antifeminism antifeminist women gross incompetence lying liars MRA oppressed men

The E-Day Concert that Wasn’t: The Canadian Association for Equality turns a PR disaster into a PR catastrophe

o-EDAY_large3

MRAs seem to think that they can spin their way out of pretty much anything. And on the internet, particularly in their own little echo chamber, they can kind of get away with it. It’s when they venture out into the real world that they run into some trouble.

Take, for example, the mad spinning that accompanied the implosion of the Canadian Association for Equality’s “E Day” concert scheduled for last weekend. CAFE, you may recall, is a Canadian Men’s Rights group that’s probably most famous for organizing a series of talks by Men’s Rights-friendly folks on Canadian campuses that, well, caused a tiny bit of a stir.

Oh, sorry. The group says that even though its “focus is currently on men and boys … [W]e do not consider ourselves a Men’s Rights Group.”

Anyway, so this non-Men’s Rights group decided to hold a concert on Toronto Island celebrating “Equality Day,” a holiday they made up just for the occasion. They found a venue, got some sponsors and even managed to convince a bunch of bands to sign on.

Everything was ready to go until a few days before the concert was scheduled to happen, when some of the people who had been roped into the event discovered just what they had gotten themselves involved with.

A headline from the Huffington Post sums up what happened next with admirable succinctness:

Men's Rights Concert In Toronto Cancelled Upon Discovery It Was A Men's Rights Concert

The exodus from E-Day kicked off after a post appeared on the lefty Canadian news site Rabble.ca pointing out what CAFE was really about. Musicians and sponsors quickly distanced themselves from the event, and CAFE lost its venue as well.

CAFE’s response to all this? A press release stating:

CAFE received overwhelming support from musicians, sponsors and the general public for Equality Day. After several months of productive collaboration, the original venue Artscape Gibralter-Point cancelled the use of their location after receiving a small number of misinformed complaints.

That’s a rather … odd way to describe what happened. According to a good number of those who had originally signed on for the concert, it was CAFE that was actively spreading misinformation about their own event and hiding its Men’s Rights agenda.

The musical group Giraffe posted a statement on Facebook saying:

We feel that we were not fully informed about what it was that is being supported here, and also that calling it a festival that celebrates “equality” as opposed to “men’s equality” was intentionally misleading to us in it’s effort to entice us to play this show.

Hogtown Brewers, one of the sponsors, offered a similar explanation for why they pulled out. “We’re kinda surprised that an event that built itself on being for equality turned out to be anything but that,” the president of the company told the The Star. “The minute that it came to our attention that it wasn’t a concert in line with our values, we moved to remove our support. We regret any involvement.”

Meanwhile, a spokeswoman for Artscape, the venue that was to have originally held the event, told The Globe and Mail that

[t]he premise of the event as it was given to us was a fair and equitable event that was family-friendly and a lovely music festival. It has since turned political and we anticipated that there could be health and safety concerns as well.

Perhaps the most amazing revelation: Jagermeister, which had been listed as a sponsor on CAFE’s publicity materials, said it had never agreed to be part of the event in the first place:

CAFE’s creative, er, spinning continued in an interview the group’s outreach director Denise Fong gave to NowToronto. I’m not even going to summarize this one. Go read it.

A scaled down E-Day celebration of sorts did go ahead last weekend. It consisted of some CAFE volunteers standing on a corner handing out pamphlets and talking to passersby about their support of “boys, men and families.” (That’s a strangely limited notion of equality, huh?)

In their press release last week, CAFE announced that

Equality Day musical activities will be postponed to next Sunday, June 8. Details to be announced.

So far no details have been announced. But, hey, they’ve still got a couple of days to go.

On a totally unrelated note, I will be holding “E-Kwalitee Day” in my apartment sometime this afternoon. I am proud to announce that I have managed to book some outstanding musical acts for this extravaganza. They don’t know it yet, but I have written their names down in my appointment book.

Here’s the headliner:

I support kittens, cats and families. Ask me why!

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

How are these guys not in jail!?

kittehserf

we anticipated that there could be health and safety concerns as well

Ayup. Given people would have been knee-deep in bullshit, that’d be a given.

Delighted to hear these clowns had another FAIL when people found out their real agenda.

This CAFE makes Starbucks’ dregs taste good.

kittehserf

From the HuffPo article:

In an interview with Vice, E-Day concert organizer, and CAFE board member, Gene Hughes denied knowledge of the Elliot Rodger shooting (“Was it over a divorce?”) and he similarly told the Globe “It’s more about the party.”

Another MRA piece of shit. Pretending he’d heard nothing about the murders? Pretending he thought it must be about a divorce (with the heavy implication that of course men are driven to murder if women dare divorce them)?

Legos all the way for that scumbag.

gillyrosebee

They need more attention, more publicity and press. More people need to hear their loathsome ideas.

