alpha males entitled babies evil ugly women hypocrisy misogyny MRA oppressed men reddit ugly feminists virgin shaming

Saturday Night Live takes on Men’s Rights Activists in Not-Actually Funny Skit

SNL's MRA and his soon-to-be-ex Venezuelan girlfriend
SNL’s MRA and his soon-to-be-ex Venezuelan girlfriend

So this is … interesting. Last night, Saturday Night Live did a sketch, featuring guest host Lena Dunham, about Men’s Rights Activists. Alas, it wasn’t actually funny, or particularly on the mark, and it was kind of, sort of, maybe, a little bit racist (well, ok, a lot), but it did at least give a pretty good impression of what people in the real world think of the MRAs we know and loathe so well. I can’t embed it here, so go take a look at it on Hulu.

The folks in the Men’s Rights subreddit are up in arms about it, and have started not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, but six threads on the subject. (There may be more; that’s all I noticed.) Well, it’s not often they get this much attention, so I guess their excitement is understandable.

Given that the sketch was actually pretty crappy in a lot of ways, the MRAs did have some legitimate complaints to make against it — like the fact that the women in the sketch mocked the MRA character for being an unattractive loser. But naturally the Men’s Rights Redditors managed to undercut even this perfectly reasonable criticism by attacking the women in the sketch for being uggos. (Oh, misogynists, why do you hate Lena Dunham so much?) Here’s a rather delightfully ironic snippet of the discussion:

SNL manages to misinterpret MRA arguments, shame man who are less physically attractive than others by implying they are somehow lesser, says that all MRAs are only MRAs because of bad love experiences, and accuse the MRHM of being pro-life, which is a blatant lie. (hulu.com)  submitted 7 hours ago by Feminists_Are_Jelly      29 comments     share     source     save     hide     give gold     report     hide all child comments  sorted by: hot navigate by: submitter | moderator | friend | admin | IAmA | images | popular | new you are viewing a single comment's thread.  view the rest of the comments →  [–]MockingDead 16 points 6 hours ago (27|11)  A bunch of unattractive unfunny women impugning a man for being not an apex male.      permalink     save     source     save     give gold     hide child comments  [–]ugly_duck 5 points 5 hours ago (16|11)      A bunch of unattractive unfunny women impugning a man for being not an apex male.  Imagine if the genders were reversed.      permalink     save     source     save     parent     give gold  [–]Grubnar 6 points 4 hours ago (12|6)  I am trying ... and I can't. Men are not usually judged by their attractiveness, but by their wealth.

Indeed, I’ve rarely seen irony so thick as in the outraged comments of MRAs in these threads. Here’s another angry Redditor:

Ruwanimo 132 points 14 hours ago (207|75)  I just saw the sketch and am speechless. I am beyond insulted as a male and heartbroken that flagrant sexism and shaming is OK. I can't even imagine how it would look if the genders were reversed.

Heavens! Sexism and shaming! MRAs NEVER engage in either of those things!

Oh, wait. That’s pretty much the entire basis of their movement.

Ruwanimo, you say you can’t imagine how it would look if the genders were reversed? You don’t have to imagine. All you have to do is go to the Men’s Rights subreddit, or A Voice for Men, or any other prominent (or not-so-prominent) Men’s Rights site. Or you could read through the Man Boobz archives. Ta da! Literally hundreds — make that thousands — of examples of MRAs directing “flagrant sexism and shaming” at women. (Also note: this shaming is directed at women, not only at feminists, whereas the SNL skit directed its shaming only at MRAs, not at men in general.)

You’re welcome!

The AgainstMensRights subreddit is also all over this thing, though they’ve limited themselves to four threads — here, here, here and here, which is where I found that first discussion I screenshotted.

cloudiah

A glass ceiling sketch could be funny. Boss keeps hiring more and more unqualified male applicants for more and more transparent reasons while insisting that there’s no gender bias. By the end he’s hiring some guy who just walked by outside, the potted plant from the lobby, an old shoe, etc.

