off topic open thread

Open Thread for Personal Stuff, June 2014 Edition

Hey, we're huggin here!
Hey, we’re huggin here!

An open thread for personal stuff, continuing from here.

As usual for these threads: no trolls, no arguments.

kittehserf MOD

marinerachel – yay, have fun!

I finished my reconstructed, reconstructed outfit tonight. Details may be seen on Ravelry!

serrana

My grandmother died last night at 11. I’m so glad we went to see her yesterday. I cried a bunch last night when I was writing my last comment and it was almost the same time. I think I just knew it was time. Now I just feel kind of numb, which is probably for the best as I have a bunch more phone calls to make.

cloudiah
Reply to  serrana

Hugs Serrana and Ally and anyone who needs one!

pallygirl
pallygirl

serrana: my thoughts are with you.

Serrana, I’m so sorry.

If it helps anyone, here is a Pallas cat who is not too sure about the camera in its enclosure.

contrapangloss

Had a really, really odd and kind of awful EMT moment yesterday.

I don’t understand some people. How the hell is playing ‘gotcha’ with the hospital and emergency responders more important than getting the correct help? He never even called 911! We had to do that, to get the right people (and the right number of people) on scene (ER was busy, so they only really had one nurse free…).

How the heck is yelling and brandishing a camera at EMT’s with a little kid in serious pain on their stretcher, screaming about lawsuits if they don’t help for you to haul a conscious and resisting person out of your car NOW appropriate?

Also, there were other things that made the whole mess, even messier. We did end up assisting, once we got our patient taken care of properly and the ambulance back in service.

It’s a mess.

Our original patient, the kidlet, will be fine. He was fantastic.

I’m constantly surprised by how well some of the pediatric patients have things together, compared to adults with the same problems. Not all kids, a lot of them don’t have it together at all, but some kids? Jedi.

Reply to  contrapangloss

Aw, Pallas kitty! Yes, that helps!

@contrapangloss, that’s beyond fucked up. No one should make your job harder, but especially not on purpose.

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

Ugh, sorry that happened. 🙁

Glad the kid is going to be alright.

Ally S

Hugs all around to anyone who needs one.

I’m feeling somewhat better this morning. Also, here’s a picture of what I looked like at the terrible pride event I went to recently: http://i.imgur.com/iykNma6.jpg

It’s the first time I ever made an effort to have a butch lesbian look. That shirt I’m wearing is also the first piece of women’s clothing I’ve ever bought. I’m wearing the whole outfit again today for self-esteem stuff. >_>

serrana

Well, the pride event may have been terrible, but you looked great, Ally. I like that blouse. You rock that shade of green.

Ally, you look good! Your hair is getting so long! You should invest in some cute headbands or barrettes.

Ally S

Oh, green? You can blame that on the terrible photo quality. XD It’s black. I wore an all-black outfit that day. Thanks though c:

Ally S

I definitely want to get a dark green blouse, though. Perhaps some camo stuff as well. I don’t want to look too butch but I like being butch because it conveys parts of my personality that I want to convey.

Reply to  katz

Haha, okay, it looks still looks green on my crappy laptop monitor. Black suits you too. 😀

cloudiah

You look great, Ally! Whatever color your shirt is. XD

contrapangloss

Thanks, Serena and Lurker. The shift captain has our backs, but we don’t really know what’s going to happen with all the mess.

Ally, I’m definitely stealing one of the hugs you’re offering. Thanks for that.

On a more fluffy and happy note: I’m seconding Katz’s barrette idea. You have lovely, large, dark eyes, but the drooping bangs also can be nice…

Silly idea: have you tried pinning up half the bangs, and letting the other side stay down as a half frame for your face? If you part just a little off-center, then use just a touch of liner or mascara about the eyes, it would probably look really, really nice, without loosing the butch part that you like.

I don’t really know anything about fashion, so I could be wrong, maybe very wrong. I also know very little about makeup, so grain of salt?

KathleenB
KathleenB

Hugs and/or good thoughts to everyone who wants them. The hysteroscopy went well – no tumors, fibroids, or other visible problems. All good news, and the follow up is next week.

Ooh, that would be super cute. But it also looks cute as is. I like how wavy it is.

