Uncategorized

Down the Drain

I hate doing dishes too.
I hate doing dishes too.

I am still sick as a dog –more specifically, as a sick dog — so I thought I’d share the misery with you all by sharing this, what is possibly the most depressing ad for paper cups ever devised. Who knew that the solution to “the problem that has no name” was Dixie cups?

Mr. Show offered an updated take on this ad technique with their classic Mayostard/Mustardayonnaise ad parodies:

kittehserf

Hope you get well soon, David – have you seen a doctor?

She=Devil

did you know Kraft now has bacon mayonaisse? it’s the perfect food. Bw, dixie cups and plates are made and sold by the cock brothers, along with angel soft TP. Kraft also has a garlic and herb mayo…

“To make yourself a pantsuit” is the hidden joy here.

kittehserf

Ha. Easy way to spend less time and water washing dishes: let ’em accumulate.

I’ll skip the pantsuit but I have Plans for the next knitting project, if I can learn how to do lattice stitch.

did you know Kraft now has bacon mayonaisse? it’s the perfect food.

Dear internet: It is time for you to stop being obsessed with bacon. Thank you.

sparky
sparky

Dixie cups always were downers. Red Solo cups, now those are the party cups.

kittehserf

Last time I had serious bronchitis I went to the doc and he gave me antibiotics ‘cos it was definitely a chest infection. I don’t know if that was because I’m mildly asthmatic. He wasn’t my regular doctor and I don’t even know if he knew/asked I was asthmatic.

Might be worth ringing your doc to ask, especially since it’s making the migraines worse.

Plus, you need to be well in May, ‘cos I’m going to be gracing Chi-town with my presence and it would be the Greatest Coup Ever to say I’d met the Dark Lord. πŸ˜‰

hellkell
hellkell

David: go to the doctor/urgent care. Even if you don’t get antibiotics, an inhaler and some of the high-test cough syrup will work wonders. Those tessalon pearls are good too. Bronchitis left too long is nothing to fuck around with.

They have mayo with lime here in TX. I’m intrigued, but wish they had small bottles in case I don’t like it.

LBT
LBT

RE: She=Devil

did you know Kraft now has bacon mayonaisse?

D8 That just horrifies me to the cockles of my ED soul. I think you’ve just discovered the food that I doubt I will ever, EVER be able to eat.

sparky
sparky

Seconding hellkell and kittehs, David. Especially if its been a couple days with no improvement in symptoms.

sparky
sparky

And why would anyone ruin perfectly good bacon by drowning it in a bunch of mayonnaise?

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

Hmmm… all my care providers have happily forked over the antibiotics when I’ve gone in with bronchitis. I get it every few years, though most of the time mine isn’t as severe.

The thing about bronchitis is that it could very well be bacterial–it isn’t like a cold where the default is viral. In fact, if you have walking pneumonia, the most common cause is a bacteria.

trans_commie

Dear internet: It is time for you to stop being obsessed with bacon. Thank you.

Cosigning, but the internet went too far in its obsession a long time ago – once people started adding bacon to deserts. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to get those bacon ice cream shakes from Denny’s.

grumpycatisagirl

Dear internet: It is time for you to stop being obsessed with bacon. Thank you.

I so wish the Internet would listen to you . . .

kittehserf

Bacon desserts?

I think I’m gonna be sick …

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

I was always more of a sausage person myself.

I should mention, though, that the last couple of times I’ve had bronchitis I was treated through my student health center, which I would not be surprised was a little more lax in prescribing antibiotics than elsewhere.

amandajane5
amandajane5

Ugh, migraines, I remember one, one magical time, I was still in ungrad, so I was on student health, and I had one of my awful migraines (mine are visual, so pretty much mean I can’t see anything but shiny, which is a joy) and I was given four pills of something…I’ve asked and asked and no one’s ever been able to figure it out, all I remember is the four pills that were blue and each in an individual blister pack and they had a silhouette outline of a head on them and that’s the one and only time I’ve had a migraine just go away. If anyone has any idea what that was, I’m still curious, because the excessive pain I’m currently experiencing from my inadequately medicated broken ankle is starting to trigger my head again.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

Student health centers sometimes have the weirdest drugs. My freshmen year, I caught a stomach bug during orientation, and I went in hoping they’d give me some pepto-bismal or something. I don’t know exactly what they gave me, but the nurse told me it would make me drowsy. I was thinking, oh, I’ll go and take a little nap and be fine.

No. I took a 3 hr nap, got up for an hour, went back to bed, repeat until nightfall, and slept through the night. I missed a bunch of orientation activities, too, like the alcohol seminar.

Then I got up and went to class with no problems.

kittehserf

AJ – you took the Blue Pill! O_O

sparky
sparky
thebewilderness
thebewilderness

If your cough is productive and your phlegm is colorful get thee to a dispensary for the professional opinion and drug.

weirwoodtreehugger

It’s good. You can use it to make Mexican corn on the cob. You slather the cob with lime mayo, roll it in cotija cheese and sprinkle a little bit of chili powder over it. It’s very messy and probably horrificly unhealthy, but it’s delicious.

