off topic open thread

Semi-Open Thread for Happy Things. No Trolls.

Well, the box is correctly labeled, at least.
Well, the box is correctly labeled, at least.

An open thread — well, a semi-open thread — for all of those needing a respite from the news. No trolls, no arguments, no discussion of depressing stuff. Adorable animal pics encouraged.

If you have personal stuff to discuss that is more serious, there’s a separate thread for that here.

Email me if someone misbehaves here.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

Congratulations, magnesium. I’m going to grad school at 32, so I can sort of sympathize. It’s hard to break yourself out of a comfortable routine and take on risk and the unknown. I’m sure you’ll do well. Anecdotally, in my TA work, I’ve noticed that older students that have actually experienced real life a little are way more professional and effective students.

Here’s an IcySpicyLeoncie video as a poetv secret handshake (ashtar.) No one can be in a bad mood watching Leoncie.

Kim
Kim

I just took my bf for a long weekend in the Whitsundays. We stayed on a small island and there were cute little wallabies hopping around. They would come right up to us when we were sitting outside our room. this kind of wallaby – http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-r4ENBtHEYCg/T4ppCCbBBrI/AAAAAAAAF_c/4MB88cOpxr4/s1600/agiles1000IMG_0473.JPG One of them was just a baby.

We also went diving out at the reef (was my bfs first time!) and the coral looked so healthy and colourful. Was a relief to see that some of it doing ok at least. This is where we went -> http://www.australiantraveller.com/the-whitsundays/001-hardy-reef-qld/ Though we were on the outer edge aka as The Drop Off! (by me anyway)

Selfie
Selfie

Oh, nice! Are you an editor, then?

Selfie
Selfie

Um, that was @ cloudiah

I think Katz was one of the people in that conversation.

BritterSweet

I’m back from the UK. Had to cut the trip short for less-than-happy reasons, but I enjoyed what time I did spend in England and Scotland. We expected there to be rain, but my mom and I had sunshine every day wherever we went! One of the other people on the tour bus jokingly said, “Maybe you brought the Hawaii sun with you.”

Catfish
Catfish

I’m going to a friend’s place soon. She has a sick horsey 🙁 But the horse is getting better and better and I’m gonna be there to help her treat the pretty thing.
She also has the most adorable finnhorse / arabian x estonian pony (with some akhal teke further down the pedigree) cross that is just the sweetest silliest thing. Also, KITTIES ! Three of them ! All adorable. Gonna have a day full of hard work, but also horses. And kitties.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

I love Done Rosa myself. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is possibly one of the best comic books ever written.

^ Truth.

Children of the broccoli
Children of the broccoli

I have a job interview tomorrow! I’ve been unemployed since last July, and this is the first call back I’ve had. I’m super excited!

Marie
Marie

@selfie

Does anyone else here write a great deal? Like, ‘writin’ a book’ type writing? I remember people talking about it, on an old thread, but I can’t find it.

I used to. I try, but everythings been harder since depression.

@children of the broccoli

Good luck with your interview! 😀

cloudiah

Finally did a new blog post, prompted by some of katz’s artistry in this very thread. I still owe it to you all to post about some of the tremendous poetry we’ve created here.

Fade

@selfie

i think the conversation was in the thread with the title “the battle against feminism….” and stufff i can’t remember. but yeah, lots of people here to write.

@children of broccoli

good luck!

cloudiah

Oh @Selfie, I’m not an editor, nor do I have any editing skills, but katz was kind enough to send me a draft to read. I’m about 3 chapters in!

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

Yay, children of the broccoli! Hope interview goes well.
I am making koiugn amman for tomorrow’s breakfast. First time with this recipe (tried another I wasn’t happy with). Will probably be edible regardless (basically, caramel croissant. There’s only so much room for bad there).

