alpha males creepy emotional abuse evil sexy ladies evil short-haired women gaslighting grandiosity imaginary oppression men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA PUA

Note to clueless misogynistic dating coaches: Vogue magazine does not run handjob how-to's as cover stories

Note: The real world is not a romance comic.
Note: The real world is not a romance comic.

The We Hunted the Mammoth Pledge Drive continues! If you haven’t already, please consider sending some bucks my way. (And don’t worry that the PayPal page says Man Boobz.) Thanks! And thanks again to all who’ve already donated.

After all of the depressing stuff from recent days, here’s something a little lighter: A heartwarming story of misogynist gullibility, and yet another reminder that the evil feminazi double standards that the manospherians think they’re fighting exist only in their own fevered imaginations.

So last night, as a result of a rather nasty contretemps in the comments here, I was going through some old comments, and I discovered that one recently banned troll has a little blog of his own. Curious, I went and checked it out, and discovered that the obnoxious fellow, one “Ronnie Libra,” fancies himself a “dating coach.” And he’d just posted a rant defending pickup artists from accusations of being the creepy, manipulative predators that we know a lot of them are.

Here was his defense:

Pickup Artists are widely considered people who use tactics and techniques to try and “manipulate” members of the opposite sex into bed.  Predatory, manipulative, rape culture, creepy…

Where else have we seen that before?

Popular Women’s Magazines perhaps?

As proof of this matriarchal manipulation, he posted the covers of three women’s magazines, adorned with pictures of sexy celebs and covered with headlines promising women guidance on how best to enslave men with their sexy sexiness.

But let’s look at some of these Mainstream Articles in these Popular women’s magazines.

Article Titles like:

Get Men to do your bidding without being a Nag

Get in his head and in his bed!

Christina Hendricks:  How she chased her man and got him!

How to disappear without a trace.

The Sex position that will Put a Ring on your Finger.

Football and poker will improve your relationship.  Find out how!

And a whole host of ways to manipulate men through sex.

It took me literally 3 minutes to pull of 3 random women’s magazine covers without even skimming for what the content of the covers would be. …

Am I complaining?  Am I saying there’s something wrong with all of this?  NOPE!  As a matter of fact, I am very far from the hypocritical crowd out there spouting out how men learning tactics and techniques or even just improving their lives inside and out is somehow creepy, misogynistic, women hating, rape culture.  If that were the case than women have been rapey, men hating, creepsters since before I was born.

No.  Men and women trying to become more attractive to the opposite sex is AWESOME! … Women and Men are playing the same game, and the fact is, the WOMEN have been making the rules for a long time. …

[T]his double standard that what is great for women to do is evil for men to do just needs to be put to rest.

There’s just one teensy problem with Ronnie’s argument: two of the three magazine covers that Ronnie used to prove his point were obvious, ridiculous fakes. Here they are:

if_men_wrote_womens_magazines_00womens-magazines-instyle

Yep. Apparently Ronnie thinks that Vogue runs cover stories on “The Lost Art of the Handjob,” and that InStyle is obsessed with telling women not to cut their hair because guys like women’s hair long.

You may notice that in addition to being festooned with headlines that sound like they were written not by sneaky sexually manipulative women but rather by a committee of horny dudes, these covers also feature a url on them: coolmaterial.com.

Using the sophisticated internet research technique of typing this url into my browser and, upon reaching the site in question, typing the words “women’s magazines” into the search box, I discovered that these covers were taken from a couple of “humor” features imagining what women’s magazines would look like … if they were written by men.

The basic joke behind them all: how can we convince these silly women to bend over backwards and forwards to please men sexually, while making them think they’re empowering themselves? Hell, there’s even a freaking sandwich joke on that fake InStyle cover.

And seriously, Ronnie, the NAME OF THE IMAGE FILE for the ScarJo cover, the image you posted on your blog and that I’ve reposted here, is if_men_wrote_womens_magazines_00.jpg. How did that not tip you off?

It’s true that women’s magazines do offer sex tips– shocking, I know — and, heck, I even found a handjob how-to in Vogue’s downmarket rival Glamour. But how is that in any way comparable to the manipulative and pedatory techniques favored by so many PUAs? Offering advice on how to please your partner in bed is about as innocuous as providing recipes for delicious food that people will enjoy eating. It’s nothing like the creepy gaslighting and routine boundary-violation regularly recommended by PUAs. Dread Game, anyone?

