a voice for men a woman is always to blame antifeminism crackpottery GirlWritesWhat homophobia misogyny MRA oppressed men playing the victim sympathy for murderers

AVFM asks: Was the Fort Hood shooting the fault of same-sex marriage and the "Lesbo Circle of Doom?"

Harmful to males? One AVFM writer thinks so.
Harmful to males? One AVFM writer thinks so.

On April 2, Army Specialist Ivan Lopez shot and killed three people on the Fort Hood military base in Texas, before turning his gun on himself; 16 others were injured. It’s not clear what caused Lopez’ killing spree, though the incident seems to have been triggered by the difficulties he encountered trying to get a 24-hour pass to attend his mother’s funeral.

But a writer for A Voice for Men, Michael Conzachi, has a novel explanation for the tragedy: the military’s excessive niceness towards lesbians and gays.

In a post entitled “What role has feminism played in the shooting at Fort Hood and its aftermath?” Conzachi sets forth his thesis:

Numerous directives from the Pentagon and the Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services (DACOWITS), of which some in the military refer to the group as the “Super-Feminists” or jokingly, the “Lesbo Circle of Doom,” allow for and promote an immediate leave period of five days for same sex military couples to marry. …

How is it that a large contingent of feminist dominated military and Pentagon leadership enacts policies that favor, prioritize, and give expanded benefits for same sex couples; yet Specialist Lopez apparently was only allowed two days to bury his mother?

If that was you, and you could only get two days to attend to your mother’s death, and you see same sex military couples being allowed five days immediate leave to marry; wouldn’t that bother you a little, regardless of what your opinions are of gay and same sex couples? Where is the equality?

Yep. An unhinged man murders his fellow soldiers in cold blood. Let’s blame it on same-sex marriage and the “Lesbo Circle of Doom.”

At least Conzachi admits that his theory is only a theory, and that “whether or not we will ever learn [the shooter’s] true motives is unknown.”

Setting aside the absurdity, and offensiveness, of Conzachi’s argument for a moment, he’s wrong to suggest that same-sex couples are somehow being coddled by “Lesbo” brass.  Straight couples can also get marriage leaves of up to 3 days, and the reason the military gives extra time to same-sex couples is that many of them have to travel long distances to get married, since same-sex marriage is only legal in 17 states. The military has been slow to actually implement the new policies, and many same-sex couples have simply been denied leave to get married. Soldiers, regardless of sexual orientation, also have 30 days of earned leave each year they can use to get married.

Coznachi spends the rest of his post tearing down the female officer who confronted Lopez and brought an end to his killing spree.

He ends with this question — a question that he seems to have already answered to his own satisfaction:

Are the military’s priorities of same sex couple, gay, and women in combat issues harmful to males in general?

A number of those who are associated with A Voice for Men — most notably “managing editor ” Dean Esmay and “contributing editor” Karen Straughan — profess to be great Friends of the Gays; indeed Straughan describes herself as a “genderqueer, bisexual … woman”).

I can only wonder why they would want to associate themselves with a site that publishes articles suggesting that supporting the rights of same sex couples in the military to marry is “harmful to males in general.”

AIT
AIT

Disgusting. I know they love to use any tragedy to blame women, or anyone who isn’t white cys straight male, but damn. This hits close to home for me, so a giant “fuck you” to Conzachi.

Lesbo Circle of Doom

I know Harrison Ford has aged a bit but I am so going to see this film when it comes out.

Lids

This sounds familiar – didn’t a MRM movement blame a shooting on women a few months ago? Only that time it was because no one would have sex with the guy so that was clearly why he killed people and clearly women are to blame for not having sex with him.

Do you ever get the feeling that they hate women and blame them for everything?

Well, not everything, have to leave room for the LGBTQA+ and racial minorities oppressing them too.

cloudiah

Even the reddit MRAs were taken aback by this argument, and they normally lap up everything AVfM

hellkell
hellkell

Any old assfax will do if it can be used to blame women for something.

titianblue

Well, obviously a male officer would have gunned down Lopez before he had a chance to kill himself. Which would have made such a difference. I mean, if Lopez had been killed by the officer, then he couldn’t have gone on to, er, kill himself.

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

What is even the fuck here. I mean really. This is just ridiculous (and by that, I mean even more ridiculous than usual). How does any of that make any sense to anyone.

