antifeminism creep-shaming elliot rodger entitled babies entitlement hypocrisy irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny MRA post contains sarcasm reddit straw feminists the eternal solipsism of the MRA mind

Men's Rights Activists respond to the Elliot Rodger murders with a hearty "Nothing to see here! Move along!"

nothing-to-see-here
The We Hunted the Mammoth Pledge Drive continues! If you haven’t already, please consider sending some bucks my way. (And don’t worry that the PayPal page says Man Boobz.) Thanks! And thanks again to all who’ve already donated.

If anyone was hoping – against their better judgement – that Men’s Rights activists would be inspired by the tragedy in Isla Vista to reconsider any of their beliefs, or even to reflect for a moment on the many striking similarities between passages in Elliot Rodger’s book-length manifesto and comments posted every day by MRAs and others in the manosphere, well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you should not keep that hope alive.

It’s not that they’re not talking about the tragedy. A look through the top 100 posts in the Men’s Rights subreddit, the largest Men’s Rights forum online, reveals that roughly a third of them, including the top stickied post, relate in some way to Elliot Rodger’s rampage and the discussions that have come up online and in the media in its aftermath.

But the message of virtually all of these posts is: “Nothing to see here! Move along!” There are numerous posts expressing outrage that anyone would see any connection between Rodger’s toxic misogyny to the Men’s Rights movement; there are others mocking and attacking the #YesAllWomen hashtag; there’s even one suggesting that Rodger, who wrote about how he longed to watch all the women of the world starve to death in concentration camps, wasn’t actually a misogynist at all.

Take a look. One post, with more than 500 upvotes, complains:

Feminists highjack what should be a Mental Health issue.
Another post makes a strikingly similar complaint:

Feminists Hijack A Mass Murder To Boost Self-Esteem
One angry MRA asks:

Why am I being compared to a mentally ill, narcissistic, racist, misogynist, sociopathic serial killer?
Another wonders:

So at this point would it be worth it to look into a Defamation suit against those trying to link MRA's with the recent tragedy?

Sorry to break it to you, fella, but that’s not how defamation suits work. If it were, all of us who call ourselves feminists would be collecting millions of dollars from the Men’s Rights subreddit for all the patently untrue things you guys say about us every day of every week.

Still others make sure that everyone knows that Rodger hated men too – not that this has actually gone unnoticed in the media or in discussions of the tragedy.

Proof that Elliot Rodger Hates Men
Finally! The MSM acknowledges that Elliot Roger hated *MEN*

And then there’s this fellow, who seems to think that Rodger only hated men, and that his big problem with women was that he loved them too much:

Elliot Rodgers the Misandrist. (self.MensRights) submitted 13 hours ago by TheWhimsicalFox In listening to Elliot's videos, and reading some of his manifesto, I almost feel as if this guy really just hated men. It seems as if he put women on a pedestal and held such an adoration for them that he could not understand how the "beasts" (among other terms)/men got to date them. This is a totally new idea for me, I haven't really thought it through for longer than a minute or two. So that's why I'm taking it here. What do you guys think?
There are, it’s true, two posts that raise the issue of what might be done to prevent tragedies like this from happening in the future. One of them takes on the issue of “virgin shaming.” (Sure, I’m against that, and against slut shaming too. Odd that roughly 100% of the virgin shaming I’ve ever heard in my life has come from MRAs and other non-fans of this blog, even though — sorry to break it to you fellows — I’ve not been a virgin since the early Reagan administration.)

Meanwhile, the other “positive” suggestion  — the stickied top post, submitted by one of the forum’s moderators — is pretty transparently intended as a PR move – and an excuse to bash feminists.

Time to get positive. What would help alienated men? (self.MensRights) submitted 20 hours ago * by nicemod - stickied post The recent tragedy in California has focused attention on troubled young men. Attempts by feminists to associate our movement with violence have met with little success, but have drawn many curious people to see what we're about. We can take advantage of this by proposing positive, male-friendly solutions to such problems. Proposals by feminists, based on the false assumption that maleness is inherently bad, will not work. What will? How could society effectively address male problems such as Loneliness Mental illness Alienation from society Virgin shaming Creep shaming Depression Demonisation What other issues need to be looked at? Please discuss.
Yep, “creep shaming.” That’s the problem! Way to cut through all the bullshit and get to the heart of the matter! The problem isn’t that some men — well, a lot of men — think and act in predatory and entitled ways towards women. The problem is that sometimes when they do, women call them “creeps.”

The problem isn’t that the world’s creepiest and most entitled man just killed 6 innocent people, the problem is “creep shaming.”

After killing his roommates and a friend of theirs, Rodger attempted to get inside a sorority so he could massacre the women inside it. But he couldn’t get anyone to let him in. Probably because, well, whoever was nearest the door thought he looked a  bit, well, creepy.

