Uncategorized

On The Spearhead, the regulars reject women rejecting feminism

From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism

Are women turning against feminism? Over on The Spearhead, WF Price sets forth the proposition that “the younger generation of women [is] rejecting ‘feminism’ in stronger terms than I’ve ever witnessed in my life.”

His proof for this? A Tumblr blog called Women Against Feminism, featuring a couple dozen photos of women holding signs denouncing feminism. Or what they think feminism is, anyway.

Some of these women are fairly articulate about the source of their hostility against feminism: they’re traditionalists who don’t like being judged for their choices:

feminismtruewomen

Others seem to be reacting against stereotypical notions of feminism that bear little relation to the real thing:

feminismequality
feminismcook

Still others have somewhat more, well, idiosyncratic reasons:

feminismbodyhair

For whatever reason, quite a few of the women posting these pictures are from Poland.

At least here in the US, it’s not news that a lot of women reject feminism – or at least the feminist label. There are plenty of  traditionalist women who reject the central tenets of feminism. And there are many others who may share some feminist beliefs but don’t want to call themselves feminists, in part because of the bad rap feminists get in the media and, these days, online. Anyone who’s been a feminist for any length of time has heard women (and some men) announce that “I’m not a feminist, but …” and then follow that statement with a sentiment that is, by any reasonable definition, feminist.

Now some of these “I’m not a feminist, but” types are posting pictures like this, using what is essentially a feminist analysis to criticize what they see as a central shortcoming of feminism:

feministagents
Naturally, WF Price has a somewhat different explanation for this alleged trend.

What I think is going on here is that younger women need men more than their older, feminist counterparts did in their heyday.

And why is that? Because times are hard. And so even though men today are struggling, women are struggling even more, and so – in WF Price’s imagination, anyway — they’ve come to appreciate what men can do for them.

The less men have – and the less men there are in general – the more women need them. Without men or without men of means, there can be no surplus, no you-go-grrrrl feminism, no fancy restaurants and no nice houses. Everything just goes to crap.

Heck, Price argues, even men without jobs make better roommates for women than other women, because, you know, they can open jars and stuff:

[W]hat use could a man possibly be if he has no money to speak of? Only someone who has never lived with a woman could find that one hard to answer. A healthy young man with no money can drive, carry things, fix things, protect his mate, solve problems, save money, do chores — the list goes on. And when he gets a job, he will pay his way and do all these things, even if he makes less than his girlfriend. It’s a much, much better deal for a woman than a female roommate.

According to Price, feminism had whatever successes it did have in the past because the economy was booming.

What created this “independent woman” myth was the great prosperity of the baby boomer era, which lasted from roughly the mid 60s to the mid 2000s. Men abounded, and they were flush with cash. Businesses could afford to hire superfluous cute girls and give them nice salaries. Family courts could rob men blind and they’d still have enough left over for a reasonable lifestyle and a chance to start over. Men were harvesting the fat of the land, and there was more than enough to go around.

Huh. I lived through that baby boomer era, and I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t one giant materialistic orgy. There were, I vaguely recall, more than a couple of pretty severe recessions. And back in the heyday of second wave feminism in the seventies there was something called “stagflation.”

But let’s not get in the way of WF Price’s little fairy tale. In the baby boomer era, everyone prospered. Now, everyone is poor. Or at least the young people are:

When you’re poor, life is a lot easier if you can share with someone, and nobody shares more with girls than boys. So merely finding a man to share burdens is a considerable relief to young women. Is a feminist going to fix a car, carry a TV upstairs or take her to the hospital to give birth? Will the feminist voluntarily share any of what she earns with the young woman? Yeah, right…

Apparently in Price’s world “the feminist” is essentially a female version of Scrooge McDuck.

Male scarcity in either numbers or resources effectively prevents feminism. Surplus enables it. In a sense, one could say that feminism’s own downfall is built in to the ideology itself, because it contributes to male scarcity.

Wars between the sexes accomplish nothing in the long run, but they do highlight the complementary, interdependent nature of the sexes: when one sex “beats” the other, both lose. Today’s young women seem to understand that a lot better than their foolish mothers ever did.

In the comments, the Spearhead regulars are less forgiving of “foolish” women than Price is. Regular commenter Geographybeefinalisthimself suggests that antifeminist men should be something less than gracious in their (alleged) victory:

Even if women are in fact rejecting feminism (and I treat this with a lot of suspicion), I don’t see why men should not be vindictive since feminists were pretty damn vindictive to men (myself included, though I am well aware that I am not the only one) when male power was a myth.

