awesome open thread

Open Thread: Manfeels Park Dance Party Edition. No trolls, no MRAs.

mansfeels

Open thread! As always: No trolls, no MRAs.

This is a general open thread; for more personal stuff, go here.

Oh,and the pic above is from a hilarious new website called Manfeels Park, which mashes up whiny MRA complaints with … Jane Austen.

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

Found this album a while back. Really great stuff, kind of a proto riot-grrl.

Unrelated, but also currently listening to Pig Destroyer’s “Prowler In the Yard”. Great stuff if you like grindcore. The intro is incredibly haunting in a way usually not seen outside of early industrial, and I love it. Really wish more bands made stuff like “Hamburger Lady”. D:

Children of the Broccoli
Children of the Broccoli

Heh, Manfeels Park is hilarious. Thanks for the link!

insanitybytes22

Manfeels Park is really cute and hilarious. Thanks for the link.

Owl Cake
Owl Cake

“I hope you feel like you’re about to sneeze for the rest of your life.”

God, this comic is good.

moraghannah

@Owl Cake: I literally just found and edited in the source for that comeback because I felt so bad being given the credit for it. *chuckle* Seriously, I just pulled all that stuff together from the web, I am NOT the genius (any of the geniuses) behind the words. In other news, psyched to have been given a shout-out here – excited to see it getting around! ~Mo

kittehserf

I just left a comment that we’ll have to add that sneezing curse to our list over here. 😀

Now if only the scrotospherians (scrotosphericals?) would learn to dress like Jane Austen’s chaps … they’d still be total douchecanoes but at least they’d be decorative douchecanoes.

piratejennie

@BreakfastMan:

Eve Libertine & Joy De Vivre were two of my earliest punk heroines and role models.

Along with The Slits & X-Ray Spex (who opened me up to a world of more obscure bands) they gave me the strength to go to gigs and show the male dominated scene women weren’t “just there with our boyfriends” or to hit on musicians.

And also to get in the face of and point out the guys who tried to grope or threaten women in the pit & elsewhere.

They were a big part of sparking my teenage steps into political awareness and activism.

Thanks for sending me on a vinyl bender sure to piss off my neighbors!

weirwoodtreehugger

Does anyone have recommendations for stand up comedians? I was talking about George Carlin earlier and realized I’ve gotten a bit out of date. I already know about all the famous comedians. I’m looking for more up and coming comics. I don’t like comedians who rely on puppets, props or songs but other than that any topic is fine.

Obviously I don’t want sexist, racist or homophobic comedians recommended but I’m sure none of you would be that kind of thing anyway so I trust you all.

piratejennie

@WWTH

I like DeAnne Smith

She does music & stand up ads well as general commentary. She has a YouTube channel and I find most of her stuff pretty hilarious plus she links to other queer & feminist comics.

I also like Wyatt Cenac, but he occasionally treads onto shaky ground with sexism.

Give me a bit to un-muddy my brain and I’ll try to come up with a few more.

piratejennie

*as well

cripes

piratejennie

And just read your comment about songs…hoooo, fail.

kittehserf

Kittieeeeeeeeee!

piratejennie

But forgiven about the song for the kitten?

Please?

LBT
LBT

RE: WWTH

Fluffy Iglesias! He’s a riot, and I don’t even LIKE stand-up comedy, generally. Here’s his story/act about when he went to perform at Saudi Arabia! (With him, stories and acts are kinda squished together, which I really enjoy.)

kittehserf

I didn’t listen to the song (I hardly ever have the sound on with my laptop), I just looked and did kitten squees. 😀

strivingally

WWTH: how do you feel about Adam Hills?

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBYnL5fAXE&w=420&h=315%5D

strivingally

Dammit, where’s the edit function? 😛

kittehserf

We live without an edit function – can you imagine what the trolls would do with that?

weirwoodtreehugger

Piratejennie,

No worries on the song thing. I haven’t listened yet to Deanne Smith yet but I will. I was thinking of horrible comedians who do stupid music but somehow forgot I’m a fan of Garfunkel and Oates. Plus, kitties are never, ever anything but good!

piratejennie

I like Garfunkel and Oates, too.

