a voice for men antifeminism doxing harassment men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA not-quite-explicit threats not-quite-plausible deniability paul elam playing the victim terrorism threats warren farrell

A Voice for Men's Threatener-in-Chief Paul Elam demands that feminists pay security costs for his group's conference

Paul Elam, Man of Peace
Paul Elam, Man of Peace

Well, you have to admit, he’s got chutzpah.

You may have heard that A Voice for Men is sponsoring what it calls the First International Conference on Men’s Issues later this month in Detroit, featuring such notable celebrity speakers as “internationally recognized writer, lecturer and videographer” Karen “Girl Writes What” Straughan, “former mental health professional” Paul “Boy Yells A Lot” Elam, Warren “Boys Aren’t Hurt By Incest a Lot” Farrell, and, well, a collection of other equally exciting names.

But there have been some doubts about it happening from the start. It took some time for the AVFMers to sell enough tickets to enable them to cover the costs of the event.

And now it the costs of the event are going up further: according to a letter that Elam has posted to his site, the hotel that will be hosting the conference has gotten “numerous calls and threats” of a violent nature because of the conference, and is demanding that AVFM cover the costs of additional security at the event.

So Elam has decided that feminists should pay some of these costs, in order to prove they’re “not like that.”

The death threats from feminists, in the attempt to silence these esteemed speakers, has resulted in the conference incurring tens of thousands of dollars in additional security costs.

We plan on launching a fundraiser tomorrow to address those needs, but I want to give the feminists who stand by free speech and assert decisively that these thugs do not represent what feminism is about, to have an early shot at helping us address the gender issues that impact men and boys in an open forum.

He’s even set up a special Paypal button “for feminists only.”

Excuse me?

Let’s be clear here: Death threats are bad. Other sorts of threats are bad. Harassment is bad. Shutting down talks given by people you don’t like is bad. Whoever made the threats against AVFM’s conference, feminist or not, deserves to be prosecuted.

But as someone who has never promoted violence or threats of violence or any form of harassment aimed at MRAs, and who has in fact spoken out against this on numerous occasions, I’m not actually responsible, even indirectly, for the threats against AVFM’s conference. (I haven’t even written about the conference before.) And neither is any other feminist who’s “not like that.”

Indeed, the idea that we should bankroll AVFM’s conference is a bit like asking anti-racist activists to fund a KKK rally because someone or other sent threats to the Klan.

AVFM, as I have documented rather throroughly, is a hateful organization motivated by a deeply misogynistic ideology. Its rhetoric is consistently threatening, designed to intimidate opponents into shutting up and going away. Elam himself — the master of the not-quite-legally actionable threat — once famously told one opponent that

I find you so pernicious and repugnant that the idea of fucking your shit up gives me an erection. …

Your only real hope is to keep your mouth shut and pretend AVfM and register-her.com does not exist for as long as you can. …

We are coming for you … .

It’s a group whose main form of “activism” has always been harassing individual women; indeed, the Register-Her.com sitte referenced in the above quote (currently offline and being rebuilt) was a phony “offenders registry” that posted the names and some of the personal information of AVFM’s female enemies alongside profiles of serial killers and sexual abusers. AVFM seemed to make a special point of picking vulnerable targets, often college students, evidently feeling that these women would be easier to intimidate.

AVFM has tried to destroy the lives and livelihoods of numerous other enemies, in at least one case through allegedly illegal means.

The site has also participated enthusiastically in misogynistic internet hate-orgies directed at outspoken women like Rebecca Watson and Anita Sarkeesian, women who received and who are still receiving numerous violent threats of rape and murder.

On one occasion, joining up with a hate campaign already heavily populated with white supremacists, Elam targeted a recent college grad for allegedly boasting on her blog that she’s been actively discriminating against white men in her job at the Georgetown Admissions Office. The blog was an obvious hoax and the woman in question had nothing to do with it. Even former KKK leader David Duke realized this before Elam did.

