a new woman to hate a voice for men antifeminism atheism atheism minus bullying creepy douchebaggery emotional abuse empathy deficit evil fat fatties harassment hypocrisy men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA threats

How Melody Hensley is putting the bullies to shame

bully

Yesterday, a message arrived in my email inbox with the title “Are you happy to die a virgin,” a somewhat unusual question, I felt, not just because of its faulty premise but also because of its lack of the conventional question mark at the end. The email itself was equally blunt and illiterate:

You sound like a 40 y/o FAT VIRGIN living in a basement rotting away. Is manboobz.com your way of hide behind your own internal issues u refuse to face? Father issues???

Ah, here’s where the missing question mark went, along with some friends.

The sender appended a photo of an extremely obese Asian man at least 20 years my junior, mostly if not completely nude, along with the question (and I quote verbatim) “This this photo you??”

As hate mail goes, this isn’t particularly interesting and original. What got my attention was the sender: it came from the admin account at mensrightsmelbourne.com, an Australian Men’s Rights site taking much of its inspiration from Men’s Rights Edmonton (its website design) and A Voice for Men (its propaganda). So this wasn’t simply some anonymous internet troll sending me puerile hate mail: this is one of Australia’s most visible MRAs.

On the front page I noticed something else: A post with the title: “‘Twitter gave me PTSD’: Woman claims mean comments and ‘cyberstalking’ gave her an illness usually suffered by WAR VETERANS.”

The post – most of which is plagiarised directly from The Daily Mail, including the title itself – is an attack on Melody Hensley, a feminist and skeptic who is the Executive Director of Center for Inquiry in Washington DC. Hensley, who in the past suffered intense harassment from misogynists in the skeptic movement and other assorted assholes, is now facing a second wave of harassment as a result of saying publicly that the earlier harassment had given her Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

That’s right: she’s being harassed for saying that harassment so fucked up her life that it gave her PTSD.

While much of the most vicious harassment this time is coming, as it did last time, from the misogynist wing of the atheist/skeptic movement, MRAs are jumping on board as well.

The “argument” of Hensley’s enemies? That she couldn’t possibly have gotten PTSD from “mean words” online. Men’s Rights blogger The Native Canadian put it this way:

PTSD from being a feminist on the internet? Yeah I bet she wakes up screaming at night because of all the mean words! Must be hard going day to day with flash backs of your friends being called “femnazi’s” right in front of you! How ever do you handle life? Fucking disgraceful b****. Let’s see her tell that to someone who really knows what living with PTSD is like. …

I’m sorry but I am totally shocked, I don’t know what else to say, other than, is there nothing sacred to these cat lovers?

And that’s pretty much the argument all of them make: based on nothing but their own vague notion that PTSD is a serious thing that only happens to soldiers, they’ve decided she’s a lying “b****” who is trying to steal the sympathy that rightly belongs to men. (Never mind that her comments on Twitter about veterans suffering from PTSD are always respectful.)

As Hensley has made clear, she’s not claiming that a few mean tweets gave her PTSD. On a page she’s set up to help raise money for research into PTSD she notes:

In July of 2013 I publicly disclosed that I had been diagnosed by my psychiatrist with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) due to more than a year of online harassment and abuse. The abuse -including death and rape threats- occurred on numerous websites and via email, phone, online postings, images, and videos.

Is it possible for this sort of harassment to cause PTSD? Well, according to someone who knows a lot more about the subject than me or The Native Canadian or the dude at Men’s Rights Melbourne or the staff writers at The Daily Mail, the answer is a clear yes. Caleb W. Lack, a licensed clinical psychologist and psychology professor who writes a blog called Great Plains Skeptic, and who is an expert on anxiety disorders, writes in a recent post on the Hensley controversy that

Bullying has long been known to have a severe impact on mental health, particularly if the bullying is repeated and prolonged. While research has traditionally focused on youth (as briefly reviewed here), more recent work has examined it’s impact on adults. as well, particularly in the workplace. Research focusing specifically on cyberbullying has found very similar results to “traditional” bullying, in terms of increased risk of depression, suicide, and anxiety. In youth, around a third of bullying victims display quite high rates of PTSD symptoms and rates are perhaps even higher in adults who are bullied.

