atheism attention seeking lying liars misogyny MRA pedophiles oh sorry ephebophiles the amazing atheist

The Amazing Atheist's not-so-amazing thoughts on the age of consent

The alleged theamazingatheist's allegedly false confession
The alleged theamazingatheist’s allegedly false confession

You may have run across an image macro going around the internet recently featuring a picture of YouTube ranter and sometime Men’s Rights ally The Amazing Atheist – aka Terroja or TJ Kinkaid – and an appalling quote, supposedly from him, arguing that MRAs should campaign to lower the age of consent, because “[n]ature already has an age of consent. That age is approximately 12-13, otherwise known as the onset of puberty.”

I didn’t post about the quote, appalling as it is, because I couldn’t find any proof that Mr. Kincaid actually wrote or said it; I even searched several of Mr. Kincaid’s books and a document entitled “The Somewhat Complete Ravings of TJ Kincaid” to no avail. Apparently no one else has been able to find the quote either.

If this quote was fabricated, I’m a little puzzled as to why, because Kincaid has actually said very similar things before. Given the confusion about the quote, I thought it might be worth noting what we know he has said on the topic.

In a 2006 posting on a Marilyn Manson fan site, linked to in RationalWiki’s profile of him, a self-identified “atheist libertarian” calling himself Terroja argued that

Having pedophilic attractions doesn’t mean you automatically go out and start molesting kids. From the time I was 14 to the time I was about 19, I used to have extreme pedophilic fantasies, and I somehow managed to never even come close to acting on them. I think with my brain, not my penis.

I do think, however, the pedophilia is unfairly persecuted in today’s society.

I think the difference in punishment between child rapists and child molestors should be more significant, with molestors perhaps simply attending mandatory therapy for their first offense. I also think that the age of sexual consent should be lowered to 12 or 13.

My stance is not designed to be controversial or to offend anyone. I only want human beings to understand that the law must work within the parameters of human nature, not in defiance of it.

In a recent posting on his blog, Kincaid admits that this indeed is something he once believed:

The age of consent thing is based on a post I made on an internet forum when I was like 20. And it was actually a pretty popular sentiment on the boards at that time. Hell, it was a popular sentiment on the internet in general at that time. It was also, I’m sad to say, an opinion that my father held.

After experiencing another decade on planet earth, I realize how horribly misguided that opinion was and is. I think that maybe it’s not so horrible for kids that age to begin sexual exploration with one another, but it’s definitely wrong for an adult to engage is sex with someone that young and inexperienced.

The “everyone else was a pedophile in 2006” argument is not exactly a convincing one, and it’s worth noting that Kincaid “confessed” his attraction towards underage girls in his self-published 2007 book “Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman” as well, writing that

I think 14-year-old girls are hot. (Yeah, so does everyone else, but I actually admit it)

That’s what pedophiles would like to believe, but it’s not actually true.

Also, in “The Somewhat Complete Ravings of TJ Kincaid,” which seems to be a compilation of writings from several of his books, we find the following passage:

Teenage girls are annoying because they go out into public dressed like sluts and then if you look at their massive titties there is a segment of our society that will happily declare you a pedophile for “oggling those poor children.” Children, my ass. Children don’t have D cups. Children don’t have big, luscious round asses crammed into designer jeans.

For what it’s worth, the word is “ogling,” not “oggling.”

Even more troubling than these quotes is the fact that Kincaid also claimed at one point that he “dated” a 14-year-old when he was 23.

In his recent posting, he insists that he was only joking:

As for this nonsense about me dating a 14-year-old when I was 23, I was actually mocking a friend of mine who was over 30 and was macking on some 16-year-old girl. The sad fact is that when I was 23, I was single and pussyless. And I was too timid and frightened to even approach a girl sexually, let alone one who could wind me up in prison.

I have no trouble believing that he was lying about having an underage girlfriend, but his explanation doesn’t seem to jibe with what he – or someone claiming to be him – said in the very strange (and not altogether safe for work) video that seems to be the source for what Kincaid calls this “rumor” about him.

