a voice for men antifeminist women elliot rodger false accusations FemRAs hypocrisy irony alert lying liars misogyny MRA reddit straw futrelle

Elliot Rodger and Me: The anatomy of a "Honey Badger" smear campaign

ive-had-just-about-enough-of-your-bullshit-1pg07aw

I have a new theory that I think might help to explain why so many Men’s Rights Activists are so obsessed with false accusations of rape. It’s simple: They are so used to making false accusations themselves, about pretty much everything, that it’s hard for them to conceive of someone making an accusation that is actually true.

Naturally, as a critic of the Men’s Rights movement I’m a fairly reliable target for these false charges, and rarely does a day go by in which I don’t learn some new, terrible, and wholly imaginary thing I’m alleged to have said or done. Hell, these days I can barely make it through a Twitter conversation with A Voice for Men’s Dean Esmay without him spouting some grotesque falsehood about me.

The latest accusation from the A Voice for Men crowd – or at least from AVFM’s so-called Honey Badger Brigade – is that all the media talk about Elliot Rodger being an MRA was my fault. Or, as “Honey Badger” Alison Tieman put it in a tweet that she sent to an assortment of media outlets that had written about Rodger and the MRAs,

Tieman’s tweet links to a post on the Honey Badger Brigade blog titled “Feminist media bias, or how Man Boobz caused a media circus,” complete with a little caricature of me. (At least they didn’t depict me as a shirtless, self-flagellating Michael Moore lookalike, this time, or as a giant man-baby with poopy diapers eating a chicken leg.)

The big revelation of the Honey Badger Brigade post? That the first article that connected Eliot Rodger to the Men’s Rights movement included … a link to my blog:

I compiled a list of online articles in a rudimentary timeline, searching for the earliest pieces linking Elliot Rodger to MRAs, and the findings were pretty extraordinary. Likely the first article making this connection was on the Daily Kos, citing a blog. Which blog, you ask? None other than David (Man Boobz) Futrelle’s cutting-edge journalism at wehuntedthemammoth.com.

It gets worse. Of the 16 articles I looked at, eight of them sourced the Daily Kos article either directly or indirectly by citing an article that had cited that same Daily Kos article.

The clear implication of the post is that I was the “source” of the notion that Rodger was an MRA.

There’s just one little problem with that argument, which is that I never said any such thing.

Indeed, when the writer at the Daily Kos published their piece, I had said precisely nothing on the subject of Rodger at all. In fact, my first post on Rodger was published after the Daily Kos piece appeared. That  Daily Kos piece, which was based on original reporting by its author, linked only to my writings about incels, and the link to We Hunted the Mammoth was only one in a multitude of links.

Here’s what I said about Rodger in my first post on the subject:

[Rodger’s video] sounds almost like a parody of the misogynistic beliefs and rhetoric that I write about on this blog. His language and his melodramatic tone both echo the writings of many of those young men who consider themselves “incels.” His anger is the same anger we see from the rejected men who lash out with insults and threats on OkCupid when their often crude advances are turned down. He reminds me of every so-called “nice guy” who is inwardly seething with resentment born of sexual entitlement denied. He even, at one point, calls himself a “gentleman.” He also calls himself an “alpha.”

It is clear that his  resentment at women was stoked by what I call the “new misogyny” and by steeping himself in at least one online community that reaffirmed his exaggerated, unwarranted sense of victimhood. So far we have evidence that he was a commenter at PUAhate, a site ostensibly designed to critique PUAs but which has degenerated into a haven for misogynistic “incels” and angry trolls.

I made no mention of the Men’s Rights movement at all.

In a later post, written after a great deal more information about Rodger had appeared online, I was more explicit in stating that he was not, to the best of anyone’s knowledge, an MRA.

So why did so many in the media describe him as an MRA? Well, it’s not hard to guess: because he was driven by an exaggerated version of the familiar mixture of misogyny and aggrieved entitlement that drives so many MRAs.