DeutschundMusik
DeutschundMusik

Sorry, David, I can’t give you full credit for making this article of yours so extremely funny, because the subject-matter is already inherently hilarious.

Lea
Lea

The best part of this for me thus far has been watching certain people who have denied ties to the MRM get busted being active in this “Equality Day” debacle.

Good times.

Ally S

I love how it was Steph Guthrie who started all of this because I know how much MRAs hate her guts. They got burned big time.

breadandrosesblogger

Aww, what a pity.

Lea
Lea

Right about now I’m guessing that CAFE is getting a message like this one from Jagermeister’s lawyers:
comment image

“Step away from the logo.”

cloudiah

Karen Straughan is positively apoplectic in the comments of that NowToronto article. She keeps calling people sh1tbags.

gillyrosebee

Okay, so (against my own usual advice) I went and read some of the comments for that interview piece. And there’s the usual stuff, but John the Otter showed up with this gem (in response to someone challenging them on what the MRM actually does for men):

Encourage young boys to go to university? You mean encourage kids to take on massive debt for the possible benefit getting a job later in life. No – that would be bad advice.

Um…

But, hey, yeah. It’s feminists who are keeping those boys down and not encouraging them to get the educations that can lead to good, well paying careers. What feminists do is encourage girls to see that the possibility of a better life is worth working for. And the leaders of the MRM wants to tell boys that it’s gonna be hard and expensive, so never mind homework or anything like that, just go ahead and play some more video games. And at the same time they want to have an (endless) whinge about how girls do so much better than boys at finishing college and getting advanced degrees, and that totally proves misandry!!!

pallygirl
pallygirl

So if men’s rights people are discouraging men (don’t think that males is the right term here) from entering college, and this discouragement is having an effect, it is entirely disingenious to then turn around and complain that too many women are graduating.

Colour me surprised.

sparky
sparky

So they put Jägermeister’s logo on their publicity materials as a sponsor without Jägermeister’s knowledge or consent.

Why do they keep doing this? They’re going to get sued some day.

Not that I’m particularly worried about an MRA organization get sued, it’s just, stupidity beyond belief.

Aren’t these the same people who used the Bryony House logo and a police department logo on their posters without their knowledge and consent?

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Why do they keep doing this? They’re going to get sued some day.

And it will be proof of the feminazi conspiracy, of course.

I think that was Men’s Rights Edmonton.

Gen
Gen

Yes, and to be very, VERY clear, CAFE and AvfM are not, I repeat, NOT in any way affiliated. In any way. Ahem.

sparky
sparky

auggzillary and emilygoddess: Oh yeah, now I remember Paul Elam saying, “your consent is not required.”

All these organizations are starting to blend together.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

David, I’m glad you wrote this and added it to the archives for future reference.

It was Men’s Rights Halifax that ripped off the police and Byrony House logos for their Don’t Be That Baby Dumper/Child Abuser/Sex Worker posters. Same shit, different pile.

In a country with a fraction of the U.S. population, I just can’t understand why there is a disproportionate amount of MRM “activism” in Canada.

opium4themasses
opium4themasses

None of these MRAs, PUAs, CAFEs, want to be shown as associates of each other. I keep thinking of the People’s Front of Judea vs the Judean People’s Front. They all speak the same language and sing the same song. They just disagree on a verse here or there.

The AVFM crew has been heavily brigading comments to everything tangentially related. Nice to see them being forced to show their hand I stead of faux a reasonableness.

sarah
sarah

Yeah, currently the spin AVfM is pushing in the comments is that the police are lying that no threats have been reported, and that its typical for hotels and the police to out and out lie to prospective guests and reporters who call for quotes to put in their articles.

wtfdude
wtfdude

MRAs (CAFE or whatever) don’t care about consent? SHOCKING. /s

Jagermeister should sue them. Expect a donation page targeted at feminists to pay the legal fees.

Lea
Lea

…the police are lying…

Of course they are.
Because the police are known to care so much about progressives and are clearly willing to lie to cover for them if they go all domestic terroristy.

*eyeroll*

weirwoodtreehugger

It’s pretty pathetic. I mean, I strongly disagree with TERFs but that doesn’t make them not feminists. You can disagree with a part of a movement while still acknowledging that is a part of that movement. In fact, to do anything else is disingenuous.

Ally S

YES. Thank you for pointing that out, context aside.

leftwingfox

The way the’ve been “hiding” Justin Trottier’s role at CAFE has been absolutely hilarious:

Viscaria
Viscaria

@Auntie Alias

Right?! I think maybe it’s because we endlessly compare ourselves to the US, and because we are, in some ways, slightly more progressive, reactionaries see it as an example of feminism gone much too far.

Noadi

Splitters!

grumpycatisagirl

Oh, wow, the freethoughtsblog says that the Denise person on the phone is *engaged* to the Justin person on the phone.

Sorry, I mean she is engaged to Justin Trottier, who is not at all the same Justin as one the phone.

