alpha males entitled babies evil ugly women hypocrisy misogyny MRA oppressed men reddit ugly feminists virgin shaming

Saturday Night Live takes on Men’s Rights Activists in Not-Actually Funny Skit

SNL's MRA and his soon-to-be-ex Venezuelan girlfriend
SNL’s MRA and his soon-to-be-ex Venezuelan girlfriend

So this is … interesting. Last night, Saturday Night Live did a sketch, featuring guest host Lena Dunham, about Men’s Rights Activists. Alas, it wasn’t actually funny, or particularly on the mark, and it was kind of, sort of, maybe, a little bit racist (well, ok, a lot), but it did at least give a pretty good impression of what people in the real world think of the MRAs we know and loathe so well. I can’t embed it here, so go take a look at it on Hulu.

The folks in the Men’s Rights subreddit are up in arms about it, and have started not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, but six threads on the subject. (There may be more; that’s all I noticed.) Well, it’s not often they get this much attention, so I guess their excitement is understandable.

Given that the sketch was actually pretty crappy in a lot of ways, the MRAs did have some legitimate complaints to make against it — like the fact that the women in the sketch mocked the MRA character for being an unattractive loser. But naturally the Men’s Rights Redditors managed to undercut even this perfectly reasonable criticism by attacking the women in the sketch for being uggos. (Oh, misogynists, why do you hate Lena Dunham so much?) Here’s a rather delightfully ironic snippet of the discussion:

SNL manages to misinterpret MRA arguments, shame man who are less physically attractive than others by implying they are somehow lesser, says that all MRAs are only MRAs because of bad love experiences, and accuse the MRHM of being pro-life, which is a blatant lie. (hulu.com)  submitted 7 hours ago by Feminists_Are_Jelly      29 comments     share     source     save     hide     give gold     report     hide all child comments  sorted by: hot navigate by: submitter | moderator | friend | admin | IAmA | images | popular | new you are viewing a single comment's thread.  view the rest of the comments →  [–]MockingDead 16 points 6 hours ago (27|11)  A bunch of unattractive unfunny women impugning a man for being not an apex male.      permalink     save     source     save     give gold     hide child comments  [–]ugly_duck 5 points 5 hours ago (16|11)      A bunch of unattractive unfunny women impugning a man for being not an apex male.  Imagine if the genders were reversed.      permalink     save     source     save     parent     give gold  [–]Grubnar 6 points 4 hours ago (12|6)  I am trying ... and I can't. Men are not usually judged by their attractiveness, but by their wealth.

Indeed, I’ve rarely seen irony so thick as in the outraged comments of MRAs in these threads. Here’s another angry Redditor:

Ruwanimo 132 points 14 hours ago (207|75)  I just saw the sketch and am speechless. I am beyond insulted as a male and heartbroken that flagrant sexism and shaming is OK. I can't even imagine how it would look if the genders were reversed.

Heavens! Sexism and shaming! MRAs NEVER engage in either of those things!

Oh, wait. That’s pretty much the entire basis of their movement.

Ruwanimo, you say you can’t imagine how it would look if the genders were reversed? You don’t have to imagine. All you have to do is go to the Men’s Rights subreddit, or A Voice for Men, or any other prominent (or not-so-prominent) Men’s Rights site. Or you could read through the Man Boobz archives. Ta da! Literally hundreds — make that thousands — of examples of MRAs directing “flagrant sexism and shaming” at women. (Also note: this shaming is directed at women, not only at feminists, whereas the SNL skit directed its shaming only at MRAs, not at men in general.)

You’re welcome!

The AgainstMensRights subreddit is also all over this thing, though they’ve limited themselves to four threads — here, here, here and here, which is where I found that first discussion I screenshotted.

kittehserf

I’m feeling very hostel today. Are you feeling hostel?

Yep, I’m feeling hostel.

Wetherby
Wetherby

gotta love the scum somehow defending this skit. no leg to stand on and they bash away at MRA’s.

Well, I thought it was desperately unfunny and rather more than borderline racist.

I’d be intrigued to know who’s been speaking up for it. Perhaps you can flag up examples of “the scum somehow defending this skit”, since they’re clearly not posting here?

maggiesausage
maggiesausage

I dunno, I’m in more of a serviced apartment mood.

