Uncategorized

On The Spearhead, the regulars reject women rejecting feminism

From Women Against Feminism
From Women Against Feminism

Are women turning against feminism? Over on The Spearhead, WF Price sets forth the proposition that “the younger generation of women [is] rejecting ‘feminism’ in stronger terms than I’ve ever witnessed in my life.”

His proof for this? A Tumblr blog called Women Against Feminism, featuring a couple dozen photos of women holding signs denouncing feminism. Or what they think feminism is, anyway.

Some of these women are fairly articulate about the source of their hostility against feminism: they’re traditionalists who don’t like being judged for their choices:

feminismtruewomen

Others seem to be reacting against stereotypical notions of feminism that bear little relation to the real thing:

feminismequality
feminismcook

Still others have somewhat more, well, idiosyncratic reasons:

feminismbodyhair

For whatever reason, quite a few of the women posting these pictures are from Poland.

At least here in the US, it’s not news that a lot of women reject feminism – or at least the feminist label. There are plenty of  traditionalist women who reject the central tenets of feminism. And there are many others who may share some feminist beliefs but don’t want to call themselves feminists, in part because of the bad rap feminists get in the media and, these days, online. Anyone who’s been a feminist for any length of time has heard women (and some men) announce that “I’m not a feminist, but …” and then follow that statement with a sentiment that is, by any reasonable definition, feminist.

Now some of these “I’m not a feminist, but” types are posting pictures like this, using what is essentially a feminist analysis to criticize what they see as a central shortcoming of feminism:

feministagents
Naturally, WF Price has a somewhat different explanation for this alleged trend.

What I think is going on here is that younger women need men more than their older, feminist counterparts did in their heyday.

And why is that? Because times are hard. And so even though men today are struggling, women are struggling even more, and so – in WF Price’s imagination, anyway — they’ve come to appreciate what men can do for them.

The less men have – and the less men there are in general – the more women need them. Without men or without men of means, there can be no surplus, no you-go-grrrrl feminism, no fancy restaurants and no nice houses. Everything just goes to crap.

Heck, Price argues, even men without jobs make better roommates for women than other women, because, you know, they can open jars and stuff:

[W]hat use could a man possibly be if he has no money to speak of? Only someone who has never lived with a woman could find that one hard to answer. A healthy young man with no money can drive, carry things, fix things, protect his mate, solve problems, save money, do chores — the list goes on. And when he gets a job, he will pay his way and do all these things, even if he makes less than his girlfriend. It’s a much, much better deal for a woman than a female roommate.

According to Price, feminism had whatever successes it did have in the past because the economy was booming.

What created this “independent woman” myth was the great prosperity of the baby boomer era, which lasted from roughly the mid 60s to the mid 2000s. Men abounded, and they were flush with cash. Businesses could afford to hire superfluous cute girls and give them nice salaries. Family courts could rob men blind and they’d still have enough left over for a reasonable lifestyle and a chance to start over. Men were harvesting the fat of the land, and there was more than enough to go around.

Huh. I lived through that baby boomer era, and I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t one giant materialistic orgy. There were, I vaguely recall, more than a couple of pretty severe recessions. And back in the heyday of second wave feminism in the seventies there was something called “stagflation.”

But let’s not get in the way of WF Price’s little fairy tale. In the baby boomer era, everyone prospered. Now, everyone is poor. Or at least the young people are:

When you’re poor, life is a lot easier if you can share with someone, and nobody shares more with girls than boys. So merely finding a man to share burdens is a considerable relief to young women. Is a feminist going to fix a car, carry a TV upstairs or take her to the hospital to give birth? Will the feminist voluntarily share any of what she earns with the young woman? Yeah, right…

Apparently in Price’s world “the feminist” is essentially a female version of Scrooge McDuck.

Male scarcity in either numbers or resources effectively prevents feminism. Surplus enables it. In a sense, one could say that feminism’s own downfall is built in to the ideology itself, because it contributes to male scarcity.

Wars between the sexes accomplish nothing in the long run, but they do highlight the complementary, interdependent nature of the sexes: when one sex “beats” the other, both lose. Today’s young women seem to understand that a lot better than their foolish mothers ever did.

In the comments, the Spearhead regulars are less forgiving of “foolish” women than Price is. Regular commenter Geographybeefinalisthimself suggests that antifeminist men should be something less than gracious in their (alleged) victory:

Even if women are in fact rejecting feminism (and I treat this with a lot of suspicion), I don’t see why men should not be vindictive since feminists were pretty damn vindictive to men (myself included, though I am well aware that I am not the only one) when male power was a myth.