It’s also true that a couple of the headlines that Ronnie quotes are taken from the one real cover he posted, that of the May 2012 issue of the UK edition of Cosmopolitan. But tellingly, one of these quotes is actually a misquote. Cosmo wasn’t offering sneaky women advice on “how to disappear without a trace” – presumably with a briefcase full of pilfered cash and a vial of some poor man’s sperm. The actual headline?

Cosmo investigates: How can a woman disappear without a trace?

Yes, that’s right: it was an investigative report about a woman’s disappearance. I couldn’t find the piece itself on the Cosmopolitan UK website, which only puts limited stuff from its print editions online, though I found a more recent news story there about a missing woman who has been in the news a good deal in the UK. The American edition of Cosmo has also run investigative reports on missing women.

I’m not quite sure how Ronnie managed to get the headline so wrong. It’s written in big letters on the cover. Maybe he was distracted by cover girl Christina Hendricks’ cleavage? But it’s a revealing little slip nonetheless, transforming a story about a woman missing and possibly murdered into how-to guide to female deception.

More proof that these guys see just what they want to see – even if what they’re seeing is a joke, or entirely a product of their own imagination

Note to Ronnie: If you’d like to defend yourself here. I’ll unban your and let your comments through, just so long as they stay withing my comment guidelines.

titianblue
titianblue

@Mother Roshiya, that is an impressive hole you’re digging for yourself there – amazing how many rape myths you’ve managed to fit into it. I would recommend you stop before you do yourself an injury.

cassandrakitty

Why do I feel like Yahoo Dating just puked all over this blog?

Falconer

Sex DIRECTLY ON THE BEACH.

I laughed. I laughed so hard. Probably because I’ve had four hours of sleep. I’m so glad I’m alone right now, it wasn’t a dignified laugh.

cassandrakitty

Keep the kids away from Mother Roshiya, Falconer, she’s why we can’t have nice things.

Falconer

Dangit, the strikethrough didn’t work.

Test.

Falconer

@cassandra: Oh, I’ll keep them far away, but you know how it goes. Baby sees a shiny, baby investigates.

And it just

got

harder.

Tracy
Tracy

@Mother Roshiya

Except I know quite a few people who have had this done to them. One of them was my husband, who stupidly accepted a drink from a guy who was trying to get 2 women to accept the drink. Another one of them was me. Anecdata, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that this happens way more often than the “I regret that sex I had so am going to say it was rape” thing does.

@Ally if we make the feminist dive bar somewhere in Canada, you’re fine! Drinking age is 18 or 19, depending on the province. I will bring the scented fucking candles and a Spanx-wearing penguin to work the door.

cassandrakitty

Nothing offensive about the expression “cries rape”. As long as you don’t use any naughty language it’s just fine to write I LOVE RAPE CULTURE on your forehead with a Sharpie, right?

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

There’s one on a tram in Helskinki.

Ah yes, the Spårakoff (from Swedish spårvagn “tram” and the beer brand Koff). I expect Mammotheers to want something classier than such an advertisement stunt.

Apparently, Melbourne has a real restaurant on rails:

weirwoodtreehugger

some women aren’t above using the rape card to blackmail guys into doing what they want. Though it’s probably a small percentage of the women population like the stalker/creepy/actually going to rape you PUA male is a small population, I’m sure it’s on their minds as well. “Is this woman I’m trying to pick up going to try saying it was rape later on if she doesn’t like it or is shame-slutted into defending her actions for hooking up with me for casual sex?” It’s probably their often-heard horror story, like date-rape drugs in our drinks are for us.

Oh, ffs.

Rape is very common. False rape accusations are rare. Don’t act like there’s an equivalency. There really isn’t.

Reporting a rape is quite traumatic. Women aren’t just reporting false rapes willy nilly because they regret a one night stand. If a guy is terrified he will be accused of rape every time he has sex it’s probably because he’s pushing and coercing women into sex or getting women too drunk to say no. In other words, it’s only the rapists who truly fear women “crying rape.”

racnad
racnad

Just curious, what exactly is the definition of a PUA (Pick Up Artist)? Is it ANYONE who attempts to help young men who have trouble connecting romantically with women? Or only those steeped in misogynistic language or who use techniques like negging?