Malitia
Malitia

This tread need better sockpuppets. Like this one:

mildlymagnificent

Did someone say meep?

zippydoo
zippydoo

I love the troll’s assumption that either women don’t have an id, or a woman’s id unleashed results in harmless activities like sandwich making.

hookergal
hookergal

Waittttttt. That dude doesn’t know what sounds animals make? Didn’t he go to school? Or have tv?
And to the MRAs sobbing “you women are all soooooo mean” I doubt you can read. There was no *yay SNL for this!* it’s all: “wow. That’s bad & racist” – it’s nothing about anything else. If you think it is, you’re projecting your own shit onto us & darlings, we don’t care!

scarlettpipstrelle

Didn’t some big MRA site have a piece raging against Lena Dunham for showing her naked body because they didn’t like the looks of her? I’m trying to find it, and it’s driving me nuts.I can almost see it in my brain …

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

“Cover your shame, non-boner-pleasing woman!”

I don’t even like Dunham, but shit like that makes me want to send her flowers.

kittehserf

Ah yes, the twin assumptions – a woman’s body exists only to please men; and what MRAs lust after or not speaks for all men’s desires.

But oh no, they don’t hate women.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

There was one enjoyable moment in that skit: the groans from the audience at the mention of “men’s rights activist”.

leatapp
leatapp

I felt the first Hostel, just not enough to make me want to watch the rest of the movies in the franchise. I guess I just didn’t feel it enough. Ya feel me?

wakka wakka wakka

zippydoo
zippydoo

But what does the fox say?

I didn’t want the SNL skit. SNL is occasionally funny, but only when a truly stellar actor or comedian helps it be so. As I’m no Lena Dunham fan, I’ll pass.

Robert
Robert

According to Lovecraft, ghouls also meep. And glibber.

vaiyt

I don’t know what I like more: the implied threat or the implicit message that men are always one slip-up away from becoming raging rapemonkeys. And we’re supposed to be the rational sex?

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I wondered if we could just make “It’s November 19th” the answer to any stupid question asked by someone with no idea about what they were talking about.

Not to be confused with October 19th, which is a glorious day in Community fandom:

See? ‘Cause the 4th season of Community was supposed to air on 10/19, but then it got bumped to February, which they told us by having the show-within-the-show talk about how it got bumped and…it probably doesn’t make much sense if you’re not into Community…

My tower is woven out of the huge gobs of fur my cat Darrow sheds. He seriously sheds enough to make a whole new cat each week.

Sounds like you could use this book.

Anyone up for a round of That’s Not My Cow?

It goes “HHHHHRRRRRNNNNG!” It is a hippopotamus!

That is not my cow!

Sheep don’t fucking “meep” – they “baah”. Your parents obviously gave you malfunctioning toys, growing up…

Maybe they say “meep” in his native language? Different languages have different words for animal sounds, and they’re not always close to the English words (for example, Spanish dogs say “gua”). IDK, I’m just not comfortable with this line of shaming when it could be a legit language difference…

Dodom
Dodom

Thank you Emily.
Reading that thread was rather uncomfortable and was beginning to feel racist, with the assumption that not only the english rendition of sounds is the only valid one, but that one must be specially ignorant to pick the “wrong” one. Believe it or not, animal sounds are not the first thing they teach in “English – second language” classes.
I hadn’t planned on delurking on a topic like this, but with all the absurd things the troll had said, focusing on his “accent” (in lack of a better word) felt wrong.

scarlettpipstrelle

Oh wait, I probably shouldn’t imply there’s only one MRA post attacking Lena, there’s probably a million.

jayemgriffin

@zippydoo There is an answer to that! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuw6YBn6pnk

takshak
takshak

“IDK, I’m just not comfortable with this line of shaming when it could be a legit language difference…”

well, sheep in sheep language definitely don’t “meep”. They don’t “baa” either, but that’s closer. It’s more like “mh’ahah”

-this post brought to you by too much time around sheep.

freemage
freemage

Wow. Just got back from my break and… damn. Yeah, it’s a shame that a potentially good opportunity got so wasted by being seriously unfunny and horribly racist. Someone needs to tell SNL the difference between “accent” and “speech impediment”. (Like Buttercup Q. Skullpants, I did enjoy the audience reaction to the phrase “Men’s Rights Activist”, though.)