I’m reading that book Delusions of gender by Cordelia Fine, and she covers studies where exactly this happened. And the bosses, when interviewed, proudly talk about how free of bias they are while they’re doing this. I don’t have it with me, so I can’t supply any choice quotes.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

If we’re burning bras, I brought marshmallows.

leatapp
leatapp

“My bras are much too expensive to burn.”
Truth

saintnick86
saintnick86

Maybe they say “meep” in his native language? Different languages have different words for animal sounds, and they’re not always close to the English words (for example, Spanish dogs say “gua”). IDK, I’m just not comfortable with this line of shaming when it could be a legit language difference…

You’re right. I presumed the person spoke English as a first language – but that may not be the case. I forgot that different languages spell animal sounds differently.

My apologies…

kittehserf

If it’s wealth that’s such a turn-on, how come my office wall is plastered with this instead of this?

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

It’s true. Everyone loves feminists, and literally no one has ever cracked a joke at feminists’ expense or stereotyped us in any way for the sake of comedy.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’m always fascinated by the way that people associate ceasing to wear a garment that prevents breasts from moving and moulds them into shapes that are considered more beautiful/less sexually provocative than their natural state with hating men.

Bina
Bina

Not only are my bras too expensive to burn, ALL bras are. Have you priced those motherfuckers lately? For so little fabric, they’re a rip. If I didn’t have a massive pair of gazongas, I’d trash ’em like the ACTUAL feminists did.

kittehserf

Too right about bra prices. The only one I have that’s really comfortable and flattering cost one hundred and forty five fucking dollars.

AL3H
AL3H

@Cloudiah The Gender Delusion – I love that book! 😀

@Janet The only way I would consider burning my bras is if there was a bonfire involved, and as I only have three old bras (the only type I would be happy to burn) it would be a pretty unimpressive bonfire. Also, to be brutally honest, I would rather recycle them into rags …

Quackers
Quackers

Aren’t bras misandry and shouldn’t MRAs burn them? Afterall I’ve seen MRAs claim padded pushup bras are akin to the emotional manipulation that PUAs use (because bras don’t come off eventually when you have sex with the dude, yet you never know when a manipulative dude is being honest or not, unless you’re trained to snuff out the really good manipulators) but they also keep women’s boobs from bouncing all over the place and keep their nipples from poking through their shirts, thus denying men their natural right to ogle and comment on women’s body parts!!! Bras are totes the evil concoction of feminists!!!!!

Actually in one Simpsons episode, highschool Marge burned a bra after reading an article in Ms magazine about pay inequality.

weirwoodtreehugger

My bras minimize my giganamous boobs. That’s probably somehow misandry too.

Bina
Bina

Re bras as feminist invention, there’s a grain of truth to that. I read somewhere that a Frenchwoman created the first commercially-sold brassières in order to liberate women from the tyrannical torture of the corset. The first mass-produced one was called Le Bien-être, meaning “the well-being”, alluding to the idea that comfortably supported breasts were healthier (and so was life without a corset pushing everything into all sorts of weird and unnatural shapes).

kittehserf

Bras are also misandry because they can lift the breasts above their natural place over the ribcage, and create cleavage, and so on. Oh noes, women’s breasts don’t naturally look like that! The horror! The deceit!

Bina
Bina

Yeah, like no MRA ever stuck a pair of rolled-up socks down his pants…>snort<

saintnick86
saintnick86

That’s right! To my understanding the woman who created the brassieres did so exactly because she found corsets too constricting and uncomfortable (and, as shown in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, they made it difficult to breath when tightened “appropriately”). The reason corsets were popular is that they made women’s waists look very small which, along with showing some ankle, was a sexual turn-on for men in Victorian Era society.