Since young men got paid back for discrimination that wasn’t their fault, I don’t see why they shouldn’t turn around and do likewise to a subsequent generation of females. If feminism can come to an end now (and I am not convinced that it is dead yet), it also could have come to an end twenty years ago. I always take the attitude that if something can happen now, it could have happened many years ago as well.

Someone calling himself Lastango, meanwhile, indulges himself in some hypothetical Atlas Shrugging:

[T]he tide is going out and it’s increasingly obvious feminism has been swimming naked, keeping its head above water only because it could float on government money. Unfortunately for feminists, this is happening at the very moment men are increasingly aware of having been demonized and exploited during the past 40 years, and Atlas is starting to shrug… he’ll be staying dry, on the beach, instead of swimming out to rescue a drowning political tribe of privileged, entitled women who have been using him for their own gain.

The misogynists of the manosphere are never quite so happy as when they contemplate women being punished.

The women posting pictures to the Women Against Feminism blog might be surprised by how ungentlemanly these fellows really are.

NOTE: I cropped the pics from Women Against Feminism to save space and highlight the signs.

damselindetech

Note to self:

– Tonight, create own “I don’t need feminism because” signs. Topics to cover, “Because who’s going to open this jar of pickles?” “If I wanted my own opinion, I’d wash the dishes,” “I am the 99%” and “Women were never victimized before feminism was invented because sciencefacts.”

Bina
Bina

What you think is going on here doesn’t matter, Mr. Price. You can kid yourself that you are “needed”, but nobody missed you when you went byebye. Doesn’t that tell you anything?

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

So… if the tide is going out, is feminism going to drown,or be stranded naked on dry land? Because i thought it was the tide coming in that tended to drown people. If feminism has been doing fine so far, why is low tide going to kill it?

I’m confused.

Also, I’m 23 and a feminist. Suck it, MRAs.

sparky
sparky

So, this would make, what? The umpteenth-thousandth time someone has declared feminism “dead” and “over?”

Wow, dat mixed metaphor :/

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Women who live together never share anything? What are friends? What are lesbians? I know not of these things.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Why is the naked part important? Is this some sort of Jaws metaphor where the giant shark of regressive masculinity is going to take a bite out of our hapless feminist swimmer?

dustedeste

I mean, when I lived with two other women in college, I was definitely the Opener of Jars. Actually, now that I live with my husband, I’m still the Opener of Jars. Guess I don’t qualify as a feeeeeemale then. The High Council should probably rescind my woman card.

Kim
Kim

I admit that I get my bf to open jars for me. And every time I ask him to open one, I think – I should really get a thingy that makes it easy to open jars. It’s almost like you can replace brute strength with tools.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

W.F. Price is right. Men are very useful, especially broke ones like college kids. Every boyfriend I have ever had passed a battery of utility tests before I allowed him into the warmth of my intimate regard. I lived on the third floor of my dorm senior year, and I set three suitors to doing windsprints up and down the flights of stairs, loaded with bags full of my makeup and salon-quality hair products. I had to make sure that they were ready for moving day, y’see. The two who passed the final heat were then sent into the parking lot, where they had to pass a fiendish driving obstacle course of my own design (what if I’m late for an appointment? I mean, I couldn’t possibly drive myself?!). The winner of the road rally then had to finish an advanced sudoku puzzle book, correctly fill in the Saturday New York Times crossword in ink, and craft a proposal to balance the federal budget (it was the GW Bush administration, too – that was a toughie for the poor guy). His final task was to fend off bandits with his bare hands, his wits and a clever selection of everyday items that he could fashion into tools, a la McGuyver. Only after he had proved his value as a young, healthy man of limited means did he receive the ultimate prize: a ham sandwich, crafted by my own fair hand, and a seat next to me on the industrial dorm couch to watch “Total Request Live.”

weirwoodtreehugger

Since when were the 60’s through the mid 00’s the boom times. What Robert Reich calls the “great prosperity” was between the mid 40’s and the mid 70’s. Ever since than things have been shaky.

Perhaps you could make the case that movements can thrive more in economic boom times. However, Price is dead wrong that feminism thrived because women were living off men. The 60’s through mid 2000’s actually saw a lot more women becoming financially independent of men. Thanks to feminism!

Tough economic times do see membership in reactionary movements rising. Maybe that is why it seems like misogyny has gotten more virulent the last few years. It would make sense. Racist hate groups have become more popular in the US and fascism and neo Nazism has become more popular all over Europe. So it’s no surprise that the backlash against feminism is getting worse. But again, that’s not because feminists are all about getting dat money from men. It’s because scapegoating is an easier response to financial crisis than trying to change a corrupt system.

weirwoodtreehugger

I hope my last post wasn’t too word salad.