Since young men got paid back for discrimination that wasn’t their fault, I don’t see why they shouldn’t turn around and do likewise to a subsequent generation of females. If feminism can come to an end now (and I am not convinced that it is dead yet), it also could have come to an end twenty years ago. I always take the attitude that if something can happen now, it could have happened many years ago as well.

Someone calling himself Lastango, meanwhile, indulges himself in some hypothetical Atlas Shrugging:

[T]he tide is going out and it’s increasingly obvious feminism has been swimming naked, keeping its head above water only because it could float on government money. Unfortunately for feminists, this is happening at the very moment men are increasingly aware of having been demonized and exploited during the past 40 years, and Atlas is starting to shrug… he’ll be staying dry, on the beach, instead of swimming out to rescue a drowning political tribe of privileged, entitled women who have been using him for their own gain.

The misogynists of the manosphere are never quite so happy as when they contemplate women being punished.

The women posting pictures to the Women Against Feminism blog might be surprised by how ungentlemanly these fellows really are.

NOTE: I cropped the pics from Women Against Feminism to save space and highlight the signs.

Leela
Leela

I’ll tell you why a lot of them are from Poland, because women from Poland and other countries make decent money via fiverr.com by holding up signs that say whatever you want. One of those girls is for sure a fiverr model, and a quick glance at the other photos tell me that some or most of them are paid to hold those signs up as well. Source: use to work for fiverr doing the same thing.

Lea
Lea

Robert,
They do bear an uncanny resemblance to each other, don’t they?

I must have missed the troll.
Good.
Thanks mods!

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

@ Lea

That reminds me of the reason I’m still terrified of wasps. You see, back when I was in high school (and also had a whole lot of rather pouffy hair) I was in a greengrocer picking out fruit and I felt this weird sensation on the back of my neck. And then I heard the buzzing. Yep, there was a wasp crawling on the back of my neck, under my masses of curly 80s hair. I’m pretty sure that everyone around me once I realized this thought I was performing some sort of reenactment of The Exorcist, given the noises I ended up making and the violent contortions that ensued.

Lea
Lea

cassandrakitty,
Yikes!

Shiraz
Shiraz

That first image, the woman seems to be nibbling the edge of her sign. Yeah, OK. I dunno, it seems like a lot of those images were taken to give the photo taker (in each case, probably an insecure sexist) a boner.

weirwoodtreehugger

Somebody told me that daddy longlegs weren’t actually spiders when I was a kid and I believed it. Until now. I looked it up so I could share my very special wisdom with you all and found out that they actually are arachnids. Oops.

Shiraz
Shiraz

**Chuckle-snort**

Yeah, that’s some funny shit, Lea.

But wow, MRAs prove over and over again that they can’t get over women not needing them by talking about jar opening, carrying heavy things and opening doors. That’s low-bar stuff, fellas. Can you be a kind, considerate human being? Can you look at someone outside of your demo and regard them as human and as an equal? No? That’s what is fucked up, you idiots.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Re opening jars, I bought this: http://www.thegoodstore.com.au/d814-136/jarkey/

They sell them in NZ now.

weirwoodtreehugger

Re: Bugs in the hair

One time a June bug flew into my hair. I somehow didn’t notice it until I got home and put my hand up to my head and it flew out. Shudder.

Spiders don’t bother me but June bugs do. They’re huge and they crunch. No!

I’ve never encountered flying roaches. Maybe they don’t have them in Minnesota. There are a few advantages of living in a colder climate. The bugs aren’t bad at all. Especially in the city. The sin cities. AKA Minneapolis and St Paul

kittehserf MOD

Lea, my pleasure. David might restore the comment later, but stuffed if I’m gonna leave a personal attack on him up, when he’d get rid of attacks on any of us. Evil modly powers are a grand thing.

::twirls moustache::

One sort of daddy longlegs is a non-spider arachnid. But I think it’s one of those names that’s used for a lot of different critters.

kittehserf MOD

I don’t think I’d be too bothered by wetas. They look sort of like crickets on steroids. It’s spiders that I’m scared of, or wasps (we have European wasps here and they’re very aggressive), or damn flies getting into my hair – that buzzing right near me freaks me out a bit.

