a voice for men announcements evil fat fatties I am making a joke MRA on the tv paul elam

If you missed me on Al Jazeera America, they're rerunning the show today at 12:30 PM ET

Your Martin Luther King impression just isn't cutting it, dude.
Your Martin Luther King impression just isn’t cutting it, dude.

The human rights visionary looked down at what he had just written and smiled. Would these be the words he was remembered for?

Thomas Jefferson had that line about all men being created equal. It was bullshit, of course, but people ate that crap up. Martin Luther King had that thing about his kids not being judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. That was pretty good, he had to admit. People love cute stories about kids.

Gandhi had that thing, how did it go? That thing about everyone laughing at you, and fighting, and then you win something? That wasn’t quite it, but Gandhi was kind of a wuss, anyway. Would people even remember that dopey skinny dude in a diaper in a hundred years?

He chuckled quietly to himself.

They would certainly remember him, he thought. And they would remember the words he had tapped out on his laptop shortly before midnight that fateful summer night, on the eve of the historic conference that would, he knew, change the world forever.

One day, he was sure, these three sentences – well, two sentences and a sentence fragment, to be more precise – would be etched in stone.

He reached down, and clicked “Tweet.”

So anyway, just a reminder:  if you missed me on Al Jazeera America’s The Stream on Tuesday, facing off against AVFM’s Robert O’Hara, they’re rerunning the show today at 12:30 PM ET.

It’s only on TV, though, not online. Click here to see if you get Al Jazeera America on your TV provider.

Howard Bannister

…but they’re the movement that’s all about not judging men by how attractive they are and how horrible it is when women do that, right?

I can’t even pretend to expect consistency from them anymore.

informash12358
informash12358

The most important human rights movement of the 21st century, dontcha know.

leftwingfox

Ah MRAs, whining how unfair it is that ugly “low status” men are relegated to Beta status on the cock carousel, and simultaneously calling people they don’t like unfuckably ugly.

This seems to be part of the cycle of hate laundering I noticed recently.

The other day my brother posted this article on facebook: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/your-slip-is-showing-4chan-trolls-operation-lollipop

It’s like the “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion”; Russian tsarist anti-semites made it all up, presented it as real, and all these other anti-semites fall for it, using it as evidence that their hatred is justified.

Maybe it’s what happens when psychological projection meets tribal immunity: We believe X about them, so they must believe X about is. Believing X about us is wrong, because we’re the good guys. Therefore, we are perfectly justified in believing X about them because they’re the bad guys. The worse they act, the worse they think the opposition will act, which justifies their escalation.

leftwingfox

{Daffy Duck voice} Hhmmm… Pronoun trouble…{/Daffy Duck voice}

Hope that reads clearly.

ToolBox
ToolBox

Aren’t these the same guys who complain about the ‘misandristic media’ presenting men as sex-alohics, doing anything for a date? And then they go ahead and insinuate male feminists are just trying to get laid, usually when they don’t have a rebuttal.

I’m going to stare at the sea for a while, listen to the waves.

Lea
Lea

I think it was Gandhi who said in a brilliant rebuttal to anti-humanitarians: “You’re ugly! So there! WAH! WAH! WAH!”

Those words mean so much to so many. Such wisdom. So humanitarian. Much inspiration.

WatermelonSugar
WatermelonSugar

A Voice for Men: Humanist Counter-Theory and Name-Calling.

sadiesummer

Why is it male feminists only want sex and female approval but female MRAs are perfectly legit?

Falconer

Nice Human Male Human Rights Human Movement you got there, name-caller.

GrumpyOldNurse
GrumpyOldNurse

@ sadiesummer

There you go, with that ‘logic’ of yours again!

JoJo
JoJo

Because they are doing what is expected of them as women: kiss ass, have no agency (when its connected to kissing men’s ass of course, other times they are 100% responsible for everything) and make sure to be not like other women.

GrumpyOldNurse
GrumpyOldNurse

@Lea

Thanks! Must clean keyboard now!

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Becasue women wanting ma;e approval is the natural order of things, of course.

contrapangloss

Is there anyone who can record it for sad folks like I without TV?

Jean-François

When I confront the “you’re just a feminist because you want women to like you” thing, I often have the urge to play along.

“Oh no! You’ve found my ploy! I was just trying to get laid all along. But it doesn’t matter, soon the feminist men will be the Alphas, and the bros will be the Betas, and all you MRAs will be the Fallen Empires. I for one welcome our new female overlords!”

ivyshoots

“You so ugly,” a game most of us stopped playing around age 14. Men’s rights are human rights! Except when you so ugly.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I still think the real reason they’re mad about David “only doing this for female attention” is that it appears to be working. His blog has way more women commenters than any of theirs, and it makes them sad 🙁

sparky
sparky

So, watched it today and good job countering O’Hara’s bullshit!

Also, the reporter seemed like she really wanted to school him but was holding back.

When asked what AVFM and the MRM had accomplished for men, O’Hara basically said “vasalgel,” but why? AFAIK, AVFM has done absolutely nothing to get vasalgel on the market, from raising money to letter writing to educational campaigns. Nothing. Right? And that’s something that’s really to factcheck, too.

cloudiah

I’m waiting for Woody to chime in to tell us that this somehow really proves that Paul Elam is a visionary human rights leader.