It kind of reminds me of Sarah Silverman bringing up how she hired a designer to make her dress for an award show (in her autobiographical book), but had some conflict as to how it would be done because she wanted it to be comfortable while he wanted to follow the uncomfortable standard most actresses wore. She was able to get it her way, but various fashionistas mocked it for being “frumpy” and some of the people who worked on making it refused credit for making it.

Honestly? It wasn’t that bad a dress. But, then again, I kind of don’t give a shit what other people wear as long as it is comfortable for ’em. I despise it when my dad or other family members give me shit for my dress sense – even though the clothes they want me to wear feel incredibly constricting and (with my high body temperature) makes it feel like I’m wearing an oven. So, why do that to anyone else..?

kittehserf

Doubly useful for them to do that. Makes instant rage-wanking easier.

kittehserf

The sexy-corsets thing had its own double standard, too. Wearing stays had long been equated with being morally upright at the same time as being equated with being evil and sexy. The very term strait-laced comes from an earlier era of tight lacing, and women who went for the Aesthetic look in the 19th century were regarded as potentially “loose” in both senses, because they weren’t wearing corsets.

Yet another situation where women couldn’t win.

Quackers
Quackers

And yet we know nothing about the size of a man’s dick, and if a woman refused a man because of it she’d be called a bitch and a slut. It’s just naaaaature that men want big tits though stop shaming their sexuality waaah.

The sad reality is some people care about the size of these body parts, but only women are supposed to bare everything upfront, and if they don’t it’s cheating akin to destroying a woman’s self esteem through negging and other emotional manipulation, yet you know nothing about what a guy’s size is until sex.

And yeah, standard disclaimer that this is just pointing out the double standard, I could care less about what’s in a dude’s pants. This shit just annoys me. Past feminists got crap for not conforming to beauty standards and now current feminists or “modern women” get shit for wearing makeup and wearing certain bras and clothes. Funny how either way, so many of these types of guys think their opinion on women’s appearance is so gosh darn important that they make it so openly known. Some misandric culture of silence we live in eh?

Quackers
Quackers

In a weird way, dressing sexy and wearing makeup is almost more liberating because it pisses off misogynists more nowadays. They’re mad that they can’t just grab these women and have sex with them, how DARE they look hot and deny them that right!

Damn creeps.

trans_commie

Part of me really wants to try wearing bras eventually, and part of me is terrified at the thought of something bound to my chest all day and making me itchy and sweaty. But if I don’t wear a bra after having developed larger breasts then I have to be careful in wearing certain shirts in public. X_X It’s a real dilemma for me.

kittehserf

Anything we do pisses off some misogynist – a thought that gives me some pleasure.

trans_commie

Yay! You’re reading one of my favorite books. 😀 The whole book is worth reading. Too bad I don’t have my copy anymore…

kittehserf

Ally – there are some types of bras that are soft enough not to be too bad. I use maternity bras that are just soft pull-on ones in hot weather, because I’m very prone to chafing. There’s still elastic around the ribs, which is my least favourite bit of wearing bras, but it’s no worse than the band of one’s undies.

Also, depending on your situation, it’s possible to wear a singlet (tank top?) in cooler weather, especially if you like loose clothes, and not bother about a bra at all. I’m a D cup and do it regularly.

Quackers
Quackers

@trans_commie

You could try a t-shirt bra? They are relatively plain and there are ones made of cotton so it will breath easier and keep you cooler. I love the look of lacey bras but I wear t-shirt bras every day since they are the most comfortable 🙂

trans_commie

@Janet

What’s funny here is if it had been a skit about how obviously sexist and man hating feminists are and will always be, there would of been a surge of bra burning psychopaths writing “patriarchy” this and “glass ceiling”. The difference is that feminists hide behind the facade that they are fighting for equality and therefore everyone thinks their sexist ways are acceptable….now that’s what I call funny….

Feminism’s perceived reputation for man-hating is so strongly stigmatized and blown out of proportion that even many feminists themselves don’t openly call themselves feminists. I think that says a lot.

And no shit are feminists going to talk about patriarchy when they see stuff like that. The vast majority of anti-feminist thought is rooted in a defense of patriarchy.