Is it possible to write a book or curriculum to help romantically challenged men that won’t be viewed as misogynistic pick up “artistry” by feminists?

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

<blockquote.Probably the hair scrunchy on the cock is okay; the hair clip might be a little much, and the hair sticks are only for the expert.

Now I kinda want to put a fascinator on my partner’s. Flowers or feathers?

I wonder if there has ever been a bar on an urban train, because I think it would be awesome.

Some of the commuter trains out of Boston have them, if they’re run by Amtrak. You can get drunk on your way to Portland!

Cliff Pervocracy
Cliff Pervocracy

I don’t know how the drinks conversation started, but I figured I’d throw in my two cents, which is that making your own soda syrup is super fun.

All you need to do is mix your preferred flavoring agent (I’ve done this with citrus peels and celery seeds, and I’m going to try vanilla and spices) with two parts sugar and one part water, heat and stir until all the sugar dissolves, then bring it to a boil, cover, turn off the heat, and let it steep for an hour.

Strain into a closable container and keep in the fridge. Whenever you want soda, just mix a couple spoonfuls of the syrup with club soda, and you can have any soda flavor you can think of, at any sweetness level you prefer. It’s awesome.

pecunium

if a women yells rape, she’s more likely to be taken seriously than a guy who cries rape, and some women aren’t above using the rape card to blackmail guys into doing what they want. Though it’s probably a small percentage of the women population like the stalker/creepy/actually going to rape you PUA male is a small population,

W T F?

Just no.

Ignoring the idea that women who “yell rape” are taken seriously (because they aren’t. If you yell “rape” and you don’t have a dude with a knife trying to rip your clothes off, the response is going to be more on the lines of, “hysterical woman doesn’t understand a compliment”, or some such shit), the “small percentage” is justifiable is nonsense.

And the “blackmail a guy into doing what they want”. Whut? Yeah, there are people who use sex to get things but, “I’ll say you raped me if you won’t do “x” is comic book levels of villain; where the number of stalker/creepy/actually going to rape you male (PUA not required) is all to fucking common.

pecunium

The Surfliner (Amtrack, San Diego to Paso Robles) has a car which sells beer/whine. The Coast Starlight (San Diego to Seattle) has a car with beer and wine, as well as a Parlour Car (for those with sleepers, so not open to all) with beer wine, and (as I recall) spirits). Both trains go through Los Angeles (and environs) as well as Portland and Seattle.

pecunium

Feminist dive bar?

In the Grand caymans? Turks and Caicos?

I could go for that.

I don’t brew beers, I do make meads.

bunnybunny

Often-heard? I guess it is tempting to throw MRAs a bone like this so that you can seem more neutral (as if neutrality appeals to them anyway), but this just isn’t realistic. The idea of a person falsely accusing another person of rape is disgusting, but to speak like this happens with the same frequency as rape is pretty much as disgusting.

hellkell
hellkell

And I can’t say completely no, only because if a women yells rape, she’s more likely to be taken seriously than a guy who cries rape, and some women aren’t above using the rape card to blackmail guys into doing what they want.

What the fuck? When did your divorce from this reality become final?

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I think by “often-heard story” she might mean that the threat of false accusations is a bit of a boogeyman for men. Which may or may not be true, as I haven’t spent any time with men without women present so I don’t know whether this is something they worry about.

I have heard guys say they know a guy who was falsely accused, and they may even believe it, but the reality is that the accusation probably wasn’t false at all.

Stevie
Stevie

Well, I think it’s helpful to be precise about the frequency of false allegations of rape; the most up to date research that I can find for England and Wales states that in the 17 month period ending in March 2013 there were 35 prosecutions for making false rape allegations.

Our legislation provides for mandatory jail sentences for women deliberately making such claims, and on average two women a month are prosecuted. I find it hard to believe that anyone who bothers to look up the facts is going to buy into the myth being touted that women regularly yell rape; women are capable of doing dreadful things but the number of rapes vastly outnumber the number of women making false allegations.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

WWTH

Oh, ffs.