As I wrote in my most widely read post on the subject:

While he doesn’t seem to have ever identified as a Men’s Rights activist per se – the only “rights” he seemed to be interested in were his own – his postings online echo the extreme and ignorant denunciations of feminism seen amongst MRAs and other manospherians.

I put it a bit more bluntly in a Reddit comment I wrote after first seeing the Honey Badger Brigade post:

If they’d actually paid attention to anything I’ve written on Rodger they would see that I didn’t call him an MRA; I went out of my way to point out that as far as we know he didn’t read MRA sites.

That said, as he was a regular at PUAhate, he was part of what you might call the MRA extended universe, and much of his ideology came out of the same misogynistic swamp that MRAs inhabit.

I didn’t cause any of this. MRAs caused this by being shitheads, and by thinking “any publicity is good publicity.” This is what MRAs get for supporting and defending AVFM for years, for their Occidental College spamming, for their crusades against an assortment of feminist villains they harassed and slandered. Oh, and for spewing misogyny all day every day.

My blog DOCUMENTS this. They’re the ones saying the shit that I quote. They made their own bed.

Other journalists have used me and my blog as a resource. They incorrectly labeled Rodger an MRA. But they weren’t far off. He was MRA-adjacent.

Over on the Men’s Rights subreddit, the regulars ate up the Honey Badger Brigade post, which seemed to confirm my reputation as some sort of dastardly misandrist boogeyman. None of them seemed to have read a word of anything I’d actually written about Rodger. One Redditor described me thusly:

The Futrella is a desperate character with receding hair and receding appreciation from his Feminist Cohorts of screaming delinquents. …

I do wonder if his followers are real or if he spends all his time between pizza and diet soda masquerading under multiple legends?

A few were calling for my head.

iethatis 6 points 3 days ago (14|8)  AVfM should sue him for damages resulting from the death threats and resulting security costs, and venue change costs resulting from his lies.      permalink     save     report     give gold     reply  [–]guywithaccount 3 points 3 days ago (4|1)  It'd be a tough case to prove.

That’s a bit of an understatement, huh?

Also, for what it’s worth, I don’t have a receding hairline. Even that is a false accusation.

As is Tieman’s remark about the “genocidal ideogogs” [sic]. But that’s a whole other kettle of worms.

EDIT: Oops. I originally neglected to take the difference in time zones into consideration when writing about when the Daily Kos piece appeared. While it did appear before my post, it wasn’t four hours before. I’ve corrected this in the piece.

friday jones
friday jones

Typos alert: “fee” = “free.” Why do my computers always come with a defective R key?!?

Auntie Alias

Speaking of smear jobs, this is nasty. I was watching a video of Steve Brule interviewing Paul Elam. (It’s under Hangouts on the AVFM home page, titled “Tonight! Steve Brule Interviews Paul Elam About the International Conference on Men’s Issues.”)

Elam claimed a member of AVFM’s security team found a note in his mailbox saying something like, “I hope you’re protecting the convention better than you are your home.” He said it caused much angst because the person has a family and that the police are investigating.

He continued, (9:00) “People like bloggers, like David Futrelle, and individuals that are running places on Reddit like againstmensrights are developing and pushing a threat narrative. They have so demonized people who are talking about issues affecting men and boys that they are inspiring very unbalanced, unstable people to act out violently, to make threats.”

What fucking bullshit that is. I don’t believe the mailbox story any more than I believe there were legitimate threats on the hotel. Elam is the only one inciting hatred and violence. How DARE he project that onto David and AMR.

The frickin’ video is an hour long and I haven’t the heart to go further than the 11:40 mark.

Das Pink

Bullying was a media myth with regard to the events at Columbine High School. That’s certainly not a central point of Bancroft’s statement, just something that bothers me quite a lot whenever I see that come up as an aside in an otherwise good text.