So, given what we know about PTSD, and given what we know about the effects of bullying (cyber and otherwise) on mental health, I think it’s relatively safe to say that “Yes, you can ‘get’ PTSD from Twitter.” One needs to be careful, though, to be specific about this: it’s the bullying and harassment that could lead to PTSD or PTSD symptoms (as well as depression, increased suicidality, and so on), not anything inherent to Twitter itself. Twitter and other forms of social media are just a new tool to use to bully and harass others, but the underlying mechanisms and the results are the same as if these interactions were face to face.

The internet isn’t somehow apart from the “real world.” It’s a part of it, and actions on the internet have real world consequences. Unfortunately, the internet seems to magnify the power of bullies. But it may also magnify the power of bullying victims to fight back.

Of course, the bullies don’t want to acknowledge that what they are doing is bullying. Indeed, many of the worst bullies in the skeptic and Men’s Rights movements consider themselves “activists” — even though the bulk of their “activism” may consist of nothing more than harassing individuals. That may be part of what is driving the widespread refusal to accept that online harassment can lead to real trauma, including PTSD.

And that may be why the guy at Men’s Rights Melbourne — that is, a guy who sent me a crude, bullying email calling me a “FAT VIRGIN” — felt the need to weigh in on the Hensley’s case, and to insinuate ( in one of the few portions of his post that wasn’t plagiarised) that she’s making it all up.

But on some level the bullies know that they’re bullies. There’s no question that the new wave of harassment against Hensley is driven by one of the central dynamics of bullying — offline and on. Bullies love to pounce on anyone who shows signs of vulnerability, and Hensley’s announcement that she suffers from PTSD is a sign that the first wave of bullying got to her.

Happily, that’s not the whole story. What really seems to infuriate Hensley’s enemies is that she’s not acting like they think a victim should. She’s not shutting up and going away. She’s back on Twitter and responding to critics, because doing so gives her a sense of control over her bullies. She’s taking power away from them.

On A Voice for Men, Dean Esmay tries his best, in a barely coherent post, to paint her as a “professional damsel in distress” who deserves to be distressed some more. But the tweets of hers he reposts aren’t very damsel-like; they’re blunt and direct and they call out bullies by name. And when she posts them she knows she has the support of a lot of people who are as disgusted by the bullies as she is.

And while the bullies fulminate, she’s raising money for PTSD research. Because she’s an actual fucking activist, not a bully with a Twitter account, or a website, or a YouTube channel.

EDIT: There has been a lot of really good stuff written about Hensley and PTSD, particularly on Freethought Blogs. Here are some links to interesting, useful, insightful posts.

How could Twitter possibly cause PTSD? by Stephanie Zwan, documents some of the harassment.

What Melody Hensley Has to Teach You About Professionalism, an older (2013) piece by Zvan

Your Uninformed and Incorrect Opinions About Psychology, by Miri Mogilevsky

A Voice for Me – AVfM and Thunderfoot on PTSD, by Avicenna

PTSD and Me(lody), by Avicenna

Feel free to post more links in the comments!

NOTE TO DRIVE-BY ASSHOLES: If you want to talk about what a liar you think Melody Hensley is, don’t bother trying to post comments here. I mean, you can if you want; it’s just that it takes me a lot less time to throw them in the trash than it does for you to write them.

