advocacy of violence all about the menz antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? creepy grandiosity literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA not-quite-explicit threats straw feminists

E-mail manifesto writer proclaims THE MENS REIGHTS [sic] REVOLUTION IS AT HAND

The Hate Bus, not to be confused with the Peace Train or the Joy Jitney.
The Hate Bus, not to be confused with the Peace Train or the Joy Jitney.

So in my email inbox yesterday, alongside a nagging reminder from my dentist to schedule a checkup and my latest marching orders from the Gynocrat Central Committee, I noticed an email from an unknown correspondent with the intriguing subject line “The Holy War against Feminism.”

Clicking on it, I found an angry little manifesto from someone calling himself Mortago Black. It started off with a bold all-caps claim:

THE MENS REIGHTS REVOLUTION IS AT HAND.

The revolution will not be spellchecked.

But apparently, if Mr. Black has any say over things, it will be “liked” on Facebook: our manifesto-writer followed his bold headline with a link to a Facebook page – which, by the time I got around to looking at his email, had been taken down, probably because it contained stuff like, well, the rest of his manifesto.

Mr. Black continued:

The dawn of men’s rights revolution is fast approaching. We are rising to destroy the evil of modern day feminism. The lies, the bigotry, and the hatred of feminism must be erased from the surface of our earth.

We are sworn to our lives to wage a holy war of men’s rights against feminism.

Huh. You know, before starting this blog, I probably would have dismissed something like this as obvious trollery. But too many Men’s Rightsers talk exactly like this for me to assume it’s not for real. I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be a troll, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if it was 100% real.

You will see my profile picture is the flag of the men’s rights revolution.

Wait, they have a flag now?

The 3 colors represent the heart and soul of our holy struggle:

You haven’t even specified what the “evil of modern-day feminism” consists of, and you’ve already moved on to the flag-describing stage?

Black: The black represents the darkness that is the evil of feminism. The shadow the oppression of feminist bigotry casts over the land, and the blackening of hearts against that which is good and just.

Ok, black = evil. No points for originality here.

Blue: The blue representatives man as society expects him to be, the role we have written for us, the character society forces us to play.

So, the Blue Pill? The Blue Pill is bad, right? Why are you giving 2/3 of the real estate on your flag to things you don’t like?

Red: The red represents the blood shed by fathers, husbands and sons of the past. It reminds us of the struggle and sacrifice we must be willing to make to destroy feminism.

Oy. Now I’m seeing why Facebook tried to nip your little revolution in the bud.

We shall cast this flag over the United States, and one day, over the world. We shall unshackle ourselves from the chains of feminist hate. We shall cleanse the world of this cancer, of this filth, of this plague, of this DISEASE that is feminism. We shall DESTROY those who seek to hurt us simply by virtue of birth. We shall ERADICATE the hatred and enemies of men.

Dude, hate to break it to you, but when you start talking about “cleansing the world” of the “disease” that is your enemy, you don’t sound much like Thomas Jefferson. You sound a lot more like the guy who wrote this:

[T]he discovery of the Jewish virus is one of the greatest revolutions that has taken place in the world. The battle in which we are engaged today is of the same sort as the battle waged, during the last century, by Pasteur and Koch. How many diseases have their origin in the Jewish virus! … We shall regain our health only be eliminating the Jew.

Yes, it was indeed Hitler who wrote that. Yes, I just compared you to Hitler. But you can’t call Godwin on me because you are LITERALLY USING A FASCIST TROPE.

If you find yourself, consciously or unconsciously, spouting rhetoric that sounds like you plagiarized it from Mein Kampf, I think you might just have to consider the possibility that, well, you might be the baddies.

Also, would it kill you to proofread your hate manifestos before you send them out?

EDIT: Added a bit more on the question of whether or not this is real or a troll, since I can’t tell.

tesformes

I expect this document to be added to the sidebar of /r/theRedPill and /r/MensRights any day now, along with indignant comments from their subscribers about how the sidebar literature isn’t representative of the movement and that we’re taking things out of context once somebody mentions it.

weirwoodtreehugger

A misogynist flag that’s the color of bruises and blood? Sounds about right.

tesformes

“A misogynist flag that’s the color of bruises and blood? Sounds about right”

Huh, black, blue and red, I never even made that connection. Seems oddly appropriate for them.

David, can we assume that nowhere in this document is there any indication that the person knows anything about feminism?

freemage
freemage

weirwoodtreehugger: An excellent observation.

damselindetech

Anyone else feel like you had to wipe the spittle from your eyes after reading that? Just me? Anyone? Bueller?