“It’s only the rapists who truly fear women crying rape”

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Sorry I messed up the link scroll down where the images say “this”

mayimoktoo
mayimoktoo

Hey Mother Roshiya, don’t speak for me. If there’s something I want to express, my “normally chatty brain” (gag) will be up to it.

Lea
Lea

rape cards = worst card game ever.
Just say’n.

M.R. ,
We get it. You think women are inherently devious and should not be trusted. Even though the false rape allegation stat is only at 2% (same as all other false allegations for any crime), even counting the women police or others pressured into recanting. Even thought we know few rapists are ever brought to justice and that the victims are often harassed, sometimes to death for having the gall to come forward. We know that many victims don;t report their rapes because the pain and danger of going to the police is so terrible.

But, you think the poor, poor menz accused of rape are the ones in danger. We get it. We’ve heard it all before.

bluecatbabe
bluecatbabe

I’ll have a drink with you mammotheers in that dive bar any time! Scented candles on all tables, bonbon dispensers by the door, some misandrist hard chairs, and a big bowl of scrunchies to be used at will.

I have a drawer full of scrunchies which are now surplus to requirements since all my hair fell out. (There was a discussion about leg depilation somewhere on another thread: for getting rid of your unwanted body hair, chemotherapy really works, though I don’t recommend it. My shins are as smooth as silk).

I sometimes put scrunchies on my cats, but they don’t really approve.

There’s a brewery in East Anglia which makes an excellent cloudy dry cider (the alcoholic kind) called Old Crone. Highly recommended – it’s one of the few which are not too sweet – and the name is most appropriate.

Can we have a green absinthe-based cocktail called Jaded Feminist?

Sex Directly on the Beach is a winner and there should also be a rather bitter, unpalatable vino called MRA White Whine.

Long ago and in another country I used to made an excellent green herbal drink using an excellent herb (the leaves and buds thereof) steeped for 6 weeks in vodka or gin. The principle was based on Buffalo Grass vodka, or Beech Noyeau.

That herb is now legal in some states of the USA.

Lea
Lea

The idea that a man might fear being lied about in the morning (something that rarely ever happens to men) and that it is equivalent to a woman’s fears that she might be raped or even killed in an encounter with a man (something that happens fairly regularly) makes me want to vomit bees.

Stevie
Stevie

My apologies; I should have noted that 3 of the 35 people prosecuted for false allegations of rape were male. So, perhaps guys panicking about evil women wrongly accusing them of rape should extend their panic to evil guys wrongly accusing them of rape…

Yeah, I was trying to be non-offensive about it, similar to a professional debate.

…In a forum that was just talking about cock scrunchies.

And the flavoring agent ends up candied! If you use citrus peel, you get candied citrus peel, if you use ginger, you get candied ginger, etc. (I highly recommend ginger.)

Howard Bannister

I have been experimenting with mixing my own fruity alcoholic beverages lately, and, whoa, sometimes you can make magic with some fresh fruit and stiff liquor, I tell you what.

And, y’know, the internet, which is full of interesting recipes. Holy crap, is it ever full of interesting recipes.

cassandrakitty

Food blogs are great, not just because yay good food, but because they seem to be mostly free of the comments being full of angry poo-flinging howler monkeys problem that most of the internet suffers from.

bunnybunny

This reminds me of the time in college that I was persuaded by the internet that making “skittles vodka” was a good idea. Either my execution was completely off, or it was just not a good idea to begin with.

Howard Bannister

Oh, yeah. The other internet.

😛

bunnybunny

“Recipes” from meme sites always seem to go south pretty quickly.

Kootiepatra
Kootiepatra

I just caught up on all the comments. Scrunchies are great to wear to bed, keeping the hair out of my face without giving it that awkward crease from a smaller hair-tie. And I also very much appreciate using them to wrap around a bun and hide the loose ends.

The dive bar would need a carousel, ofc.