Kootiepatra
Kootiepatra

It seems like a really bad strategy to project one’s own ideology onto a mass-murderer. Just saying.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

More passive-aggressive threat making. Do want we want or we might just have to flip out and kill people.

titianblue

Ah, no,@Kootiepatra, not when one is hoping to frighten and silence half the population. Then one can say to those people “Look what you make one of us do by how you are behaving. If you don’t stop behaving like that, more of us will lose control and shoot you all. Be afraid. Be very afraid.”

I wonder (not really), why does that sound exactly like a gaslighting abuser?

Ooops, ninj’d by zoon

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I keep waiting for AVFM to run an article about how feminists cause earthquakes, tsunamis, and hurricanes.

titianblue

@cassandrakitty – on the day they announce their support for UKIP, presumably?

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

You expressed it better, titian.

This made me think of The Onion’s “Gays Too Precious To Risk In Combat” video. What’s funny is that if you replace “gays” with “women,” this is how MRAs think the military really works. Since the repeal of DADT in the US, I’m sort of surprised that I haven’t heard them complaining that now gay men are no longer ineligible for the draft and this is clearly a feminist plot.

Ally S

That’s just terrible. Queer folks are treated slightly nicer in one respect than straight folks – it is only a matter of time before the queerarchy is established.

And yet they accuse us of “looking for things to be offended at”. Hypocrites.

Viscaria
Viscaria

“Males in general,” you know, the real males. The straight ones.

That is what that means, right?

DreamingRainne (@DreamingRainne)

@cassandrakitty Well, that hypothesis was already tested, and the evidence was against it, turns out.

sparky
sparky

I didn’t believe this. Certainly, I thought, even AVFM wouldn’t publish a lot tearing down an officer who confronted an armed shooter? Even if that was officer was a woman, wouldn’t thy have some kind of basic respect for the bravery it takes to do that? But no. Nope, he does indeed spend the rest of he post tearing down the female officer.

I don’t really know why I was so surprised. Anyone who would blame one person choosing to pick up a gun and shoot other people on something so completely and totally unrelated as gay marriage is not well versed with the concept of logic.

And is a hateful asshole.

weirwoodtreehugger

That was my thought too, Cassandra. I’m just waiting to hear about how gays and feminism caused this weekend’s tornado outbreak.

Ally S

I don’t even like to call the MRM a “movement” anymore because of this nonsense. They’re just a bunch of people clinging to a reactionary ideology that only serves as a platform for defending and attempting to justify privilege.

Auntie Alias
Auntie Alias

feminist dominated military and Pentagon leadership

Assfax.

From the comments section:

Honestly that headline really scared me, I know that we’re not a community of wing-nuts, but the likes of Man-Boobz will not go as far as actually reading the article, we should remain cautious… :-

Wrong-o!

Z
Z

Speaking of GirlWritesWhat, I just found out that she has a TVTropes page. As a result of the wiki’s entrhonement of fanboyism, it’s pretty much an excuse to link to as much of her videos as possible, and even the YMMV (Your Milleage May Vary) page is used to forestall criticism.

And now I need brain bleach. 🙁

Bina
Bina

The shooter shot things up because WOMEN IN THE MILITARY ARE GETTING GAY MARRIED! And then when a woman in the military (who may or may not be gay and/or gay-married) stops the shooter, that too is a bad thing?

I’m starting to think all these people just plain hate women. There is no other way for this whack-logic to make sense.

Nitram
Nitram

“If that was you, and you could only get two days to attend to your mother’s death, and you see same sex military couples being allowed five days immediate leave to marry; wouldn’t that bother you a little, regardless of what your opinions are of gay and same sex couples?”

Yeah, it would bother me if I couldn’t get the time off I needed when others could. I’d want more time. My instinct would be to try and get more time or complain that I didn’t get enough. It would not be to want others to have less time or hold it against them or resent people who are getting what they need just because I’m not. Human 101.

moldybrehd

It seems weird to compare time off to get married with time off for a funeral. Though now I’m curious; how much leave time do heterosexual soldiers get for weddings?

Bina
Bina

Yup, I remember that.

And I’m surprised I haven’t heard one of them blame Maren Sanchez for getting stabbed by that guy she didn’t want to go to her prom with…yet.

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

@Z Ew, I just checked out the WhatGirlWrites Tv Tropes page. It’s entirely made up of MRA-fanboy worship.