Wetherby
Wetherby

Typing “grrrrrrrrr” a lot might well wear them out prematurely.

pallygirl
pallygirl

@Auntie Alias: WTF, I wish some reporters would actually properly investigate this and call him on these claims.

Also:

Elam claimed a member of AVFM’s security team found a note in his mailbox

AVfM has a security team and they are based at Paul’s house???!!!

marci

It’s interesting that they keep accusing David of posting under false names. The way they keep repeating this idea makes me very suspicious. I have a hunch that the reality is that their so-called movement is made up of a large number of non-autonomous participants. I mean, in my experience, when someone wants to insist that you have done something so adamantly when you know you haven’t…it usually means that they have done this thing they accuse you of and feel ashamed or guilty about it. In order to soothe themselves they have to try to convince themselves that everyone else is doing it too, so it’s no big deal.

marci

Huh, sorry David I didn’t mean that to sound like I was talking about you as if you aren’t there.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

Auntie:
Yeah, sure. We’re a real violent community. When Elam gets a threat made from pasted magazine letters that reads “yOu Will STeP On aLl thE LeGOs,” I’ll believe it came from someone who follows this blog.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

@ Marci

The term you’re looking for is “projection”. And yeah, I think that’s what’s going on too.

(Not with the thing about Pauly having a home-based security team made up of AVFM employees who sort his mail for him, though. That’s just hilarious bullshit.)

kittehserf

zoon echon logon wins the thread and the html.

kittehserf

Nothing to do with anything, but these cuddling Furrinati are too sweet not to link.

marci

cassandrakitty: I kind of figured that was what it meant, but is it still the same if the person is knowingly doing it? Like, they obviously know that they are posting multiple comments, threads, etc…but turning around and trying to claim that is what is going on here. It is more than projection isn’t it? I just can’t understand how people can be so dishonest while trying to claim some kind of moral high ground. They must have very little self respect.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

This article got me to break my Mammoth Cherry. (Snerk!)

I think mammoth cherries are peach-sized and frozen.

To be fair, Alison Tieman also thinks that feminists control the power company and sent her a large bill in retaliation for one of her Youtube videos,

When her gas is cut off, she will likely blame the Russian goverment. Which is controlled by feminists.

and she believes that some 90% of men are closeted trans women for some reason.

…because most men aren’t really into this masculinity thing?

I’m going to call the Detroit conference the “con con”

Great, now I imagine Elam as that strip club/brothel tycoon from Moulin Rouge, singing “We do con con con!”.

It’s all in your head, me and not you! We are all cats in a David suit. Some of us are ferrets in cat suits in a David suit.

Don’t forget the poodles!

What is with these guys calling the feMRAs “honey badgers”? It creeps me out in a dirty leering old man kinda way.

Honey badger is a real animal. The nickname is (I think) based on this Internet meme:

marci

zoon echon logon: Good thing I warned my co-worker about random guffaws coming from me while I read this blog. Otherwise I might be looking at a “random” drug test.

sarah
sarah

@ Auntie

I have not filed a FOIA request, (that’s what you meant, right?) but others are on that, at least to my knowledge.

Luzbelitx

Here are some cute dancing badgers with a song of their own <3

Isabelle
Isabelle

I am just surprised feminists have yet to be accused of witchcraft. Methink cats, scented candles and legos are highly suspicious. But some guys have smell the sulfur http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRrZ_w4mNNg

The Stepford Knife
The Stepford Knife

What’s so wrong with having “receding hair” anyway? To suggest that MALE pattern baldness is a fault is MISANDRY.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Hair grows, then hair recedes, YOU CAN’T EXPLAIN IT.

freshlysqueezedcynic
freshlysqueezedcynic

@melee_mel:

it’s actually his fourth act. before the aids denialism, he was also a proponent of intelligent design, and was also an often-mocked right-wing “classical liberal” warblogger.

he just keeps coming back, and every time it’s with some new crankery.

kittehserf

Deano sounds like he’s on a quest to find the dumbest crankery out there.

magnesium
magnesium

I forgot about Typhon’s battle with Feminazi Light and Power Co! Did that ever get resolved? I guess so, since she apparently has electricity now.

