Uncategorized

On The Spearhead, the regulars reject women rejecting feminism

From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism

Are women turning against feminism? Over on The Spearhead, WF Price sets forth the proposition that “the younger generation of women [is] rejecting ‘feminism’ in stronger terms than I’ve ever witnessed in my life.”

His proof for this? A Tumblr blog called Women Against Feminism, featuring a couple dozen photos of women holding signs denouncing feminism. Or what they think feminism is, anyway.

feminismtruewomen

Others seem to be reacting against stereotypical notions of feminism that bear little relation to the real thing:

feminismequality
feminismcook

Still others have somewhat more, well, idiosyncratic reasons:

feminismbodyhair

For whatever reason, quite a few of the women posting these pictures are from Poland.

At least here in the US, it’s not news that a lot of women reject feminism – or at least the feminist label. There are plenty of  traditionalist women who reject the central tenets of feminism. And there are many others who may share some feminist beliefs but don’t want to call themselves feminists, in part because of the bad rap feminists get in the media and, these days, online. Anyone who’s been a feminist for any length of time has heard women (and some men) announce that “I’m not a feminist, but …” and then follow that statement with a sentiment that is, by any reasonable definition, feminist.

Now some of these “I’m not a feminist, but” types are posting pictures like this, using what is essentially a feminist analysis to criticize what they see as a central shortcoming of feminism:

feministagents
Naturally, WF Price has a somewhat different explanation for this alleged trend.

What I think is going on here is that younger women need men more than their older, feminist counterparts did in their heyday.

And why is that? Because times are hard. And so even though men today are struggling, women are struggling even more, and so – in WF Price’s imagination, anyway — they’ve come to appreciate what men can do for them.

The less men have – and the less men there are in general – the more women need them. Without men or without men of means, there can be no surplus, no you-go-grrrrl feminism, no fancy restaurants and no nice houses. Everything just goes to crap.

Heck, Price argues, even men without jobs make better roommates for women than other women, because, you know, they can open jars and stuff:

[W]hat use could a man possibly be if he has no money to speak of? Only someone who has never lived with a woman could find that one hard to answer. A healthy young man with no money can drive, carry things, fix things, protect his mate, solve problems, save money, do chores — the list goes on. And when he gets a job, he will pay his way and do all these things, even if he makes less than his girlfriend. It’s a much, much better deal for a woman than a female roommate.

According to Price, feminism had whatever successes it did have in the past because the economy was booming.

What created this “independent woman” myth was the great prosperity of the baby boomer era, which lasted from roughly the mid 60s to the mid 2000s. Men abounded, and they were flush with cash. Businesses could afford to hire superfluous cute girls and give them nice salaries. Family courts could rob men blind and they’d still have enough left over for a reasonable lifestyle and a chance to start over. Men were harvesting the fat of the land, and there was more than enough to go around.

Huh. I lived through that baby boomer era, and I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t one giant materialistic orgy. There were, I vaguely recall, more than a couple of pretty severe recessions. And back in the heyday of second wave feminism in the seventies there was something called “stagflation.”

But let’s not get in the way of WF Price’s little fairy tale. In the baby boomer era, everyone prospered. Now, everyone is poor. Or at least the young people are:

When you’re poor, life is a lot easier if you can share with someone, and nobody shares more with girls than boys. So merely finding a man to share burdens is a considerable relief to young women. Is a feminist going to fix a car, carry a TV upstairs or take her to the hospital to give birth? Will the feminist voluntarily share any of what she earns with the young woman? Yeah, right…

Apparently in Price’s world “the feminist” is essentially a female version of Scrooge McDuck.

Male scarcity in either numbers or resources effectively prevents feminism. Surplus enables it. In a sense, one could say that feminism’s own downfall is built in to the ideology itself, because it contributes to male scarcity.

Wars between the sexes accomplish nothing in the long run, but they do highlight the complementary, interdependent nature of the sexes: when one sex “beats” the other, both lose. Today’s young women seem to understand that a lot better than their foolish mothers ever did.

In the comments, the Spearhead regulars are less forgiving of “foolish” women than Price is. Regular commenter Geographybeefinalisthimself suggests that antifeminist men should be something less than gracious in their (alleged) victory:

Even if women are in fact rejecting feminism (and I treat this with a lot of suspicion), I don’t see why men should not be vindictive since feminists were pretty damn vindictive to men (myself included, though I am well aware that I am not the only one) when male power was a myth.