Quackers
Quackers

@kittehserf

Yeah I must admit it gives me pleasure too lol. Mostly just annoys me though. I mean how miserable do you have to be to complain so much about what women wear? Get a hobby.

I have Delusions of Gender but haven’t read it yet, soon. Soooooon.

sparky
sparky

Sports bras are nice too; they’re like maternity bras. They also make tank tops and camis with built in bras that are soft.

The most important thing with a bra is a good fit. Bras that fit can be uncomfortable. Bras that don’t fit can be excruciating.

trans_commie

@kitteh

Ooh, I’m really fond of this idea. I prefer wearing loose clothes, and I think that sounds really cozy and convenient, even in warmer weather.

Robert
Robert

Bras and tampons* – things I missed out on learning about. It’s a complete revelation to me of how much well made and well fitting brassieres can cost.

*Including napkins, sponges and other menstruation related technologies.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Um, it would be technically possible for me to not wear a bra when it’s hot, but it wouldn’t be very comfortable, especially when I’m walking fast.

None of my bras are uncomfortable. I’ve owned ones that were in the past (Wonderbra brand, why did I ever buy you?), but once I found the brands and styles that worked for me (and the right size) that wasn’t an issue any more. Still can’t quite figure out why some women find them super uncomfortable and others don’t.

trans_commie

I guess many folks have a different sense of comfort. I know people who are totally comfortable sitting on their knees, but it’s extremely uncomfortable for me to do so (part of why I hated praying as a Muslim). A similar thing may apply to bra-wearing.

weirwoodtreehugger

At a G cup I can only wear uncomfortable bras unfortunately. As soon as I walk in the door, I take off the bra and shake my boobs out. It’s like when a sexy librarian takes her hair down.

That was probably TMI. Sorry!

sparky
sparky

Different body types, maybe?

I actually have a Wonderbra that’s one of the most comfortable bras I’ve ever owned.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

Thing is, I probably wear the same kind of bras you do (I’m an E cup, prefer Freya bras, won’t wear anything without an underwire), but for some reason I don’t find them uncomfortable. I can’t figure out if the difference is a fit issue, body shape, just being used to it because I started wearing bras so young, or whatever. The only relevant factoid I can think of is that I was a competitive swimmer as a kid, so my back and shoulders are pretty strong.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

That might be it, you know. Wonderbras felt like tiny sateen torture devices for me, but the same basic style (push-up plunge) in a different brand is fine.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

I’m not worried about the price of bras. My ex-husband’s child support money gives me an endless supply! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Although I usually prefer my old and comfortable T-shirt bras (which are more like oversized and loose sports bras with removable padding for when you wash it), I have been curious about the bralettes I see whenever I pass by Victoria’s Secret.

AL3H
AL3H

@transcommie I would suggest trying out all the different types and see what you like. For example, I can only wear the super plain cotton ones. If they have lace or underwires I feel really uncomfortable as I have an issue with layers and thing touching me. Underwires and lace etc. don’t seen to bother other people though, so if you can work out the thing you don’t like, there is very likely a bra that doesn’t have it. Whatever makes you the most comfy/happy. 🙂

Kim
Kim

There is always the bandeau too. I hate anything strapless, but my (relatively small boobed) co-workers seem to love them.

saintnick86
saintnick86

That was probably TMI. Sorry!

Given my mom was very open to me about feminine issues – I’m used to it! No problem for me… 😛

Different body types, maybe?

That always seemed like an important factor, from what I know.

I’m that way with items like boxer-briefs and socks. They’re not as comfortable new as they are when I’ve worn them for a bit.

kittehserf

It’s not just me, then! I can’t sit cross-legged or sit comfortably on the floor at all, and as for kneeling, no way, now. It wasn’t comfortable before my knee went bung and as for now … ouch.

AL3H – I’m with you on that one. No scratchy nylon lace touching me, and definitely no seams across the nipple (WHO came up with that idea???).

