a voice for men a woman is always to blame antifeminism bad boys beta males crackpottery evil single moms grandiosity mansplaining men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA Stefan Molyneux

MRA "philosopher" Stefan Molyneux: "If you don't have a husband … to keep the child is abusive."

Misogyny Theater takes another look at the charming philosopher-king-asshole Stefan Molyneux, who seems to be carving out quite a spot for himself in the world of the lady-haters.

In this episode, some audio excerpts from Stefan Molyneux’s frighteningly well-received talk ostensibly on circumcision at A Voice for Men’s June 2014 conference, as presented in his video “Shocking Misogynist Attacks Feminism, Defends Rape Culture.” Despite the ironic title, this is pretty much an accurate description of his talk, even a bit of an understatement.

The title of my video is a shortened version of something he says in his talk (and in my video). The full quote: “If you don’t have a husband, if you chose the wrong guy, to keep the child is abusive, almost always.”

That’s right: according to Stefan M., being a single mother is, in itself, abusive.

The audio excerpts are drawn from an hour-long talk, so naturally I did some editing. In the interests of transparency, I marked each edit with a little snipping sound.

If you just can’t get enough of this guy, see my previous Molyneux video for more exciting women-blaming.

Scissors sounds and weird background noises courtesy of FreeSFX.

Argenti Aertheri

Hm, maybe it’s fairly common among species that actually require much parental care? I can’t think of fish doing it, but very few stick around the parents for long in the first place, other than schooling fish. Reptiles and amphibians I’m failing to recall any that aren’t really born ready to survive solo — some will certainly stay together for a period, but it seems to be like when fish do it — warmth, safety in numbers when small, things like that. (*awaits an example of a reptile rearing its young*)

I need to learn more about birds apparently!

In any case, I guess aliens could well figure out the adoption thing from observing general earth biology. Again though, they’d still grasp the idea that the birthing parent does most of the rearing before that concept, or nearly simultaneously. Otoh, infanticide? Condemned by humans, not uncommon among other species, including some of our closest relatives. War? Virtually unknown outside our species. How would aliens define violence even just from observing earth? Ignoring that any species capable of space travel would likely have their own similar concept, or no concept of violence at all — either way their culture would make learning ours (and which is “ours” here?) far more difficult than simply observing earth biology (to combine a few concepts, simply observing humans would make rape seem more a standard thing than wealth — only one of those is considered violence, and it’s not the rarer one)

kittehserf MOD

Argenti, spot on. I don’t swim, but if I did, I wouldn’t be worried about sharks – and ferfuckssake, if we get read as prey, well that’s the risk we take going into their environment. Far fewer sharks kill humans than vice versa …

You’re right about Jaws. Even the author regretted writing what he did, given the reaction after the film.

Oh geez, not that mind-blowingly bizarre Yudwhatist bloke with his singularity blather! Now that was a weird thread.

The Chartreuse Vegan Capsule
The Chartreuse Vegan Capsule

Unbelievable. Molyneux is saying that anyone, including your parents, who in anyway thinks some part of “stateism” is beneficial, such as social security, actually wants you imprisoned and butt raped. Because if you are against the state they want you to be for it and that means they want guns put to your peace-loving head so that you are forced to pay into it and contribute to their social security or go to jail and get butt raped (if you are a man especially). He says if they are ignorant of the nature of the state then they cannot be held responsible but as soon as you inform them, there is a fork in the road and they have to make a moral decision to support peace or support violence (and hence imprisonment and rape). From there you make a decision to continue to associate with them or cut them off completely. Now he’s saying you do not *have* to have this conversation with anyone around you at all. But then be honest that you are not willing to have conversations about virtue and hence you are a poseur and not a real libertarian. He’s comparing this to claiming to be anti-racist while hanging out at KKK bbq’s, not wanting his anti-racism to ruin his friendships with racists. “If you study libertarianism but don’t let it dictate your relationships, you are an agent of the State”.