Lea
Lea

Add white and you have the colors of the leather pride flag. Theirs has a cute little heart though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather_Pride_flag

The “evil” and the “lies” are never actually spelled out, nor does the author of this screed make it clear how men have shed their blood over the “disease” of feminism. It’s almost as if the writer is just bitter, angry and bigoted and even he doesn’t know why. All he can communicate is his hate and his fantasy of a Mistogynist Reactionary Movement that gains enough popularity to turn violent and terrorize women back in to their “proper place”. He does sound like a Neo Nazi who is sure the race war’s a come’n any day now and just cannot understand that even casually racist white people think he’s an evil, out of touch, asshole.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

my latest marching orders from the Gynocrat Central Committee

I predict that Dean or JB will interpret that as proof positive you’re on the gynocracy payroll.

Sadly, the only thing surprising about that manifesto is that Facebook put the kibosh on it.

Puddleglum

And they wonder why they get called a hate movement…

@damselindetech the spittle was nasty. Fortunately I wear glasses.

Lea
Lea

Several MRAs in the Raw Story comment section have recently claimed that feminists secretly want to kill all men. They really believe or want people to think they believe that women’s equality = the destruction of men. They remind me of forced birthers who make claims about female bodily autonomy = “killing babies”. It’s an excuse to justify and encourage violence toward women and their allies.

Meanwhile, it’s clear that MRAs engage in rape apology, harassment denial and victim blaming because even if they are not rapists or want to be free to rape themselves, they understand that the fear of rape and other misogynistic abuse prevents women from being as active in society and as independent as they would be if they did not live under the threat of rape, violence and harassment.

BTW, another woman has been successfully harassed into silence. https://twitter.com/CousinDangereux

She mad the mistake of talking about sexism in gaming and to show just how not sexist the gaming community is, gaming bros harassed her and told her she should die.

Save The Queen
Save The Queen

I kind of wish facebook had left the page up. Morally repugnant crack-pottery like this should be left in plain sight and not shuffled off to dark corners of the web to fester unseen. People have to see that this kind of rhetoric is more common than they think, so when misogynists go off and hurt people they can’t be written off “madman” and “lunatics.” Too much of the stuff in Manosphere forums is just a grade or two shy of this manifesto.All of it dehumanizes and essentializes women and their allies. And when you’ve convinced yourself that someone isn’t human, it’s much easier to treat them as such.

freemage
freemage

Save the Queen: The flip-side argument is that getting Twitter, Facebook, etc to lock these sorts of cretins down helps to establish a line of unacceptable conduct. Of course, we’re a long way from there–for one thing, even the social media sites with policies don’t always enforce them very well. I think the better approach (though more labor-intensive) is to continue to call for the sites to be taken down, but ALSO to grab screen-shots so that they can be displayed during discussions like the one you describe.

bunnybunny

One of the best Mitchell and Webb sketches. Hilariously relevant.

Save The Queen
Save The Queen

Freemage: I agree with your last point; that’s probably the best way to deal with these situations. I think it’s important that mainstream sites not legitimize horrible ideologies, to come and make a statement about what is acceptable behavior on their spaces. What I’d like to see some of the mainstream sites do is what David does – mock the holy hell out of really harmful discourse.It would be a kind of rogue’s gallery that shows the worst of the worst with the message “See this shit? Don’t leave this shit on our site.” It doesn’t feed into the persecution complex of morally-challenged individuals because they get to say their piece but there’s a clear message of repudiation that says “you suck.”.Of course, this is even more work than just zapping a page and taking a screenshot. I’m probably altogether idealistic.

Save The Queen
Save The Queen

**Errr last part should say “too idealistic.”

Viscaria
Viscaria

Some of these sentences are vague in the best way. For example:

I’m not sure erasure from the face of the earth is language I would use, but I’m glad to see you’re opposed to the hatred of feminism!

We shall unshackle ourselves from the chains of feminist hate.

I sincerely hope you do!

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Maybe he meant to spell “Men’s Reich Revolution”.

Nick Reading

So, if someone calling themselves a feminist (someone no one had ever heard of and was using a pseudonym and not even showing their face) wrote a psychotic manifesto and sent it in to AVFM, would it be fair to take that and paint the entire feminist movement with it? Anyone could have sent that, just like anyone could be making moronic comments on reddit.