And we can’t forget that AVFM hosted a terrorist manifesto in its activism section for several years, written by Thomas Ball, a Men’s Rights Activist who hoped that his dramatic suicide – he burned himself to death on the steps of a courthouse – would inspire other MRAs to start firebombing courthouses and police stations.

So boys, we need to start burning down police stations and courthouses. … the dirty deeds are being carried out by our local police, prosecutors and judges. These are the people we pay good money to protect us and our families. And what do we get for our tax money? Collaborators who are no different than the Vichy of France or the Quislings of Norway during the Second World War. All because they go along to get along. They are an embarrassment, the whole lot of them. And they need to be held accountable. So burn them out. …

You need to flatten them, like Wile E. Coyote. They need to be taught never to replace the rule of law. BURN-THEM-OUT!

(Emphasis mine.)

AVFM finally removed the manifesto from its “activism” section shortly after the Boston Marathon bombing brought the issue of domestic terrorism back into the limelight. But the site still hosts numerous articles glorifying the author of this manifesto.

Oh, and those associated with AVFM are not above harassing their male critics as well. I get a lot of weird, creepy and threatening emails and comments. It’s rare that the senders are dumb enough to do it under their own name. But that was the case with a creepy and threatening voicemail message I received at 1:38 AM one winter night from a longtime AVFM fan and tireless poster-paster that Elam once described as a “One Man Army” and “an MRA’s MRA.”

And this is the organization that expects feminists like me to pay for its security costs?

I don’t think so.

titianblue
titianblue

Has the chew-toy gone? Since blogs are so harmless, I was hoping he’d post details of his place of employment, too.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

@WhatIsThisGravitasOfWhichYouSpeak:

Same here!

Truth be told, I have never played D&D, but I would love to get introduced to the game via ridiculous concepts like:

Disposable Men: An alternate title for NPC warriors, who are little more than cannon fodder.

The Friendzone: An area effect spell (okay, more of a NIce Guy(TM) term, but don’t take this away from me).

Men vs. Females: A legendary war between human beings and some alien, monstrous race of distinctly non-human creatures (unlike MRAs, Tolkien was at least consistent in capitalising the word Men when referring to the human race as a whole).

Betas: Commoners, or maybe serfs? Then again, beta is used both as a term of sympathy and of ridicule, so heck if I know.

Biological Imperative: Character alignment, I suppose?

weirwoodtreehugger

Hahahahaha! I do believe that was my first run in with him. Unless he’s successfully socked before.

WhatIsThisGravitasOfWhichYouSpeak
WhatIsThisGravitasOfWhichYouSpeak

@ Anarchonist

Well, in that vein, we should probably have:

Alphas as PCs

Matriarchy as the overall big bad organisation

Box Cutters as legendary weapons

Females simply have to be slatternly penguins

Scented candles as artifacts of doom

Damn, this is more mammoth memes than MRA terminology. Ah, well!

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

The way this article is written, it sounds like Elam contacted The Detroit News himself to give his bullshit story credibility.

Ugh, and now MRAs are gonna be whipping out that article as proof that feminists are evil or whatever, like they’ve been doing with the Toronto protest. I’d better bookmark this post for debunking.

Death threat. What’s fun about that? What kind of mind do you need to think of that?

MRA projection at its finest. Death threats are what they would do, so it must be what their opponents were planning.

I actually thought she might be kind of sincere.

Even if she is sincere, what we have here is sort of a “boy who cried wolf” scenario: she’s been such an enthusiastic cheerleader for the MRM and their tactics that if people are suspicious of her motives here, she has only herself to blame.

They can trace phone calls,
call me

JudgyBitch, master of espionage!

Marie
Marie

@chris

You guys all know the AVfMers and their ways better than I do, but is it possible that JB is sincere and on the level and has some genuine fellow feeling for another woman who she thinks may be in trouble?

I’ve never talked to her outside this thread, but from what I’ve heard, I doubt it.

@mildymagnificent

Hands up all you man-haters.