Since young men got paid back for discrimination that wasn’t their fault, I don’t see why they shouldn’t turn around and do likewise to a subsequent generation of females. If feminism can come to an end now (and I am not convinced that it is dead yet), it also could have come to an end twenty years ago. I always take the attitude that if something can happen now, it could have happened many years ago as well.

Someone calling himself Lastango, meanwhile, indulges himself in some hypothetical Atlas Shrugging:

[T]he tide is going out and it’s increasingly obvious feminism has been swimming naked, keeping its head above water only because it could float on government money. Unfortunately for feminists, this is happening at the very moment men are increasingly aware of having been demonized and exploited during the past 40 years, and Atlas is starting to shrug… he’ll be staying dry, on the beach, instead of swimming out to rescue a drowning political tribe of privileged, entitled women who have been using him for their own gain.

The misogynists of the manosphere are never quite so happy as when they contemplate women being punished.

The women posting pictures to the Women Against Feminism blog might be surprised by how ungentlemanly these fellows really are.

NOTE: I cropped the pics from Women Against Feminism to save space and highlight the signs.

Lea
Lea

Ah, the troll’s comment is back and it’s pathetically typical.

What a sad existence people like that must live.

“I have no rebuttal, but I don’t like the way you look! Ha! Take that! Someone you will never meet and whose opinion you wouldn’t respect anyway has unsolicited opinions about your body to share! Also, you’re gay (because that’s a bad thing?) or not gay but not having teh sexes (also a bad thing?)!”

You just know that after they hit “Post Comment” they high five themselves for being so clever and not at all ignorant toads.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Trolls: the toads even cane toads find toxic.

Leela
Leela

@strivingally

Oh yes, it’s actually a good way to make money, especially if you’re a woman. Seriously, check it out and you’ll see a ton of people offering this exact service.

Why is it so popular? There are a lot of companies that use people holding up signs to make it appear that their product is “legit” and awesome. A lot of scummy companies use fiverr to get written reviews, video reviews, and then these sign reviews. Of course, some people use it for other reasons; boys use them to “prove” to their friends and family that they have a hot girlfriend, tumblr blogs use them to make it appear like the have fans, and then you get political reasons like this. Back when Romney was running for election, there were people trying to buy Romney supporters holding up signs.

Some people (like me) have a limit on what type of clients we take. Others are desperate and can’t say no to anything. Mostly, people outside the US don’t even know what they’re writing or saying when they take these jobs.

As for Elam spending the “security” money on them, it would not surprise me. They’ve already been caught paying users to comment on articles.

Lea
Lea

Paid internet confederates?

It’s so simple and without any hint of pride or integrity.

It should have occurred to me as a possibility.

Saphy
Saphy

URGENT UPDATE FROM FEMINIST HIGH COMMAND: Men appear to have found a way to adapt our traditional misandric chairs and undermine our campaign of mild discomfort:

Saphy
Saphy

(A ‘stool for kilt wearers’ if you were wondering)

Bina
Bina

It makes me think of closeted gay men arguing that they don’t need to be out because all the out guys are a)screaming Nancy fairy queens, or b) dead serious activist dudes. Not realizing that they’re getting laid because of those guys.

Truth! The closet has so much in common with internalized misogyny that it’s not even funny.

tesformes

As Dan Savage once said, homophobia is just misogyny’s little brother. It’s not just closeted gay men, either. I think it was LBT who posted a link to a conversation about g0ys, who acknowledge being attracted to men, but are hyper-masculine about it and believe anal sex permanently defiles your manliness.

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

Saphy, I’m laughing so much I can hardly breathe!

daintydougal
daintydougal

I missed a whole page of comments. Daddy longlegs type spiders are the very worst. Especially if they fly as well but tarantula types are ok, they’re just like mice with too many legs and generally seem pretty chill. It’s the unpredictable flailing that I can’t stand.

I was at an animal sanctuary and they had a bit where they took some of the reptiles and creepy crawlies out. The lady (!) was showing around this awesome blue tarantula guy saying, ‘don’t worry, I won’t come too close to people faces’. It was only after she had put it away she explained they can jump like 4 foot if they so desire. Also shoot poisonous hairs. There were a few screams.

tinyorc

One of my best friends has a magic talent for opening things. I have never seen her fail. Not only can she get the lid off anything, but she can also do it with seemingly no effort. It was particularly funny, because I was living with three guys at the time and also owned an incredibly stubborn (read: badly designed) thermos flask that always managed to seal itself shut if I put anything hot in it. It used to amuse me to watch my roommates huff and puff and heave and turn red, eyes and veins popping trying to get the damn thing open, then she’d come over and gracefully twist the lid off with no visible strain. When the man scarcity problem really starts to impact on my daily life, I’m going to form a commune with her as the illustrious jar-opening leader.

leftwingfox

I know a gay/bi kilt-wearing couple who would appreciate that bar stool.