See, when we go after people, it’s actual notable leaders and actual violent protesters and we TELL THE TRUTH. When you guys go after leaders and recognizable activists you always, always distort what really happened. The only time you don’t have to twist the facts to make someone look stupid or malicious it’s always some random commenter or some anonymous wackjob.

For example, the guy from Men’s Rights Melbourne was not “one of Australia’s most visible activists”. I never saw his face, did you? Have you been to his website lately? Check it out, it’s gone.

Another example; when we caught those two women tearing down our posters (which were NOT pictures of Lise Gotelle and WERE posted on authorized poster kiosks, both of which you lied about) I did not “stalk” or “harass” ANYONE. I asked them why they were tearing down our posters and after not getting a response besides the middle finger, we left them.

Hey Dave, can you put http://www.mensrightsedmonton.com on your boobroll? Thanks, bud.
-Nick Reading
Men’s Rights Edmonton

House Mouse Queen

OMG a fucking flag?

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

David, please tell me you saved a copy of the flag? I wanna see what was surely another graphic design trainwreck.

Maybe he meant to spell “Men’s Reich Revolution”.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that typo was a Freudian slip. It’s too accurate to be a coincidence.

Yup. By claiming that genocide is the goal of feminism, they can convince themselves that their desire to harm women is justified because “she started it”. It’s playground justice, writ large.

Purple Poodlecat
Purple Poodlecat

Lea wrote:

Add white and you have the colors of the leather pride flag.

Wikimedia Commons has a whole selection of similarly-coloured flags. East Frisia, who knew?

lkeke35
lkeke35

Okay! That photo in the article is hilarious! Especially the “Joy Jitney”.
I’m going to start calling my minivan by that title. It’s too small to be a train and I like people, in theory, so the “Hate Bus” is out.

magnesium
magnesium

Did the flag colour description get the Red and Black song from Les Miserable stuck in anyone else’s head?

Robert Ramirez
Robert Ramirez

This “manifesto” has to be another 4Chan troll.

Lids

Proof-reading is misandry.

Puddleglum

My fav is the polyamory flag.

tiko72
tiko72

And in a few years when people say “whatever happened to the mens rights revolution?” A load of mra’s will just start raging about how it was that feminists job to start it.

tiko72
tiko72

Typo in my last comment,should be:

the feminists job to start it.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Well, they would have had a better flag if their bloody “movement” didn’t exclude loads of creative people who could construct a good flag.

Given their goings on about how men do all the work, I would have thought their flag should include a hammer and sickle as well.

pallygirl
pallygirl

The feminist flag needs this cat on it: http://www.neatorama.com/2014/07/02/Demon-Cat-has-Fabulous-Ear-Hair/#!7Sdo1

I can knit or crochet feminist buntings if we want those.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Purple. Purple represents the prose that will be spilled in the coming revolution.

Purple Poodlecat
Purple Poodlecat

Not to mention the colour of the poodles!

Viscaria
Viscaria

@magnesium:

Well, not initially XD but definitely now!

damselindetech

Lolz, pallygirl. You’re right about MRAs going on how mens create everything and the world would crumble without them. If they, en masse, are so literally constructive, why can’t the MRA contingent of them grab a hammer and some nails and build some men’s shelters? We know from Paul Elam’s fundraising efforts that they’re able to pool their monetary resources easily enough. Where does the rubber meet the road in terms of actually helping men?

*crickets*

Yes. Yes it did.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Our side also has the catchy songs:

vikkiandhanne

Why is it a holy war though? Which religion are they supposed to be representing?
Are they admitting they’re a cult now?
Also, hi guys! I’m finally delurking x3

inurashii
inurashii

bleah, Lily Allen ain’t writing the anthems for MY feminism. (intersectional or bullshit)

inurashii
inurashii

(still pretty cranky about the H.O.H. video and ensuing reaction to reactions)

brooked
brooked

@Lea

These video game zealots bring such vehemence and self-righteousness to arguments that make absolutely no sense to me. Mortago Black in the OP doesn’t make a good argument for his anti-feminism and likely has no idea what feminism actually is, but “feminism is bad” is something I’ve heard before.

Sarkeeeeeeeesian Derangement Syndrome doesn’t even have that. Are they arguing games aren’t sexist, that games are sexist and that’s not a bad thing, that games are above criticism, that the gaming industry is endangered by criticism, that women shouldn’t make games, it doesn’t matter if women makes games, that girls are icky? I can’t tell because they haven’t moved past inchoate rage.