I don’t know, actually. I haven’t been on Reddit in quite a while, so I don’t know if it got mentioned on AMR after she initially suggested some sort of feminist utilities conspiracy. She had Fidelbogen assigned to investigate the situation, and we know he’s a level headed guy, so I’m sure it all got worked out.

bulletprooflegs
bulletprooflegs

My fiance was watching Elliot Rodger’s “Retribution” video and I was watching kinda passively then said, “I bet you a dollar he’s PUA or MRA.” This was before learning about the massacre. I came right to your blog, knowing you’d have something to say about it.

Anyway, I think if anyone had even cursory knowledge of MRA ideaology, they’d have made the same connection.

(hello, lurked forever)

Nequam
Nequam

Deano sounds like he’s on a quest to find the dumbest crankery out there.

bluecatbabe
bluecatbabe

Can I be David too? It would be an honour, just as soon as I can get the ferrets into the cat suits and order up some pizza!

Screaming Delinquents – wasn’t that a feminist punk poetry band? Or am I thinking of the Raving Beauties?

It’s hard to keep up when we all have to post so much under so many non-David aliases… oops what a giveaway.

Auntie Alias

I assumed Elam was talking about the local security team assigned to the Detroit conference. Still, WTF? Is that code for Dean Esmay?

@pallygirl,

I had high hopes the Motor City Mudraker reporter would do this. His latest column was quite disappointing.

Speaking of coverage, Elam boasted in the video that ABC News and TIME are coming to cover the press conference. I’m not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

@zoon echon logon

Brilliant and hilarious!

@sarah

Yes, FOIA. My memory sucks. What is the request for?

Hi and welcome, bulletprooflegs! 🙂

sarah
sarah

@Auntie
The police reports for the supposed threats.

Anastasia Maria DiMarca

See now I’m having twitter hashtag ideas. Like #Iamdavidfrutrelle tagged to any post where you’ve been accused of something stupid by MRA’s. ‘Course such a hashtag would be trolled to Hell @_@; so never mind.

@sarah

Oh! I didn’t know those could be accessed. Thanks. That will be interesting…someday. I’d been hoping Steve Neavling would shine a light on that.

sarah
sarah

Well, that’s just the two case numbers Dean provided. They haven’t provided any evidence that the more recent accusations of threats are real, or that they were reported to St Clair Shores or Houston PD.

Auntie Alias

I’m most interested in the alleged threats against the DoubleTree. There’s been such a shroud of secrecy.

sarah
sarah

Yeah, me too.
I called the hotel manager they have been libeling, but have received no response.

Auntie Alias

Do you mean the manager at the VFW? Elam said on the video that the “commander” there was very supportive of the conference.

sarah
sarah

They have libeled both the hotel staff and the VFW staff.

me and not you
me and not you

So, off topic from the post, but this is kinda relevant to WHTM generally. It’s not hilarious, but it is amusing:

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

@marinerachel

Kind of telling though that the mooooovement has chosen to refer to the women belonging to it by a different, ridiculous label than they attach to male majority. If that doesn’t tell you you’re a mascot and sideshow I don’t know what does.

I think this is exactly why it rubs me the wrong way. I’m well aware a honey badger is a real animal – it’s the cutesyness of the name, and the fact they need to single out feMRAs as being different in this way, that rubs me wrong.

sparky
sparky

“Feminist Cohorts of screaming delinquents.” Is tht what a group of feminists is called? A school of fish, a murder of crows, a cohort of screaming delinquents of feminists.

Wait, what? I knew she thought that her utility bill was part of the vast feminist conspiracy, but I didn’t know that Fidelbogen would be playing the roll of Inspector Clouseau.