Julie (ᴍᴄ) Galliard (@mcjulie)

@Kim

Are you joking? England is where giant house spiders come from.

daintydougal
daintydougal

@Julie
I really hate those things. Like. Really hate. Why are garden spiders small and cute but the ones who want to come inside giant bastards who don’t even make webs? Fo’real. If I’m by myself and one of those suckers shows himself he’s getting smashed. End o’ conversation. And it makes me feel really bad. Gah.

weirwoodtreehugger

I’ll tell you why a lot of them are from Poland, because women from Poland and other countries make decent money via fiverr.com by holding up signs that say whatever you want. One of those girls is for sure a fiverr model, and a quick glance at the other photos tell me that some or most of them are paid to hold those signs up as well. Source: use to work for fiverr doing the same thing.

This had never occurred to me but it makes so much sense. Never trust the internet!

This is as pathetic as the 4chan fake feminist troll hashtags.

grumpycatisagirl

If these women are being paid to hold signs and they don’t even know what the says are saying, that’s a whole extra level of sheer depressingness.

Question because I’m ignorant: why would this be an especially popular way to make money in Poland?

Leela
Leela

@weirwoodtreehugger

It’s horrible how deep buying shill reviews, posts, videos, etc. really goes. It’s not just fiverr, mturk is another site that buys shill comments and reviews. If you have no soul and don’t mind your words, photos, videos, etc. being used for whatever reason, you can make some decent cash. I remember when a certain cable company was offering a few bucks for positive comments on their webpage… it’s so damn shady.

grumpycatisagirl

er, what the signs are saying. Sorry for commenting before coffee.

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

Around here, spiders only get removed when they threaten my husband. That would be any time they’re within view of him. Guy does not like spiders. I generally bare-hand them to the door. Spiders are cute. Wasps get the cup-and-piece-of-paper ride to the door. Jar lids either get a rubber glove or the bottle opener to break the seal, though I admit it’s been a while since I had a jar I couldn’t open bare-handed.
The husband is responsible for getting things off high shelves, though. That and putting books away.
My mother used to live where they had what were known as “aggressive house spiders”, which used to regularly inhabit her shower. Her truce with the spiders involved a towel hung over the side of the tub so they could climb out again, and a washcloth in the sink for the same purpose. Though I like spiders, it was a little unnerving going into the shower, which had a brown roof, knowing there might be a brown spider up there, and being unable to see anything as small as a spider if it were further than a few inches away if I didn’t have my glasses on.

Leela
Leela

@grumpycatisagirl

It’s not necessarily that it’s popular because they’re Poland, it’s just that people from Poland and other non-english speaking countries (especially poor countries) flock to these type of jobs because it’s an easy and quick way to make money. They are also more willing to go further than American models (like showing more skin, saying really horrible things) because they need the money and whatever they do or say likely won’t effect them negatively like it would your typical American fiverr model. That’s why a lot of American fiverr models wear masks or keep their faces out of the pictures, whereas the non-American models typically don’t.

cloudiah

I think this is my favorite “I don’t need feminism” post because of the cognitive dissonance.

And I love that they had to kick this off by using paid shills from fiverr.com. Perfect.

DJG
DJG

@ Robert – Well spotted and stated.

@OP

[Some of these women are fairly articulate about the source of their hostility against feminism: they’re traditionalists who don’t like being judged for their choices:]

I hope that wasn’t intended to mock her ESL skills.

***

I remember seeing some of the criticism Agnieszka Radwanska (a Pole) received after appearing in the ESPN The Body issue (noteworthily not ageist; that issue I believe also featured septuagenarian Gary Player); it was church-generated along the lines of posing nude’s making her undesirable wife material. It seemed bizarrely unrealistic – as if being an “old maid” were the worst possible fate that could befall even an elite athlete who’s already won all the money she’ll ever need, or as if she couldn’t pick and choose anyway. I also heard her discussing why she chose to do it and the response a couple of times, and she did seem (if memory serves) to suggest that traditionalist attitudes were fairly prevalent.

Mnemosyne
Mnemosyne

I know they shouldn’t…but these sorts of statements make me feel bad about myself. I understand that these women are traditionalists and I really don’t care what they do, but why does the fact that I want to be more than just a stay at home mom make me not “a true woman?” Working in mental health has been my dream for a while now and I will continue to work hard until I get there.