You should read the pained comments under the video. I will post some here. He’s confusing and hurting people and leaving them with nowhere to turn. Is he going to take them into his home to live so they can have at least one relationship in this world?

Keegan Idler
1 day ago

Don’t understate the situation and say that ‘your barrier to action is having a conversation about virtue’. You claim you are big on truth, so say it truthfully. Say, “You aren’t a libertarian; you are a poser because you are unwilling to leave all of your friends and family simply because they disagree with you about the feasibility of a theoretical way to organize society that would be more virtuous.” And sure, I’ll be honest. If it requires living a lonely life, heaping moral condemnation on every person I am likely to ever meet, I’m out.
Hide replies
MotesYT
1 day ago

???? ???? ????
DFPercush
1 day ago (edited)

Honesty would demand that you talk with the person about it and give them a chance to process the information before you condemn the relationship.
I don’t think it’s even something you have to initiate, their statist ideas will slip out at some point.
ForOrAgainstUs
1 day ago

+DFPercush It’s actually much more difficult than just cutting everyone out of your life. Agreed, you need to talk to each of these people. It’s having an open and honest discussion about your feelings, why you believe what you believe, why you would be cutting them out of your life, and giving them a chance to redeem themselves and possibly, ultimately, reject you.
FalseRulers
17 hours ago

“…. disagree with you about the feasibility of a theoretical way to organize society that would be more virtuous…..””

Nice straw man. It is not about disagreement.It is about people who advocate putting a gun in the face of those who disagree with them.

“And sure, I’ll be honest. If it requires living a lonely life, heaping moral condemnation on every person I am likely to ever meet, I’m out.”

Just an idea, maybe being with people who think you should be imprisoned or killed for disagreeing with them isn’t the answer to loneliness.
Keegan Idler
13 hours ago

+Jack Reaper Well, no one thinks that the government can do no wrong, but that’s beside the point. Do you really refuse to have anyone in your life that believes in the supernatural as well as the government? You automatically are cutting out nearly everyone alive, and are literally limiting it to fractions of a percent. If I used this type of selectivity, I could be friends with maybe two people I have met. And that’s only because they were the ones that convinced me of anarchy (and it took them years), so they couldn’t hang out with me, if they followed this logic.

I doubt I will by chance ever meet another person who is an anarcho-capitalist, so I can never have friends from work, or people that I randomly meet. I literally have to spend all my time seeking out people solely on the basis that they agree with me and then hoping that we like each other, and still refusing to be friends with any of their friends (who are probably not anarchists). Even if it doesn’t sound to you as boring or creepy to only seek out people based on whether they agree with you philosophically, the difficulty is quite daunting.

This isn’t even to mention the impossibility of finding a girl atheist/voluntaryist (of which there are probably less than a thousand in the world), hoping we are completely compatible as couple, and that neither of us have any other beliefs that would block us from working out. I then probably have to refuse to be friends with anyone that she is friends with, disown her family, and hope this doesn’t drive us apart and that we still have something to talk about aside from how much we hate every single person we interact with because they think we should be forced to pay taxes…

This life sounds terrible. And if I have to choose between living an unbearable life, or bearing to live with quite friendly and good and interesting people that simply think that a monopoly on violence is more peaceful than a free market of violence; it’s not a hard choice.

I hate morally superior martyrs and that’s who I would have to be. Someone who looks around at everything they see with disgust because everyone is either a statist or hangs out with statists–and as he states neither of those are true anarchists. And since no one can help but leave or pretend to agree with someone who acts like this, saying like a spoiled child, “I’m right! Either agree or go away!”, you are either alone or surrounded by toadies that croak back everything you’ve told them to say. I would hate myself for this.