Ally S

Seeing this erasure, mockery, and scorn directed at a mentally disabled woman is actually ruining my mood even though I have chosen to not read any more about this shameful, despicable display of “activism” coming from MRAs and their kind. I’ve been having my own hellish experiences of ableism lately, so it hits extra hard when I hear something like this.

tealily
tealily

MRAs and others who share their points of view have always denigrated women, being female, and anything women tend to like, along with men who happen to like the same things. It’s fine for men to have interests that are primarily geared toward them, or that most men share, and it’s absolutely fine for them to get together and socialize, but when women do it, we’re “herd animals”. Seriously, can there be bigger herd animals than a group that has extreme masculine/feminine, right/wrong gender traits/roles and can’t deal with life if others don’t adhere to their beliefs? Talk about projection.

As everyone has mentioned, PTSD has never just been about military personnel sufferers. I got mine from having a childhood marred by a chaotic home thanks to having a hyper-controlling, sadistic abuser of a father who is a dead ringer attitude and behavior wise for an MRA. All the abusive bullying they are doing is exactly the shit my father did to people 40+ years ago. They are nothing new or special. Just bullies who have the internet to gather to plan their harassment. And make no mistake, they love it that it hurts people; they live for it.

You should be flattered, David. This is an excellent site that is helping people and getting the word out about abusers and bullies. The smart men and women here are savvy and experienced enough to poke holes in anything the MRM can put out and the MRAs know it. If this site was inconsequential, the loser MRAs wouldn’t be giving you the time of day. Unfortunately, they are just too disturbed to do any of it in a constructive way.

lightcastle
lightcastle

And as long as we are pointing at PTSD resources.

lightcastle
lightcastle

Can we not post links? PTSD.org is doing an indiegogo campaign.

Alice Sanguinaria

🙁 I’m so sory for Ms. Hensley. Want to offer her all the hugs. <3

Ally S

@FortyTwoRose

I’m sorry, Rose. Hugs if you want them. I was going to link to the welcome package, but cloudiah is too good at posting the link before everyone else. =P

Anne Dalton
Anne Dalton

If one looks at the work of Dean Radin it shows how thought can create energy (ie. energy healing/prayer/etc) and negative energy (hatred/etc) can be felt. We are all connected and sadly the Titanic ship of fools won’t get it but that’s ok. This is their last-ditch attempt to destroy what is good and right. They won’t win. One candle in the darkness is all it takes to diminish them. Men and women everywhere are taking a stand for what’s right. The world is in flux and it’s not easy being a voice in the wilderness but its doable. Keep up the good work! 😀

kittehserf

Welcome, FortyTwoRose – adding to the kitty-or-Furrinait-of-your-choice hugs.

AIT, hi! Good to see you posting again. 🙂

grumpycatisagirl

Hi FortyTwoRose! I would love to hear the story behind your nym – I love it but I’m not sure what it means. And thanks for delurking to let us know about you and your story.

augochlorella

It’s been a while since I checked in, but I see the men’s rights movement is back to its favorite form of “activism” again.

Seranvali

It seems to me that if she’s been diagnosed by a psychiatrist any opinion the MRAs have on the subject is completely irrelevant.

seranvali

And since when was “cat lover” an insult? That’s just daft! They get sillier with every post!

naltia
naltia

I’d love it if you reviewed some transcripts for Thunderf00tt. I think I’ve mentioned before that I have an MRA friend who’s a fan, and he use to link Thunderf00t videos to me, so would be good to read a critique from someone else without trudging through those horrible videos myself and having to explain to him why Thunderf00t is a horrible, hypocritical bully.

Granted, it’s not dire for me as it use to be. I now refuse to watch his videos after seeing his “Rape-apology 101″…I mean…”Thunderf00t Mansplains Rape Prevention”…I mean…”Teach Them Not To Rape” video. That one actually made me so angry I wanted to break something.

But here’s something fun (drinking game) for people who are bored and don’t mind watching one of his videos. Look up his video “Feminist Logic’ Stay Safe = You Deserve Rape.” It’s a follow-up of his rape video. First, read the description of this video, in which he says things like:

“Yup these articles are pretty much what I remember from ‘freethoughtblogs’ in that they just drip with pointlessly vitriolic invective. ”

“Personally Im stunned anyone turns up to watch him spit poison at people he doesnt like. Do they really think this OTT name calling is a ‘game winner’?”