Yet because I’m 22 and I’ve never had a boyfriend in my life, I sometimes feel as if it’ll never happen. Statements like these traditionalist women are making, only drive that knife in deeper. It sometimes feels like they’re flaunting their relationships at women like me as if to say “I’m a perfect housewife with a husband/boyfriend and you, with your college degree are all alone…. Ha! Ha! Ha!”

Still, I’m not super girly and have never been. I’ve often wondered if that’s the reason guys don’t notice me. But that’s just not me. Why can’t I be a “true woman” too? I still hope there are men out there who like women who aren’t ultra-feminine left…

I guess I’m reading way too much into these photos and seeing my insecurities where they don’t exist. Regardless, the Manosphere is not good for my self-image.

Ken L.

@Mnemosyne

I understand why you feel like that. But look at it the other way. For along time that was the image feminism projected that of anti-stay at home woman. Even if that was never meant or explicitly stated by the movement, It was the message that was received. Like most movements feminism made mistakes starting out. Stay at home woman felt much the same way you do. Just for different reasons. The pain stay at home woman felt is one of the messaging mistakes/misunderstandings that feminism will never fully shake off.

GrumpyOldMan

People have been predicting the death of feminism from the day after the bra-burning that wasn’t — ho-hum. So many feminist ideas have strongly penetrated our culture (except for an angry and vocal minority) that people only see the ones that haven’t yet made it. The fact that most criticisms of feminism as evil rely on obvious straw-man misrepresentations demonstrates the lack of real arguments.

I have been meaning to post a link to a virulently anti-feminist column written by a woman, which seems relevant here because of its prediction that feminism will die out and its reliance on obvious straw-man mischaracterizations of feminism. It’s entitled “Do Men Hate Women – Justifiably” and states: “In short, women hold the trump card in our feminized society, and men know it. If I were a man, I’d shy away from women too. What a horrible, twisted, mixed-up world.” http://www.wnd.com/2014/06/do-men-hate-women-justifiably/

In our house, I open the bottles because my wife has weak hands; but recently, I’ve had to use a tool or call for our son, who can open anything. On the other hand, when we want beef stew I cut up the beef and she browns it, then I peel and cut up the veggies and she does the seasoning. I can’t cook anything that can’t be done in a microwave but I have more time than she does. We are both very stubborn and opinionated people but we have managed to find a way to stay married for 30 years, in part because I have no hang-ups (or not many, anyway) about what a man’s role should be. This is precisely what the MRAs don’t get — they seem to think that if you cut up veggies for a stew you might as well cut off your testicles and throw them into the stew too.

@Lea: regarding one of your earlier comments, one of the common human failings I’ve noticed is the tendency to feel that someone who has made different choices that you have is implicitly criticizing your choices. If a woman decides (for example) to shave her legs, obviously social conditioning influences her choice, but that doesn’t mean that she’s not as much of a feminist as someone who doesn’t shave. As a pro-feminist man, I’ve always thought that at heart feminism was about choices — that you get to decide whether to shave your legs for whatever reason seems good to you.

grumpycatisagirl

@leela, I had been wondering about how much skin these women are showing, or the fact that in some cases aren’t showing their faces.

The most heinous picture I have seen so far is highlighted in this article, where a headless naked women is holding up a sign about the irresponsible-woman-crying-rape-trope. I mean, for real? (I guess probably not).

scarlettpipstrelle

If they are paying people to pose with these signs, I guess that tells us everything we need to know about the MRA’s support base.

Bina
Bina

The extreme irony of the traditionalist anti-feminist position is, the original US feminists were not only about voting and women’s right to work for wages outside the home, but also in favor of legal protections for battered housewives, as well as liberalizing the then-terrible divorce laws, and were also for a housewife’s pension, so that if she were ever in need of money (e.g. through spousal abandonment, a common side effect of strict divorce laws), she would not be forced to starve, die of overwork in a horribly underpaid job, or sell her body. Things they never think about in their white-bread bubble universe, assuming those people are sincere…and not just paid to troll us after all.

Leela
Leela

@grumpycatisagirl

Yeah, you get more money if you show more skin/do sexy poses, and seeing these “supporters” in sexy poses is what first set off the alarm bells.

