awesome open thread

Open Thread: Manfeels Park Dance Party Edition. No trolls, no MRAs.

mansfeels

Open thread! As always: No trolls, no MRAs.

This is a general open thread; for more personal stuff, go here.

Oh,and the pic above is from a hilarious new website called Manfeels Park, which mashes up whiny MRA complaints with … Jane Austen.

Kim
Kim

On a completely unrelated note – I am about to move to a new area. I didn’t make any friends where I live now, but I’m hoping things will be better in the new area. I’m wondering if having a housewarming and inviting my new neighbours has any chance of success. Has anyone tried this or know someone who did? Did it work? Was it a disaster? I have no idea what the existing culture of the place is, other than being a new housing development so probably mostly young families.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Kim, I’d check out community events boards and see if there are any societies or clubs that you’re interested in. I know arts organizations, and organizations that are volunteer-intensive, are always looking for new members. Especially if they’re willing to work, but absolutely don’t feel obliged. Just show up at public meetings and suss things out. (Not really a party kind of girl, sorry.)

lensman
lensman

@katz

Really? I wasn’t aware that you could play KQVII on ScummVM, because the compatibility list didn’t have it. Did you go the normal route of installing (Add Game, Choose Game Folder, Start Game) or did you have to modify something?

Hang on, sorry, I used ScummVM for the others but KQ7 I used Dosbox for. I downloaded a nice bundle that includes Dosbox and a batch file launcher. I don’t recall where I got it from originally, but I could upload it for you if you like.

Kim
Kim

The development we’re moving to doesn’t have any organisations or anything. It’s literally the first stage. They have plans for shops and schools and loads more houses, but atm it’s houses and parks. Pretty awesome parks though. 🙂 Kids these days are so spoilt. 🙂

There is a neighbouring town where we’ll be going for groceries etc, but it’s a decent drive away with no pub trans. Which is fine for most things, but having drinks while socialising is nice, and impossible when we have to drive to get there. Cabs might be affordable though. I hadn’t thought of that til now.

On the plus side, it’ll have NBN (broadband that is actually fast and plentiful) so all our internetting will be easier at least.

I did think of something fun and mammoth inspired to do if I do have a party though. Play cute/funny animal videos on a big screen/projector during the party. How could anyone not like that? 🙂

I think a housewarming is a good idea if you’re into that sort of thing. The worst thing people can do is not come and so the worst thing that can happen is you get everything ready and nobody shows up, which is a bummer but far from the end of the world.

LBT: Sneak will probably like Thomas Was Alone but you should play it too because you’d be interested in the plot. It’s about accidentally-created AIs trying to escape the mainframe they are on and get into the outer world.

marinerachel
marinerachel

I fucking LOVE tree kangaroos. When the joeys hop into their momma’s pouches head-first, then flip around to pop their heads out but their big back feet are still hanging out, I squeeeeeeal. Also, when they stretch their little heads up to munch on whatever Mom has in her front paws – so cute!

marinerachel
marinerachel

I had a…. weird experience tonight.

A dude and I started exchanging e-mails and texts a few days ago. We’re both kind of alone in the city, looking to develop social circles. He’s a few months ahead of me following a big heartbreak and has been a great shoulder and voice of reason to me so far. We’re also both interested in outdoorsy stuff and road tripping. Our interactions have been entirely platonic which is great because that’s what I’ve been looking for.

We met up tonight for a bite and a walk. There was some anxiety on my part. We’re very different. He’s very laid back, gruff. nerdy, pothead. I’m anxious, animated, glamourous, prudish (not really but it’s how I present when I’m nervous, meeting a new person after work.) He is so kind though. I loved his company. He’s someone I found very easy to talk to and was happy to listen to despite how different we are. I’ll never be as technologically inclined as him and he’ll always be grossed out watching surgeries. That’s OK.

The goodbye got weird. I’m not good at those. He says he isn’t either. He says he’s glad we did it and if I want to again I can call or text or e-mail him. I had no idea what that meant. It sounded kind of like “I will not be contacting you again”. We had a weird forced hug, then jumped in our cars. Before driving off, I texted him, asking whether he’d just let me down easy or be interested in doing it again. He responded saying he thinks he would but feels like he wasn’t what I’d expected. I hadn’t had any expectations so I was a bit weirded out by that and asked if I’d disappointed. He texts me back saying he’s not sure we’d click as close friends. Ouch.