“The sad thing, is do they really think they are going to change minds by just spitting poison at people?”

“The bizarre thing is these folks dont seem to have realized that if you have a ‘winning argument’, you dont need to say how biased, or how much you hate things, the arguments alone will stand on their merits. Like this video.”

Now, start the video and take a shot every time Thunderf00t insults, name-calls, spits poison, or spouts hateful bias. I promise you you’ll be completely hammered by the end of the video. Hell, you’ll be taking a shot within the first 10 seconds (not kidding.) 😉

closetpuritan

Speaking of online bullying: http://www.wpbf.com/news/stalker-targets-local-student-filmmaker-on-youtube/25538296
I donated to her Kickstarter. They’ve threatened to harass her financial backers, but so far they haven’t harassed me. I don’t know if they just haven’t gotten around to financial supporters yet, or if it’s because they don’t have my correct address.

Lili Fugit
Lili Fugit

“The Native Canadian”, who doesn’t turn up until the bottom of page three in a Google search, has a bajillion posts hating on women, feminists, cats, and “manginas”– dude has a SERIOUS problem with cats, btw– and seven posts on “Native” issues, including one rather incoherant rant in which he claims Native women hate feminists. Which comes as extreme news to me, but, moving on.

There are numerous plugs on the sidebar of his blog for various First Nations groups, books, and activities, and I didn’t read his “Spirituality” section because anyone who so abjectly loathes cats does not have his spiritual life in order– I mean, you know what, I’m a dog person, I’m not the wildest person in the world about cats, but I certainly don’t hate them, and I’m even mildly entertained by them, and if one wandered up needing something I’d help it, knowing all the while it was a ruse for getting into my house and staying there.

Anyway, he doesn’t say what tribe he is, or rather I didn’t find it, but it’s an unfortunate fact that many a Native man has drunk the white man’s kool-aid, and this guy, alas, seems to fall into that category. That’s embarassing, but I’ve run into them before. (My favorites are the ones who have gone all Christian and try to run women over with that crap while asserting their Indianness all at the same time. Um, noes.)

On the plus side, he seems very concerned about the environment, so. There’s that.

FortyTwoRose
FortyTwoRose

Cloudiah: Thank you so much. I am getting help and I like the welcome package. David, thanks for approving my message so fast and for the welcome. CassandraKitty: (Happily recieves hugs) AIT, Ally S and Kittehserf, thank you

Grumpycatisagirl: Forty Two is the answer to life the universe and everything of course, and Rose is the name of a character in a book I love. 😉

My uninformed musings on cat hatred is that kitties can be therapy cats, especially for women who have experienced some mental illness or are different in their ways of engaging in the world. Because of this, we call these women ‘witches’ and the cats (who help them) ‘familiars’. There just seems to be a connection between neuro-atypical women and cats. Probably men too, I can only go from my experience. And now, new friends, I will go and play with my little furry helper. Thank you again for your kind welcome.

wordsp1nner

So on the cats, I’ve decided to analyze whether my tabby boy is a dark triad alpha or not. After all, he did end up in my bed the first day I met him.

Dark triad traits:
has a tattoo*
bites and swats at my female cat**
um… used to attack my hair, but has learned not to… this one could could go either way

Beta traits:
Likes grooming himself and his friends
Does not like it when I ignore him/lock him out of my bedroom (neediness is not alpha)
exposes weakness/his spotted belly for petting and raspberry-blowing
gets bitten and swatted at by my female cat**
impatiently paws at my bathroom door while I’m showering

I’m going to go with “not alpha” here.
I don’t think that these guys understand cats any more than they understand people.

*In his ear–it’s a mark that he was neutered.
** Play-fighting.

Xen
Xen

“I’ve been bullied (offline, and on). It sucks. The sense of dread when one sees the inbox has a sudden influx of mail… It’s taken some toll, there are times I don’t want to speak out, when I use a burner account to make comments (so that the sorts who will bully can’t get to me directly).”