“Creep-shaming” isn’t some insidious form of discrimination against awkward men. It’s a defense mechanism that women develop to protect them against predatory men. And in the case of the Isla Vista murders, I’m guessing that the willingness of women to go with their gut sense that Rodger was a creep literally saved lives.

But the mods of the Men’s Rights subreddit would rather moan about “creep shaming.” They would prefer that women lower their defenses against men like Elliot Rodger — because it hurts their feelings to sometimes get called a “creep.”

Guys, this is why people think Elliot Rodger was an MRA.

EDIT: I added more to the conclusion because I had more to say about creep shaming.

Ha! No problem, J.J. 🙂

J.J
J.J

I can’t think of chia seeds without hearing ‘Ch-che-che-chia!’ Damn Chia Pet commercials.Can you taste them in yogurt?

“Has anyone’s pet done something funny today?”

KImi found an oatmeal can.

contrapangloss

Moldybrehd, if you do manage to scrounge up enough, would you mind giving my partner and I a lift?

I can’t find the flux capacitor for the Delorean and Anakin broke the x-wings, again.

We’ve heard rumors that Dooku is hiding on some planet called ‘Isengard’ and is working on procuring ‘hobbits’. The con up is concerned that these ‘hobbits’ might be dangerous.

Davis
Davis

@Fugit

Thank you for your mature and thoughtful response.

MRM is a joke. I have read their BS and watched their videos. They complain and bitch, but they never get any done. If they wanted their goals met about child support, changing laws that allow women to lie on men in court, and etc, they would have done so buy now.

It is pretty easy to get a law on the books that forces judges to punish anyone who lies in court. MRM can’t even get that shit done.

contrapangloss

*the council. Sorry for the static. Fett must have taken out the long range transmitter…

sparky
sparky

Shiraz:

I said:

“While your at it, also prove that our concern for the victims is fake.”

And I’m not Erin! Or Davis! I said it because Davis said our concern for the victims were fake, and I wanted him to prove it (along with proving that we’re just all male-bashers), because he seems to like just throwing out non-sequiturs and not answering anything.

But, I’m really sorry if I said something wrong. I didn’t mean to.

J.J
J.J

OMG THERE IS A CAT IN AN OATMEAL CAN.

…sorry. I can’t have a cat so I overreact to cute cat things. I love my doggie, but he can’t put himself into small spaces. Sometimes he forgets he isn’t a puppy anymore (he’s four, you’d think he’d figure it out by now) and jumps on me all HI I LOVE YOU. That hurts my chest a lot.

I’m making cupcakes tomorrow. Doggie-dog will get some cream cheese icing for a treat. Mmm.

The immortal question: How do you tell if you succeeded at accomplishing something that’s been around for centuries?

sparky
sparky

“Won’t somebody please, please think of the hate-filled, entitled, privileged mass murderer!”

In the USA, lying while under oath in court is a punishable crime called “perjury.”

pinkfluffyunicrone

Chia is awesome. If you mix it with vanilla rice milk and leave in the fridge overnight, it makes delicious pudding for breakfast.

Davis
Davis

@Sparky. When it comes to women lying in court in order to get a restraining on a guy, the woman is rarely punished for it. A woman can nail a guy for child support without proof. When it is discovered that she lied, she does not get punished.

Laws are on the books, but they are not enforced.

contrapangloss

Laws are on the books, but they are not enforced.

Hm… Almost like all of those links on the other thread you conveniently ignored…

False alarm. Turns out hobbits are mostly harmless. However, we did find this ring! I have a bad feeling about it, but it’s quite beautiful, really.

Shiraz

“My solution to prevent these types lf shooting is to encourage men like Rodgers, Powell, and Sodini to stop worrying about if women like them.”

Yes, had unhealthy ideas about women — they were being forced to worry about women by sexist insititutions that said it didn’t matter if you respect women, just as long as you fuck enough of them. Misogynistic sources told them if you didn’t have a living fuck doll your friends were envious of, how could you feel validated as a man?
Davis/troll, you’re trying to word this stuff in such a way that it seems like women are causing this behavior. Rodgers, Powell and Sodini — women were smart enough to stay the fuck away from them. Read the online journals, this is true. Know what? They hurt people anyway. Sexism and gender essentialism was their enemy. Well, also self-entitlement and other toxic tropes shoved down their throats by PUAs and a culture that dictates what “real men” should and should not do. So why stay here and bother a movement that challenges traditional gender roles?

The Sodini case always freaks me out. There were so many commentors on all kinds of sites posting shit like, “Well, I feel the same way he does.” And “Better pay attention, ladies. Put out of die.”

Eeeesh.