Stefan can do it because he loves being the best person around and throwing moral condemnation on everyone, and he loves being praised for this moral condemnation. So he, like Ayn Rand before him, can say ‘either agree with me on everything or get out of my life’, and think himself virtuous for it (though how that isn’t cultish thinking is beyond me). I can’t.
produceman13
5 hours ago

+Keegan Idler This is exactly what has happened to me…. I brought up anarchocapitalism at work along with some mens rights issues and was fired promptly [after 13 years of dedicated service]. I lost all my family and most of my friends because I called them out on abuse. It may be a good thing to figure out who is abusive in your life. But like you say… if no one is left; than what good is it. I can’t survive alone in the world. FDR forums are not a substitute for real people. I really doubt its possible even in the FDR forums to find people who believe exactly everything the same either. Steph does a ton of good with the call in show. But too many of use are left totally isolated and completely fucked… Where are we suppose to turn?

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

Between the aliens and the animals, I’m having so much fun reading the comments right now. I love how you guys can take the gross misogynistic things people say and use them to springboard into awesome conversations about biology and science fiction. I just want to say that you guys are awesome. 🙂

Lea
Lea

Wait, my husband doesn’t have a husband.

Is that abusive? 😉

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I really can’t imagine Stevie managing childcare very effectively. Perhaps he thinks that the children would draw sustenance from the warm glow of his masculinity, like a very peculiar form of photosynthesis.

kittehserf MOD

@The Chartreuse Vegan Capsule, would you please learn to use blockquotes here? It isn’t difficult and it makes following comments, especially very long ones, much easier. (Dunno if this counts as a moderator request, but hey, I’ve got to start this drunk-with-power thing somewhere.)

Type [blockquote] text [/blockquote] but use angle brackets instead of square ones.

If you use Firefox, you can get the Text Formatting Toolbar add-on, so you won’t have to type the html code.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I’m also not too keen on “lol buttsex” as a way to describe rape, if we’re in a making suggestions frame of mind.

kittehserf MOD

::waves:: Hi, chronic lurker!

That’s what I love too – how off topic is on topic here (except for trolls, yah boo sucks to them).

kittehserf MOD

cassandra, seconded with the mailed fist of mod-dom. (That wasn’t meant to be a pun but when I’d written it, I thought, too good go waste!)

Lea
Lea

Speaking of the awesome things said here, I don’t remember who suggested peaches on the grill, but we made pineapple, apricot and pineapple kebabs tonight and the were great. Thanks!

Yum!

“It’s nine o’clock. Do you know where your larvae are?”

“It’s all right, dear, they’re pupating.”

*sniff* our little grubs are all grown up!

Lea
Lea

One of those pineapples was supposed to be “peach”.
Silly me.

kittehserf MOD

*sniff* our little grubs are all grown up!

::snortlaughchoke::

One of those pineapples was supposed to be “peach”.

I thought they were just extra pineappley.

NEWS!

Tom Martin didn’t know the half of it!

(It’s Oglaf, but SFW apart from a bit of swearing.)

Ally S

TW: explicit talk about rape

I feel really uncomfortable with you saying “butt rape” to describe anal rape. The word “butt” is used in a trivializing, often openly comical way, and so using it to specify a kind of rape is completely unacceptable. I know what I’m talking about because I’ve been on the receiving end of shitty jokes in which men talk about how they want to anally rape me while I’m asleep or passed out. It’s not fucking okay.

There are a lot of rape survivors in this community, and there’s no doubt that they find language such as yours to be triggering. I personally have never been raped, but I have been sexually abused in other ways and so to some degree I am also distressed by hearing people refer to a horrific, humiliating and violent experience in such trivializing terms. Please listen to us and watch your language next time you mention anything about sexual violence.

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

“Fuck you got mine” isnt a world view held by good people.

The Chartreuse Vegan Capsule
The Chartreuse Vegan Capsule

“Its odd how libertarians love to drone on and on about ethics, morals and virtue when those qualities as most of us understand them are completely absent in them.”

I listened to the entire thing and am still trying to figure out how cutting off ties with the woman who carried you in her body, birthed you, fed you, raised you and completely sacrificed her own life for yours (and indeed risked her life so you could exist in the first place) and loves you probably more than her own self, just because she doesn’t agree with your theoretical model of socio-economics, is a somehow a “virtue” or “moral” in even the broadest sense of the term.