Ugh, I know that feeling so well.

Also, not all men in the military are in combat positions yet they may experience PTSD. Could be from male rape amongst other things. These guys and their limited vision…

elimisandric
elimisandric

A man I once considered a friend broke into my house in the fall of 2012 and attacked me while I was asleep in my bed. He did face multiple charges, and in the interim between the arrest and the trial, I waded through what I could find of his writings online… I didn’t realize what a terrible idea this was, I was looking for some sort of proof that he knew he couldn’t use rape and violent assault as a casual means of communication of his feelings about being rejected by someone.

I found no such thing. What I did find was a lot of victim-blaming, blatant misogyny, retaliation fantasies toward women who are perceived to have wronged men in some way, etc. I found that there were plenty of MRA hate groups willing to support his ideas and conclusions about these things.

Though time has passed and he is serving time, I have come to find that I am triggered by any significant period of time spent reading these kinds of things. Reading Men’s Rights anything leads to PTSD episodes. Reading articles about these things that clearly identify it for what it is doesn’t trigger anything, and I have a pretty decent grasp on it these days. The flashbacks aren’t of the physical attack, though, they’re of those moments where I was processing that he did not even understand that what he did wasn’t his right, it wasn’t fair or OK in anyway, he did not understand that I was not to blame, and at the time, I didn’t understand that I was not to blame. The flashbacks are of me having to consider that maybe he was not mentally capable of understanding that something was wrong and I should’ve recognized that and I should have known he was both capable and willing to harm me or someone else. I go back to that moment and I get sick and shake and I can’t speak.

The PTSD flashbacks are most frequently of words and ideas, not of actual physical experiences, but mental experiences.

It’s “just the internet”, as in, it’s just a medium of communication, that doesn’t make it imaginary or less real than say… talking on the phone, or talking in person, it just makes it a different medium of communication.

To Melody Hensley: I’m sorry for what has been done to you, I’m sorry that you’re having to work through this disorder, ultimately because of the actions of others. But I am extremely grateful to you for turning this into something that will help others suffering from PTSD. Thank you for what you do, thank you for putting yourself out there and getting shit done. Thank you for being someone who inspires others to keep fighting through this.

And thank you, David, for writing about this. This is a pretty shitty situation overall, but the upside of it really made my day much better.

Brandi
Brandi

[blockquote]And since when was “cat lover” an insult?[/blockquote]

Makes me wonder what they’d say to Ernest Hemingway.

Leisha Young
Leisha Young

I’ve always found that the best way to deal with MRA crap is to state simply “I don’t converse with abusers, I will be deleting any abusive messages you send me without reading”. If they continue to post abusive messages or speak about me to other MRA douchbags I just reply “please remove me from this conversation I do not wish to converse with abusers”. If they keep attacking me I just post “please see my previous message”. If it keeps going? I say “please see my previous, previous message”; still going? “Please see my previous, previous, previous message”, and on it goes until the frustrated little cretin finally gets the message and moves on to abuse someone else.

They get zero satisfaction out of the communication and are not able to go away high fiving his cyber-bro’s for slamming another feminist.

I find by labeling them ‘abusers’ you are stripping them of their identity (as they attempt to do to feminists) and lumping them into one basket (as they do to feminists). You are also sending the message that not everyone thinks like they do and that they are actually a specific sub-culture of men (and sometimes women), who are to be ignored, and consigned to the ‘angry troll’ category and forgotten about.

Oserchenma
Oserchenma

Thanks for taking this on, David. Your courage and journalistic integrity are noted.

weirwoodtreehugger

Xen, I remember reading somewhere that drone operators have among the highest rates of PTSD in the military even though they are not in any physical danger. The technology lets them see who they’re going to kill up close so it’s much more intimate than killing in a combat situation apparently.