********

Totally off-topic diversion:

I was at an RPG convention this weekend (it was for a specific game, Arcanis: World of Fallen Empires, by Paradigm Concepts, for folks into that sort of thing). Now, as we’ve all heard a lot, there’s a long history of really awful behavior and casual sexism both in the geek community. This is an ongoing conversation for the community, and though long overdue, headway is being made.

Now, the judges of the events tend to have their throats run dry–they spend most of the time speaking, after all. So the con staff (all volunteers, mixed gender) run around with water and often some snacks for the judges.

At our table, one of the guys made a ‘joke’ as the (female, of course) volunteer came by with some water for the judge, saying, “Hey, I could use a coffee.” She just kind of ignored it and went on; no one else said much in response.

Later on (I learned after the fact), he repeated the effort, telling another volunteer (who had come by just to see if we were having fun), “Well, I’m still waiting for my coffee.”

At this point, one of the volunteers had had enough, and spoke to the convention organizer. So, what happened next? Did he blow off her complaint? Did he ignore her, or tell her to grow a thicker skin? Or, alternately, as the anti-feminists who’ve been complaining about convention anti-harassment policies insist will happen, come over, drag the guy kicking and screaming from the convention, tossing him bodily into the street and posting him on a public blacklist of men who are never to be admitted to any game convention ever again?

Nope. He came over to the table during a break in the action, sat next to the player, and calmly and quietly explained that his comments went over the line, crossing the volunteers’ comfort level. The player, suitably chagrined at being admonished, asked the con organizer to convey his apology to the offended parties, and assured him it wouldn’t happen again. He did not gripe after the con org had left about it, just went on with the purpose of the weekend.

It was was not a high-drama moment, but rather only noteworthy in terms of being a picture-perfect example of how this sort of thing should be handled. It’s perfectly possible the guy would’ve made the same comments to a male volunteer, and just didn’t see the context of sexism; it’s also possible that he holds sexist views himself and is perfectly comfortable with the whole ‘get me a sammich’ variety of ‘humor’. It doesn’t matter, because he at least knew that, once called out, he had to mind his step a bit more, and thus, everyone else was able to continue having fun as well.

tealily
tealily

The blatant hypocrisy and disconnect with reality in the comments of the MRAs in David’s screenshot is hilarious. My favorite has to be Grubnar, who can’t imagine men being judged by their looks, because men are judged by their wealth.

What freaking “wealth”? I don’t know how it is in other places around the globe, but a cursory google search tells me that only 19% of US households earn over 100k a year, and only 11% make over 150k. That’s right. Households. By the time we subtract the percentage that are only in that range because the woman works, too, or the percentage of men that earn in that range but are unavailable to women, the results are probably at best 10%.

Doods! Try to start living in the now, huh?

zippydoo
zippydoo

@tealily
Didn’t you get the MRA memo? 80% of the women are only screwing 20% of the men. The rest are apparently out of luck and will remain virgins until they die.

weirwoodtreehugger

scarletpipsttrelle, wow. That was really hateful. Not that I’m surprised. I love how he assumes that any man who is with a woman who isn’t thin is lowering his standards. It simply doesn’t occur to him that different people are attracted to different body types.

I’m not accustomed to trigger warnings and not clear about they work, but anyone with a history of EDs might want to avoid clicking on that link. It’s pretty brutal.

aqilaqamar
aqilaqamar

Reblogged this on Iconography ♠ Incomplete and commented:
Yeah right men are not ranked on their attractiveness but their wealth really? Which one is less offensive? — If my manhood is only how much mint I have Vs. my casual references to plastic Ken how can I survive really :/

tealily
tealily

I did, zippydoo, but I also got one that said over 80% of women eventually marry and they just aren’t marrying 20% of men so I had to throw the other one away. I have to keep it logical with facts for the superior MRAs.

scarlettpipstrelle

If 80% of the women were only marrying 20% of the men, wouldn’t that imply polygamy was back?

Janet Wilkinson

What’s funny here is if it had been a skit about how obviously sexist and man hating feminists are and will always be, there would of been a surge of bra burning psychopaths writing “patriarchy” this and “glass ceiling”. The difference is that feminists hide behind the facade that they are fighting for equality and therefore everyone thinks their sexist ways are acceptable….now that’s what I call funny….

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

They keep marrying them and divorcing them for alimony and child support? I guess? Who can tell. Women are a mystery.