I know I must be one of these dreadful harpies – the fact that I’m still madly in love with the man I’ve been with for nigh on 40 years is Entirely Irrelevant. Irrelevant I say.

well, I’m a lesbian, so I think I took a bonus in man-hating 😉

@david

Yep. Peter was a Pell.

huh. Wow. I guess I should have guessed, from all the isms.

Fade

gad peter is boring. plz paragraph break.

but i will say about this

.Still haven’t found what ableist means and is likely just some word you pulled out of your butt because it has no meaning

ableist means discrimination or bigotry towards disabled people. that is all. i saved you from that horrible google thing.

You should be more like Le Pen because at least she wants to protect her country’s culture and not have it overrun with foreign invaders.

troll to english: i am xenophobic and probably racist

You showed your true colours.You are just as prejudiced as a KKK member

troll to eng: decent people think the KKK is bad right? Okay, so *you’re* just like the KKK for insulting my fakey french name!

.They just do not want Minors to be taught or indoctrinated into certain things and don’t believe in homosexual marriage (either do I) but otherwise you are free to do as you please

troll to english: gay people existing without being denied rights is just like indoctrinating children. Also, if straight people have rights everyone is free to do what you want because I hate gay people and don’t care if they’re denied rights

And let me remind you that in most of the world homosexuality is illegal so don’t criticise liberal Russia

troll to eng: If some countries are worse than russia in their treatment of LBGTQIAP+ people, then russia is a liberal paradise.

Elections are meaningless and it didn’t matter if Obama or Romney won because they all end up doing the same thing and fool you into believing they are different.I

tell that to a disabled queer girl who was biting her nails election night,, wondering if she’d still have bodily autonomy tomorrow.

just got to the peter being pell part wow. i did not see that coming

sparky
sparky

“Chipmouse” and SCOTUS is completely fake and staged.

That was hilarious.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Peter LaCroix, if you’re going to throw random, incoherent accusations at the straw-feminists in your head, can you do it somewhere else?

Very nice little animal in the US called a Chipmouse. Very cute like a little squirrel. I have to go leave some nuts for them because I see some babies but don’t want them to become too tame. Before I could stop it and run over a nasty cat grabbed one and ran under a bush. I chased it and shook the bush and the cat dropped it before killing it and it ran down a hole to its home.

1) Chipmunk
2) What?

Also the “female” thing doesn’t even make sense when I read what you wrote. You said men had to clean up after the mess made by females (feminism). Are you seriously suggesting that little girls are partially responsible? WUT even

Females are guilty of feminism the moment they emerge from the womb. Otherwise they would have chosen to be boys!

I always thought the white knight was a cross between knight and paladin, and mangina… I dunno, sounds sort of like a magic user. Be it as it may, I really enjoyed the D&D and Pathfinder talk there.

In addition to the traditional alignment system, male characters must plot their alignment on a scale of feminist – antifem and meek – aggressive. A White Knight is aggressive-feminist, while Manginas are weak-feminist. Loveshys are meek-antifem, MRAs are aggressive-antifem. PUAs are neutral-antifem, I guess, since they seem more interested in gaming the matriarchy than changing it.

@ME and not you, thank you for pointing all that out. I would also point out that genocide against Native Americans has never stopped – Indian Schools, forced assimilation, even the current underfunding of the Indian Health Services, widespread poverty, shortened life expectancy and rape tourism are all taking their toll.

Also, it creeps me the fuck out that the Bureau of Indian Affairs is in the Department of the Interior (alongside things like the National Park Service) – like our native peoples are just another natural resource to be managed…

Unlikely, since he’s terrible at hiding his true intentions. Frankly I’m surprised this one went so long before melting down.

contrapangloss

Oh, so that was the Pell of which you all spake! Just woke up to catch up. 🙂

… Pell was kind of boring, then suddenly the hilarious conspiracy stuff came zooming out of the woodwork.

brooked
brooked

Yes, he seemed almost mythical in stature. Very exciting stuff.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

Damn… That was Pell? I’ve met a legend (of sorts)! I’m in awe (of sorts)! No more a thing of lore long past, the ancient troll has arisen and proven to the world that yes! A thousand times yes! Feminists and liberals and chipmunks (i.e. chipmice) all speak of one thing and one thing only: the picture truly was of Uncle Monty! All hail the French Race and Freedom Fries!