Brandi, I can’t figure out what you did wrong to make the blockquote monster reject you. Do you have short hair? Are you over 25? I think blockquote monster is going BQMGTOW (blockquote monster going their own way) on us.

weirwoodtreehugger

I think MRAs hate cats because cats can’t be controlled.

I too would like to try and figure out if my tabby boy is alpha or beta.

Alpha points

He is not afraid of anyone
He chases and tackles my female cat
He manipulates me with ease
He punishes me by knocking down the alarm clock or turning the volume on the radio (I sleep with it on) way up or down if I don’t wake up and feed him early enough
He is big and strong
He picks where he sleeps. If the female cat is sleeping where he wants to be, he will knock her down
The second I brought him home, he jumped right in my bed
He can open cabinets and doors because men get shit done

Beta points

High pitched little meow
When he wants something from me, he blinks and rubs his face on my face instead of negging
He lets the female cat steal his food
He greets me and my visitors at the door. Answering the door is girly hostess work

He’s more of an alpha, but not a complete and total alpha.

Xen
Xen

Ah yeah, I remember that. I think there was a fear that those operating the drones would somehow become less sensitive towards killing people because it resembled a video game or some nonsense. That’s definitely not the case.

wordsp1nner

If my female cat is laying where my tabby boy wants to lay he… climbs right on top of her (see my avatar.)

Deoridhe

I bring you the soothing affection of sloths. 8D 8D 8D

Not to mention the “you’re mentally ill, therefore your perceptions of reality are wrong, therefore you’re no longer allowed to have an opinion on any topic, ever” aspect.

In my experience, people who have unusual perceptions of reality ted to do so along predictable lines, and once you figure out the lines it’s pretty easy to tell what’s going on. Unfortunately, most people hear the diagnosis “schizophrenia” and disregard everything a person has to say. 8( It really sucks.

And for happiness, we finish with True Facts About Sloths:

marinerachel
marinerachel

There’s a real lack of understanding around this story. People literally believe it’s as simple as “She said something silly, people responded by calling her fat and ugly and she developed PTSD”. No! Yes, she’s a visible person on the internet saying words, all of which someone will disagree with. Fair enough.

The assumptions start as soon as they start saying “She obviously said something really stupid to warrant that response”. Why would you assume that aside from bias? And why would that make it OK? Then comes the assumption the abuse wasn’t serious, just “You’re fat” and “You’re ugly”.Have you ever been on the internet? I’ll wager it was threats of violence because I get them too for being female and saying things.

People on the internet are often fucking scum. Honestly, if I were at particular risk of being traumatised, I would not go on the internet, not because it’s OK to permit people to behave that way but because I can only control my own actions and duty to self-care blah blah blah. People are different. Some get help and push back. May this be a case of someone with underlying psychiatric issues making them more susceptible to developing PTSD? Maybe. I don’t know. I can’t know. Is it unlikely that many others in their situation would respond the same way? Again, maybe. I don’t know. What I do know though is, regardless of this individual, people on the internet are often disgusting, shameful creatures and that’s something all of us should be alarmed by and dedicated to changing.

Now I’m hearing she’s trying to get people fired from their jobs for saying “You don’t have PTSD”. Pardon me for not believing MRA sources and, even if it’s true, not being overly concerned because, as we know, if anyone’s liable to lose their job over this, its her. The idea a woman upset with you has all the power in the world to have you tossed in jail or fired is pure myth.

wordsp1nner

OMG, the Redpillers are doing it again! This is at least the second, and I think the third, time I’ve seen it.