I mean, seriously, that sounds like the plot of some surrealist comedy film.

daintydougal
daintydougal

Are they making up these obscene lies about david/us because they don’t like it when people point out warren farrell’s incest and abuse apologia?
Like, they know that makes them look bad so they try and smear others, but they don’t actually care if anyone is actually supporting/committing abuse, and they’re even less interested in actual victims, they just need to ‘win’.
Pretty gross.

Isabelle
Isabelle

A pod of feminists would work better as a metaphor, since that’s the word for an all female group of orcas.

@sparky,

so in that scenario, we’re the Pink Panther, right?

grumpycatisagirl

Ha ha ha. This wins this week’s whole Internet.

Gen
Gen

Well, they’ve falsely accused David of supporting kiddie porn, child abuse and now genocide. You’re right about the projection. They fear false accusations in part because they know they make so many of them and they’d hate to be treated the way they treat others.

Yeah, what the hell is that all about?

The weapons-grade projection in the manosphere gets me every. time.

And what’s this about Dean Esmay and AIDS denialism?

D. Happy
D. Happy

Hunh? You wrote an entire blog that you were falsely accused of being the “first” to link Rodger to the MRM? Wow. Slow day? And so we should now draw the conclusion that the MRM campaign against false accusations and the lack of due process (for which there are now a score of lawsuits) has no value?… Again, wow.

GrumpyOldMan
GrumpyOldMan

PROJECTION
One of my favorite sayings: When you point the fingers, you have three pointing back at you.
I had a high school friend who used to say, “Don’t judge others by yourself.”
Everywhere I look, particularly in the manosphere, I see tons of projection; people who seem to say, Well, if we were in their position, we would have done thus-and-so so they MUST be doing thus-and-so. I don’t want to start getting into politics, but this seems to be excruciatingly common among conservatives. The so-called IRS scandal seems to be based on the idea that “Well, if we had the White House, we’d try to find ways to use the IRS to harass progressives, so they must be using it to harass conservatives.” I haven’t looked for it among progressives but I’m sure it’s there.
MRAs will say things like “All feminists are crazy, angry bitches who spread false stories and demean men,” demonstrating in the comment itself all the faults that they accuse their opponents of committing: being angry, making false statements, demeaning women.
In fact, I would say that without projection the MRM would be practically mute. Wouldn’t that be awful?

GrumpyOldMan
GrumpyOldMan

“The weapons-grade projection in the manosphere gets me every. time.”
I’m jealous that I didn’t think up “weapons-grade projection” — what a great phrase.

Stephen Jones (@steverific)

Just wondering, have you taken those mainstream media journalists to task for misrepresenting your words?
Don’t get me wrong, this “why is everybody against me?” article is great and all, but have you taken steps to defend your journalistic integrity?

Auntie Alias

Oh FFS. JudgyBitch published an article on AVFM titled “Is David Futrelle covering for violent feminists?” This supposed gotcha is because he didn’t notice some allegedly genocidal posts made in the now defunct RadFemHub after looking at the poorly-organized Agent Orange files.

Really? That’s supposed to be damning? Methinks AVFM is flailing desperately for some reason.

LBT
LBT

RE: Ann Morgan

they then went off on the author Marion Zimmer Bradley, who allegedly molested her daughter.

ALLEGEDLY? I thought it was pretty fucking clear that she did. Multiple times.

RE: Das Pink

Bullying was a media myth with regard to the events at Columbine High School.

I think Bancroft was not neccesarily drawing a correlation between Columbine and bullying, merely that when people talk about bullying or school violence (which are two separate phenomena), they ignore the gender dynamics. The sentence is ambiguous. (And also, I have a hard time believing Bancroft is saying school shootings happened due to bullying, since he’s talking about abuse and talks a LOT about how abusers use all sorts of excuses to justify their violent behavior, regardless of how true those excuses are.)

Taino
Taino

Its nine days until the conference and they are digging in

me and not you: We should send that video to that guy who claimed there was no dating advice for men before the internet. (And check out the fiestaware they’re washing at 8:15.)