Always loved that Footrot Flats cartoon where Wal thought he’d give Aunt Dolly a huge fright by going in with a weta on his hat. Didn’t pan out quite the way he thought …

pallygirl
pallygirl

LOL kitteh you bravely say that now. Manly men flinch at wetas over here. IRL they don’t look like crickets at all, more like evil cockroaches with big legs. And they bite.

pallygirl
pallygirl
kittehserf MOD

Oh, they bite, do they? That puts a slightly different slant on it. At least they don’t look as creepy as spiders. I don’t mind six legs, it’s eight or more that are the problem!

NZ dude I knew a loooong time ago described a weta landing on his head once. He described his scream as having made a blast crater – flattened trees, crops, stunned sheep and so on.

Kakanian
Kakanian

What I found the most entertaining is that these women have drunk enough of the Liberalism kool-aid to seriously believe that rejecting state, society and interest groups working in your favour is the high road to liberty and success.

It’s especially funny as the US brand of liberalism seems to usually suggest that the state is actually hostile to individuals to some degree, making having some sort of safeguard against it all the more important.

We don’t get too many Afro-Americans rejecting the Civil Rights movement and proposing that black people should be acting out white people’s prejudice about their race because …well because apparently that’s how disadvantaged groups suceed according to the strange brand of liberalism being peddled here.

weirwoodtreehugger

It looks like the furrinati are testing the weta’s defenses and hopefully they will soon figure out a way to rid us of this plague.

kittehserf MOD

My goodness, wetas do have huge choppers!

Is it cleaning its antenna at the end?

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

It’s weird how MRAs et al. seem literally incapable of imagining a romantic relationship not based of dependence and/or exploitation.

It’s like they think they have so little to offer that they can’t conceive of the idea of a woman being in a relationship with them because she wants to be and not because she has to be. If she’s not completely dependent on me, why would she stick around?

And, of course, they’re so obsessed with using other people as tools to satisfy their own desires that they can’t imagine anyone doing differently.

kittehserf MOD

zoon, that’s it, isn’t it? So much of what we say to trolls here comes down to NAMALY – not all men are like you – but they are too malidiotic to get it.

Clothesminded
Clothesminded

Women against feminism ? What’s next gays against gay marriage ? Blacks for the kkk

BlueTuesday
BlueTuesday

The spearheaders rejection and mocking of the women in this tumblr is entirely unsurprising. They have their worldview and they’re sticking to it – too little, too late, why weren’t they doing this 20 years ago? Um because most of these young women were still in diapers 20 years ago.

I still need feminism because even though I’m a Christian, stay-at-home mom there are still large numbers of men who think my gender makes me less than fully human and would like nothing better than to see my human rights taken away from me.

friday jones
friday jones

Inferiority Complex, or sometimes Imposter Syndrome in successful individuals.

friday jones
friday jones

That was in reply to this:
“Has anyone come up with some kind of term for culture wide Stockholm Syndrome?”

pallygirl
pallygirl

Atheists against logical thought…wait what?

Note: your atheist may vary.

saphy
saphy

The opening line of Daniela’s troll comment was so childishly irrelevant, but written with such conviction in ithe gravity and solemn importance of that statement that I actually laughed out loud in my place of work and now I have to explain to my boss why I am so unprofessional.

Thanks Daniela.

saphy
saphy

Also, I can’t remember the last time that I couldn’t open a jar by myself. I was probably still in primary school.

And boyfriend does all of our cooking because he is excellent at it and I am just happy to help by chopping vegetables and opening jars.

kittehserf MOD

saphy – I hope my zapping Daniela’s comment doesn’t get your boss going “Argh, I see no comment, my employee is having WHTM hallucinations!!”

Clothesminded, hi, welcome, love your nym! 🙂

saphy
saphy

I had to pretend it was a cat video instead, because cat videos are more readily accepted in the workplace than reading blogs during (boring and unproductive) work hours. Everyone understands watching cat videos at work.

kittehserf MOD

Sounds like my last job, though I did a lot of entertaining-the-masses* by reading trolls’ more bizarre rants from here.

* if “two people” counts as the masses**

** and if “making people go wut in complete bafflement” counts as entertainment

Clothesminded
Clothesminded
Reply to  kittehserf MOD

Hey 🙂 and thanks I just thought about it randomly

strivingally

Leela:

Seriously? People hold up signs for money? So an MRA type can spend $20 and instantly you’ve got 4 “Women Against Feminism”?

Maybe that’s where the “security money” for the conference is going. 😉

gilshalos

I saw one of those photos with a woman holding a sign reading something along the lines of ‘I don’t need feminism because I am not a victim! I run a very successful company and I don’t need a man to look after me’
And I sat and looked at it, and tried reading it upside down, and finally said, “Um..so you’re a feminist then…yes ?” to it.