Oh Woody, wherefore art thou? There’s some apologia needed here!

xodima

@Leftwingfox

“One thing that struck me was that not only were the people who created these false-flag accounts anti-feininsts, but the people who most overwhelmingly bought into this were anti-feminists who didn’t know what the other faction was up to. The hate cycle was self-reinforcing, without an actual instigating factor on the other side for the outrage.”

They create a strange example of the woozle effect they accuse David Futrelle of.

They see a feminist extremist, outrage post, or fake, then watch it blow up in controversy and say how popular it is. “It has so many reblogs/pageviews!” – Well, was that before or after it was reblogged by you and linked on /r/MR, AVFM, TiA, and Spearhead?

There are way too many dubious posts on Tumblr that have thousands of notes just because they were linked by someone opposing the views who had a giant circlejerk about it.

leftwingfox

Ha! Yeah, I’ve seen that.

contrapangloss

Scientists finally did primate trials on something they’ve been working on since before we founded our site.

Look at our triumph!

We’ve done amazing!

Group hug!

Nequam
Nequam

Relevant re the ugly discussion:

Racnad
Racnad

Feminists know it is unenlightened to judge anyone by their physical appearance or clothing unless it’s a man wearing a fedora.

A Wolverine
A Wolverine

@Nequam
Broken hearts are for Assholes would probably have worked too

Tigerbos
Tigerbos

Elam should take a look at his face in the mirror before he critiques someone else’s looks. Holy shit. In any case, he should go root himself.

Sarah
Sarah

If they weren’t such assholes, you’d feel pity for his deluded followers: resentful and frustrated as they are with female rejection, their leader name-calling based on appearance and body-shaming is probably great for their self-esteem.
Charismatic leaders that are abusive even with their own, that rely on insecure followers they exploit… yeah, that sounds like a cult.

Sarah
Sarah

Also, please please please does anyone have the video recorded for those of us that don’t live in the US? Thanks! 🙂

pallygirl
pallygirl

@Sarah: AVfM is a cargo cult. 🙂

And seconding Sarah’s request for a recorded version of the piece, as the timing has been awful where I live and I think both have been broadcast in the incredibly early hours of the morning.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

Oh, I so want to cut a reaction video at this point – Dave speaking, with pauses inserted filled with, you know, screaming female Beatles fans, buxom women ripping their shirts off, and maybe that Woody Allen clip with the horde of bare-breasted ladies chasing that one poor guy.

We could post it on the MRA sites and watch their heads explode as they try to figure out whether we’re mocking Dave or them…

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Oh Woody, wherefore art thou? There’s some apologia needed here!

He’s been MIA for a day or so now, hasn’t he? Maybe the excitement over the greatest human rights conference ever has overwhelmed the poor little guy, and he’s lying down in a dark room.

KathleenB
KathleenB

The guy in the background has a perfect WTF?!? expression.

Racnad
Racnad

I’m surprised to see at least two Frank Zappa fans here. I thought he’d be more popular with the MRA crowd.

Tracy

Thirding the recording request, if anyone has one!

Jean-François

@Phoenician in a time of Romans | June 26, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I think the scene with the bare-breasted women chasing the guy is from Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life. It’s entirely possible that Woody Allen also did something similar, starring himself as the guy being chased of course.

Phoenician in a time of Romans
Phoenician in a time of Romans

@Jean-Francois: You’re probably correct. I may have confabulated it with the giant breast sequence(*) in “Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex”.

(*) Which, if you haven’t seen it, is nowhere as titillating as it sounds…

kittehserf

I always liked that photo of Zappa, even if he is sitting on the loo …

fauxmy

just giving a thumbs up for the repeat performance, david and the ‘broken hearts are for assholes’ reference. 🙂

Sarah
Sarah

Gee, troll, you caugth us. We totally cannot tell the difference between body type and (bad) taste in fashion.

Geary

Is there still no online mirror?

House Mouse Queen

David, I am empathic with you regarding them attacking your appearance as I’ve had the same thing done to me. They also attack my room saying I should ‘clean it’ and yet when I watch a neckbeard MRA video, it’s their places that look like a tornado went through it. ie. The batchelor pad look.

They’ve called me a male transsexual, trannie scum, made fun of my teeth (bottom teeth are crooked). They’ve attacked every part of my you can imagine, and like I told you the ‘sex positive’ women on Youtube that aligned themselves with MRA’s, make fun of my vagina.

I totally empathize b/c is does hurt sometimes and it leads you to getting a thicker skin which makes you a harder person and that’s not always a good thing.

kittehserf

Fuck, rancid nads, we already know you’re dumber than dogshit. You don’t have to keep proving it.

FWIW, I happen to like fedoras and my husband has several. Oddly enough, no feminists have mocked him for it. It’s almost like it’s understood shorthand for a particular type of self-infatuated dudebro rather than being about the hat.

House Mouse Queen: 🙁 I’m sorry they are so awful to you. You don’t deserve it.

Samantha Lui

Hi David

Did you end up getting a recorded version of the show? Can’t find it anywhere online, and I missed it. Would very much like to see it as they may have used some footage I shot from a rally I was at.

Cheers