Roughly 30 minutes into the video, which shows a live BlogTV session between YouTube personality thefakesagan and some guests in  an internet chatroom, we see someone identified as theamazingatheist declare flatly in the chat session that “as a 23-year-old I dated a 14-year-old briefly.”

When the expletive-spewing thefakesagan asks him what it was that led him to stop “dating” the 14-year-old so quickly, theamazingatheist replies “fear of her dad murdering me,” adding in a followup comment that “he was a Marine, actually.”

When the host, burping and fiddling with a bass guitar, asks theamazingatheist if he actually felt “an emotional bond with this 14-year-old bitch,” themazingatheist replies “I felt an emotional bond with her pussy.”

“Sorry,” he types a few moments later, “I’m a sociopath, useless in the ways of love.”

The host then spends a few moments fumbling with his instrument, trying ineptly to work out the bassline to Michael Jackson’s “Beat It.” “You better run, you better do what you’re told,” he sings, “TJ’s in the back room fucking a 14-year-old.”

The conversation moves on, and I think I will too.

But now that I’ve gotten hold of some of TJ’s masterworks, I think I’ll have to see what else is hiding within them. I suspect I’ll be posting about that shortly.

ronanwills

These guys strike me as basically teenagers in the bodies of 20-something/30-something year olds. It’s kind of embarrassing to see this immature posturing from someone their age.

Aunt Edna
Aunt Edna

Ugh. There is no end to these people’s depravity.

Emma The Emo, a FeMRA whose main claim to fame is becoming a GF of an infamous Norwegian incel Eivind Berge (whose own claim to fame is, among other things, writing a post “Rape is equality,” and enthusiastically supporting the Norwegian misogynist mass shooter Anders Breivik) has penned a clever defense of pedophilia:

theladyzombie

MRAs and sundry misogynists: AGE OF CONSENT IS MISANDRY! BIOTRUTHS! EVOPSYCH! WOMEN ARE OLD HAGS BY 22! IF THERE’S GRASS ON THE FIELD…HURR HURR AMIRITE!!

Elsewhere in the manosphere: A MAN CAN’T TALK TO A CHILD WITHOUT BEING LABELED A PEDOPHILE! MISANDRY!

TJ is and has always been a vile specimen of humanity with no redeeming qualities. He and other atheist/skeptic dudebros always bring up AoC and let their creepiness shine. I have argued with them repeatedly that physical maturity =/= cognitive maturity and that a 14 year old girl may have fully developed secondary sex characteristics but that doesn’t mean she’s an adult. She’s an adolescent with an adolescent’s brain. Adolescents are not adults. And on average, adolescents are not good decision makers.

It’s shit like this that makes it hard for me to not think violent thoughts about these fuckers.

Anyway, keep it up TJ, you fuckwit. Between your scamming and bullshit like this, your luck is going to run out and you’re going to find yourself in deep trouble with the law.

Lids

God, he’s so disgusting. The more I learn about TMA the more grossed out I am. When I first encountered his stuff I just thought he was a sexist bigot who hid his bigotry behind “logic” (in parentheses because logic is very far from what he’s ever had) like every other MRM supporter, I guess we can add “pedophile or potential pedophile” to the list.

Toolbox
Toolbox

He’s always struck me as a seriously unhinged individual since I first saw him screaming into a camera about Sharon Osborne. Not someone I’d ever want to meet, and I feel you can’t just put him down as attempting to be provocative; his repugnant attitude goes far beyond that.

gorillaella

I just hope the scumbag never breeds

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

The Abhorrent Anus (I AM CLEVER) is clearly the result of a mad scientists attempt to put every single negative stereotype about reddit into a single being.

creepycupcake
creepycupcake

TJ says he’s not an MRA but that he isn’t a feminist either?