I’d like these type of guys to forget women and take up hobbies instead. Sadly, they can’t stop wishing a woman would validate them and solve all their issues.

Kim
Kim

Davis, the ‘solution’ you propose – of men ignoring women completely – is the exact opposite of a real solution. The real solution is “all men treat women as worthwhile human beings with agency, their own desires, strengths and flaws “, whereas yours is “treat them even more like an evil monolith than currently”. You see the difference? How yours isn’t a solution to anything. No, of course you don’t. You won’t see how my solution benefits you personally so you don’t care.

Laws are on the books, but they are not enforced.

Making your stated plan of, quote, “Get a law on the books” a bit suspect.

Shiraz

Sparky, did I confuse one of your posts with the troll’s? No worries. You’re fine. We’re fine.
🙂

cloudiah

LOL oh my sides. Much bitter laughter. So out of touch with reality.

Davis
Davis

@Shiraz

Why would anyone want to be around people who do not like them?

@Kim

My solution prevents death. Men like Rodgers Sodini and Powell are a small minority. If they ignore women and focus on their own lives no one will notice.

Why would anyone want to be around people who do not like them?

You tell us. You’re the one hanging out here.

sparky
sparky

Davis: Can you prove that women are lying about abuse to get restraining orders placed against men and lying about paternity? And not suffering any consequences for that?

Laws are on the books, but they are not enforced.

Huh, kind of like this:

I said that it is against the law to rape and kill.

What more do you want?

What more do you want, Davis?

And can you actually quote anybody here that was bashing men?

And can you explain your racist comment about black women causing more harm than the KKK?

Shiraz

Upon which, troll proves he doesn’t read up on custody/alimony trials:

“When it comes to women lying in court in order to get a restraining on a guy, the woman is rarely punished for it. A woman can nail a guy for child support without proof. When it is discovered that she lied, she does not get punished.

Laws are on the books, but they are not enforced.”

Women lie about wanting protection. Men who father children get nailed for alimony when it’s not there kids?

You fucking made that up. There’s not an alimony case in the world that doesn’t introduce blood/DNA testing when necessary. How could a woman get a protection order without testimony from police?

David! Hello, David. Get this waste of space out of here, please?

sparky
sparky

Shiraz: Oh good. I was worried I’d done something to insult you. 🙂

contrapangloss

Anakin insisted on giving the ring to Padme. Should I be worried?

Shiraz

“Why would anyone want to be around people who do not like them?”

I said repeatedly that you shouldn’t hang with women if you don’t want to. It’s on record. Can’t you fucking read?! You weird-ass fantasies of denying women the pleasure of your company are messing with your reading skills, I guess.

And, once again, why are you trolling us if you feel we don’t like you? Get out, already.
Could it be that you’re a stalker? Yes, you are.

sparky
sparky

If they ignore women and focus on their own lives no one will notice.

But this not what the manosphere is peddling. It’s peddling outright misogyny.

bbeaty
bbeaty

“A woman can nail a guy for child support without proof.”

Wow. Really? I wish someone had told me that before my infant daughter had to undergo a court-ordered blood test. Twice, since my ex d*cked around so long dodging the courts her sample was no longer good. But I guess you know more about this than I do. And more than the two lawyers involved. And the judge.

Davis, I am having the same problem with you I have with all MRAs. You say something like, “Instead of attacking these men like Elliot, we need to reach out to them and tell them the joys of self acceptance, indifference, and no giving a damn about women who do not want them.” And I almost agree. These men did horrible things, but maybe if someone had gotten through to them earlier, then things might have gone differently. I might not agree with you totally, but I can see where you are coming from.

And yeah, I know what it is to be rejected. I know what it feels like to be convinced I will never be loved. I chose to sink into self-pity for a while, then give it another try. You chose to swear off trying. Both viable options. I might not like the way you talk about your choices, but whatever. The list of things I don’t like is long and dull. I don’t need to like the way everyone talks.

So far, so good. You should have just stopped talking

But then … and there’s always a “but then…” But then you went on to talk about women lying about rape and cheating men out of child support and bashing men and hating men who are “socially awkward” (whatever that means) and I swear I can see the cheat sheet you all read from. Even the wording and phasing is the same. You guys don’t even have the imagination or initiative to put things in your own words. It’s like you are legally obligated to all use the same script.

… and 3 ….2… 1.. cue “I’m not an MRA.”

Shiraz

Oh god, sparky. No, you’re fine. This thread has been moving fast, is all.

weirwoodtreehugger

I think our troll has confused the Maury Povich show with a court of law.

hippodameia8527
hippodameia8527

Yep, this is Erin again. How incredibly pathetic and tedious.

racnad
racnad

“However, unless we hear of a diagnoses of a pathological disorder, can you keep away from mentally disturbed. ”

Why shy away from mentally disturbed? We don’t need to be medical doctors to know that someone vomiting blood has a condition that requires immediate medical attention, and we don’t need to be psychologists or psychiatrists to know that someone who drives around randomly shooting at innocent people is mentally disturbed. People who are not mentally disturbed just don’t do that.

