announcements TROOOLLLL!!

Mods and Mockers

We have moderators! To better protect this blog from terrible comments by terrible people, I’ve invited several longtime Mammotheers to be mods, and they have graciously accepted. You may know them as Kittehserf and emilygoddess, but from now on they will be known as, well, the same names but with “MOD” at the end, and they will help to enforce the comment policy and keep discussions running smoothly.

Those of you who aren’t mods, feel free to contact me or any of the other mods when you see a troubling comment or a commenter who deserves the boot. You can email whichever of us is on duty at  whtmmods@hotmail.com or you can put a request for a ban (or moderation, or for an over-the-line comment to be deleted) in the comments themselves.

To make it easier for all of us mods to find these requests in the comments, please accompany your request with the words “MOD REQUEST” in all caps. Put that in the subject line of any emails you send as well.

Hopefully with more mods on board and a tougher stance on trolls we’ll be able to keep the comments a safer place for everyone. (Except asshole trolls, but they don’t count.)

I’m also bringing back Troll Challenges for some annoying commenters who might not deserve a full ban, just to see if they’re willing to follow some basic rules. Feel free to suggest Troll Challenges to me and the other mods.

EDIT: Added the new mod email address.

grumpycatisagirl

Hooray for kittehserf and emilygoddess! And for the Hard Day’s Night clip! One of the many happy-making scenes from that movie.

Luzbelitx

Congratulations to the new mods!! And also, thanks!

*cheerleaders enter*

TROLL CHALLENGES!! YAY FOR TROLL CHALLENGES!!

*cheerleaders exit*

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

Yay! Congrats to both of you. 🙂

David, will you add a blurb to the Comments Policy page? My brain is like a sieve and I’ll probably forget the subject line.

Isabelle
Isabelle

Congratulations to Kittehserf and emilygoddess!

Kootiepatra
Kootiepatra

Troll challenge idea: Having to link a picture of an actual troll with their post. Preferably the fuzz-haired plastic dolls with the gem bellies.

apeculiarpersonage
apeculiarpersonage

Troll challenge idea: All posts must contain a Monty Python quote.

Puddleglum

I’m ridiculously thrilled to ‘meet’ the mods. Congrats! (I’m also looking forward to the troll challenges wayyyy too much).

Kate
Kate

Congratulations (or commisserations) to the new Mod team!

Flipper
Flipper

Hello everybody!!! 🙂
I’ve been lurking for months now and just thought that this is a great opportunity to say hello
as well as thank you all for making me laugh every day.

marinaliteyears
marinaliteyears

Congrats New mods.

Lea
Lea

Yay for mods!

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

Thanks, everyone! I promise not to get drunk with power and rule with an iron fist. Kittehs, on the other hand…

leftwingfox

Congrats new mods!

weirwoodtreehugger

Please can Woody have a troll challenge? It might make him marginally less boring.

twincats
twincats

Troll challenge idea: All posts must contain a Monty Python quote.

Noooo! I wanna do that. Here is my all-time favorite from the Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief album (in Terry Jones’ voice):

“I’m sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not! And I’m sick and tired of being told that I am!”

I believe that this is from the “Dead Bishop” sketch which was quite a bit longer on the album than the show.

If the trolls do have to quote MPFS, the quotes should have to be obscure; nothing from the “Cheese Shop” sketch, the “Argument Clinic” sketch, or the “Pet Shop” sketch allowed!

Isabelle
Isabelle

Troll challenge: post a cute, non-sexist cupcake meme

twincats
twincats

Or the “Lumberjack” sketch either.

And congrats to emilygoddess and Kittehs. Many thanks as well!

Also, since we’re talking about crafts, I work at a craft store. Felting was a thing for a while and I got to try needle felting which, sorry to say, I found tedious and pain-making for my carpal-tunnel afflicted hands.

With the advent of Pinterest, it seems like everything is a fad now and we (being the large craft chain I work for) blow through them in less than a year’s time anymore. All of our felting tools/supplies went clearance last year…

WatermelonSugar
WatermelonSugar

Congrats to the mods! And thank you, David, for making the space more safe.

Troll challenge idea: must post cute crocheted animal pictures or nerdy knitting paterns. That’s mostly because I want some more nerdy knit ideas, so I will admit to that being selfish.

Isabelle
Isabelle

@twincats
That’s too bad that felting is going out the window. I have found one Polish company which sells through Etsy that makes really neat stuff, Filcant. But when I splurge on handcraft , I prefer buying local. One thing that I used to do when living in Newfoundland was to buy trigger mitts way bigger than necessary and “felt” them by washing them in hot water. That’s a trick an old lady taught me to make them warmer. This is what trigger mitts look like:
Most practical mitts ever invented, imo.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Welcome Flipper! 🙂

Viscaria
Viscaria

Good choices both.

weirwoodtreehugger

I think trolls should have to post a short description of the plot of a Sex and the City episode. That would be upsetting for them.