Howard Bannister

I write pretty much constantly. Been too busy since November, sadly, to do anything of note. But I’m going to try to jam out another manuscript this summer. If they all keep getting better and better, which I happen to think they are, maybe someday I’ll even get published. 😛

Ally S

I’ve been trying to write more, but depression’s been hitting me and making hard for me to even write in my journal. 🙁

Howard Bannister

Ally, been there. There’s big portions of my journal that just have cryptic entries like ‘I don’t want to write today, and I don’t know why.’ (because my method to make sure I at least wrote was to make a rule that I had to write daily, even if only to say that I wouldn’t be writing and why)

And I don’t know how to beat that. I know how I beat that–I found a therapist who helped me be okay where I was and pushed me to excel where I could. And he was really awesome. But therapy doesn’t always work.

I hope you’re able to get through the depression.

Fade

@ally

what kind of stuff do you write/would you write if your depression wasn’t yucky?

re writing

i used to want to publish a novel, and have written some, but i’ve recently accepted that i can’t focus on that and school at the same time. right now i’m writing/drawing a webcomic that updates once a week, because it’s a lot lower stress for me.

@cloudiah

well, editing/reading for mistakes is hard work (even if you’re not like an official editor). XD tho i imagine katz’s novel is awesome and that would make it fun.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

I write, when I’m able to get past my fear and perfectionism. Hillary Rettig is helping me with that: http://www.hillaryrettig.com/books/the-7-secrets-of-the-prolific/

Yep, I’ve written scads, although Among the Red Stars is the first in a long time that has really felt ready for the big leagues. Although out of my first 29 queries I’ve got 9 rejections and 1 request for a first five, so maybe I’m overestimating myself.

Anyone who isn’t reading Fade’s webcomic should be.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I love the idea of positive pranking. Here’s one where they brought a 5-star restaurant experience to a homeless shelter:

Fade

tho i should mention, for my comic (that katz linked to) content notes: violence, gore, guns.

fromafar2013

This happened just now and made me laugh.

My dog thinks she’s a kitty.

fromafar: Is the cat in the dog’s bed?

fromafar2013

Lol, since the dog bed is technically the entire couch, not at the moment. ;D

Don’t know why, but she won’t budge! I’ve been laughing at her and taking pictures and she just looks up at me innocently, like, “Wut? What’s funny?”

I have just discovered that dommes in Weimar Germany wore color-coded boots indicating their specialties, and this makes me happy. Imagine the hilarious misunderstandings involving gold laces.

fromafar2013

It occurred to me that I do have a picture of what happens when there is a cat in the dog bed in my bedroom.

Sharing is caring!

Where by “sharing” we mean “the cat sits in the middle of the bed and the dog tries to find room around the edge.”

fromafar2013

It’s just the natural hierarchy based on the innate biological differences between cats and dogs. Clearly, cats are just the higher ranking members of our overlords’ organization because cats are inherently superior in every conceivable way, but especially intellectually. BIOTRUTHS.

hellkell
hellkell

fromafar: Ginger cat! Yours looks like a bigger version of Biscuit.

The mighty B has been terrified all last night/today because there’s been thunder. Poor little dude is all big eyes and snuggles right now.

fromafar2013

Yep, that’s my derpy orange kitty, Kyo. My avatar is based on him. He’s all snuggles and is super tolerant of even the worst dog behavior. Haru, his cow kitty brother, does not put up with any dog bull shit. None.

Selfie
Selfie

I’m kind of surprised that it wasn’t about Vox Day, really. He always inspires me to think anyone can get published, even me.

kittehserf

fromafar, animal pics are never spam! Your furry overlords are adorable.

cloudiah, I’ve seen some of the Zarathustra pics before, but never good big shots of them – I am SO ENVIOUS of Svetlana Petrova’s digital skills.

I love, love, love the Russian Woman with Cat in Vet Collar one.

kittehserf

How all weather reports should be done.

lurkerina

@kittehserf
Squueeeeeeee!

kittehserf

Me too, lurkerina!

… I want a job as a weather reader now.

I want eine Studiokatze.

kittehserf

I suggested to Mads we’d make a great weather-reading team. She’d have to stop doing the squirmsquirmsquirm thing, though.