Ally S

I’ve been thinking about asymmetrical bangs for a while. I really just want long hair, though. Would the asymmetry still look good if my hair went down to my back?

contrapangloss

Ally, I personally think asymmetrical bangs and long hair look good, especially if the bangs are just long enough to tuck behind an ear, when necessary.

I’m no expert, though.

Reply to  Ally S

I’ve had asymmetrical bangs with long hair recently. I let my bangs grow because bangs aren’t working for me in general (my hair is getting frizzy as it goes grey) but the overall look worked. For what it’s worth, I have long layers in my hair, so the longest part of my bangs was just a little shorter than the shortest layer.

If I were you I probably wouldn’t cut my bangs at first; you can always cut them later but it’ll be a big pain if you cut your bangs and then later decide you’d prefer them long.

Ally S

Oh, I’m definitely keeping my bangs. I need them in order for my hair to frame my face (even if just partially).

I’m also thinking about getting my hair layered.

Argenti Aertheri

Serrana — *hugs*

That Pallas cat is reminding me of one of those found footage movies. The last thing the protagonist sees is an out of focus cat RIGHT HERE.

Ally, you are rocking the butch look! And idk about bangs, but asymmetrical hair works with it long, or at least, I tell myself mine doesn’t look to horrid when it decides that symmetrical is not a thing it will be doing today!

KathleenB — glad it went well!

Contrapangloss — dafuq? I’m guessing cat accident with camera idiot and combative person in one car and kidlet with adult(s) in the other? And kidlet’s adult called y’all? And THEN asshole with the camera decided to start yelling about lawsuits? Gonna go out on a limb here and guess that said asshole doesn’t want to have to deal with the cat insurance, particularly if asshole was the at fault driver and “oh fuck, I hurt a kid”…cuz assholes gonna asshole.

Glad the kid’ll be fine, and your supervisor has your crew’s back, and I hope asshole gets his comeuppance. Maybe a hefty bill from the insurance company? Either that or that camera ends up recording a confrontational cat and then the feed cuts out…

Argenti Aertheri

Car insurance, cat insurance would be another matter entirely! (Cat health insurance is much cheaper than health insurance for a toy poodle who’s not allowed out unsupervised, go figure. Little dude couldn’t get his mouth around a tennis ball, or scratch, but is more dangerous than a cat cuz DOOOGGGGG!! >.< [tell me, when's the last time you heard of a toy poodle attack?])

cloudiah

What about something like this, Ally? I literally just googled layered hair with bangs. But I thought it had kind of a nice long hair but still kind of butch look about it. XD

cloudiah

(And also seems to go with the nicely tousled look you’ve got in the photo.)

cloudiah

And you could also go full-on Chrissie Hynde.

Clearly I’d rather look at hairstyles than do anything else today.

contrapangloss

Argenti

Camera dude was in no way responsible for kidlet’s problem, other than the fact that he started yelling at us when we were unloading the kidlet.

I’m deeply angry with camera dude, for a variety of reasons that I probably shouldn’t get into here. I will say, though, that I found his behavior callous, with extreme disregard to the needs and safety of the person he was supposedly aiding, other patients, and emergency personnel.

Despite my ire with him, I certainly didn’t mean to imply he hurt the kidlet, other than by being a scary yelling dude, in the ambulance bay at the hospital, who we swiftly got kidlet out of range of.

Argenti Aertheri

Ah, my mistake, and I don’t think I was quite clear enough that I was speculating on the fucked up thought process an asshole may’ve had. And ambulance bay! Unloading not loading! Hence him being in a car and not having called you but you being there!

I feel like an idiot now >.<

Somehow that makes it seem worse though, ambulance bay would make it quite likely there were other people around to get aid from. Should that have been his actual goal.

In that case, I hope he gets his comeuppance for his assholery in the form of cat anger consequences. Because if there's one time cats aren't selfish jerks, it's when it comes to kids.

Serrana, all the hugs.

Ally, great photo! The shirt looks green to me, too, and that deep bluish-green (viridian, I think) suits you.

cloudiah

kittehs, You’ve got a real talent!

Merci, madame, merci!