A little of topic but Hellkell, was that you commenting on the Jezebel post about that awful list of 50 things women need to know about men? Or does somebody else on the internets have the same user name?

contrapangloss

If it’s a bacterial infection, it won’t go away without antibiotics. For something running this long, with productive phlegm, my bet is they’d probably put you on the good stuff.

On the bright side, again least it probably isn’t TB! In my area, it’s a legit concern with productive coughs.

πŸ™

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

They make it with bacon fat as the fat component of the mayo (as opposed to, say, olive oil). So it doesn’t have chunks of bacon in it, it just has a bacon flavour.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Bacon donuts. Bacon cupcakes. Bacon truffles.

Look, I like a bit of cured pork myself, but these things? These are things that should not exist.

Well, maple bacon things are nice (within reason). But too much of the bacon stuff feels like they were just trying to prove that it could be done.

trans_commie

Bacon donuts are a disgrace. That is all.

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

That “young” face of the lady in the ad is seriously creeping me out here…

And yeah, doing dishes the traditional way is the absolute worst thing.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Yeah, I get the appeal of a sweet-salty combo, but I draw the line at chocolate-covered bacon. Actually, I draw the line before that, that’s beyond the pale for me.

BreakfastMan
BreakfastMan

@trans_commie: Bacon maple bars are amazing, you clearly don’t have any idea what you are talking about. πŸ˜€

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I’ve never really understood why people like covering pork in sweet sauces so much in general, so the bacon dessert thing was just confusing to me. Also I don’t want crunchy things on my donuts.

trans_commie

To lighten up the topic, here’s a sweet and savory Moroccan pie that I highly recommend people try (if they don’t mind eating meat).
(Note that I have only tried it with shredded chicken in it because I cannot stomach the thought of eating squab pie.)

trans_commie

I suppose I made a mistake in criticizing bacon desserts and then posting a link to a Wiki article on a Moroccan dish that many people probably find revolting for some reason.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Nah, not a mistake. Tastes vary, and a lot of the time, the idea of a recipe is totally different from the final dish, and you can never tell until you actually try something. For example, I love the idea of rappie pie, but it’s just not very good.

You can’t control how people receive your suggestions, and we’re not a vegan-only community, so really. Not to worry.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I’ve had that! It was a bit sweet for me, but the pastry is great.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

trans_commie: Actually, I’d like to try that. I have nothing against meat + bread combos.

That pie looks delish, IMO.

trans_commie

I’ve had it a few times at this San Francisco restaurant around Polk St. called “Cafe Zitoun” (cassandrakitty may know of that place) and I’ve also tried my step-mom’s homemade recipe. It’s very difficult to make, but no other dish has been able to convince me that chicken in sweet-and-savory dishes isn’t necessarily a bad idea.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I’m way more weirded out by the avocado pudding thing you were talking about your sister making. So much savory Moroccan food is sweet anyway.

pecunium

Pastilla is wonderful. That is all.

wewereemergencies
wewereemergencies

Feel better David! I’m sick too though not nearly as bad. But it does mean any semblance I had of productivity is shot. I have spent the last two days down a dark hole of Wikipedia and tumblr, and am considering getting a tumblr account. In the first few weeks of uni, that is really not good.

trans_commie

If you folks like b’stilla (I prefer saying it the Maghrebi way), I highly recommend meloui, which are basically Moroccan pancakes. They are often served with a syrup made of butter and honey or just plain, and either way they’re absolutely wonderful.

neuroticbeagle

Somebody thinks there should be more bacon:

It’s quite a convincing and cute argument.

kittehserf

Heh. I think Katie would approve of that dog, as long as it wasn’t her bacon being et.

barrakuduh

Aw, David… πŸ™
Migraines are terrible. The frowny-face emoticon doesn’t begin to do justice to how terrible they are. That on top of bronchitis, lasting as long as it has… that seriously sucks. I’m so sorry.

saintnick86
saintnick86

Hope you feel better soon, David.

And, by God, do I love Mr. Show. It has actual, genuine satire – before everyone started using that word erroneously…

saintnick86
saintnick86

Gah! Messed up on the coding there.

Octo
Octo

Yeah, IMO, bronchitis is a “go see the doctor if only to make sure” sort of illness. But then, I’m in a socialist UHC hellhole πŸ˜‰

Hope you get better soon, David. Unless those constant repetitions in every new thread begin to annoy you πŸ˜‰

As for bacon, so agreed: Totally overrated on the internet, and it should definitely not go with dessert stuff. It’s not even the salty part, IMO, but the meaty/hearty part… IMO you shouldn’t mix sweet and hearty, no! Though, mixing mayonnaise to bacon is okay. Mostly because mayonnaise does go with everything. A way better condiment for fries than ketchup, too.

1 2 3 5