Mind you she does like being cuddled baby-style, on her back. That would ramp up the cute factor, too.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

My cat is the perfect weather-report companion cat. You can hold her either over your shoulder or baby-style for ages and she’ll just lay there purring and making cute paws. The occasional headbut under the chin might dislodge the mic, though.

kittehserf

Awww!

Ledasmom
Ledasmom

Random thought that I’ve been keeping around for a few years: If I ever have so much money that I don’t have to worry about making any more, I shall open a combined used-mystery-book and specialty-yarn store, and call it Get a Clew.

Anarchonist
Anarchonist

Some personal good news: After weeks of insomnia and bad quality sleep, my body finally gave in and allowed me to fall asleep right after I came home from work yesterday. I slept like a baby kitten for almost fourteen hours straight. My stomach started working again, my muscles don’t ache anymore, and I feel like I actually want to be active and do stuff that I’ve been putting off for far too long.

To make a bad analogy, I feel like a water bottle that’s been emptied of the old, stale water inside, washed, rinsed, and finally filled with cool, fresh water. Feels great.

Zolnier
Zolnier

I just found this song and can’t stop listening, very uplifting.

(I can see how this video might be upsetting to someone grieving or in a similar emotional state, so cautious TW)

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Last year, on June 1st, my partner and I moved into our own place (we had been living with his mom for a couple of years), and as we were midway between out 7th and 8th anniversaries, the topic of marriage came up. He said he’d like to live alone-together for a year and make sure we didn’t hate it before making that kind of commitment, and since no one wants to be married to someone who doesn’t want to be married to them, I told him to take all the time he needed.

Last night, over dinner, he offered a vague apology for being behind schedule and not having bought the “round thing” in time for June 1st. We had a non-committal conversation in which he not-really-but-totally-did say “it’s gonna happen”. So it’s not official yet, but I’m like 95% engaged.

kittehserf

emilygoddess, yay, congrats!

Anarchonist, yay for sleep!

Ledasmom, I want to work at your shop. Or else buy stuff there.

There’ll be a shop cat, I presume?

cloudiah

Congratulations, emilygoddess and Anarchonist! May all good things continue for you both!

Emily: MOAR MAMMOTHEER WEDDINGS!

Robert
Robert

Update on roast pork. It came out tender enough to cut with a butter knife. The dry rub didn’t spice it up too much, so good that we had the barbecue sauce (which was peppery and vinegary, not tomatoey and sweet). After eight hours in the slow cooker, I moved it to the oven for an hour to get some crispy bits (I do love me some crispy bits), then tented it with foil and let it rest. So good, my husband had seconds. The pan juices were defatted and saved to make gravy for the meat pies on Saturday. So much collagen turned into gelatin during roasting that the refrigerated juices set like Jell-O. It’s a good thing I enjoy cooking as much as I do.

Oh, and last time I brought up D&D, someone invited me to share stories. One that comes to mind is the party’s visit to the Satrapy of Grond. A retired adventurer had negotiated a deal with a feudal lord to clear out a territory (defeat bandits, slay monsters, build a town, etc) and then rule it herself while acknowledging him as liege. She brought in advisors to help with the economic development. They were from an island nation called Freeport. Freeporters are descended from a successful slave revolt hundreds of years earlier, and have a culture that somehow combines egalitarianism with libertarianism. Now, Grond has a thriving economy and attracts settlers yearning to breathe free and work hard. Think of what would have happened if the U.S. constitution had been written by Benjamin Franklin and Adam Smith. The party was both fascinated and somewhat appalled, and very relieved to be just passing through.

One thing that has struck me in looking back on my career as Dungeon Master is how often economics has been a feature of my campaigns. As in, there are actual plot points regarding how the merchants are organized, what goods they deal in, where caravans come from and where they’re going. I even had an urban storyline in which the hobbits’ merchants guild was using organized crime tactics to overthrow the human merchants guild. The hobbits had urbanized and become (wait for it) small business owners. Given that I’ve never even worked in the private sector, it makes me wonder.

Zolnier
Zolnier

Hope the last five percent fills in smoothly emilygoddess:)