This post has a bunch of choice posts from AVfM of alleged gamers enraged over Sarkeesian “attack” on their beloved “fandom”.

I am a gamer. I play video games,arcade games, choose your own adventure books,board games,Role playing games, Table top war games, card games, deck builders,war board games, and when I have time Live action role playing games. I don’t fear her. She should fear me.
She wasn’t even there for Gamer Console War I. I was and I still bear my battle wound with pride.

What the hell is that about? I’ve played video games since the late 1970s. I really hadn’t playing anything in the last five years for a variety of reasons, but I’ve owned over a dozen gaming systems. There have been mistakes on my part, I’m looking at you 3DO and Virtual Boy, and emotional ups and downs, but no battles or physical injury.

Michael Tague
Michael Tague

Black, blue and red… Ick! They sound like the worst combination of flag colours that I’ve ever hear. How were they arranged? Like, horizontal or vertical? Or were they in zigzags or something? The shape of LIGHTNING – all the better to SMASH the, er, gynocracy. At any rate, they’ve got nothing on the old green, white and violet. (“Give Women Votes!”)

Also, “The revolution will not be spellchecked.” has got to be the best Gil Scott-Heron reference I’ve ever heard.

Thanks for this! =]

pallygirl
pallygirl

@brooked: I have no idea what is up with all that male gamer hate. It would be like me hating on males who have returned to knitting and crochet, because I wear my battle wound of taking a few years to learn to do crochet with pride.

Robert
Robert

I remember the Gamer Console War. We went off as boys, and came home as dudebros.

Seriously, I would love to know what that wowbagger considers his ‘battle wound’, as long as I don’t have to interact with him to find out.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Did the winning side in the Gamer Console War get fedoras?

piratejennie

One of my favorite responses to the whole Anita Sarkeesian Derangement Syndrome (nice one brooked)

Isabelle
Isabelle

Still laughing…I am terrified by Captain Dark Helmet and his band of Merry Minions. It must be the flag that did it.

One more time with feelings: FAIL

piratejennie

Ah…clipped my whole paragraph before the video somehow.

The thing that really amazed me about the frenzy to destroy Anita Sarkeesian was that she states multiple times that she is not interested in banning or censoring games, that she plays games which have violent & deeply sexist content but since popular culture doesn’t exist in a vacuum, understanding what those tropes are, why they are there, and what enjoyment is derived from them is important.

That and video game developers being pushed towards more inclusive content is a GOOD thing, not a scary attempt by women to take over.

The defensiveness in some of the attacks and the straight up violent misogyny in others was very telling. Similar to the way some people react when their privilege is pointed out to them, refusing to believe it exists in the first place while proving that it does by acting terrified it will be taken away.

WatermelonSugar
WatermelonSugar

On gaming:

The video game industry is why I found this blog. I was lower-management at a video game retailer. I have played games for my whole life, so I thought it would be a great fit.

Ha ha. Ha ha ha.

I had a stalker. I got hit on daily. I had my validity as a human questioned constantly. I got called every derogatory anti-female name you could ever think of. I often had to work alone (in a high crime area, after multiple thefts, one of which was at gun point, though thankfully I was not on duty at the time) despite voicing very valid concerns for my safety.

I no longer play video games.

While I do really appreciate that people are starting to question the representation of women in the end-result of the game industry, it goes so, so much deeper than that. The whole culture is sick.

Winter Walker

Lea: I thought of the Leather Pride flag as soon as I read about that flag too! As in,

“How dare that sexist asshat try to steal our flag, without even using the cute heart! We pervs had those colours first! Get your own damn misogynist colours!”

I think I’m going to post a pic on FetLife, with choice bits of the manifesto. Especially in the groups run by Dominant women. 😉
I also can’t help but think of a number of lesbian bikers in my aquaintance who would be very offended at his appropriation of “our” colours for his icky purposes, and how he would react if confronted by the lot of them. Methinks he will need some new trousers, should he ever meet any of us.

grumpycatisagirl

At the American Library Association conference this past weekend, there was a screening of this documentary about women video gamers with a discussion with the filmmaker.

Obviously a lot of you would probably find it of interest: http://www.gtfothemovie.com/about.html

Winter Walker

Actually, I know some wonderful Leathermen who would not take kindly to this bullshit either. I doubt he’d enjoy a visit from them, either.
After all, he doesn’t seem like the type who would enjoy a three hour lecture on respect and consent, given by a bear in assless chaps…

1 2 3 4