You can see it in action at this link. Notice how many of the models are out of country and they’re typically the one offering more sexy pictures: http://www.fiverr.com/categories/advertising/holding-a-sign/#layout=auto&page=1

scarlettpipstrelle

Yes, Bina, if a woman was married and a mother, it was perfectly legal for her husband to drink away his entire paycheck. If she got a job or took in work to buy food for their children, it was perfectly legal for the husband to confiscate her entire pay. People who wanted to help had to be careful to lend – not give – her things, because anything given to her could be legally seized and sold by the husband. Such was life under “feme couvert” and although it was no longer the law when I was young, I can remember when women had a hard time making major purchases if they were married but didn’t bring their husband along.

scarlettpipstrelle

I meant “feme covert.” Too many years of French. http://www.library.hbs.edu/hc/wes/collections/women_law/ While married women may have had some property rights, they were extremely limited and if the women was poor or working class, there would be little or nothing for her to claim in her own right anyway.

twincats
twincats

just because it’s allowed, doesn’t mean it’s mandatory

This needs to be on a t-shirt, stat!

FTR, I have carpal tunnel syndrome, which means diminished hand strength and pain and I STILL can open most jars myself. As far as spiders go, husband has to eliminate them for me as I’m quite sensitive to spider venom. A tiny California house spider can make me sick for days if it gets a bite in 🙁

Bina
Bina

I can still remember when women had to have their husband’s permission to open their own bank accounts or credit cards. And a single woman doing that? Perish forbid! That was one of the things feminism abolished in my lifetime alone. (And up here in Canada, we also did away with all anti-abortion laws — ALL of them — in 1988. Another thing we unnecessary feminists were good for!)

If these women are so brave and independent as to seriously claim not to need feminism, I’d invite them to take a step into the Wayback Machine and go back just 40 years or so. And if that’s not enough, I’ll set the dial to 100 or even 150, and see how much REAL tradition appeals to them then. I’ll bet they’d all change their tune pretty fast if they only knew what it was really like…

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

@Mnemosyne – I’m a SAHM, and I hear a lot of playgroup and school pickup conversations between parents. There are women who’ve chosen to go the full-time mommy track, and some of them really envy the kind of life you’re leading. You’re independent, you have a rich and rewarding career ahead of you. I’m happy with my choices, but I still had a pretty hard couple of days when my best friend graduated from college back in May . She’d had an amazing undergraduate experience at a school that I hadn’t even considered back when I was looking at colleges; she now has a life full of endless possibilities and adventure ahead of her. I’m excited and happy for her, but for a while there was some really unattractive jealousy in my emotional mix. I’d never trade in my life, but still…the grass is always greener and all that.

I take a lot of comfort in something I heard Laurel Thatcher Ulrich say during an interview on The Diane Rehm Show. Somebody called in with a question about women balancing work and family, and she replied “Women can definitely have it all. We just can’t have it all at the same time.” There’s a time for everything in our lives. I chose to have a family a little earlier in my timeline; maybe later I’ll have work and travel. You’ve chosen to devote yourself to your work and scholarly passion. Later there will be your time for love. There’s somebody out there – probably lots of somebodies- who will be delighted by you just as you are. Love happens to people every day. It will come. 🙂

Kakanian
Kakanian

>I remember seeing some of the criticism Agnieszka Radwanska (a Pole) received after appearing in the ESPN The Body issue

Yes, Poles tend to joke that their country is going to end up being ruled by a coalition of churchmen and voters above fifty in the near future. The catholic church apparently has been regaining massive ground ever since the wall came down and is currently well-represented and politically influential via its own set of media channels.

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

Another use for things like fiverr is to get pics to pretend to be a woman online for things like forums and games. I try to warn people they may be duped and to learn to roll with it, but some people (guys especially) over invest in a relationship with someone they don’t know.

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

Dammit. I just described a sock puppet sort of.

Ally S

I don’t need to grow out my body hair to prove I’m equal to men.

The women who grow out their body hair feel the same way. That’s probably because no woman actually does that for the purpose of proving that women are equal to men.

A man holding open a door is not a ‘misogynistic pig’, he is a GENTLEMAN!

“Gentleman” totally isn’t a word whose sole purpose is glorifying masculinity. Nope.

I don’t need feminism because it reinforces the men as agents/women as victims dichotomy.

This just in: talking about patriarchal discourse is exactly the same as supporting it!

Julie (ᴍᴄ) Galliard (@mcjulie)

@daintydougal

Ugh, I know. They terrify me. I’m an arachnophobe so all spiders scare me a little bit, but the giant house spider is the absolute worst.