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

The only thing that really bothers me about being married to an older guy is that dudes like TAA try to use relationships like mine to give legitimacy to their disgusting, exploitative predilections. “I met my husband as an adult, and I was twenty-four when we got married.” “But he’s fourteen years older than you! That’s totally the same as me being into a middle schooler.” No, it is not, you repulsive wad of used-up gum.

cloudiah

This little contradiction sums up so much of the manosphere.

tesformes

These are the same people who believe in a male “rape impulse,” and that women need to tone down their dress in order to avoid inflaming it.

I suppose expecting TAA to have sympathy for rape victims is probably asking a lot, given his well documented hatred of them: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/TheAmazingAtheist#Reddit_meltdown

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Remember back in 2009, when it seemed like Roman Polanski might finally be returned to the United States to finally receive the punishment he skipped out on after he plead guilty to raping a 13-year-old girl?

The Amazing Atheist’s take at the time was that Roman Polanski was being punished for “breaking the rules.”

Yeah, seriously. His tone left no doubt that he regarded being punished for “breaking the rules” was the real outrage.

At the time, I had views I now regard as pretty ridiculous, but even then his stance struck me as being beyond the pale.

I’m sure he’s changed somewhat in the five years since then, but whenever I come across him anymore it seems like he simply never gets any better as a person than he ever was before.

Greebo
Greebo

I’ve noticed, the almighty teej and his mra buddies literally sound like orcs. This might sound really weird, but in the chapter of this fic I’m reading an uruk says, “if they’re old enough to breed, they’re old enough to breed.” MRAS LITERALLY SOUND LIKE ORCS. LIKE, CARTOON VILLIANS. ARE YOU PROUD, GREATEST CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT ON EARTH? *gags*

For serious, I knew about TJ before I was political, I came across his videos in 2010-11ish? And like a person with common sense, moved on to better youtubers. I feel genuinely sorry for any younguns or adult manbabies suckered in by his shoddy research and bravado.

Greebo
Greebo

Erm, david? I’m stuck behind moderation. HALP.

Greebo
Greebo

And it was “bleed for “if they’re old enough to bleed, they’re old enough to breed.” A

Mizuki
Mizuki

Long time lurker, first time poster. I could not help but respond to this. I have long had an interest in science/debunking videos on Youtube and use to watch people like Thunderfoot. Then, a large segment of the Atheists* went deep into the land of misogyny and now I can’t escape them. Their videos keep showing up in my recommended list even though I have not watched people like that ever or not for more than a year. It makes me sad every time I see it.

*Not all Atheists but the mostly white straight men who seem to have been declared the leaders.

kittehserf MOD

When it turned out the “natural age of consent is 12” thing was faked, I wondered why anyone would bother. It’s not like there isn’t plenty of real material to quote. The unamazing asshat condemns himself pretty much every time he opens his mouth.

Dire Sloth
Dire Sloth

Wow, everything I learn about TAA makes me want to learn less. He’s like the perfect archetype of the annoying, faux-liberal internet personality. He blithely states that he’s a horrible person, but thinks it’s ok because he’s popular and unafraid to admit to being a dickhole. When did this whole “Yeah I’m an asshole, deal with it” thing start, anyways?

Lids

Yeah, he’s proven time and again he doesn’t have sympathy for rape victims. He’s proven that he hates and blames them for whatever happened to them. Ughghg.

I’m gonna go off on a rant here, but recently I remembered a conversation I had with my ex while we were dating about domestic violence and general abuse from people you trust and care about.

He, knowing that I have been abused in every way possible (physically, sexually, emotionally, and verbally), told me he would NEVER end up in an abusive relationship. He was “too strong” to let someone do that to him.

Like I tried to explain that it’s not as simple as you meet a person and they immediately start the abuse and that sometimes there aren’t any warning signs and that ANYONE can end up being abused but he refused to listen to me. It was incredibly frustrating.

It made me mad then, but now I’m even madder. Like not only is he implying that I, and every other victim of abuse, is weak (something I didn’t bring up at the time because I was hurt by the implication that I was weak), but he seriously does not understand that it’s not as simple as “saying no.” You don’t always know that someone is going to be abusive. Most people don’t start out abusive, they work into it. Like idk I’m still so mad like I feel insulted and like he knows NOTHING about actual abuse.