Bina
Bina

What is this, the Trickle-Down Economics of Sex? What exactly is this clown trying to say? Because whatever he’s saying, it’s clearly bass-ackwards to reality. Feminism is about NOT depending on men for every last fucking thing. It is, among other things, about equal pay for equal work, so that we don’t have to marry our fortunes like our mothers and grandmothers did in the 1950s. We can make them ourselves, or should be able to, in a just society. Feminism is about bringing on the just society, not female supremacy.

This argument, like those on the sad little signs from that sad little Tumblr, is just so full of shit.

Oh look! There’s that bogus Man Shortage thing again. I’ve been hearing that one rather constantly since, oh, about 1987. And yet, all these guys seem to keep getting born in equal numbers to us…

Next thing you know, one of these clods will tell me I stand a greater chance of being kidnapped by terrorists than married, especially since I’m over 40.

I need feminism because I keep hearing the same damn bullshit over and over again, and I am so sick of it.

grumpycatisagirl

1. I have a sudden urge to carry my television upstairs. Just because.
2. What it that white and red rectangle thing on the sign in the first photo? Is that supposed to be an equal sign or something?

me and not you
me and not you

If it’s a sealed twist lid, you can pop it with a spoon to break the seal and then it’ll open right up. Science, bitches. Also, when I was in my 80% feeeemale house, I was the fixer of the toilet… though at some point I declared a couple people were not allowed near tools, since whenever they attempted to fix something, I frequently had to come in afterward and repair the damage. :/

Andrea Jones

Preeeety sure feminists are actually decent at opening jars, carrying TVs, doing basic auto maintenance, and driving people to hospitals. Because, you know, we’re pretty much all about not waiting around for A Dude to show up and make life navigable for us. I’m a little surprised he didn’t include dealing with spiders in the bathtub.

Not to mention that he sort of seems to be characterizing women-only households as 1950s schlock-novel gynocracies, in which feminists are all masculine lesbians doing a bad job of being men, and Real Women await their male liberators in desperation.

Then again, that does seem to be the MRA Way: desperate bids for cultural relevance and women’s gratitude.

weirwoodtreehugger

Crap. A two-dot ellipse!

David, I think you need an in person check in visit with a member of the Feminist High Council. A two dot ellipse is an early sign of becoming an MRA. I’ll send a memo to one of the Supreme Leaders of the Council.

I’m sorry to tell you this, but if we determine that you are at risk for joining the MRM we will have to send you to the Feminist Reeducation Camp underneath the Yankee Candle corporate headquarters. Don’t worry. We will assign someone to cat sit while you’re away.

dustedeste

@Kim: You don’t even need one of those things! Just put a thick rubber band (like the kind that comes around a bundle of asparagus) around the lid, and hey-presto!, increased friction, therefore increased ease of jar opening!

weirwoodtreehugger

A handy tip for opening a stubborn jar: Put on a leather glove. You’ll friction so your grip will be tight but unlike using a dish towel to cover your hand, you’ll still have full use of your fingers. I’ve lived alone for years and have yet to meet a jar I can’t conquer thanks to leather gloves.

Bina
Bina

Oh! And in China and India, the number of men actually outstrips that of women by a large margin. That’s because rampant sexism there has ensured that fewer girls get born and live to adulthood. So there are millions of men in both countries who are, ironically, doomed never to be married, because sexism has robbed them of potential brides. THEY need feminism in the worst way!

But I don’t suppose we’ll hear Mr. Price prating about that anytime soon…

latintruth

Yes, I get my husband to open jars too but only after I give it a go myself. Then when he opens the jar I tell him he could only open it because I loosened it up for him. Oh my evil feminist mind, Grandma would be proud!

Skye
Skye

WWTH, your post was not word salad. In fact, the last paragraph was dead on.

As to the women who think they don’t need feminism because they like to cook/clean/look sexy, I don’t see any conflict between that and feminism. If that’s your thing, cool. I just don’t believe a particular role should be forced on anyone.

The other antifeminist signs just kind of left me with a “you have no idea what you’re talking about here” feeling.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

@grumpycatisagirl – I think that’s supposed to be the Polish flag?

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

“I don’t need feminism because the Men’s Rights Activists offer real help to people in need. I am sure I can think of at least one example, just give me a moment.”