And yes, kitties are a universal antidote.

It’s just that reading comprehension is on my list of supposed skills so I was feeling a large case of FFS.

Stuffed Fantod

Lovely and brilliant. 🙂 Many thanks for the tip, Dave!

strivingally

G+O are possibly one of my favourite things ever.

If you don’t mind musical comedy I find Gillian Cosgriff pretty funny (one gendered slur in the song, just FYI):

Stuffed Fantod

I am a huge fan of the 1491s. Dallas Goldtooth and the crew are some of the funniest people I’ve ever come across.

piratejennie

Do people here follow The Brain Scoop?

It’s not comedy, but Emily Graslie is funny and promotes women in STEM fields.

She also did a pretty spiffy piece about the sexism directed towards her through email & comments on her YouTube channel.

This may be old news for many, but for anyone who missed it:

piratejennie

And this is going to be my last entry before I time myself out for being loopy enough to go on a posting tear that has no foreseeable end:

Erik
Erik

Does this website ever explore the non-whining complaints made by the less crazy-seeming MRAs? Some MRAs sound sincere in their objections about their treatment in family courts, about false rape accusations, etc. Perhaps this is the wrong website for taking a balanced analytical approach, but I’m not sure.

Comedians: Any Trevor Noah fans out there? (You must watch to the end of this clip because he does this ridiculous Hitler imitation.)

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Katz
“Any Trevor Noah fans out there?”

I am now 🙂

kittehserf

Erik – read the header. This is about mocking misogyny. It’s not a debating site.

MRAs can be as sincere as they like, but it doesn’t change the fact that they’re spouting bullshit and are misogynists. Sincerely hating women is no improvement.

No trolls, no MRAs! It says it right there! SOMEONE CONTACT THE DARK LORD!

Leum
Leum

CN: suicide, involuntary hospitalization

I need some hugs from ManBoobzers. One of my internet friends (doesn’t comment here) was suicidal (plan, means, and intent) and I decided to call the police. IDK what’s going to happen to her (beyond that they did find her), but they might end up involuntarily hospitalizing her. I feel terrible, but also don’t feel like I had another choice. Just hope she won’t hate me for it.

weirwoodtreehugger

Leum, she might be angry with you temporarily, although I hope not. In the long run I think she’ll see you did the right thing.

AL3H
AL3H

@Leum

Finds hug barrel. Packs hugs into hug barrel. Rolls hug barrel to center of the internet.

kittehserf

Leum, seconding weirwoodtreehugger and AL3H.

AngryMouse
AngryMouse

You all seem like clever people with excellent taste so you’d be a good bunch to ask: I need some new podcasts, do you have any recommendations? And is there such a thing as manboobz in podcast form?

kittehserf

Sorry, I know zip about podcasts, AngryMouse!

(Nearly wrote podcats then. OH NOES ALIEN CATS ARE TAKING OVER)

wewereemergencies
wewereemergencies

@Leum seconding WWTH and giving you lots of hugs.

strivingally

@Erik:
It’s been my experience that every time we scratch the surface of one of those “reasonable” or “moderate” MRAs, it turns out they’re just doing a better job than most of restraining their natural urges to blame women for everything. There seems to be a lack of good faith on their part when engaging with anybody they perceive as The Enemy, which is why this site exists – we mock people who we can’t reason with.

@Leum:
Oh, that sucks. :/ Hopefully in the long run your friend will understand you did what you had to do in order to guarantee her safety. In the short term, she will probably not.

Melissia

Something I’ve noticed happening more in the last year or two: people excusing their words and actions by proclaiming “I’m an ally (of whatever movement)!”, then getting upset when they find out this doesn’t place them beyond all criticism.