I sent him the night’s final text, saying I’d love to give it another shot but would wait for him to initiate.

I am super bummed. I hope he gives me another shot. I’d love his friendship. If he’s not benefiting from our interactions though, I gotta let him go.

pallygirl
pallygirl

This:

He is so kind though. I loved his company.

isn’t gelling with this:

None of the kind people I know, of any gender, would say something like that, let alone text it. I’m old-fashioned, I find texting that type of comment to be a particularly cowardly, emotionally cold thing to do.

lensman
lensman

@katz

Please do. I’ve always wanted to give KQVII a shot.

@marinerachel

I second pallygirl on this one. He could have told you directly.

I really don’t know how to advise you on this, without sounding like a patronizing prick. Nevertheless, I’ll try.

Are you having fun with this guy? Do you share any interests that you can talk and bond about? Most importantly are you sure you can trust him?

He is not wearing a fedora, by any chance, is he?

@everyone

I know there are lots of cat lovers here, so I’ll just ask:

How do you get rid of Kitty lice?

See, a pregnant street-cat recently barged in my parent’s village home and gave birth to kitties. Apparently, when a cat gives birth, lice also come out to absorb excess fluids and now the whole house is infested (I am not sure if the lice-when-breeding thing is true, perhaps you will correct me on this one).

There aren’t any good fumigation companies nearby. Anybody knows what to do?

KQ7, for anyone interested. Let me know if it doesn’t work and I’ll…sympathize, I guess, since there isn’t really much I can do except say “It worked for me.”

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

So, fellow USicans, how ’bout that buffer zone decision?

fromafar2013

So, fellow USicans, how ’bout that buffer zone decision?

FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKKK

*rolls around on the floor in a fit of rage*

I’m on my fifth beer, and I ordered a stuffed crust pizza with extra cheese just to cope. I’m thinking about volunteering as an escort now, they’re gonna need it even more -_-;

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I don’t have the patience to work as a clinic escort. I always end up screaming at those idiots.

kittehserf

Lensman, I wish I had advice for getting rid of cat lice! I can only suggest googling it. 🙁

LBT
LBT

RE: Kim

When I lived in Boston (an infamously unfriendly city) my French neighbors threw a housewarming. I was unable to go due to prior committments, but other people I know did and it definitely meant I remembered them. There were also some dudes who threw a block party once and I wandered by, and they were like, “JOIN OUR PARTY!” I did, ate some food, had some fun playing a yard game, and generally had a good time. I say, go for it!

RE: katz

From Sneak: “AUGH I TRIED TO DOWNLOAD IT BUT OUR COMPUTER IS OLD AND CAN’T DOWNLOAD ZIPS WITHOUT CORRUPTING THEM ANYMORE I AM THE SADDEST. T_T I really want to play this game, but I just can’t do it auuuuugh.”

Sneak uses a lot of capslock.

Hmph. U NO have Steam?

Because if you did we could send you a copy.

LBT
LBT

Sorry, no Steam. Nine-year-old laptop, and the hard drive is getting really full; it badly needs a replacement. 🙁 It’s on my to-do list directly after getting my emergency funds set up.

Hey Fibinachi, if you’re around, I’m still really intrigued by the ideas in this comment. Want to collab on an interactive fiction, maybe? I can do the programming.

Dvärghundspossen

This is interesting, about how little mental illness has to do with violent crime after all: http://news360.com/article/245780604# I just post it here, since I think many of you would find it interesting.

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

Hey Katz!

I’d love to! That’d be interesting and great. Sort of a pick your own path, adventure text thing? That’d be interesting. Plus I’m on vacation for the next month, so I’ve got some time to burn on interesting projects (That don’t involve trying to make up some sort of kinda-sorta France post revolution for a game of D&D and kludging in the ten-thousand rules suppements to the d20 system I’ve managed to find).