I mean, know from prior experience at tv tropes that a lot of the works pages are made up of either die hard fans who refuse see their baby criticized, or die hard haters who want it to look as bad as possible, or they both are going at it in a massive edit war. But still, could I borrow some of that brain bleach, please? 🙁

titianblue

Yep, it’s only a matter of time before MRAs start going on about what an entitled princess she was and how she must have provoked her killer until the poor frustrated boy lost control.

There’s already all this stuff in the media that she refused the prom date because she already had a boyfriend. As if it would not have been ok for her to reject her killer for any reason other than that she was already owned by another male. As if she had to have a justification for turning down a date other than, you know, she didn’t want to.

contrapangloss

Bwahahahaha!

Welcome Package for the lurker!

And, some complimentary brain bleach (of kind of mean, but adorable, furrinati):

Did I do it right, this time? [waits in anticipation]

contrapangloss

Whoot! It worked.

Okay, back to work, with me.

chronic lurker
chronic lurker

@contrapangloss
awww, cutest brain bleach Ever! 😀

and thanks for the lurker package. ^_^

Bina
Bina

Oh, but feeeemales aren’t supposed to HAVE wants…unless they coincide exactly what some guy wants from them. Isn’t that logic just the neatest, most rational thing?

cohenafterworld
cohenafterworld

Lesbo Circle of Doom has a nice ring to it, I think.

Ugh, yeah, that’s why I stopped hanging around there. The structure of the site inherently lends it to slowly disintegrating into fan wank.

Have a look at their “male disposability” page sometime.

Bina
Bina

Ahem…WITH what. I can write, really!

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I don’t do TV tropes but isn’t it about, you know, TV? Because as far as I know GWW has yet to get her own Fox News show.

(She would fit right in, though.)

Ally S

An MRA TV show on Fox News. :: shudders ::

Z
Z

Not that kind of TV. 🙂 It started as a wiki discussing patterns (“tropes”) in TV series such as Buffy, then metastized to other kinds of fiction, music, games and “New Media”. GWW is there courtesy of being a ‘Tuber, I guess.

The format is quite shallow and inherently prone to “this is the best X EVAH!”, and the current site policy makes it worse. It’s sufferable/understandable when applied to art/fiction – people’s tastes vary – but turns into a major trainwreck outside of that sphere. Let’s just say that there is a page about Rush Limbaugh…

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Limbaugh has fans who know how to use the internet?

marinerachel
marinerachel

Gosh, she’s a terrible person. If you’re really isolated, paranoid and not terribly inquisitive though she sounds reasonable because all she’s doing is reinforcing your feels. I’ve heard men say “she makes sense” except nothing she says is fact-based. She would have sense though if you’re already in that headspace, seeking validation for their anxieties.

marinerachel
marinerachel

I beg your pardon, “She would MAKE sense”*

Robert
Robert

Titianblue, good point re: Maren Sanchez. I have a suspicion that if she had been heard to say, “no, I won’t go with you, you’re a violent, unstable creep,” there would already have been multiple manospherians defending him with vigor.

@robert, horriibly likely.

justabrowngirl

Just when I think these people hit the bottom of the barrel, they just keep digging.

Alice Sanguinaria

I feel as if MRAs are just trying to fight to be at the bottom of a bottomless pit.

Also, “Lesbo Circle of Doom” is a cool name for a band.

zoon echon logon
zoon echon logon

I don’t have a source, but people on the internet say that GWW is a waitress. This a noble profession and does not disqualify her from having intelligent opinions on academic matters. Her stupid opinions do that.

Lili Fugit
Lili Fugit

Lesbo Circle of Doom is pretty awesome. Well.

A gal can dream.

Marie

@marineracheal

“Just curious: does GWW have a job? Like, is she a productive member of society? Or has she just eeked out a position of being kept afloat by the MRA community while doing nothing but reinforcing their delusions via assfax?”

Does it matter?idk how to say this so it makes sense, but I’m just getting the vibe where job is getting used to mean worthwhile human being, amd it just seems off.

Lesbo circle of doom…. Dot tumblr dot com

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Oh, she can have all the opinions she wants, it’s just that people are going to point out that those opinions are really really stupid.

mythago

Why would an MRA be against same-sex marriage? It allows the menz to have sex without icky females getting near their money, and if women pair up, they’re not leeching off the poor poor men.