Robert – here’s a sanitary-stuff factoid: they get slapped with the 10% GST (goods and services tax) here, because the government that introduced the tax decided they’re cosmetics.

It was a conservative government, of course.

Oh, and Viagra doesn’t get taxed.

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

*head explodes* wait, something approximately half the population needs for a good portion of their lives is more optional than a pill that is rarely used for anything truly needed? Cuz face it guys, not being able to get it up is waaaaay less a problem than using, idk, old rags? for a week a month for 30+ years.

On topic, no, I’m not touching that. I think that means it’s not my cow, but I’m admittedly lost on what this Not My Cow thing is.

Various assorted trolls — learn to read PLZ!

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

It’s just Pratchett again. How have you not yet been assimilated?

Argenti Aertheri
Argenti Aertheri

I have no idea. Turns out my new partner’s read most of Discworld, so I really am missing all the jokes! We need a ungendered boy/girlfriend term, it feels weird calling him my boyfriend when my pharm student and I don’t use the gendered terms (soon to be pharm resident!)

/randomness

contrapangloss

Zefriend? Would that work? Or does it sound to close to the friend?

contrapangloss

(Just making things up, of course…)

kittehserf

That’s Not My Cow is a picture book Vimes reads to Young Sam at 6pm, without fail, when Young Sam’s a toddler (in Thud!). Doesn’t matter what else is happening, he gets home to read it on the dot, because if he’s a minute late, soon it’ll be five, and ten, and half an hour, and …. and if there’s a good excuse to be late, sooner or later there’ll be a bad one.

So he’s never late.

Anyway the book’s about a dude looking for his cow, and he sees all sorts of other animals and only knows the diff when they go Neigh! or Baaa! and so on. Vimes does all the sound effects, of course, because for Young Sam this is the greatest book in the history of ever.

Arctic Ape
Arctic Ape

Yeah, like no MRA ever stuck a pair of rolled-up socks down his pants

Does anyone actually do this? I mean, I’ve heard references before but dismissed them as a joke. You could maybe see the difference in tight pants but then it would seem to be really uncomfortable. And do women (or men) really that commonly look at men’s crotches?

I know some female-bodied people “pack” their underwear, but thought it was more of a conceptual thing. As in, you want to have stuff there but not really show it outwards? Again, in this sense, packing wouldn’t seem so relevant to male-bodied people.

Doubly useful for them to do that. Makes instant rage-wanking easier.

Same thing with using socks (lubed?) for masturbation. I can see how it could work as an improvised masturbation sleeve but it sure seems impractical and expensive (can you wash and reuse the socks?). Lubed condoms should be much better, if you can find loose ones, but nobody ever mentions this possibility. Also, I wonder if I shouldn’t overthink this at the risk of grossing people out…

kittehserf

LOL the sock-wank thing makes me wonder too, Arctic Ape. I’d never heard of the idea BM (Before Manboobz). I just think “Wouldn’t that be scratchy and kind of unpleasant, not to mention a waste of a sock?”

Maybe it’s just a meme about grotty basement-dwellers. It’s certainly easy to imagine Doosh V’s scuzzy apartment littered with old socks. ::hurl::

I dunno about anyone else, but I’ve never been one for looking at men’s crotches. On the rare occasions I’ve seen the shape of the bits showing through cloth – more on the ‘net than in person – my reaction is more “Eww put that away will you!!!” than “Phwoarrr!”

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

The whole bra-burning thing is a myth. Back in the ’60s, in Atlantic City, some women were protesting the Miss America pageant and threw some stereotypically feminine items into a trash barrel (mops, aprons, bras, etc.). One of the reporters covering the scene likened it to draft-card burning, and an urban legend was born. Since then, bra-burning has become lazy shorthand for people who equate feminism with angry, irrational terrorists working towards the downfall of civilization.

Most women I know wouldn’t willingly part with their bras, and how flammable are dacron and spandex, really?