…of sorts.

@WhatIsThisGravitasOfWhichYouSpeak

Okay, now we have to make this happen.

@emilygoddess:

An additional alignment system. And it sounds… glorious.

Now we need to make this happen.

weirwoodtreehugger

Now that I’ve had my very own experience with Pell I feel like a legit member of the community. It’s heartwarming really.

takshak
takshak

*hmph* everyone got a piece of Pell-flesh while I was busy. I feel left out. But now my cat would like his own chipmouse.

And with that, We have reached Stupidity Inception.

My experience with various reality denialists indicates that it’s an infinite process.. Fractal Stupidity, it’s equally stupid no matter what scale you look at it.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Yep. Peter was a Pell.

I’ll be damned. A run-in with…greatness?

I’ve met a legend (of sorts)! I’m in awe (of sorts)!

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I kind of feel like a usurper myself. I’ve been reading for a long time, but only actively posting for, what, a week? It feels like too much, too soon!

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

And an offering to the blockquote mammoth! I’m hitting all the high points today.

cloudiah

In case anyone was wondering whether or not judgybitch was sincere… She’s only sincere about helping AVfM doxx yet another young woman.

hellkell
hellkell

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA….no. The day that cheerleader for the MRM is sincere about anything, I will eat a flipflop.

hellkell
hellkell

Have some lunch, blockquote monster.

Shaun Day
Shaun Day

Can anyone explain use of the phrase “tinfoil territory” without making it ableist? Also how big is the stable? I’ve been gone for a while.

Dvärghundspossen

Despite not being a native speaker I think I know this one, because there are corresponding expressions in Swedish. Conspiracy theorists who believe that the government not only check all your e-mail etc but also have secret devices with which to read your mind make tinfoil hats in order for their brainwaves to be unreadable by the man. Therefore, a tinfoil hat is a conspiracy theorist, and going into tinfoil territory means you’re entering the realm of far-fetched conspiracy theories.
Technically, I guess you’re more likely to believe that the government can read your mind if you actually have a mental illness like paranoid schizophrenia than if you’re merely a conspiracy fan, but I always hear these expressions in connection with conspiracy theories.

magnesium
magnesium

Well it looks like this little stunt earned Elam another year of not finding a real job. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/03/mens-rights-activists-blame-feminists-for-alleged-threats-against-detroit-confab/

Of course, the Detroit Police and owner of the hotel know nothing of these threats but if MRA’s know anything, it’s that lack of evidence equals proof.

titianblue
titianblue

Oooh, I’m chuffed to have been part of the Pell take-down.

The biography of Christopher Pell needs updating now that we know he originally comes from Monaco & speaks English, French and Italian.

Fibinachi

Somewhat amusingly, tinfoil is conductive.

Wearing a tinfoil hat would make it easier to scan someone’s brain.

*Jaw drop* Peter was a Pell? I’ll get on it right away! If anyone wants to help, toss me links to the other threads he pooped in. I don’t want to miss anything.

Fibinachi

Uhm. Not that I have a devive that lets me do that. At all. Nope.

Cliff Pervocracy
Cliff Pervocracy

(From magnesium’s link)
A police spokesman told The Detroit News that the hotel had contacted the department about hiring off-duty officers to provide security, but he told the newspaper that police had not been notified about any threats against the hotel or the conference.

The hotel’s owner told the newspaper he was unaware of the conference and any threats made against it, but he said it wasn’t unusual for hotels to require additional security for some events.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

@katz – Peter showed up on the CoAlpha thread here , but I don’t think he dropped any biographical info. It was mainly just patronizing BS.

Flying Mouse
Flying Mouse

Ninja’d!