Then again… I’ve started wondering if, based on the the girl’s he’s dated (including myself) if he targets girls with low self-esteem and emotionally manipulates them. That’s what I felt like he did with me.

Sorry if this doesn’t make any sense, but I’ve been thinking about it a lot recently.

kittehserf MOD

It makes perfect sense, Lids.

Hugs if you want them.

weirwoodtreehugger

Eewwwww. I don’t even know how else to respond.

Lea
Lea

He said at 20 that he had “extreme pedophilic fantasies” up until the year prior?

He thinks pubescent girls are hot and he thinks teenagers look like “sluts” and blames them for him ogling their “titties”.

He blames rape victims for being raped?

He tries to trigger rape victims for shits and giggles and threatens to rape them?

…and there are people who actually believe that he’s not a misogynist and a sexual predator?

I do not believe for a single second that that man is not a danger to to women and girls. I hope people keep their kids far away from him. I hope women keep clear of him for their own safety. I don’t care that he claims to have changed his mind about the age of consent. It’s clear he still sexualizes girls and believes that they deserve whatever happens to them. Combine that with his obvious sadistic glee in terrorizing women sexually and there is no way I buy him not being a threat to women and girls.

But there are atheists who will support him and his anti-feminist friends while still claiming to be rational and “good without God”. Those same atheists are freaking out over other atheists being social justice advocates and activists.

What a bunch of assholes.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

Yeah, that’s what laws are. They are rules. And if you break those rules, you have committed what we call a “crime” and in a fair world you are “punished for it.”

There’s nothing Amazing about defending the powerful and the influential. There’s nothing courageous about backing the status quo.

witlesschum
witlesschum

When does he do something amazing? I feel like I should be getting a refund, even though I haven’t paid. Sadly, creepy behavior and angry woman-hating rants are not out of the ordinary enough.

Bina

Bull-fucking-SHIT. I knew a girl who had all that before she was 11! “Nature’s age of consent”, my ASS. When I was 12 or 13, I may have been menstruating and somewhat developed and so forth, but I was NOT ready for sex. Hell, I wasn’t even ready to kiss a boy that age, let alone a much older MAN.

This Atheist is anything BUT amazing for his cribbed-from-dirty-old-dad “insights”. Unless by “Amazing”, he means amazingly AWFUL…in which case, yeah.

Fred_the_Dog

My daughter had her first period at age 8, third grade. Typical third grade little kid. I taught middle school for a couple of years…twelve and thirteen are still just little kids in bodies that have suddenly expanded, and they’re trying to make sense of it all. None of these kids need some adult trying to take advantage of them.

Pervs who think menstruation = girls ready for sex? Creepy and icky.

Lea
Lea

I had breasts by the fifth grade.

Fuck this pedophile piece of shit.

Bina

“I’m a sociopath, useless in the ways of love.”

I can well believe this, though.

Shiraz
Shiraz

**barfs in mouth**

They can lie to themselves all they want about 12-year-olds’ alleged sexual maturity, but everyone knows what they are really attracted to is vulnerability and inexperience. That’s a perv for you, though, they know it’s easier to push boundaries and ultimately abuse someone who is essentially a child.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Gosh, it’s almost like these atheist dudebros know nothing about the neurological changes that occur in adolescents, which make them particularly vulnerable: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/the-teen-brain-still-under-construction/index.shtml (as a for example but there’s a lot of research that’s been published in this area).

In particular, there’s issues with adolescents not being able to understand consequences, particularly longer term consequences, of their actions. It’s my strong personal opinion that this should have an effect on decisions around adolescents being able to have mens rea. I’m not the only one to have this concern: http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/publishing/criminal_justice_section_newsletter/crimjust_juvjus_Adolescence.authcheckdam.pdf

So having adult males act as predators towards adolescents is even creepier than it might be if one only considered age differences and life experience, and ignored the repercussions of adolescent neurological development.

kittehserf MOD

Even their pretence that menstruation = ready to breed = ready for sex is bullshit. It’s one of the signs that sexual maturation has begun, not the end point. Girls are nowhere near ready to start reproducing. Far from it: it drastically increases the chances of harm or death both to them and any children they have.