</sarcasm>

Ivy Shoots

I thought the girlfriend was depicted that way because an MRA would be attracted to a stereotypically sexy foreign woman, and her limited English would keep her from understanding what he was really all about.

Bina
Bina

“Cover your shame, non-boner-pleasing woman!”

I don’t even like Dunham, but shit like that makes me want to send her flowers.

Same here. And I can’t stand her…racist towards Muslims, and clueless about Canadians. (She actually had the gall to call Paul Fucking Bernardo part of our “national identity”. Um, NO. We do not identify with psychopathic rape-murderers up here.)

Bina
Bina

OMG aside: There is an ad up below the article right now that says “Looking for an Asian wife?”

Google adbot is racist, too!

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Dafuq? *googles, and is appalled* For somebody who works in media, she doesn’t seem to get how media works.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

Re: google adbot. I get Christian Mingle ads when I check on Pharyngula. I get Plus Size Dress ads on recipe blogs. I get “hook up TONIGHT with hot single chicks in your location” on feminist blogs. I get car ads on eco-blogs. Sometimes I think google’s bots are hilariously ironic, and other times I think they’re just not that effective.

Bina
Bina

Yup. Pretty shocking for someone from her privileged background to be so…well…ignorant. Luckily, plenty of people called her out for that. Let’s hope she’s learned.

They won’t talk about their algorithm, probably because it’s not very bright. I refuse to put their ads (or indeed any ads) on my blog for that reason and many others…including the fact that I excoriate a lot of right-wing personalities and bad brands, and I don’t want the Googlebot to give them publicity via my site. That’s more irony than even O. Henry could stand.

Also, there was a human trafficking ring that advertised sex for sale on Google until the cops finally broke it, so it’s clear that not only is their algorithm faulty, they also don’t vet their advertisers very well (if they vet them at all, which I somehow doubt). I have a sinking feeling that this was not the only time that happened.

sparky
sparky

Janet Wilkinson: You know nothing about feminism and you have a crappy sense of humor.

cloudiah

Wow, someone who still thinks bra burning is a thing and who clearly didn’t read David’s post or the comments.

In other words, typical troll.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

My bras are much too expensive to burn.

cloudiah

Ninja’d by Sparky.

kittehserf

My bras are much too expensive to burn.

Damn right.

Why would someone say “glass ceiling” about a skit? Unless maybe there were higher-paid male actors in the skit and women weren’t allowed to participate?

kittehserf

You’re expecting a troll to think about words having meanings?

Misandry!

sparky
sparky

Maybe it’s a skit about the glass ceiling? The female character in the skit keeps getting passed over for promotions in favor of the male characters.

Hilarious.

emma
emma

Ivy Shoots | March 10, 2014 at 3:16 pm

“They should have made her an Eastern European woman, which MRAs tout as good girlfriend material, but that was just one of many opportunities this sketch missed.”

Yeah, and it would have been as good as the original skit (i.e., not good at all).

As an Eastern European woman, I assure you that Eastern European women are no more interested in dating or, God forbid, marrying nasty misogynists than any other woman anywhere on this planet. Somebody should tell MRAs that already, but I don’t think they’d listen.

A glass ceiling sketch could be funny. Boss keeps hiring more and more unqualified male applicants for more and more transparent reasons while insisting that there’s no gender bias. By the end he’s hiring some guy who just walked by outside, the potted plant from the lobby, an old shoe, etc.

Quackers
Quackers

Um…feminists are parodied as man-hating killjoys all the friggen time, The Simpsons has done it before a few times (I still love that show though)

I haven’t seen the clip to this and don’t care to. But it’s no surprise that MRAs can’t take take a “joke” or people poking fun at them, yet they will happily make rape jokes, or defend them, make/laugh at jokes trashing feminists and SJWs…just another thing to add to the already long list of MRA hypocrisies. Bunch of babies like to dish it out but can’t take it when it happens to them.

kittehserf

All the while claiming he has “binders full of women” but they’re not right for the job, somehow.

grumpycatisagirl

Patriarchy. Glass ceiling.

I didn’t even need a skit to write those words. It was pretty easy.

Certainly not going to burn any bras, though. Too hard to find a good one.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

Ah, yes. That explains why so many 12 year old girls have pictures of Warren Buffett in their lockers.

Note who’s doing the judging in both cases here: men.