I’m pretty sure Shelob is based on Tolkien’s familiarity with these. (Book!Shelob, anyway. Peter Jackson made her look and act like a totally different and actually much less horrifying kind of spider.)

In our house spider-killing is cooperative. The first person to spot it keeps their eye on it while the other person goes to get tissue or a vacuum cleaner or something. That’s what it means to have a modern egalitarian marriage.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

@Mnemosyne

One strange but pronounced tendency of sexists is that they feel the need to universalize their sexual preferences. It’s not “I like men/women that are like xyz,” it’s “Men/women that are like xyz are objectively attractive and anyone who says they don’t find xyz people attractive is lying or delusional or a filthy deviant.” I’m not sure why this is the case. Are they too insecure to just like what they like without the need for external justification and validation of their choices? They can’t like something unless everyone else does too?

Regardless, pay them no mind. If you talk to people, you’ll find that sexual tastes vary quite widely. Recall the last of the recurrent “sexy men” discussions here on WHTM.

Personally, I really like “unfeminine” women. I just met a woman that has been spending her summer teaching field courses to undergrads while backpacking. Ball cap, farmer tan, no makeup, short nails with a little dirt still under them, lanky, a little bit goofy and awkward and smart as hell. Not sure if I have time for a relationship in gradschool, but we hit it off really well and I don’t think I’d forgive myself if I didn’t at least make a go of it.

So, yeah, don’t let assholes make you feel like you’re unattractive just because you don’t fit into what their insecurity-boners try and dictate as the one true standard of sexiness.

RandomPoster
RandomPoster

Ah, my own worldview affirmed yet again: human females are indeed really fundamentally opportunistically mercenary. No wonder why they say prostitution is truly the oldest profession. Though it is indeed to be expected, after all if even monkeys do it already, then of course humans would as well too.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

Actually, the gene for prostitution was first evolved by penguins.
Unfunny penguins.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Grumpycatisagirl:

Maybe it’s just this particular line of signs? Maybe there’s like, one anti-feminist guy purchasing these signs and he happens to be Polish or Polish-speaking, so he went to Polish fiverr? He may or may not be also the person running the Tumblr.

Although frankly I wouldn’t even know if fiverr is available in Polish or not. Anyway, I’d expect most young Poles to speak at least some English.

vaiyt

@RandomPoster:

You could at least try not sounding like a parody of a troll.

@zoon echon logon:

This annoys me to no end. I feel the urge to scream “God dammit people, haven’t you any sense of anything that other people besides you think??? Don’t you know any culture besides your own? Can’t you see past art and notice how beauty standards change over time? Jesus Christ on a pickup truck!”

sparky
sparky

Oh joy, the RandomPest is back.

And actually appears to be arguing that impoverished women getting paid $5 to hold up a sign means that all “human females” are “fndamentally opportunistically mercenary” and “prostitution.”

I guess I should be happy that at least ze’s pecifying which species of “female” ze’s talking about.

daintydougal
daintydougal

grumpycatisagirl, that article is so good. Shame about the entirety of the mrm hanging out in the comments. Do they really have nothing better to do?

contrapangloss

On the ‘Women had no property-money rights, back when…’

My great-grandma’s still kicking and playing tennis, but she remembers that stuff! Both of them had gender-neutral nicknames, but it sometimes caused a conundrum; her nickname is more commonly male associated, while great grandpa’s legal name was more commonly a female name.

She remembers getting bills sent back to them, because they needed “Willie’s” signature as the man of the house, instead of “Shirley’s”. Or, they’d receive bills for a Mr. Willie (Lastname)”.

They corrected the first few companies, then great-grandma just threw her hands in the air and told my great grandpa she’d do the finances, since they kept asking for her, anyway.

He was totally fine with that.

Lea
Lea

RandomPest, do you draw non sequiturs out of a hat to decide what to post?

We don’t shame sex workers here. You won’t insult anyone by calling us prostitutes, but there’s nothing written here that suggests women are “mercenaries” (Nor is being paid for a non-violent service equal to being a professional killer. People provide services for money. That does not mean they are all mercenaries.) or that all women are prostitutes. You’re misogynist ravings don’t make any sense. Get a grip, Creepy.

grumpycatisagirl

That’s a pretty funny story, contrapangloss. Totally encapsulates how stupid those stupid rules were.

Lea
Lea

The hat is a fedora, isn’t it?

In other news, I got the cutest little straw trilby a few days ago. My eldest daughter cracked up when I walked in the door wearing it. It’s cute, dammit! It keeps the sun off my noggin.