Where is the gratitude and just plain old love in this man? He claims in the same video that he is a kind, big hearted person. Shall we had “modest” to that as well? He doesn’t come across as happy, and neither did Ayn Rand in any of her appearances. I could be wrong but the body language, demeanor and vibes doesn’t scream JOYFUL!

On top of it all someone mentioned in the comments that Libertarians will die out in one generation because their reproductions rates are even lower than the lowest mainstream birth rate demographic in this country. So encouraging Libertarians to cut ties from all but a few other Libertarians (who don’t even live in their same state) is advising collective suicide in a sense.

Its not like by shunning people who don’t share their ideas that they have another pool to swim in. Seems like a philosophy for loners who fancy themselves “rugged individualists”. They seem high school rebel witihout a cause-esque, but Moly is clearly pushing 50 if not already past it. He’s got a wife and kid so he’s set (though his pretending to be a young, attractive female on youtube might be a tell tale sign that all is not green in Iceland). But its cruel to encourage these younger men and women who are single to basically resign themselves to a life of singlehood for “the cause”.

Its quite cultish.

Maybe because defooed his parents and is having issues in his marriage he wants his listeners to feel shitty too?

And he does some sort of “counseling” on his call in show but he’s not a mental health professional. What they heck?

kittehserf MOD

Love is the only really abhorrent four-letter word to MRAs, methinks.

brooked
brooked

As many posters have pointed out, Molyneux doesn’t explain, much less substantiate, his claim that violence “comes from early childhood”. Not even a little. I guess his fans may satisfied with him saying the “science exists”, but I’m going to have to demand he actually makes at least an attempt to show some knowledge about early childhood development before he tries to blame the female hand that rocks the cradle for all the “violence” in the world.

There is a famous study of post-Ceausescu Romanian orphanages which showed how severe deprivation in the first two years of a child’s life will lead to pronounced and often irreversible neurological impairments. That damage is however shown to be caused by major neglect, poor diet and lack of medical care, rather than by single mothers and their poor romantic decision making.

I highly recommend this great New Republic article about the Bucharest Early Intervention Project.

Under Ceausescu, there was an extreme push to increase population that included banning all contraception and charging a “celibacy tax” on families with fewer than five children. After the fall of communism, the massive birth rates and poverty led to tens of thousands of children being warehoused in poorly funded orphanages. The children were severely neglected and infants were left in cribs, ignored and untouched except during feedings. The New Republic article memorably starts with the stunning observation of how eerily quiet the rooms full of infants and toddlers were in these Romanian orphanages. The room were silent because if a baby is completely ignored when it cries day after day, the infant will finally give up and become withdrawn.

When these children were placed with foster families in Britain, psychologists were given an unprecedented, albeit tragic, opportunity to study the effects of severe depravation on infants and how much of the damage could be undone after the children were rescued. This study, and others, are used to examine the inadequate care of poorly funded orphanages, the benefits of having good available childcare, and the need to combat the neglect and depravation brought on by poverty. You know, things that are a wee bit more helpful than bitching about single mothers.

Kootiepatra
Kootiepatra

[incoming rant alert]

There was a couple (I’ll fake-name them Rick and Naomi) in my community who adopted a number of kids from of high-risk situations–more than one of these kids have severe medical difficulties, some of which stem from abusive or neglectful birth parents.

It was astonishing to see the turnaround in their children under the care of this couple, particularly of their son who had been diagnosed with failure to thrive. He actually became responsive to stimulus, began pulling himself up in his crib, and *physically growing*.

Several years ago, Rick was on a business trip, riding as a passenger in a vehicle which lost control on a patch of black ice. It crashed into the ditch. Rick died the next day.

