announcements elliot rodger entitlement

Program note: I'll be on NPR at 11 AM (Eastern) today, talking about Elliot Rodger and the new misogyny [UPDATE: Archived audio is up!]

radio

Just wanted to let you all know that I will be on NPR today, as part of a special segment on Misogyny And Murder: Unpacking A Killing In California on the show On Point With Tom Ashbrook. For more details and a link to listen to the show online, see here.

I will probably be on in the middle of the show, from about 11:20-11:40.

I’ll put up a link to the archived show when it’s over.

UPDATE: The archived audio is now up, at the same link. And yeah, I was on in the middle. But you should listen to the whole show; Soraya Chemaly in particular is great.

We’ll see how David’s funding drive goes.

Ally S

If they did not already exist, we would have to make them up.

Taken out of context, this is one sentence that summarizes the entire analytic approach of all MRM ideologies. That’s impressive.

Lea
Lea

His feminist backers are, we think, starting to figure this out, and likely his source of funding is diminishing as he gets ever more desperate to remain relevant.

Actually, I’m seeing references to David’s blog more and more often. Comedians, writer’s, journalists and other bloggers I follow are familiar with David and WHtM. He’s been invited to speak on podcasts and now NPR.

He’s not going anywhere and neither are his fans.

Keep up the good work, David. You’re doing great!

Just listened to the segment and it’s great; I didn’t think the host sounded defensive; he’s just trying to maintain that radio-host neutrality.

fruitloopsie
fruitloopsie

Wouldn’t you want to say good things about your movement and want people to recognize problems that men have so they can get help? No? Oh well here’s another video 🙂

Ally S

I thought the radio host was decent as well. He just sounded neutral, like katz said. And much of the talk involved him talking about how to bring about more productive conversations starting with men, so I don’t think he was trying to be defensive.

marinerachel
marinerachel

I have even offered to buy Deano a pair of long pants. There has been much kindness directed towards him from this blog.

Lavande
Lavande

I thought the host sounded defensive as well, but, overall, it was a productive discussion. I was relieved that the three callers all made relevant and thoughtful remarks. I was expecting to listen to some rants.

marinerachel
marinerachel

By purchasing Dean long pants I would have done more for men than the whole of the MRM. That’s why he didn’t take me up on my offer; he didn’t want to be out-MRA’d by a feminist.

Ally S

Dean Esmay is the man behind the superhero who goes by the name Magic Pants Man. When feminist ideological soldiers threaten the existence of men with their misandrist callipygian sorcery, he wraps the detachable lower pant sleeves, uses them to make a double blindfold, and avoids the evil power of the Shapely Behind. Truly a hero for all straight men.

marinerachel
marinerachel

I hear he also belongs to the Order of the Fat Elders of the Internet, which is why I can’t understand why he doesn’t like me. So do I! That makes us chums, right?

SandsnakeFromThessia
SandsnakeFromThessia

Hi there, I’ve been lurking on this blog for the past few months, guess now it’s time to “delurk” 🙂 I’ve been aware of MRM and various forms of feminism-bashing for a while now, but only coming here made me realise how widespread and sick this trend really is. Reading your posts also helped me a lot in pinpointing what exactly is wrong with attacks on feminism (and women in general).

But on the topic of you radio appearance, great talk, David 🙂 Soraya Chemaly was also really insightful.

If I may, when you mentioned the “incel” thing, that reminded me of something I came across some time ago on Jezebel. A poster under one of the articles there explains where this term came from and what sort of people used it originally (before it became associated with MRAs and entitlement issues). And while I can’t verify whether it’s true, I still find it pretty informative, here’s the link (hope it works):

Ally S

@marinerachel

Please don’t put fat-shaming in your humor. We can make fun of Esmay without contributing to an oppressive social norm.

marinerachel
marinerachel

It’s a David-ism as seen here: https://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2013/07/page/2/

No judgement, much less shame, about being fat in it. I’m not making value judgements about anyone base in their being fat or even having an opinion about beng fat. The humour lies in the assumption everyone fat and online has anything else in common. The only reason it’s relevant is I’m fat and online too, meaning Dean and I MUST be biffles.

emilygoddess

I don’t ID as fat, so maybe it’s not my place to say, but I see no problem with fat people making fat jokes. It’s kinda like a bunch of women mocking misogyny, right?