ACT LIKE A CAT

Cute
Aloof
Independent.
Want affection(rare) on their own terms
Demand affection when they are distracted with something important. (are you reading reddit with the cat crossing in front of your screen, only to ignore you when YOU are ready to pet it?)
You serve ME, I do not serve you attitude.
I go out to prowl…but I come home. I prowl, it is what I do.
I do what I want.
Your goal should only be to feed me what I want and when I want.
I’ll bring you dead animals once in a while (gifts that aren’t wanted but impose a “it’s the thought that counts” admiration)
Cuddle when YOU want, cut it short, then bounce.
Indifference mildly peppered with punctuated affection (to keep interest).
The only interaction you get is when you play with me (sex)

From here: http://www.np.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/comments/23p1ev/have_the_personality_of_cats_bitches_love_cats/

For my two:

Cute: check.
Aloof: Lol no.
Independent: Lol no.
“Want affection (rare) on their own terms”: Want affection (always) on their own terms.
“You serve ME…” well, they can’t open the food storage container nor can they cook, so I’m left to serve myself.
“I go out to prowl…”: No, they go out and I scoop them up and bring them back into the apartment. There are cars and coyotes outside, and my apartment opens into an interior hallway, so it isn’t like they have anywhere to go.
“I’ll bring you dead animals once in a while…”: Does leaving cat toys in my bed count?
“Cuddle when YOU want, cut it short, then bounce.” Lol no.
“Indifference mildly peppered with punctuated affection”: Lol no. I could kick them out of my room and get more than an hour’s sleep if the buggers were indifferent.
“The only interaction you get is when you play with me”: Hair-licking wake up calls at 5:30 am. ‘Nough said.

Also, keeping pronouns straight is apparently for betas or women, though in fairness, my cats aren’t good at grammar either.

Act like a cat. And in return she’ll give you dry kibble and neuter you.

Rachel

I have been informed (more than once) that “trauma” refers only to damage resulting from physical violence. In the context of some Very Serious and Informative Mansplaining, of course. So when I first read about this I thought maybe the poor dears are laboring under the misconception that you can’t get PTSD from online interactions because you can’t literally reach out and slap someone via twitter.

And for what it’s worth, my boy-cat is sweet, cuddly, and affectionate (when indoors), while the youngest of my three is a rambunctious, inconsiderate, self-centered, asshole girl-cat, who’s totally in charge by virtue of being so energetic and narcissistic. Apparently all it takes to be the alpha is wearing everyone else the fuck down until they’re too tired to care who’s in charge.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

Cat lovers? Haha, reminds me of the time some hater on here tried to call you “Kitten Boy.” Remember that?

Robert
Robert

Thanks, Deoridhe. A bucket of sloths with a Ze Frank chaser was much appreciated.

emma
emma

An excellent post, David. Thank you.

P.S. “Ah, here’s where the missing question mark went, along with some friends.”

Cute and funny.

Proneness to histrionics is one of defining features of MRA’s “cognitive” style.

grumpycatisagirl

Which book? (I mean which book does Rose come from. I know what book the Ultimate Answer comes from .:) )

grumpycatisagirl

I just noticed David had to update the post with a note to drive-by assholes trying to leave comments. 🙁

I honestly don’t understand why this woman saying she has been diagnosed with PTSD brings out so much horribleness in people. I mean, I’m not surprised by it, but I really don’t understand it at all.

Drive-by assholes, you suck.

Maris Stella
Maris Stella

I’ve read some reports that suggest that men who harass women online aren’t just keyboard warriors, but are often harassers and abusers in real life, too.

But, you know, I’m sure they don’t meeeeean it!!!1

contrapangloss

My kitty, who lives at my folks’s, cause Uni:

Alpha:
Sleeps wherever the heck he wants.
Sits on stairs, just so he can say ‘You a Shall Not Pass!’ in felinese. Both dogs believe it.
Purrs while biting things.
Loud, obnoxious (but kind of endearing) MYROWRERERER!!!! when he wants food.
Good hunter, keeps rodents out of grain storage.
Made us get rid of bird feeder, so we wouldn’t lure birds to their doom.
Is 15, still fit, unbeaten/eaten by stray dogs, foxes.

Beta:
Soooo fat.
On a diet, and demands for food are harshly ignored. So harsh.
Toilet trained (not coastal, so no toxoplasmosis for otters!): leaves seat down.
Gets sprayed with water bottle for attacks against humans: begs for cuddles right after.
Very cuddly in winter.
Does not like hunting at 50 below. No way. Uh, uh.
Neutered.
Dogs occasionally lick him in the face.