I dare Molyneux–I DARE him–to seriously argue that these kids would be better off getting sent back into the system. I dare him to ask these children if they would have liked to be stripped away from their grieving mother who was simultaneously comforting them through the grief they all shared. I dare him to argue that their story should look like, “Things were really wonderful with Rick and Naomi–until Rick died, and Naomi dropped us like hot potatoes.”

The family has stayed together and are healing together, and Naomi has even adopted another daughter since Rick’s death. They love each other, they support each other. The three oldest daughters have gotten married to really kind men, and the first grandbaby has been born.

There are kids in the world who are actually getting abused, Molyneux. But these kids are not them. How dare you wield your resentment of women against them, and against Naomi, who has been nothing short of a hero to her kids. Seriously.

[end rant]

freshlysqueezedcynic
freshlysqueezedcynic

It seems as if he’s just reposted a comment further down in the video, so it might not be a sock.

Also, for those of us who like stats, 81.7% of elementary school teachers were women as of 2011.

Seriously, Stefan, it’s not that hard to look up.

Policy of Madness
Policy of Madness

I believe wolves will sometimes adopt. Leastwise, I saw a documentary once in which a female wolf with half-grown pups formed a pair-bond with a male wolf, and the male helped raise the pups (completely unrelated to him) to adulthood.

I reckon he was a beta? Except for the part that the following year the pups in the pack were his own, which made him an alpha? I’m so confused.

kittehserf MOD

Policy of Madness – maybe it makes him an alfalfa!

Kootiepatra, first I was going to cheer Rick and Naomi, then I read about him being killed, then about the way their kids have grown up … that was a six-paragraph roller coaster.

Kootiepatra
Kootiepatra

Kittehserf: It’s been a roller coaster seeing them live it out.

But that’s why I have zero patience for the kind of garbage Molyneux is spewing. He has pet theories, but these are *people’s lives*. He needs to walk away from the computer for a while and develop a shred of empathy. Maybe then he will stop labeling amazing families as abusive.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Has anyone else noticed that Chartreuse Vegan Capsule doesn’t actually respond to criticism? They’re replying to things, so they’re definitely reading the threads, but any time someone objects to something they say (which has happened in multiple threads), they just ignore it. It’s pretty frustrating.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

@emilygoddess – Yup, I’ve definitely noticed that. Most of the stuff to which I’ve objected has been fairly trivial, but CVC has blanked on some legitimate complaints from others (ableist language, dismissive language about prison rape, shaming about addiction). It’s not good.

Falconer

I can’t get too snarky about Aussie wildlife. Here in North America there’s plenty as will kill you stone dead. Rattlesnakes, deer, moose, bears ….

weirwoodtreehugger

Emilygoddess,
I’ve been noticing that too. It’s a little strange and I’m starting to wonder about it.

daintydougal
daintydougal

I was going to say something about The Chartreuse Vegan Capsule, but was worried it was just me. My hackles were raised almost immediately, but then I always make snap decisions about people no matter how hard I try not to.

lucereta

I wonder what bright boy would say to someone like my mother, who was widowed and left as the single mother of 4 children. If single motherhood is inherently bad for children, it ought not to matter how or why a woman becomes a single mother. Clearly, she should have placed all four of us (including my older brother and me, who had already been through the adoption process once as infants) for adoption. Yes, that would have made perfect sense.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Re Chartreuse Vegan Capsule, the posts aren’t consistently one ideology either nor do they tend to continue themes they raised earlier. Cannot be bothered going back and quoting for substantiation.

Argenti Aertheri

“Has anyone else noticed that Chartreuse Vegan Capsule doesn’t actually respond to criticism?”

Yeah, my “something is off” was pinging last night, but I’ve gotten about 3 hours of sleep in the last 24 hours and it was with a cat next to my head trying to get pet (she did give up and settle in, but I no logic so good currently)

Chall

I wonder if he feels the same way if the father dies? So young children lose their dad and their mom, heeding this guy’s ‘wisdom’, sends them off for adoption.

Nice.

kittehserf MOD

Yeah, I’m getting the wrong vibe from The Chartreuese Vegan Capsule too. Complete lack of response to anything.

