alpha males entitled babies evil ugly women hypocrisy misogyny MRA oppressed men reddit ugly feminists virgin shaming

Saturday Night Live takes on Men’s Rights Activists in Not-Actually Funny Skit

SNL's MRA and his soon-to-be-ex Venezuelan girlfriend
SNL’s MRA and his soon-to-be-ex Venezuelan girlfriend

So this is … interesting. Last night, Saturday Night Live did a sketch, featuring guest host Lena Dunham, about Men’s Rights Activists. Alas, it wasn’t actually funny, or particularly on the mark, and it was kind of, sort of, maybe, a little bit racist (well, ok, a lot), but it did at least give a pretty good impression of what people in the real world think of the MRAs we know and loathe so well. I can’t embed it here, so go take a look at it on Hulu.

The folks in the Men’s Rights subreddit are up in arms about it, and have started not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, but six threads on the subject. (There may be more; that’s all I noticed.) Well, it’s not often they get this much attention, so I guess their excitement is understandable.

Given that the sketch was actually pretty crappy in a lot of ways, the MRAs did have some legitimate complaints to make against it — like the fact that the women in the sketch mocked the MRA character for being an unattractive loser. But naturally the Men’s Rights Redditors managed to undercut even this perfectly reasonable criticism by attacking the women in the sketch for being uggos. (Oh, misogynists, why do you hate Lena Dunham so much?) Here’s a rather delightfully ironic snippet of the discussion:

SNL manages to misinterpret MRA arguments, shame man who are less physically attractive than others by implying they are somehow lesser, says that all MRAs are only MRAs because of bad love experiences, and accuse the MRHM of being pro-life, which is a blatant lie. (hulu.com)  submitted 7 hours ago by Feminists_Are_Jelly      29 comments     share     source     save     hide     give gold     report     hide all child comments  sorted by: hot navigate by: submitter | moderator | friend | admin | IAmA | images | popular | new you are viewing a single comment's thread.  view the rest of the comments →  [–]MockingDead 16 points 6 hours ago (27|11)  A bunch of unattractive unfunny women impugning a man for being not an apex male.      permalink     save     source     save     give gold     hide child comments  [–]ugly_duck 5 points 5 hours ago (16|11)      A bunch of unattractive unfunny women impugning a man for being not an apex male.  Imagine if the genders were reversed.      permalink     save     source     save     parent     give gold  [–]Grubnar 6 points 4 hours ago (12|6)  I am trying ... and I can't. Men are not usually judged by their attractiveness, but by their wealth.

Indeed, I’ve rarely seen irony so thick as in the outraged comments of MRAs in these threads. Here’s another angry Redditor:

Ruwanimo 132 points 14 hours ago (207|75)  I just saw the sketch and am speechless. I am beyond insulted as a male and heartbroken that flagrant sexism and shaming is OK. I can't even imagine how it would look if the genders were reversed.

Heavens! Sexism and shaming! MRAs NEVER engage in either of those things!

Oh, wait. That’s pretty much the entire basis of their movement.

Ruwanimo, you say you can’t imagine how it would look if the genders were reversed? You don’t have to imagine. All you have to do is go to the Men’s Rights subreddit, or A Voice for Men, or any other prominent (or not-so-prominent) Men’s Rights site. Or you could read through the Man Boobz archives. Ta da! Literally hundreds — make that thousands — of examples of MRAs directing “flagrant sexism and shaming” at women. (Also note: this shaming is directed at women, not only at feminists, whereas the SNL skit directed its shaming only at MRAs, not at men in general.)

You’re welcome!

The AgainstMensRights subreddit is also all over this thing, though they’ve limited themselves to four threads — here, here, here and here, which is where I found that first discussion I screenshotted.

kittehserf

Ahoy, Viscaria! Knitting question (cos more interesting than Christine) – do you ever use hem weights in knitted clothes? Are they even still available?

Viscaria
Viscaria

I actually had to look hem weights up, because I hadn’t heard of them before and it wasn’t sure if maybe I had used them and just didn’t know what they were XD but no, I’ve never used them. I haven’t done much clothing knitting though.

I’m heading to bed 🙂 have a nice night.

House Mouse Queen

Kitteh: Tas has that big of a literacy problem? Wow. I guess because I stayed at the home of two university profs I didn’t see the other side of life there. I remember first hearing the derogatory word Bogan. I was totally confused. What is a bogan? Is it the equivalent of say, junkie?