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

Was it Peter or Jules that I thought might be Pell due to the lack of quotation skills? If it wasn’t Peter, might want to give Jules a sock check.

tinyorc

Hahahaha, Esmay comes across equal parts paranoid and petulant in that Raw Story article.

Also, where is my cut of the multi-billion dollar hate industry that is feminism, guys? I’ve been a feminist blogger for over three years and I have received exactly £70 for my trouble. ARE YOU LOT KEEPING IT FROM ME!?

titianblue
titianblue

And this is where Pell entered this thread https://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2014/06/01/a-voice-for-mens-threatener-in-chief-paul-elam-demands-that-feminists-pay-security-costs-for-his-groups-conference/comment-page-2/#comment-501462 shortly followed by the whole indignation at being accused of mansplaining and claims that French is a race 🙂

tinyorc

Guys, the letter has disappeared from the AVfM website! Looks like someone realised it looked like the least legit thing in the whole world.

ReadyorNot
ReadyorNot

Of course, it could be possible that Elam is partly telling the truth…perhaps the Doubletree is requiring that avfm pay for additional security. Elam uses this to make up a story about death threats and exaggerates the amount of security required and how much it will cost. He then is able to raise more than is needed and can skim a little of the top for his personal use.

pinkfluffyunicrone

I just realized that the syllables from “straw feminists in your head” match with the song “pink elephants on parade.”

thetruepooka

In the light of Paul and his friends continual questioning of whether death threats made by the MRM at women are real, I think it is only fair that Paul Elam start by providing evidence of the veracity of his claims.

We’ll need the name and number of the appropriate hotel personnel who can verify the existence of the threats followed by access to the email account so we can verify the existence of the emails. We’ll also need access to the recorded records of all phone messages as well.

To quote many a MRA and their supporters; “If they can’t provide that then clearly they are lying.”

tinyorc

I’m excited to see if they put up another DIFFERENT letter that fixes some of the obvious mistakes like the letterhead and the total lack of adherence basic formal letter writing conventions.

😀

magnesium
magnesium

Curiouser and curiouser. Surely this is the work of the fem-hackers cell of the feminist terrorist organization. It couldn’t possibly be because Elam succeeded in bilking $25,000 from his fanboys and doesn’t want to risk anyone pointing out how fake his home-made letter is.

titianblue
titianblue

Of course, if the letter is a fake and AVfM has both published it and alerted the media to the supposed death threats, I would anticipate that the hotel owner & manager would be pretty hacked off with them. Indeed, if I were the owner & manager, I would be instructing my lawyers to explain to Paul Elam that he can expect to compensate my hotel for any loss of reputation and of business due to the adverse publicity, including but not limited to any customers cancelling their reservations for the conference dates and any other conferences cancelling their events after reading of the issues attending this one.

Anyone any knowledge of libel law in the USA? ‘cos in the UK, not having done enough of an investigation to ensure that the fiction you publish is true – not a valid excuse. So ignorance is not a defence.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

tinyorc – that would make total sense! Hotels always start with rough draft correspondence, and then follow up later with the polished version.

Incidentally, commenter Echofoxtrot at AVfM is advocating carrying hornet spray at the conference. Just in case.

the attendees of the conference are, should it be necessary, prepared to exercise their legal and lawful right to self-defense. A retired cop told me about the value of a can of hornet spray as a self-defense weapon: much more potent than pepper spray, shoots a stream for 25 feet, $4 per can, etc. Hopefully cops will be on hand to prevent trouble, but prudent individuals would be advised to carry their own means of self-defense. Perhaps the best means to carry the can would be in a
one-shoulder sling backpack, with the backpack’s pouch in front of the body. I hate to sound so gloom-and-doom, but this feminazi sounds like she’s looking for trouble.

They’re taking hivemind way too literally.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

I see what you did there!

Titianblue — libel is pretty much impossible to prove here, unfortunately.

weirwoodtreehugger

Echofoxtrot? Let me guess, privileged guy who was never in the military because mommy and daddy paid his college tuition appropriating military lingo?