Greebo
Greebo

Urgh, that person in the top photo was wearing the Targaryen insignia. I think Khaleesi would find her quite silly. Also, what *is* that weird little flag thingy on their piece of paper?
Hi mammotheers!

Skye
Skye

Opium4themasses, snort 🙂

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

I put on mascara this morning, scrubbed some mysterious sticky spots from the kitchen floor (insider sources say there was an ice cream incident in the vicinity), changed sheets on my kids’ beds, and made tostadas for dinner. I did not know these actions were incompatible with feminism. I just thought that doing them was part of being a parent, spouse, homeowner, and person who likes fluffy eyelashes. I will never get off the High Council’s shit list at this rate.

weirwoodtreehugger

She’s probably a Viserys fan.

tiko72
tiko72

There are two mra reactions to this.Despite Price listing all the skills that apparently only young fit men can do,there will be plenty of mra’s complaining about the awful burden that puts on them.
A lot of pregnant women get a craving for pickles,which means triple misandry to mra’s. After been spermjacked and before being robbed and left for an alpha they have to go through the nightmare of opening a jar.Oh won’t someone think of the poor souls.
However Price doesn’t see this as a cruel burden but as a super power that only men have (apparently only fit young men) and one day soon all the women of the world will be running to men,jars in hand,begging for help and they will turn away leaving us to open them on our own or buy a jar opener.
I think I’ve just looked into the future and seen hell.

strivingally

So women are incapable of carrying things, solving problems, driving cars, fixing things and doing chores?

Man, all the nurses I work with are going to be pissed when they find out their jobs don’t exist.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

I don’t need feminism because my sex life is NOT a political agenda.

Can I move to where you live? Because in my country, one of the two major parties keeps insisting on having a political agenda about my sex life. Also my medical decisions, whether or not I have a right not to be raped with impunity, and whether my employers should be allowed to pay me less than a man.

Sir Bodsworth Ruggleby III
Sir Bodsworth Ruggleby III

Economic hardship interferes with a woman’s ability to open jars. It is known.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

(That’s one of the women against feminism, not a MRA, of course.)

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

The whole feminism being against homemaking smacks so much of the mommy wars, where privileged folk acted as if it was a new thing for women to work outside of the household. Some of them were feminists, but a lot were just rich people looking down on other rich people. Funny how much they scream when they are the ones getting picked on.

dustedeste

Also I was pretty sure that “doing chores” was a thing that women were supposed to do, according to MRAs, and that men having to do chores was the most misandrous of misandry because cleaning is too feminine for their manlinesses and also men are too busy breadwinning at their manscience jobs 30 hours a day (to support those hypergamous wimminz and their bonbon habits!) to do simple domestic tasks (which are so beneath them anyways because augh how womanly)? Why do you have to be so divisive, Mr. Price? Are you trying to cause a schism in the grand MRA movement with your spouting of heresies?

(I am having cider slushies this evening, excuse me – and do tell me to shut up – if I’m not making sense. I mean, it took me like an entire minute and the use of spellcheck to figure out how to spell “beneath,” so.)

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

Also, for more hilarity, check out this creepy PM:

The messages:

Where I found it:

Shorter version: women who have sex outside of marriage and gay people are horrible sinners! But God is okay with me having sex with nonvirgins because I help out at church. Also, why won’t you have sex with me? The fact that, as a bisexual nonvirgin, I think you are a whore and a sinner shouldn’t mean I don’t get to get my dick wet.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

I assumed Mr. Price was talking about stereotypical manly chores, like chopping wood or mowing grass. The stuff that women can’t do because we explode upon contact with a weed whacker.

dustedeste

Ooohhhhh, all those “manly” chores that are “outside” the domicile and so don’t exist if you live in an apartment. Except taking out the trash, I guess. So basically what I’m hearing is, get an apartment, ladies, and men are still useless chumps, provided you’re capable of carrying a bag of garbage. Are women capable of carrying bags of garbage? Inquiring minds wish to know.

Also I’d ask if people even still chopped wood anymore but my mother-in-law heats her place mainly with a wood stove so I guess I know the answer to that. I wonder who chops her wood. I should ask sometime.

cloudiah

I admit that I have entertained the thought of moving in with my best friend, who is a man. He is extremely tidy, and I am a good cook, and I am somewhat untidy, and he is a terrible cook.

But I insist on opening all of the jars. Because I am not a Polish anti-feminist.

Obligatory 2-dot MRA ellipsis: ..

weirwoodtreehugger

You can just buy firewood at gas stations or even have it delivered.