Oh and to the two trolls: you’re boring. try harder.

I wondered if we could just make “It’s November 19th” the answer to any stupid question asked by someone with no idea about what they were talking about.

“Who wrote Dante’s Inferno?” “November 19th.”

“Can you fax me the original?” “I will on November 19th.”

“Did that hurt?” “November 19th!”

sparky
sparky

Why yes, Christine, I find it eminently reasonable that the person whose body is the one that will be going through the pregnancy, the one who is taking on all the medical and physical risks, should have the final say in the matter. I so find it eminently reasonable that safe, effective and affordable methods of birth control be available to all.

I find it morally reprehensible that you seem to think that a person should be forced to undergo pregnancy and birth. I also find it morally reprehensible that you think men should be able to abandon their already-born children.

If you do think like these women and men, so disrespectful of the opposite sex, do the world a favor and DONT procreate please!

Fuck off. This may come as a shock to you, but you actually don’t get to decide whether or not other people have children. You also don’t get to tell people whose political views you disagree with that they shouldn’t have children.

You really are lacking in the ethics department, aren’t you?

We don’t need anymore developmentally challenged minds out there.

No, seriously, fuck off, you slimeball.

That they involve themselves in activism is worse yet that they’re actually so confident they’re way is right they tell themselves they need to reach out and broaden the minds of others.

Know what, Christine? We’re confident because we are right. And we’re not going anywhere, not as long as there are morally reprehensible slimeballs like you on the planet.

Please until they find a cure for your particular affliction, keep your diseased mind and thought process to yourselves!!!! I have gay and lesbian friends and they’re not even this hateful of the opposite sex usually so I really have to wonder what is making these men and women so bitter?

No, seriously, fuck off.

RandomPoster
RandomPoster

“I guess “don’t act like an angry manchild anywhere” isn’t an option?”

Get out of your ivory tower, in case you’ve noticed, the menchildren are still the ones running a majority of the world right now. ex. Putin in Russia.

— “To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war.” – Winston Churchill

cassandrakitty

My tower is made of wood, actually. Ivory isn’t very earthquake-safe.

grumpycatisagirl
grumpycatisagirl

Ivory tower? Huh?

“I guess “don’t act like an angry manchild anywhere” isn’t an option?”

So that’s a no, then?

weirwoodtreehugger

My tower is woven out of the huge gobs of fur my cat Darrow sheds. He seriously sheds enough to make a whole new cat each week.

sparky
sparky

So, Putin makes it is impossible for men to refrain from acting like angry manchildren?

Patrick
Patrick

gotta love the scum somehow defending this skit. no leg to stand on and they bash away at MRA’s.

Fuck yall, you are a bunch of sheep meeping at each other seeing who can meep the loudest.

neuroticbeagle

alternatesteve90

@Patrick: And you sir, are a whiny ass-backwards troll. How about them apples? =)

Shadow
Shadow

My tower is made of wood

I loled cos I’m twelve

weirwoodtreehugger

We are resplendent with trolls today!

Um, Patrick? Sheep say baah. Roadrunners say meep. Come back when you’ve graduated from preschool and have learned your animal noises.

sparky
sparky

WWTH:

We are resplendent with trolls today!

I know, right? It’s like they all picked today to crawl out if the woodwork.

Patrick: Sheep don’t meep, they go baaaa. I think you’re thinking of the Roadrunner. Also, prove it.

theladyzombie

The clip was obnoxious and racist and just not funny at all. They missed a golden opportunity to really lampoon their movement. Hell, they could have plucked MRA talking points from this very blog.

Hard chairs
Penguins
Scented candles
Places in Canada where feminists run wild in the streets and kill men
SCUM Manifesto

The possibilities are endless.

grumpycatisagirl
grumpycatisagirl

About the roadrunner:

Although commonly quoted as “meep meep”, Warner Brothers, the current owner of all trademarks relating to the duo, lists “beep, beep” as the Road Runner’s sound, along with “meep, meep.” According to cartoon historian Michael Barrier, Julian’s preferred spelling of the sound effect was “hmeep hmeep”.[1]

Some say the muppet Beaker goes “meep meep” but to my ears I it sounds like he goes “mi mi.”

marinerachel
marinerachel

Meep with me, friends. Meep!

cassandrakitty

Anyone up for a round of That’s Not My Cow?