Monster

I’ve noticed a trend among my friends and peers for stuff like this. I mean, some people have always been like that (as in “I’m not a feminist but *feminist argument for something*) but it seems to be more trendy to make a big deal out of it.

also, Kittehs, I have always considered most of my spiders to be part of the Furrinati. My arguement for this is that they really are very fuzzywuzzy, and they like to pounce on things, and some of them have big adorable eyes. Just like kittens.

ToolBox
ToolBox

So… a lot of them need men for their self-esteem and are afraid of losing that?

Although I have seen some women posting anti-feminist stuff on FB more recently. A common one is about marriage traditions and feminist criticisms of taking the man’s name or marriage being considered the “landmark” achievement in women’s lives. I guess those pesky feminists are ruining the Disney Dream,

KathleenB
KathleenB

Oh gods, giant fucking bugs! I’m gonna sleep now. Or at least try to.

scarlettpipstrelle

The vindictiveness of the MRAs is always worth pointing out. People need to be reminded that they are rageaholics and that there is no placating them.

archaeoholmes

I realise I have nothing to base this opinion on, but I reckon these pictures are bodgy. There is something very odd about all this. MRAs do like using “female” sockpuppets.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

DF: Crap. A two-dot ellipse! I meant to type a period!

Male privilege! If you were female, you’d be way more worried about missing a period…

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

Spider, pfft. We have wetas.

And I can tell you from personal experience that there’s nothing fun about using an outdoors toilet and finding a weta on your knee when your pants are down. I looked at him; he looked at me; and neither one of us ended up happy.

Alex

Hm…spiders get to live in my apartment as long as there’s something for them to eat. If I can be bothered to take them outside, I will, but mostly I leave them. Spiders are my friends. lol

I am the opener of jars because I live alone, and I will eventually get it open myself. It may take hot water, holding it between my thighs and using both hands, slamming the top, or just giving up and stabbing holes in the lid, but I will get it open on my own. Have done for the last several years of living on my own.

My apartment, by the way, I like just fine. No need for fancy houses. No need for fancy restaurants either; the few times I’ve had an opportunity to go to such a place, the food usually wasn’t that great. I’ll take my own cooking, or the relatively cheap sushi place a couple streets over any day.

Fine, I can’t carry a TV up the stairs. But there is a lot I can carry (I also don’t have or need a TV; laptop is just fine). Also 26 years old here and not an anti-feminist bone in my body.

Sorry, Price, when I partner with a man it won’t be because I need one, but because I actually like that particular man for the person he is. This is why MRAs find starting relationships with women to be so difficult. Women don’t need them and don’t want them either. No, not even those women holding anti-feminist signs.

gilshalos

@Phoenician Wonderful! 🙂

strivingally

I’m astounded at how often I see the following sequence of events:

1) MGTOW/MRA/PUA/misc. misogynist calmly and rationally explains his perspective on why feminism is wrong about something.

2) Woman disagrees with aforementioned mister.

3) Mister escalates straight to froth-at-the-mouth rage and personal insults, claims that woman deserves all kinds of horrible things happening to her, in-depth armchair psychoanalytical bullshit about her personal failings, hateful speculation about her sexual and relationship status …

Hard to believe their “activism” is founded on any basis of compassion or desire to help anybody when a good 80% of their interactions with the wider world seem to involve incoherent venomous loathing for the existence of opinions other than their own, and that seems to be the defining trait of even the thought leaders amongst the manosphericals.

gilshalos

Uh..wonderful for the male privilege comment about missing a period

daintydougal
daintydougal

So, they believe that feminists hate men. Fine*, but why wouldn’t the feminist help the woman in this scenario?

Is the ‘mystical monster feminist’ that is disconnected from any actual woman, similar to the ‘mystical monster rapist’ that is disconnected from any man? Both seem to just appear out of nowhere and cause havoc (according to these guys).

Thanks to this site as soon as I see/hear someone saying ‘men and females’ I just start grinning. Anything that follows has a musical layer of ‘I’m a screaming misogynist’ playing cheerfully over the top.

*Obviously not fine, actually very annoying.

kittehserf MOD

@Monster, so, spiders are the Furrinati’s Ultimate Weapon!

Uh..wonderful for the male privilege comment about missing a period

I did wonder for a moment if that was about the weta-on-knee incident! XD

But seconded, the missed period comment had all the win.