What do people think? I don’t know if this is heading into mod territory or not, but something’s amiss.

Though I tell you what, if I see another wall of text sans blockquotes after asking twice and showing how it’s done, I am gonna be SO TEMPTED to just unapprove it or make a sacrifice to the blockquote mammoth or something.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Wasn’t there another kind of iffy poster who refused to use blockquotes? The person who kept worrying about how dangerous and powerful Paul Elam is? I’m not saying they and The Chartreuse Vegan Capsule are one and the same, but it’s weird to me all the same.

piratejennie

Jared (I think, my apologies if this is incorrect) has been asked to use blockquotes more than once by many different commenters.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

That’s who I was thinking of! Thanks, piratejennie.

kittehserf MOD

::snaps fingers:: That’s right, it was jared! I didn’t read zir posts, they were eye-glazing.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

@Falconer : Re: Aussie wildlife — I understand some Aussie crocs can climb trees, and shark researchers discovered that a nine-foot Great White that they tagged got et … because the tag washed ashore (pretty sure it was a bigger shark).

Well, fuck. I’m heading over there for Christmas, and now I have to worry about man-eating crocs climbing trees to get to me?

Not that I’m likely to be climbing Aussie trees…

Argenti Aertheri

See, when I find a spider in the bathroom,mi prefer it to be “smash with TP and flush” sized. Not spread over the seat like I’m gonna have to wait while the spider does it’s business!

piratejennie

You’re most welcome, FM.

CVC has been setting off some misgivings for me, too. Especially the lack of acknowledgment about ableist language and a general disregard of the comments policy and suggestions, reminders by many people.

Jared did interact with other commenters, though, despite the wall-o-text style.

CVC seems to be commenting in a vacuum, solely focused on the OP, though zir comments are often so difficult to parse out on an initial read, due to the lack of block quotes or other demarcation, I don’t give them a second try.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

You’re right, piratejennie. jared was much more interactive and actually seemed to consider what everyone else said, positive or negative. jared, if you’re lurking, I’m sorry I lumped you in with The Chartreuse Vegan Capsule; the no-blockquotes thing threw me for a moment.

CVC will jump in on an off-topic conversation if zie has anything to add, but zie usually drops right back out again if anyone disagrees with zir. As pallygirl said a page back, CVC doesn’t really seem consistent from thread to thread. The only things that stay somewhat-solid are mean comments about people’s appearances and speculation about MRA’s personal lives.

kittehserf MOD

Well at least some of those spider pics were photoshopped! 😀 Spiders don’t actually grow toilet-seat-sized.

Best way I know to get a huntsman out of the house? A broom. They can be persuaded to get on the end and it’s not too hard to get ’em out the door then. Mind you this takes plenty of planning – there has to be a clear run to an open door arranged first!

Which parts of Oz are you visiting, Phoenicians?

Adam
Adam

All of Molyneux’s ideas seem typical of somebody with very little real life experience. His philosophy would have appealed to me a great deal when I was like 15. Of course, I’ve since learned it’s a lot more complicated than “statistics say it’s a good idea to do this; thus, everyone who doesn’t do it is a terrible person who is ruining our society”.
For the record, I was raised by a single mother and am about as violent as a ham sandwich.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

@kittehserf: Which parts of Oz are you visiting, Phoenicians?

Spending Xmas week with the wife’s rellies in Sydney. I also have a mother who lives in Brisbane and, uh, my father lived in Melb- I’m really going to have to rethink my over-the-top nationalistic antipathy for Aussies, aren’t I?

kittehserf MOD

LOL you are indeed! Though when one looks at some of our politicians that seems a pretty fair attitude.

So, you’re visiting all the spider zones … at least here in Melbourne it’s just the huntsmen you need to watch out for, not the funnelwebs, which are the really nasty ones afaik.

FWIW, I think everyone has the right to use blockquotes or not use them, as they see fit.

But I also skip over the comments of people who don’t use blockquotes.