I wonder what gun laws in MI are. It wouldn’t surprise me if these douches all brought their guns and one of them accidently shoots himself in the foot.

Lea
Lea

There is no evidence at the moment that Emma threatened anyone.

But you’ve decided to blame her anyway.
Typical.

piratejennie

“I hate to sound so gloom-and-doom…”

Er…he actually sounds pretty excited (and detailed) about the prospect of spraying toxins at someone. From 25ft away.

fauxmy
fauxmy

@wwth regarding gun laws

michigan honors carry permits from the following states (basically, all of them):

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, New York City, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

those with gun permits in the following states/territories cannot bring their guns to michigan:

Guam, Puerto Rico, Vermont, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, District of Columbia, N. Mariana Islands

source; http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

fauxmy
fauxmy

just an FYI — this is faux, but i have signed up for a wordpress account so i could use my fabulous kitty, boris, as an avatar. my user name of choice had already been taken, so i altered it somewhat

– – – – – – – – – –

i know i am late to this party, but shall start addressing things in a first come/first serve basis.

re the OP — yeah, i think that feminists should donate on elam’s site to give their two cents, but for the fact that they would have to look at elam’s site and all. i say this because a group of like minded merry pranksters including me, routinely donated $0.02 to that infamous child killer and woman beater extraordinaire, george zimmerman. we used prepaid debit cards and fakey methods, but in order for him to collect his two cents, he had to spend 30 cents in paypal fees. it provided lots of laughs for lots of folks.

re: pepe le pew aka peter lacroix — wow, just wow. i intended to respond to some of his nonsense, but it hardly seems worth it now, as he was outed as a troll with a past. it was pretty amusing to watch that meltdown.

re: judgysnitch — no, i am not going to contact some random woman on the internet for doing something she considered fun for any reason on your say so. i do not know you, i do not know emma, but you will have to forgive me for questioning your motives.

re: upcoming ‘international mens conference extravaganza’ — i don’t think these folks have the ability to organize themselves out of a paper bag, much less make activism work for them, as evidenced by their 10 or so year history of failing to accomplish anything. besides, who schedules such a ‘massive’ conference on such short notice, in detroit, of all places? there is nothing about this letter supposedly from double tree that looks legit.

i look around my small college town and see fabulous things that feminists have done to make this a better community. many are associated with the university to provide education and the well being (i.e. safety) of women on campus. more specifically, i think of our local battered women’s shelter/DV hotline which provides service for three counties. date night for my husband and i was taking a 4 hour shift of answering phones when other college kids were whooping it up. after a couple of years, i was offered stable, but part time employment through them. this shelter was an older home (large, victorian era) that had been purchased, maintained and operated by women, with some grant assistance. it required significant amounts of organization. i guess all those years of organizing school bake sales etc., kind of paid off when the chips were down. the older workers made it a point to pass along such knowledge to the younger ones. heck, we even had a list of resources to refer abused men on the rare occasion that they called. (i think this blows a lot of MRA talking points out of the water. when they called, we listened and provided whatever help we could, short of providing shelter which would have been inappropriate.)

brooked
brooked

Yup, nothing says trouble like “super fun”.

Before this Emma doxxing episode, I just assumed nothing could make me lose respect for JudgyB, because I had none to lose. After seeing her flail her arms here in an attempt to create the illusion of actual evidence, in order to smear a critic of MRAs with accusations of death threats… wow. Take a look at your life decisions lady, you’re a lying crank and an online stalker.

Lea
Lea

…who need to learn a lesson

Literally every time a man has offered to “teach me a lesson” he’s intended to teach me with his fists.

I still haven’t “learned my place” and I’m still not scared.

You chickenshit, whiny little dingleberry. You ain’t tough. You ain’t smart. You couldn’t teach a clock to tell time.

Most of the people on this thread shit more articulate stuff than you can manage to write.

You can fuck off straight away you racist, misogynist piece of shit.