Jezebella
Jezebella

Jesus H. God, I tried to read Stephanie Zwan’s Storify of the Twitter bullying she was getting and I started feeling anxious and furious on her behalf. I couldn’t finish it. Christ, what a bunch of assholes.

delmarmet

Anybody remember when all the trolls, sexist gamers and MRAs went after Anita Sarkeesian?

They. Just. Don’t. Ever. Stop.

pecunium

Speaking as vet, with mild PTSD sorts of shit, “combat” is a funny thing, and there is a lot which comes of being in a combat zone which is stressful (and can add up to trauma) which doesn’t require being shot at.

Day to day life is sort of hard to explain. David Drake (an author) said that the thing about being in Vietnam (where I get the impression people weren’t, as a rule, trying to kill him) was the “simple” fact of being scared; all the time.

I can attest to that. Fear becomes a fact of life. There isn’t a moment when one isn’t (in the background) prepared to deal with some bad shit going down.

pecunium

Ah… those videos remind me of one of my favorite passages from one of my favorite series of books (set in the Age of Sail), “Jack, you have debauched my sloth”.

On a more serious note… they are only slow, 1: on the ground, and 2: because they feel like it. When they want to they can move between 6-10 miles an hour in the trees. At which point those toenails they hang from will Fuck You Up.

dustydeste
dustydeste

Wow, as far as that lovely mug goes, I’m pretty disturbed that this (TW for deadly violence against women, specifically divorcées) is second on the “Also Viewed” list :/

kittehserf

Hi, all the delurkers and redelurkers! Anyone who hasn’t had a Welcome Package yet, here ’tis!

House Mouse Queen

David,

Thanks for posting this. I was aware of it but my focus was elsewhere. I’m glad Melody is standing up to those assholes.

@katz

hahahah! I love that mug. I left a comment to one of the whiners. I love watching them whine.

zippydoo
zippydoo

Fuck this noise about PTSD being combat-related only.

As someone who developed ASD (or PTSD according to the professional who diagnosed me, but the timeline is shorter than PTSD) the event that triggered it was relatively minor, something most people, including myself, experience without problems. But it sucked when it happened, because the listed symptoms were there, they were very real, detrimental to having a healthy life, and I couldn’t just ‘snap out of it’ without the help of medication and therapy. Even now, if I had to explain, it would be embarrassing compared to combat vets and rape survivors, but it happened.

Drewy
Drewy

I took a gander at Men’s Rights Melbourne. Apparently you can tell someone is a feminist because they have “cold, dead” eyes of evil. Or something.

Also lots of pictures of injured soliders on there. How sad, manipulative tactics just break my heart.

And apparently working women are blaming men for their troubles or something. Yawn.

seranvali

I wasn’t aware that there were rules about PTSD. Obviously, military folks are likely to be particularly vulnerable to it but that doesn’t mean that they’re the only people who get it. They don’t have some kind of monopoly on it. Anyone who has undergone trauma is vulnerable as well, whether it be due to bullying, violence (including rape), medical issues (I’ve recently been diagnosed with it myself due to my recent treatment for cancer) or any other traumatic event. Sufferers don’t have to prove that their experience was “severe enough” to be called PTSD to other people. If a psychiatrist has diagnosed them as having it then nothing the trolls say matters one iota.

misery
misery

Maybe this is expecting too much from humanity, but I always think that if you do someone harm that you have an obligation to help them, and that if a group you are part of does someone harm that you still have this obligation, although maybe a lesser one. So here we have a person who has suffered abuse typically from MRA-associated folks, and you’d expect that the humane thing to do by them would be to be supportive and protective of her and turn their eyes inwards in order to deal with the abusive factions in their ranks.

Or they could double down and abuse her some more. I wonder which choice will appeal to them more… (sarcasm)

Tbh, bullying bothers me a lot so this is pretty sickening to follow.