( ( Ideas for fun things to chuck at players and people always welcome ) )

ON notes of fun, I just finished Thomas Was Alone and…
and…

Wow.

Got nothing but that. If anyone’s interesting messing about with a actuall relatively simple (But fun! Fun fun fun!) platformer with a really, really interesting and lovely story, go for Thomas Was Alone.

I’m also a fan of Gish, in which you control a ball of tar.

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

I should point out I like Gish for the platforming and the physics, there’s absolutely no story or anything of that kind.

That’s the kind of thing. I’ve written a couple, including The House of Fear, which is based on the life and art of (who else?) Leonora Carrington. (You can play in browser for free; the link is on the top right.)

Want to get on email and swap some ideas? I was thinking instead of a health meter, maybe a mood meter. Or better yet, two mood meters: Yours and theirs. You’ve got to keep both from hitting zero, but things that boost one meter may deplete the other. (Calm did something a bit like this.)

Everyone else: Feel free to chip in.

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

That’s an entire database I didn’t know existed.

I’m getting Zork flashbacks now.

Thank you for both links.

Hm… What’d you program this with – The House of Fear, I mean?

Inform 7. It’s easy-peasy, natural language (supposedly) and designed for interactive fiction.

Anyway if you want to email about it shoot something to this meltmail and I’ll reply: 9OR63NbNQ77M@meltmail.com

But do it today because it is a meltmail.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Fibi — things I’d had up my sleeve that you could maybe adapt for D&D — powerful person owes their life to a Really Bad person, but you’ll never get that damning bit of info if you just kill the big baddie; oh that statue? Yeah that’s a gargoyle; why is the book I need in the hands of someone who wants me to do a shitty favor before they’ll give it up (attempts to resort to violence end in horrible deaths). I don’t think any related to Bedlum and Victorian women would help you though?

fromafar2013

Well, it’s official. SCOTUS thinks corporations are people with rights to force religion on other people, but women are not people and don’t have a right to their own bodily autonomy. Fuck.

kittehserf

Hobby Lobby won?

Fuck.

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

Bedlum and Victorian women are always helpful! (And so it is the rest. I like spinning ideas from random snippets. Thank you)

But do it today because it is a meltmail.

Sorry Katz, I was sleeping and running errands and helping my sister move into her new apartment. Didn’t see this post until right now.

IF you want, you can contact me at fibi at gmail, which is my throw-away contact e-mail for this particular part of the woods.

fromafar2013

The only silver lining I can see is it may force the administration to consider an ACA mandate to provide free/cheap BC and reproductive health services to all uterus et al.-havers regardless of whether or not it is covered by insurance purchased through their employer.

Ideally, frankly, we should divorce health care and insurance from employer benefits all together; it is something we should all have access to regardless of employment status and employment ‘benefits’.

Still, it’s going to be interesting to see how this ‘religious exemption’ ruling plays out in other areas, and by interesting, I mean horrible.

No worries, but I’m not getting that email address to work? Here, have another meltmail:

nq3y25Ihyx2d@meltmail.com

daintydougal
daintydougal

Peeps probably already know about this, but I thought I’d find an old open thread to post it. Does anything ever change? Ever?

won’t someone think of the rich white males!

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Fibi — my biggie Bedlam one hinged on the vampire sunlight problem, but maybe you can work with it all the same — female vampire, put in Bedlam, how the hell do you get out before becoming a crispy critter? (One of the psychs was also a vampire, or maybe a ghoul, either way the answer was find him, explain, do whatever the fuck he asks because it’s better then being crispy [I was thinking vampire, and one of status, where requesting anything too vile would come back to haunt him]).

How do you get your ghoul out when you can’t make daylight appearances? Bonus points if you’re playing a woman and the ghoul is male, cuz Victorian England.