Tessa
Tessa

Did I live in some paraellel 2006 where the internet wasn’t clammoring for lowering the age of consent to 12? I think I would’ve remembered that.

And I looked at some of his books while trying to find that quote too. David’s going to have to put up a few trigger warnings if he starts posting about his stuff. Lots of misogyny and even some bonus racism and climate change denial.

Bina

Hell, it was a popular sentiment on the internet in general at that time.

Nope nope nope nope NOPE. It was a “popular sentiment” only among creepers and pervs. Who, sadly, are far from hard to find on the Internets, even now.

Bina

And godDAMN do I ever hate the justification-by-normalization thing that those creepers so love to do. “Lots of other guys feel the same way, therefore it’s correct!” NOPE.

kittehserf MOD

Bina – you notice it never works the other way, either. “Lots of women do not like being hit on, groped, perved, demeaned, etc, etc” somehow doesn’t count as an argument for teh menz to change their behaviour.

Tessa
Tessa

Kittehserf

Nope, it only works with men. It’s noraml for guys to do that stuff, so to say anything against it is the criminalization of male sexuality.

Bina

Kittehs: Yup, I noticed that. Always, ALWAYS the woman gets blamed for (a) “asking for it”, and then (b) being such a humorless Miss Priss when she gets what she “asked for”. Apparently, existing in public while female is Asking For It…who knew?

Meanwhile, I’m sure the Underwhelming Assholist will be pleased to know that he has something in common with an Afghan mullah, as far as age and consent go. (Trigger warning: violent rape, graphic medical description of injuries sustained by a tiny 10-year-old.)

J.J
J.J

…I just…I just.

Fuck this guy and all the ones like him who want to rape children and abuse people’s trust and pretend that because there are enough of them to form a club that they aren’t terrible people. Just the way he talks about teenage girls makes me sick, it’s just predatory and gross. ‘OH SHE HAS AN ADULT BODY BUT A CHILD’S MIND SO I CAN WARP HER AND ABUSE HER AND SHE WON’T CATCH ON.’ Just…ugh. And 12? Is a kid. Any adult who is having sex with one is a child rapist. Oh, wait, no- *barfs up some evo psych pedo apologia*

Sorry. I’m a little angry. I’m not even looking at that link, Bina, because then I might cry.

Lee
Lee

Bina: What’s even worse is that the girl may likely receive no justice for any of this, as what happened to her is considered her fault by her family. If Western standards were in play, every adult in this scenario would be in prison for a very long time.

Bina

I don’t blame you…I did, myself. And now her family is talking of honor-killing her because she’s no longer “marriageable”. What the everlasting fuck…she is a CHILD. If you’re going to kill anyone over the shame of this, let it be the mullah. He’s the one with the lousy moral judgment, after all…

kittehserf MOD

I didn’t look at the link either, Bina. I thought it might be that case and I saw enough about that on Pharyngula not to want to read more.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Most rapists think all men rape too. They are wrong.

weirwoodtreehugger

Brain bleach: I found a replacement for the feminist hamster the manospherians love to talk about.

This is a much more accurate depiction of the inside of my brain.

Lee
Lee

WWTH: That washer looks very, very familiar. And so does the cat, to be honest…we had a bunch of half-feral tabbies and calicos a couple of houses ago.

kittehserf MOD

Oh what a silly kitty! 😀

pallygirl
pallygirl

Ah, so that’s how all the cat fur gets on my laundered clothes, before I hang them to dry.

cloudiah

@Lids, Hugs if you want them. TAA is an asshat.

kittehserf MOD

Pallygirl, ha! You really think a mere washing machine has the power to get rid of cat furs? They are always there, furever and ever, fur without end, amen.

Zolnier
Zolnier

I remember the last thing this guy tried posting to TGWTG as the Distressed Watcher. “Top Ten Gayest Music Videos”, God he’s awful.