Winter Walker

Congrats to mods!

For troll challenges, can we demand nerdy cross-stitch pattens too? I’m pretty sure that cross-stitch is misanthropy too, somehow!

twincats
twincats

Ooh, Isabelle, those are awesome! I’m not quite up to the intarsia yet, so I found a plain pattern on Ravelry here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/trigger-finger-mittens

I had downloaded a couple of glove patterns since I wanted to try that with some of my huge stockpile of sock yarn, but the many fingers that have to be made is a bit daunting. This looks to be an ideal compromise!

And felting hasn’t gone the way of the dodo just because the big craft chains aren’t showing any love for it anymore; we just have to be more flexible in our sourcing 😉

I got a great tip from a guy I cashed out a couple of years ago: recycle sweaters from thrift shops. I’ve found some yummy sock weight yarn in silk/cashmere and silk/alpaca at the Goodwill. It takes some patience to find the right sweaters, but so worth it!

Winter Walker

*misandry
(I should have seen that mistake, because my spellcheck recognized it as an actual word.)

Nequam
Nequam

Well, I’m screwed then. 🙁

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

::hides gauntlet behind back::

::looks innocent::

Wot me? Little me?

Thanks everyone, and welcome Flipper!

Craft-related troll challenges. I am loving it.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

@emilygoddess: Thanks, everyone! I promise not to get drunk with power and rule with an iron fist.

Babe, you make those promises BEFORE being appointed, NOW is your time for demanding that we peons abase ourselves before your merciless whim.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

+1 for this! Trolls, please take note that anything Dr. Who-inspired is especially relevant to my current needs (why no, I did not just finish a long conversation about Weeping Angels with two wee Whovians who share my DNA, why do you ask?).

And congrats and thanks again to the new mods!

pallygirl
pallygirl

A reminder to those Manboobzers (is that the right term?) that there is a Ravelry group: Crafty SPINSTERS.

I just started a new July wip thread. 🙂

Felting, spinning, weaving, etc comments also welcome. I love seeing what other people are doing craft-wise.

Isabelle
Isabelle

Troll challenge idea: must post cute crocheted animal pictures or nerdy knitting patterns.
^that

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

I lol’d.

Personally, I’d like to make them say something nice about a female commenter here, even if it’s completely fake (“your hair looks great today, CassandraSays!”).

I’ve been trying to think of a good one for Woody, like making him say something critical of Paul every time he fawns over him, or link to one of David’s posts on Elam (a different one each time).

Oh, I’ll get to that part *rubs hands together menacingly*

Myoo
Myoo

I, for one, welcome our new mod overlords. 😛

Congrats, emilygoddess and kittehserf.

NiOg
NiOg

Troll challenges:
Must post a joke from an Eddie Izzard sketch
Must post one of their family recipes (that they actually like to cook)
Must recite a stanza of (insert poet of Moderator’s choice here)
Must link to a relevant Kate Beaton cartoon

cassandrakitty

Finding something problematic on AVFM and explaining why it’s problematic should definitely be Woody’s challenge.

kittehserf

He’s also not allowed to use “it’s satire!” in any of his posts.

cassandrakitty

GNL should have to take an example of abusive behavior that’s common in society and explain why it is not in fact gender neutral in the way it happens in the real world.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

GNL should have to actually say something interesting.

cassandrakitty

We need some sort of generic challenge for PUAs as a holding cell until someone has time to design a personal challenge just for them.

kittehserf

“Explain why ‘kino’ is assault” maybe?

cassandrakitty

I feel like “explain why women are not fuck-dispensing machines” would be way too complicated for most of them.

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

If they understood that basic concept, they wouldn’t be PUAs.

Nequam
Nequam

This is not yarncraft at all, but would it suffice?

kittehserf

Yes, it’d have to be broken down into simple little questions.

Though I’d like to ask “Why the fuck did you bastards have to ruin the reputation of a perfectly lovely hat?”

kittehserf

Nequam, eeeeee! That is so good – craft-wise and idea-wise!

cassandrakitty

We could also try “when you hear the word no, what do you think that means?”

cassandrakitty

Mod or David has to deem the answer acceptable for the comment to go through/

kittehserf

That’s a good one, cassandrakitty!

kittehserf

Or David and mods vote on it. Olympic troll challenges!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

brooked
brooked

I would add that it should be an article written by AVfM staff member, not just some commentator’s ranting. This is a Herculean challenge, come on Woody, do it. Shock the world, or at least the posters here, by taking a short break from being AVfM’s biggest fanboy.

1 2 3