Navigating proper Victorian woman etiquette while dealing with vampire politics (playing nice tends to get you killed)

Whoops, realize your husband is swindling his investors? Too bad it’s 1860 and you’re a woman in Victorian London! Have fun at Bedlam! (1865 actually, because I needed it after The Great Stink for vampire reasons, do it before or during that and you can toss in all kinds of “and btw, all you smell, everywhere, is sewage, try not to get chorea!” — both in practical terms and miasma theory)

And my deus ex machina — that Really Powerful sorta friend? Yeah, she doesn’t fight, period, but she will work a little vampire “magic” to get you an escape route, so stay on her good side. (I wanted a chance to sorta play and she was the perfect chance to craft my players’ futures without going totally deus ex machina about it — pretty much, if she showed up she either had a plot advancing quest, or you were doing something fatally dumb)

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Wow autocorrect, that should be cholera, not chorea, though that could be an interesting problem while in combat.

scott1139
scott1139

Reading about people who want to keep oppression in place is ruining my life. My depression is worse, and I have feelings of extreme anger.

My therapist and my dad told me harboring such powerful feelings of resentment is very unhealthy, and that I need to let them go. For this reason, I am going to leave WHTM. I don’t know if it will ever be healthy for me to come back. I’m sure you all will get along fine without me, but I really wanted to say goodbye before I left.

To the many wonderful regulars (and irregulars?) here, I say: Thank You! I hope you have very enjoyable lives. 🙂

I can post until the end of today; if anyone has questions. (concerns? comments? :P)
Oh, the end of today for me will be when it’s midnight on the East coast of the US.

Dvärghundspossen

Hey, I just saw something that was so funny I gotta share: Our current right-wing government is a collaboration between four different political parties. They campaign together under the heading “alliansen” (=the alliance). On their website, they have a cartoon with a flag. The flag is supposed to be blowing in the wind, and the fabric bends, so you can’t see all the letters in “alliansen”. The letters you do see on this flag form the word “asen”. “Asen” means, roughly, “the bastards” or “the assholes”.

So basically this is thrown around all over Facebook by leftie Swedes… I wonder how long it will take before one of “the assholes” take notice and change the flag pic on the website…

Dvärghundspossen

Scott, take your time. I understand where you’re coming from. I’ll be staying at Mammoth, but just removed myself from my Swedish feminist groups on Facebook and also from my vegan group, because it was too much depressing shit there. Sometimes one’s gotta take a break from things.

Scott, you know what you need. Taking care of yourself should always be your first priority. Do feel free to just hang around the open threads if you like.

grumpycatisagirl

Hi Scott, my best wishes to you! I do understand where you’re coming from as well, and I’m glad your dad and therapist are around to support you. Just want to let you know I’ve enjoyed your posts, and am very glad you exist in the world.

scott1139
scott1139

Dvärghundspossen and katz,

Yes, thank you. 🙂

It’d actually be best for me to avoid the site completely, but I appreciate the invitation.

scott1139
scott1139

::blushes in embarrassment:: That’s such a nice thing to say, thank you. 🙂

contrapangloss

Scott, best of luck!

By all means, do what you have to for your own mental health. I’ve enjoyed your posts, and am sincerely grateful for getting to know you, in little bits and pieces of short text.

I’ll miss seeing your name in threads, just a bit. However, if us missing you here means you’re able to live even a slightly happier and healthier life, then absolutely go for it.

Better to miss you but know you’re taking care of yourself, than to know you’re just getting more and more hurt.

Best of luck, and I hope you have a brilliant life in meatspace.

scott1139
scott1139

Best of luck, and I hope you have a brilliant life in meatspace.

::blushes even more:: Thank you, contrapangloss. 🙂 I think your posts are excellent. 😀

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

*waves* been nice having you around Scott! But if you need to go, you need to go — doesn’t just apply to the bathroom 🙂

Should you decide to return, you know where to find us, until then, good luck!

kittehserf MOD
kittehserf MOD

scott, seconding everyone – Sorry you have to go, but take care!

scott1139
scott1139

But if you need to go, you need to go — doesn’t just apply to the bathroom

Lol! XD

Thanks, kittehserf and Argenti. 🙂

emilygoddess - MOD
emilygoddess - MOD

So 4chan decided to troll the “feminist” tag on Tumblr today. And when 4chan trolls you, it tends to include really appalling stuff. I saw dead humans and animals being tortured, and deliberate attempts to upset rape survivors, just in my brief few minutes in the tag. Then I had to go hug my partner and cat for a little while. People are seriously fucked up.