I call it “making it up as I go along”. 😉

cloudiah

I just want to make it clear that I’m not sucking up to you because you’re an all-powerful mod.

BTW, did you do something new with your hair? It looks terrific. XD

kittehserf MOD

Wait, you’re not sucking up?

MOD RAGE

LOL about the hair, I took that snap last night and thought “Shit, I’m really due to get it cut, it’s all over the place and nary a curl to be seen.”

kittehserf MOD

(Which is to say, much better sucking up, 9/10 for credibility.)

yazikus
yazikus

Hey Mammotheers! An old friend of mine wrote an article on Sociological Images that just got heavily referenced in an article for TV Guide. It is a piece about the GoT & female nudity. The comments over at TV Guide are all kinds of terrible. If anyone feels like heading over to see, http://www.tvguide.com/News/HBOs-Female-Nudity-1084026.aspx

Argenti Aertheri

Not my colors, but looks good on you! Nicely done! (And, no, I’m not sucking up, and neither is this — making it up as you go, and having it work, is, imho, a sign of talent)

Nice, kittehs!

kittehserf MOD

Thank ‘ee, Argenti and serrana!

Look at this gorgeous video I just found – woman reunited with wolves.

Ally S

I finally found a good bandanna, and so out of boredom I decided to try something new with my appearance: http://media.tumblr.com/668a5e805421ddfe006fc06ad9f64e65/tumblr_inline_n8eyk8rESz1snw5na.jpg

The results were silly, but it was fun anyway.

Ally S

Whoa, so today was really weird. I headed up to San Jose with my friend to meet up with some other friends and on the way there we ran into two highly obnoxious white dudebros. The first one was this dude who literally pushed me against the door of the bus while the bus was moving and said “I like your green bandana!” And then he remarked about how he liked my friend’s green hair. He was really rude and invasive. And then he talked to these two Latin@ people and called the woman white. She was like “I’m not white” and he was like “Well, you sure look white! You’re one feisty gal.” All she responded with was “Well, I actually find that pretty offensive” in a very calm but clearly annoyed tone.

And then my friend was confronted by this white dude who asked her for cigarettes. She gave him a few and then he was like “Thanks a lot, man. WHITE POWER!” right in front of this man of color who then became outraged at him. We come back to the same area later (this was a bus stop we had to take both ways for the trip) and we find both of the dudes sitting on a bench being interrogated by a cop. I briefly heard one of them express remorse for getting upset and physically aggressive.

Yeah, I hate San Jose sometimes.

kittehserf MOD

What a creepy pair of losers, Ally. At least they were being given grief by a cop afterward. A touch of instant karma.

contrapangloss

So, we’re going to have some flooding tomorrow, because an ice-dam finally gave way. I’m going to be helping with rescue’s and moves. Peak flooding will be noon, my time. The locals have known about the flood danger for a while now, since the ice dam formed, and we know it’ll be fast enough and strong enough to mess with river banks, based on the height before it gave way.

Any internet hugs and good feelings sent the way of those who get flooded, and to the rest of the rescue crews, would be much appreciated. We’re hoping to be doing less rescues and more relocations, and have everyone safe before we have to use the boats.

So, yeah. Crossing fingers for as safe a day as we can get, and that the waters won’t do too much damage…

wewereemergencies
wewereemergencies

Tons of hugs and thoughts contrapangloss. Floods are fucking scary and I hope destruction is minimal. And of course that no-one is hurt. Best wishes!

Ally S

Speaking as someone who’s been through more than enough floods, I’m sorry to hear about that. I hope everyone is safe and the damage isn’t too extensive. BTW if you don’t mind telling where is the flooding going to happen exactly?

kittehserf MOD

Lots of hugs and good thoughts, contrapangloss!

Best wishes to everyone in the flood area.

BTW, my kittens are all eating again, so they should be better soon.

contrapangloss

Ally, the Mendenhall Valley. Because our population is pretty sparse, and spread out, and the river isn’t too huge, it probably won’t be near as nasty as what you’ve faced. But, it’ll be bad enough. 🙁

Projected rise, last time I talked to the chief, was about 15′ for the river.

NOAA probably has a more recent update. I better go to bed now. Tomorrow will be busy.