Lea
Lea

It’s sad to see so many women misled about what feminism is. I’ve certainly been told I’m not feminist enough because I chose to homemaker route a few times. A woman once (recently) looked me over and informed me, gesturing to my face and hair (which I was quite excited to have had time to play with that evening), “You don’t NEED all this” is the most contemptuous tone. As if I needed her to tell me that. I don’t NEED high thread count sheets, pets, clever friends, oral sex or scented soap either, but I enjoy having them in my life. Luckily, I know I’m feminist as fuck and I’m not about to be told what to do or be by anyone. I had friends shamed for their choices by other women. They believed other people when they defined them to them. They received the message that they weren’t feminists and they believe it today. They’re women who carried boot knives to school as teens, supported households, were no strangers to dirty, hard work and long hours, had abortions or didn’t and got to be told what doormats and welfare queens they were for raising unplanned kids. They survived rapes, beat back attempted rapists with their fists or just got lucky and got away, overcame abuse etc, but they got told they were doormats for baking and shaving their legs or some shit. (Yes, that happens) by women who saw themselves as ‘proper feminists” and it stuck. I certainly went through my chill girl who was “one of the guys” phase. I get where the disconnect happens and I feel like there but for the grace of Glob go I. It’s sad. It really is. Still, I can’t help but laugh and think, “Have at the misogynist dudes, ladies. They’re all yours”. Hopefully, most of them will grow out of it. They won’t let people tell them how to be women or how to be proud, strong women who stand up for their rights forever.

Yes, you can be a feminist and like traditional feminine things. You can take pride in cooking, primping, nurturing etc. Women, men and neutral/other gendered people can be proud of those and any other skills that are important to them. Skills are skills and being associated with women does not make them less valuable or enjoyable. Being good at traditionally “girly” things does not mean you can’t be good at other things. A friend of mine is brilliant under the hood of a car. She’s a beautician by trade. I can think of two doctors I know who are also doting moms. One is also an artist. I know a tech specialist who is also a sailor and a dad. I know teachers who are also parents and farmers. I know a Realtor who is also an equestrian and talented at working with special needs kids. I know a nurse who became a carpenter when she grew tired of nursing. She’s also a biker. I know a scientist who became a construction worker and then a successful artist. I know an accountant who is a talented gamer who dabbles in stand up and improv. No one has to be good at just one thing or only things that are traditionally associated with a particular gender. I feel sorry for people who feel bound and caged by such arbitrary rules of who they can be or what they can do. A man who wants to have a rose garden and raise babies is not being a man wrong. A woman who would rather raise cobras than children and would rather tinker with her truck than pick shoes to go with her bag isn’t being a woman wrong either. That doesn’t mean that everyone else has to like what they like. What is allowed is not mandatory. Why can’t people grasp that? It’s simple enough. Deconstructing gender roles can be done without shitting on what we think of as femininity. Rather, it opens options up for everyone to explore their own interests and develop the skills and interests they prefer regardless of gender. That should not be threatening to anyone. It should be liberating.

cloudiah

@ Andrea Jones:

’m a little surprised he didn’t include dealing with spiders in the bathtub.

Manly men know exactly how to deal with spiders in the bathtub.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Nope, Price foiled us again! We still need a dude to make decisions, save money, drive us places, and carry the TV upstairs.

girlsmarts
girlsmarts

For all the people who have trouble opening jars, the thing that works every fucking time for me is to just bang it lightly against a hard surface- usually I do the side of the counter. Just kind of firmly tap it, once, maybe twice, and it opens super easily. And this is coming from someone who doesn’t have the upper body strength to do a single pushup… so if it works for me it will work for anyone.

cloudiah

:: waves at the new commenters ::

Have a complimentary welcome package!

dustedeste

Yeah, I’ve never really gotten why some people feel the need to shit on women for their choices. But I also dislike it when women claim that being a homemaker is by its nature a feminist undertaking. Don’t get me wrong, I by no means think it’s contrary to feminism to be a homemaker (hell, I’d love if I could afford to be!), but I find it awkward to claim that anything, simply by virtue of its being a choice made by a woman, is feminist. Yes, feminism supports women’s (and men’s, really!) ability to choose how to live and structure their lives, but that doesn’t make the choices they make innately feminist. I’d argue the same for women who work, though: the choice to work isn’t innately feminist either. It’s simply an option that feminism has enabled.

Bluh, basically people need to stop shitting on other people’s choices that affect them literally not at all, and also to stop assuming that their chosen choices are the One True Way of their preferred ideology.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Um, that creepy pm guy. Soldiers returning from war kill themselves because of the gay? The fact that gay people exist causes PTSD now?

1 2 3 8