Also, I noticed frequent mention of Hello Cthulhu with a bit of Evil Hello Kitty. Could I shamelessly contribute my own project, Ohai Uruk-hai to this mix? http://ohaiuruk-hai.tumblr.com

LBT
LBT

RE: Mother Roshiya

Really? Because I know folks who’ve been roofied at bars, but I’ve NEVER met someone who had someone cry rape. I actually personally know more RAPISTS than I do people who’ve been falsely accused. And none of those actual rapists ever faced any sort of trouble whatosever, unlike my poor date-raped friends. (The woman who got roofied was my roommate; she spent the night vomiting and had to be carried home by friends, who thankfully got between her and her attempted rapist.)

*laughs* Oh really? In my experience, NOBODY is taken seriously when they “cry rape.” I say this as a male rape survivor.

cloudiah

Maybe we should use them in defense against our next influx of poo-flinging howler monkey-trolls? We can add them to the arsenal: talking about bras, etc.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Yeah, there’s some poo-flinging in the paleo blogs. YER DOIN IT RONGGGG! Also, a bizarrely large number of paleo-ers also seem to be MRA-type libertarians. It’s almost enough to make me abandon the concept, except that I feel so much better when I eat this way.

Marie
Marie

Feminist dive bar sounds awesome! 😀 I didn’t have any suggestions, but it was great to read.

@Mother Roshiya

Spoiler space: if you use the words ‘cries rape’ seriously in a sentence, there is a 100% chance you’re a terrible human being.

@falconer

AWw, your kids are so cute! :3 And they’re walking now!

cassandrakitty

Yeah, I guess paleo, Atkins, and vegan blogs probably do have some shitty behavior in the comments. The only food blogs I read are the “here are some tasty recipes you could try, possibly with some background info about where the recipes come from” ones, so the comments are mostly “tried this and it was great!” or “can you use olive oil instead of butter?

cloudiah

I missed new falconer baby photos!!!

:: scrolls up ::

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

contrapangloss

Kootiepatra, that is adorable! Much love for the staring into round objects one.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants

When did your divorce from this reality become final?

Once you divorce reality, it whines endlessly about child support.

weirwoodtreehugger

The people that push the Paleo diet are the worst! Not everyone who does the diet (I don’t mean you Unimaginative), just the people who push it. I was told by someone once that my body is weak and sick because I don’t digest red meat well and I am an addict because I am disinclined to give up cheese and alcohol.

Plus there’s the whole fact that it’s based in pseudo science. Different hunter gatherers had different diets depending on where they lived. The crops and animals we eat now are vastly different than what they ate. It isn’t true that our gut flora is the same as Paleolithic people. Digestive systems do change over time to accommodate diets. That’s why the first people to eat dairy (northern Europeans) are best at digesting it. Japanese people can digest seaweed better than everyone else. Also, there are still hunter gatherer tribes around today and they actually are not in better health than us.

Why can’t we all just eat what we like and/or makes us feel best? Not everyone’s body is the same. Why do people get invested in what others eat anyway?

Not only is there an overlap between Paleo diet and MRA/libertarian people they also tend to be crossfit pushers. Ick.

Marie
Marie

@weirdwoodtreehugger

um, wow O_o

cassandrakitty

I remember when an Atkins-loving coworker told me that carrots were unhealthy and I should stop eating them (and the rest of the Chinese stir-fry I was happily chowing down on), while consuming her super-healthy lunch of processed cheese sticks and sliced hot dogs. Hey, low carb!

Nequam
Nequam

Back to soda syrups a moment: I picked up a book called Homemade Soda: 200 Recipes for Making & Using Fruit Sodas … & Other Carbonated Concoctions (it has a stupidly long subtitle which I am not going to reproduce here). Some of the recipes are for brewing soda, others for making syrups… including a peanut butter cream (!!) syrup that’s surprisingly good (unless you’re allergic, of course).

Fibinachi

Someone mentioned Skittles Vodka?

I have been summoned!

Thats a… Nice carpet… I’m just… Gonna lie down here… Sleep it off

Ally S

The latter. No one here is criticizing PUAs for trying to help out young men. They’re criticizing PUAs because PUAs want to train young men to be entitled, misogynistic shitstains with an inclination to sexually abuse women.

weirwoodtreehugger

I’ve also seen people on the internet claim that fruit is unhealthy because the fructose in it is just as unhealthy as processed sugars in junk food. It’s just baffling.