything about what’s happening in London has been aware of this shit on our doorsteps for quite some time. For some reason it’s only being publicly addressed now, maybe because of the emphasis of rape as a weapon in war that’s been publicised in the recent London summit (that with Angelina Jolie). It takes that kind of attention for England to care about its socially and economically disadvantaged groups. #JadedAndBitter

dustedeste
dustedeste

Ugh, I mean, I’ll admit that a good portion of my makeup-wearing (when I do wear it) isn’t out of a desire for self-expression. It’s mostly out of a desire for camouflage. If I don’t wear makeup, I’m more likely to get looks/comments about my sub-standard levels of attractiveness (how DARE I be a woman who doesn’t please your boner!), and I’m less likely to be taken seriously as a person. I’m also seen as less employable, because a woman who doesn’t wear (very tasteful!) makeup is seen as lazy and careless, which only is only compounded by the fact that I’m fat (and therefore largely viewed as innately lazy and careless already).

I guess, at the heart of it, I feel about makeup how I feel about gender: There’s nothing inherently wrong with it, and aspects of it can be enjoyable, but overall I personally find it restrictive and would be happier without it, and I mostly use it in order to avoid being harassed/devalued.

But yeah, fuck this noise. Also, Emil can fuck right off, if that hasn’t been said enough times already. I don’t give a shit that my husband prefers me without makeup, let alone what your precious preferences are. They’re both less important than my ability to be taken seriously as a worthwhile, employable human being, which is something that, as previously stated, decreases notably when I go without makeup.

cassandrakitty

Finally, someone even less polite than me! ILU, dustydeste.

Ally S

Also, you know one of the reasons (besides dysphoria) I wear makeup whenever I’m presenting as female? Because if I don’t, I risk having a dude recognize me as a “tr*nny” and therefore literally risk being attacked. It has happened to my friends right in front of my eyes.

But even if not for the purpose of safety, there is still nothing wrong with wearing it for any reason.

Emil W.

I reiterate that I stated my – admittedly neurotic, irrational – opinion to argue against warspite88’s prejudices about what opinions people have and why, and not because I thought my opinion would contribute to the discussion. I apologize again if I gave the impression I think my opinions should be basis for to anyone else’s decisions. (They should reasonably not even be the basis for my decisions.) And I guess I have to point out I do indeed understand and sympathize with most of the common reasons people use makeup and otherwise care for their appearance.

Ally S

@Emil

Ok. It’s nice to hear that you acknowledge the problem your statement. Watch what you say next time.

dustedeste
dustedeste

Oh, definitely agreed, Ally! I don’t think there’s anything intrinsically wrong with makeup or wearing it; I just personally don’t enjoy it most of the time, and find the societal prescription to wear it or risk sanction to be huuuugely problematic.

(ILU2, cassandra! I only have time to comment on my days off now, so HELLO PENT UP ACERBICISM! <3)

Ally S

with*

Ally S

@dustedeste

That was in reply to Emil, not you. Sorry I wasn’t clear. Nothing you said bothered me.

sparky
sparky

From the article Ally shared (TW: rape)

Hubberstey said gang members were taking advantage of low conviction rates for rape, viewing sexual violence as a less-risky means to inflict pain on rivals or spread fear than carrying a weapon. “Criminals are clever, they know if they are caught carrying weapons they face a lengthy sentence; it’s risky carrying a gun. The use of sexual violence is the same sort of thing as having a dangerous dog; it creates fear, it’s non-traceable, and they are also taking advantage of low rape conviction rates even when there are witnesses,” she said.

That’s right. Rape is being used a way to intimidate and assert dominance. But there is no such thing as rape culture.

cassandrakitty

The point that you’re missing, Emil, is that your personal feelings about women’s grooming habits, irrational or not, have absolutely nothing to do with the core issue. Additionally, providing both a personal preferences update and a defense of the idea that well groomed = shallow doesn’t counteract the argument that David skewers above, it supports it.

Now shut up about it.

dustedeste
dustedeste

@Ally – I figured that was probably the case, but I also wanted to be absolutely sure that I wasn’t coming across in any way as saying that makeup should be verboten or anything other than that I both dislike wearing makeup and also find it annoyingly necessary, so I thought I’d put it a little more succinctly.

dustedeste
dustedeste

Bleh, I was going to just ignore any of Emil’s further hole digging, but let me explain something:

The reason we feel you “gave the impression” that you feel your opinions should be the basis for decisions, Emil, is that you felt the need to inform us of said opinions. If you actually felt that your opinions were irrelevant, why the fuck would you share them in the first place? Your actions in this matter seem to preclude to possibility of your words being truthful. Also, the whole “if” business in your “apology” is pretty suspect: I think it’s pretty clear that there is no question as to how your words were taken.

Just… go away.

Emil W.

cassandrakitty, I’m not missing that at all. I still have no intention of using my personal feelings as an argument for or against the core issue. It’s only an argument against warspite88’s reduction of people into stereotypes. That is admittedly a very on-the-side argument that should have been left on the sidelines and I’ll happily stop going on about it if only there wasn’t apparently still something unclear about it. Once again: I’m not saying my opinions are relevant, only that warspite88’s prejudices about people’s opinions is wrong.

And I’m pretty sure what I said is that well groomed does not equal shallow. To not try to look beyond someone’s appearance and see the person inside would be shallow.

cassandrakitty

“How not to conduct yourself as a man on feminist blogs”, part 4546456754756767686786782534534545645.

sparky
sparky

Yep. If you are a fat woman (like me), you already are automatically violating society’s beauty standard, so you damn well better conform in every other way, and that means wearing conventional “nice” makeup and clothes. And even then, you’re sometime either treated as invisible and completely beneath anyone acknowledging your existence or openly sneered at and harrassed. A thin woman wearing sweats is being sloppy. A fat woman wearing sweats is a slob.

And I’m pretty privileged. I’m white, I’m able-bodied, I don’t have a lot of wrinkles (yet) so I look “young,” and I’m working class but I make enough money tht I can afford to buy makeup and clothes without too much financial difficulty. I can only imagine that it gets exponentially worse the less privileged you are.