Toolbox
Toolbox

I’m looking through the comments. The amount of gaslighting that goes on is headache inducing.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Big slap in the face Irony: when they finally get sued, all the money will go to groups that help male victims that were started by feminists.

sarah
sarah

Yeah, I am being accused of making the threats now because I keep exhorting conference attendees to report the threats if they are, in fact, real.

I, too, am surprised no one has been sued over the numerous forgeries.

takshak
takshak

not enough guns to fondle?

Wetherby
Wetherby

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before (very possibly in one of the Halifax discussions), but the openly racist British National Party were indeed sued by Unilever after using one of their trademarks without permission in an explicitly political advertisement, and reportedly settled out of court for £170,000 – a sum that they didn’t exactly have lying around in spare cash.

So when Elam claims “your consent is not required”, what exactly is he basing this on?

fauxmy
fauxmy

welp, thanks for reminding me of how much i detest the old huffpost. it was bad enough when they merged with aol, but the move several months ago requiring that we log into HP with a verified facebook acct and give them our identities, phone numbers as well as access to our friends was a big goodbye message for me. i have not even looked at them in months, but i will say that participation appears quite low.

the other thing that pushed me over the edge, was the invasion of the MRKCP (that’s mens rights keyboard commando pestilence) which can be seen in full force on the linked article and those on HP considered as relative. the logical fallacies and duplicitous thinking abounds, and makes me want to run. far, far away. now, i would just like to mount my menstrual horse and escape to someplace where we both could get high.

I’m just wondering why Jaegermeister? I mean, the logo is a stag’s head and I guess that’s pretty manly, but why not, I don’t know, Red Bull or Bud Light?

Lady Mondegreen

Wait, we’re overlooking the big question here.

Does that cat do Xena’s theme song?

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Katz, isn’t CAFE a student group? Jager is very popular with college boys.

Or, yeah, it could be the manliness implied by “master hunter”.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

Viscaria, that makes perfect sense.

Robert
Robert

Jagermeister always reminds me of the Jagermonsters from Girl Genius.

Who, despite being actually monstrous, are more appealing than MRAs.

Back on topic, I’ve read the piece at FreeThought Blogs. The image of someone asking Denise (IIRC) a question by telephone, then hearing her asking Justin Not-Trottier the question, hearing him tell her the answer, then hearing her repeat the answer – that’s just ludicrous. As my mother would say, they have no idea what they look like.

weirwoodtreehugger

Plus, Jag is German and thus appeals to the white supremacist that resides within most MRAs.

binjabreel
binjabreel

Hey, have you guys seen this? There’s a bill in California mandating that colleges have written policies on sexual violence that include a part about both parties having to explicitly consent, and Breitbart reported it as requiring written consent for sex.

Now this bullshit is all over the Internet.

Just Give Up
Just Give Up

Because of these groups, I wish I would have died.

8 years of domestic violence with one attack that almost killed me.

I am a female. My abuser is being prosecuted. The abuse got worse.

I tell women now just don’t bother telling it asking for help, just go home and honestly give up and wait until your time to go.

Nobody should have to live what I’ve been through.

I wish I would have died. I don’t care to try anymore

enhancedvibes
enhancedvibes

@fauxmy

That’s when I stopped posting on huffpost as well. It kind of disgusted me that their reasoning behind “verifying” your account with Facebook would promote civility is absurd especially given the vitriol of right wingers on that site. And the MRAs on there, whew boy, don’t get me started! *sigh*

marinerachel
marinerachel

Hey now, I get that you feel that way. You’re allowed to. It sounds like you tried very hard for a very long time to improve your circumstances and that there was little support. It sounds heartbreaking and exhausting. There are people who want to help you though. You’re not all alone in this.

marinerachel
marinerachel

Yeah, what can we do to help, Just Give Up?

Ally S

@Just Give Up

Please let us know if you would like support of any kind. I am so sorry to hear you went through all of that.

pallygirl
pallygirl

Shit, that feels like going backwards in time. That was a far, far worse place than now.

In what country are you based?

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

That’s your abuser talking. Abusers are masters of convincing you that you don’t matter, that you don’t deserve better, and so on. They want you to hate yourself, so you won’t stand up for yourself when they hurt you. BUT IT’S NOT TRUE. You deserve to live, and to be happy, and you will get there. You wouldn’t be trying to get away if some part of you didn’t still believe that you were worth fighting for.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Just give up

I am so sorry but you or anyone shouldn’t give up because giving up, to me, is the same as being dead.

hellkell
hellkell

GOOD.

And to hell with the CAFE scumbag who’s denying knowledge of Rodgers. Way to to try to be coy, asshole.

piratejennie

@Just Give Up

Adding my voice to the offers of support. My heart goes out to you and I am so sorry for what you have endured.

And you are absolutely right. No one should have to experience that type of abuse. There is an enormous community ready to help in any way we can.

1 2 3 8