Ally S

@marinerachel

All right, I take back what I said. I’m sorry for jumping on you.

David, I lol’d.

Kim
Kim

Welcome to Pwen Arye and SandsnakeFromThessia! Please have a complimentary Welcome Package. It’s lovely to have you here.

Ally S

@David

That makes sense. I’m just extra sensitive to fat-shaming these days, and sometimes I see it where it doesn’t actually exist due to some insecurities of mine. Sorry for the trouble, everyone.

emilygoddess

Ally, I tried really hard to word my comment so that it sounded like a discussion and not an attack, but I seem to have failed. Sorry.

dustedeste
dustedeste

FWIW, Ally, the “fat” comment made me a bit uncomfortable, too, the first time I read it over. Obviously, it’s David’s blog and the calls are his to make, but I don’t think it was unreasonable of you to say something about it.

cloudiah

Hey, David, the Spearheaders are very jealous that you got to be on the radio, and apparently Price has published one of your great grandfather’s public domain books online.

emilygoddess

Price has published one of your great grandfather’s public domain books online.

How does this hurt David?

samantha
samantha

David, I just listened to the radio show and I just want to say a giant “Thank You!” If you ever needed a mom, I would be honored to adopt you, and I hope that whoever your significant other is appreciates and cherishes you for the marvelous human being that you are.

Well done.

samantha
samantha

@David:

His feminist backers are, we think, starting to figure this out, and likely his source of funding is diminishing as he gets ever more desperate to remain relevant, and his Mainstream Media buddies who used to rely on him as a source increasingly figure out that he is not reliable and that using him as a source puts egg on their faces.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Hoo, boy…is HE ever wrong.

I needed the laugh.

Howard Bannister

Price has published one of your great grandfather’s public domain books online.

How does this hurt David?

Heh. I want to say you’re giving them too much credit, in that your question supposes they have any plan at all.

More seriously, I can’t imagine any possible way for them to intend this that isn’t silly beyond words.

Howard Bannister

Oh, blockquote monster, how have I offended thee?

Last nested quote is me. (sigh)

emilygoddess

Interesting thing about my great grandfather: his wife, Lily May Futrelle was also a writer. Huh. He married a woman with a career, in 1895. He was a man of his times in a lot of ways, but he did recognize that women could make careers for themselves using their brains.

So Price is wrong and misandry does indeed run in your family 😉

Fnoicby
Fnoicby

I listened to the whole show, very interesting and informative. David you were great. I liked near the end when they began to get into how this culture of entitlement is bred in young boys and girls, that to me was fascinating – the whole “boys will be boys” thing has always gotten my hackles up.

I’m a new reader here, stumbled on your site while reading something about Elliot Rodger. You are absolutely hilarious, and I appreciate having a humorous spin put on these issues. While I knew misogynists were out there, I never knew anyone who admitted it or shared their views with me. I can’t say I’m shocked at what’s being said, I could imagine these are exactly the kinds of things misogynists would say. Thank you for doing what you’re doing here!

Howard Bannister

…he quotes something sexist said by the main character,…
…he says something along the lines of “boy, how families can change huh?” Which I guess is supposed to be a dig at me because I’m not into patriarchy like my great grandfather supposedly was.

That was pretty much exactly the silly-beyond-words I was expecting. *shudder* How dare you be related to people, David! Don’t you know know that if you’re related to people they might have views that disagree with yours, and that means… things! THINGS!

Black Linen Sheets
Black Linen Sheets

What do you call three guys and one woman talking about feminism. Totally fucking retarded, that’s what. BLS strikes again!!!!

sparky
sparky

🙄

hellkell
hellkell

BLS: Don’t quit your day job for that comedy career.

emilygoddess

1) Why does BLS’s icon change? Surely no one would be boring enough to troll from two different computers?

2) Was that supposed to be a zinger? Because no.

teacat
teacat

Missed it because my state airs a different program at that time, despite being in the same time zone. Would’ve caught it “happidentally” otherwise :(. The show they were airing didn’t interest me much today, so all the more sadness…oh well.

Just took the time to listen to it and the show was great (goes without saying your segment included)!