It’s awful how many people see straight, white, male and christian privilege and are happy to keep what’s convenient to them.

Orion

I have some issues with the treatment of pedophilia in this post and thread. I’m going to start with what might look like dictionary-troll pedantry, but I promise I have a real point.

The Amazing Atheist and the other folks covered in this post use the word pedophile for shock value, probably deliberately inaccurately in some cases, and possibly in ignorance in others. Their muddying the waters has carried over into the conversation here, which feels somewhat off point. The Amazing Atheist is a repulsive person, but despite his own claim it doesn’t sound like he’s a pedophile. Pedophiles are people attracted mostly or exclusively to prepubescent children.

The Amazing Atheist doesn’t seem interested in prepubescent children, he’s interested in adolescents. His language lingers obsessively on “breasts” and “asses” and other developmental markers of pubescence. That kind of “natural age of consent” bullshit is horrible, but by definition it can’t be pedophilia.

That’s an important distinction to make because the other thing about pedophilia is that it’s a mental disorder, probably biologically sourced. Pedophiles may be haunted by thoughts they find morally repulsive but can’t get rid of; some take drugs to suppress them. Some of these MRAs like to call themselves “ephebephiles,” a word that apparently means “attraction to adolescents,” but the analogy they’re making doesn’t make sense. These men aren’t unable to control their thoughts, they’re not incapable of physical attraction to adult women, and they’re not taking drugs to suppress their libidos and get rid of troubling thoughts. They don’t have a disorder; they’re neurotypical men who happen to be assholes.

I think it’s important to keep this in mind because these MRA types benefit from deliberately muddying the distinction between illness and doucheness, or between “deviant” thoughts (which may be involuntary) and “deviant” behaviors (which are willingly chosen).

In the case of “the amazing atheist,” he says that had “pedophilic fantasies” from age 14 to 19, but I don’t believe that’s true. The youngest girl he mentions being attracted to is 14; he doesn’t mention young children. Also, pedophilia is a sexual orientation; one doesn’t “grow out of it.” one does tend to be more attracted to people closer to one’s own age. It sounds to me as though what he means when he says he had “extreme pedophile fantasies” is that from when he was 14 to when he was 19, he thoughts 14 year olds was hot. That’s not a disorder and it’s nothing a neurotypical person wouldn’t experience.

So why does he call himself a pedophile, a child rapist, and all these other shock terms? I have two theories. Perhaps he actually thinks that’s what he legally is or would be. We all use “pedophilia” as a shorthand for various sex crimes, as though you could be arrested, charged, and convicted of “being a pedophile.” He probably doesn’t know that most age of consent crimes are not considered “child rape.” Crimes involving adolescent minors and young adults are usually “sexual abuse” or even just “unlawful intercourse.” I find it darkly funny that most of these “lower the age of consent” guys don’t even know the laws. Many of them act as though the age of consent were 18 with no exceptions, when in fact it’s 16 in more than half of America, sometimes with romeo and juliet laws as well.

The other possibility is that he knows full well that he’s exaggerating wildly and is doing so disingenously in order to appear victimized. He’s thinking someting like: “A 17 year old hitting on a 14 year old may be creepy asshole, but it’s a little much to call him a potential child rapist. I’ll call myself a child rapist to demonstrate the follies of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD, and when people realize that I and men like me are not child rapists hopefully they will forget that we ARE creepy assholes.”

Anyway, I suspect that when he was 20 and wrote in his book that “everyone” thinks 14 year old girls are hot but is afraid to admit it, he probably wasn’t talking about or even remembering the existence of 40 year old men. I think he’s sufficiently narcissistic to think that “everyone” means “20 year old men.” And in that context he’s not completely wrong. I don’t think there’s anything developmentally or neurologically abnormal in a 19 year old who finds a 14 year old attractive. There may well be something morally deficient in someone who pursues them. Let’s focus on calling creepers creepers rather than calling them mentally ill and risking being proved wrong.

1 2 3 5