If you’re unwilling to listen to the person you’re supposedly an ally of, you’re not much of an ally, are you?

Leum
Leum

CN: suicide, involuntary hospitalization

The police department got back to me, my friend was taken to a hospital, idk if she went voluntarily or not. Glad she’s somewhere safe, sad that she has to be somewhere safe, worried about who will notify her family (I don’t have their contact info).

strivingally

@Melissia:
That sounds a lot like the point of this great piece by Aphra Behn at Shakesville about men who are great Allies, In Theory, but drop the ball pretty badly when it comes to walking the walk.

Melissia

Yeah. I also see it for “LGBT allies” as well. Less so for racism, but it’s not unheard of.

pallygirl
pallygirl

@Leum, that’s a safe place for her, it’s great that she had you looking out for her. You’ve done all you can, the rest is just letting her know that you’ll be there when she needs you.

I’ve been through this myself, including “narking” on a friend to their home-visit nurse and had them readmitted a number of times. I hated doing it each time, but they had a very high risk of self-harm/suicide if I didn’t. And now they’re as right as rain. 🙂 And we’re still friends. See, there can be good outcomes from this.

/hugs if you want them

Kim
Kim

@AngryMouse

My faves are

Pop Culture Happy Hour – which is a discussion style podcast about Pop Culture, often very funny, and really great for recommendations for media to try.

We Hate Movies – where they talk about bad movies, also very funny. They do great impressions, and will go off on weird tangents. And even though they are afaik all nerdy white guys, when there is sexism, racism, etc in the movie they’ll call it out for being stupid.

Ask Me Another – a quiz show. Also very funny and fun. Lots of word puzzles not just trivia. The in house musician for the show wrote Still Alive for Portal.

I’d love some recommendations for more podcasts too. I am about to move an extra 20 minutes from where I work so I have 200 minutes of drive time to fill. I am picky though in that I need them to be very consistent quality and tone. For some reason inconsistent podcasts make me very anxious. Yes I’m weird.

Hyena Girl

For podcasts I’d recommend “Welcome to Nightvale” by Commonplace books. It’s wonderful and weird.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barhR-i_Ak8&w=420&h=315%5D

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Random, but for anyone who wants a good laugh, here are some stats on r/mensrights.

99% white, 84% “strong conservative”, most favored issue pot legalization, only 6% want abortion to remain legal. I’m not sure whether 88% aged 17-20 is a good sign (because they’ll hopefully grow the fuck up and get some perspective) or a bad one (the children are our future and so on).

brooked
brooked

Crickey, what a shit show paraded in that online r/mensrights poll. I’ve actually lost respect for them, which is a near impossible feat at this point. There are only a hundred guys over the age of 25, they should probably spend a little less time complaining about divorce court and custody battles. The age demographics does explain why they think creep shaming is one the key issues of our time. I like how only 26 women were polled, I guess about 1/5 are on the AVfM staff.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

WTF are the older people there even doing there? It would be like me hanging out on Tumblr haranguing all the kids about the cost of covering my grey roots, except that I’d have to blame both the roots and the fact that hairdressers don’t work for free on men.

Kootiepatra
Kootiepatra

I cannot express how much I love that Manfeels Park is being drawn from the best adaptation of Pride and Prejudice ever made. …Which I now feel like I must go watch.

Re: The demographics of r/mensrights–I thought I had heard that the numbers were artificially inflated by some sort of glitch / bots / something in the poll. But even accounting for that, it’s still a pretty lopsided representation.

Alex

@Erik,

Let’s not. Please.

But anyway, about your actual question, Warren Farrell has long been considered a “moderate” MRA, but there have still been posts about him. Even though he doesn’t spew violence the way Paul Elam or others do, his views are still incredibly disgusting and toxic. The most moderate MRA I ever met (he denounced MRAs who were openly misogynistic, didn’t spew violence, and wasn’t directly disrespectful to me) was still a rape apologist, so y’know fuck that noise.

1 2 3 6