Davis
Davis

@ Shiraz

You can request a Restraining Order against a person who hurt or threatened you, or other family members, by appearing at the Superior Court located nearest to you. A Restraining Order may be requested whether or not an arrest has been made or the police have been called. A Domestic Violence Restraining Order is always free. In many courts, free legal assistance is available or you can represent yourself.

cloudiah

TIL that “request” a RO means “obtain” a RO.

J.J
J.J

Well, if the men in question avoid women as well as you seem to be doing at the moment, I don’t think it’ll help any. No one here likes you, yet you’re still here. Are you doing the ‘Oh goody they’re paying attention to me I feel validated and like I am the best man to ever be a man?’ thing. ‘Cause that’s pretty childish.

And what, should racists/homophobes/whatever other kind of bigots shut out all of those people? I mean, I doubt anyone that they hate wants to hang out with them, and there’s no way of forcing them to interact socially, but it’s illegal to refuse to buy/sell/rent property etc to someone on the basis of not liking them. What would be the defense be? ‘Oh, I don’t want to get too angry and shoot any black people, so I don’t let them live around me or sell stuff to them.’ Pfft. Yeah. Great solution.

Kim
Kim

@Davis

The only ways to carry out your ‘solution’ is for those men to move to or create a place where there were no women or where all the women were locked up away from them. Oh, what’s that you say? Rodger though locking up all the women and letting them die was a good idea? I guess he did agree with your solution. Wanting women to not exist does not lead to women living long and happy lives.

Shiraz

Yeah. One of our stupidest trolls. No reading comprehension. Bad with words. Repeats himself endlessly. Lies about his background. Short temper. calls women gendered slurs. No understanding of history, law or sociology. It’s too boring now.

cloudiah

And that’s in Los Angeles.

My friend whose partner tried to strangle her had to pay for a lawyer in order to go to court to get a Restraining Order. The fact that her throat was still visibly bruised and her speech was affected didn’t actually make any difference to the judge, who admitted he was leaning towards not issuing the RO until the (male) police officer who witnessed the aftermath of the attack testified on her behalf.

hippodameia8527
hippodameia8527

So Joe/Erin/Davis is a farmer who lives directly on the beach with his chickens in his gun shop construction site.

Seriously, dude? This is the best you’ve got?

House Mouse Queen
Reply to  Davis

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! You know what dudebro, you even made my baby mouse laugh at your ridiculous male self. Go creep around elsewhere.

bbeaty
bbeaty

Dude. Do even know what ignoring means?

Horror of horrors.

cloudiah

@Davis, Shiraz is awesome. You’re worse than herpes.

Davis
Davis

@ Kim and JJ

No woman wants guys like them, so why should they have to accept women?

Davis.

If leaving women alone is such a brilliant, foolproof strategy, why aren’t you doing it?

moldybrehd

Everyday, this song runs through my head, lol. It’s worth the price.

The chia doesn’t have much of a taste. I soak it for 10 minutes, so it absorbs the water and gets gel-like, and mix it in. The texture is a lot like raspberry seeds, which would probably bother me, but I also add a really great granola to it, and the crunch covers it up.

One day I forgot I hadn’t bought more yogurt, and I’d already soaked the chia, so I tried it out plain. Very weird, but no real flavour, so I ate it anyway, lol.

J.J
J.J

@Davis. That’s all you got? You can’t counter anyone’s point, so you resort to name calling. You’re either really dedicated (in which case, it’s just stupid now, you can stop) or you’re…well, I don’t say this easily, but…yeah. Jerk. Loser. Creep.

Still can’t find cat!Castiel fan art. /sigh

weirwoodtreehugger

There’s a new suspect for who Davis is the sock is. Remember Ronnie Libra? The one who compared criticizing PUA to rape. He fixated on Shiraz too.

Whatever the case, Davis you are being very creepy. I feel confident that whenever David comes back online the banhammer is coming down.

dustedeste
dustedeste

Calling people “kid;” it’s so totally Erin. Vai via, Davis, you buco di culo.

dustedeste
dustedeste

Ohhhh noooooo he’s getting MANGRY! We won’t like him when he’s MANGRY!

I mean, we didn’t like him anyways, so.

contrapangloss

I found my flux capacitor! I’m off to rescue Nemo, now.

I’m trying to figure out if it’s the one with the friend with the mermaid ex-girlfriend (who left him for a trout) or if it’s the adorable fish.

My mission folder doesn’t say.

Just another day at the IMF!