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

Naah, I’d rather play That’s My Horse.

cloudiah

Patrick’s thought process:

Feminists are bad.
Feminists make fun of MRAs.
“Make fun of” includes any critique of MRAs at all.
All people who make fun of MRAs are feminists.
All feminists agree with each other. SHEEPLE!!!!
Therefore I do not need to read a feminist blog post or its comments to actually determine what is going on there before asserting that I know what is going on there.

FEMINISTS ARE WOMEN AND WOMEN SCARE ME PLEASE STOP SCARING ME

Rilian
Rilian

Christine, I agree with you that the parents should share custody, assuming both parents are capable. not so much on all that other crap you said.

Kim
Kim

Sheesh Christine. Take a breath and put in some paragraphs. That wall of text would be hard to read even if it were interesting.

kittehserf

Anyone up for a round of That’s Not My Cow?

Hey, I’m just re-reading Thud! at the moment! 🙂

cassandrakitty

Christine does not use paragraph breaks. Mostly she says “blah”. No, Christine is not my cow!

Random Wanker is a lot like DKM in his approach to interpersonal relationships, but without the articulacy or the hilarious pretentiousness. Random Wanker says “wah”. No, Random Wanker is not my cow either!

kittehserf

No, it’s more like … actually it’s pretty nebulous. It doesn’t mean straight-out working class, though it’s a classist thing. It’s a little more like redneck. It’s easy to look at someone and say yep, bogan, but harder to define it. Nothing to do with drugs, though. Mullet haircuts, tight jeans, flannelette shirts, souped up or crappy Holden or Ford cars, probably tattoos, almost certainly cigarettes, probably a few missing teeth (dental care is largely out of reach of the poor here, too), a very nasal, ‘Strine accent – those are the sort of things I think of when I think of bogan stereotypes. It’s certainly a class thing and it’s about suburban stereotypes of things a lot of people are uncomfortable with. I admit to being uncomfortable too, because I do see people who pretty much fit that image on the train, and they’re the ones most likely to be drunk or obnoxious or swearing at their kids in the hours I’m travelling, not that it happens often, and it’s not like obnoxious behaviour’s limited to one type or one stereotyped group.

BigSisterIsWatching
BigSisterIsWatching

Wow, just wow. This is incredibly racist. I guess racism is acceptable when you are a perpetually oppressed victim. Attempting to make fat women commercially attractive isn’t going to make muscular men want to have sex with you fatties.

trans_commie

I’m so sick of FRAs like Christine. The whole fathers’ rights movement is a joke. Shared custody shouldn’t be the legal standard, and under the current system enabling deadbeat parents via the lack of child support is a recipe for disaster. Does it suck that custody is awarded to more mothers than fathers? Sure. But that issue boils down to gender roles and patriarchal stereotypes, not misandric legal standards.

she did point out one important thing, though. Respecting women’s reproductive rights is the most evilest crime of crimes!

cassandrakitty

Hi, budmin! Your tell is showing.

trans_commie

Such stunning and insightful commentary, bud.

cassandrakitty

Hey now, if you start calling him bud I’ll start thinking I can use him to get stoned, and that’s just a recipe for disappointment.

Rilian
Rilian
Reply to  trans_commie

trans_commie, shared custody shouldn’t be the standard? why?

kittehserf

Awww, poor little budget troll is upset he was banned, now.

Guess what, idiot: you’ve already been reported again.

alternatesteve90

@BritterSweet: BTW, are you an Ed, Edd, and Eddy fan? I am. =)

contrapangloss

Yep. Unless malaprop man has become a malaprop duo (unlikely), we have bud back!

Hi, Bud. How is stuffinglessness?

trans_commie

Rilian, I think it custody should be decided on a case-by-case basis.

weirwoodtreehugger

Commercially attractive is a pretty obvious tell isn’t it? Well, I called impending sock in the other thread. Yay me?

weirwoodtreehugger

I love that the trolls in this thread assumed we all loved the skit and didn’t notice or care about the racism. Try reading the post and the comments guys!

entropistanon

Hell, try reading the title of the post. It’s pretty informative.

Not that the trolls would ever waste their time EDUCATING themselves when they can just assume what their opponents’ opinions will be….

cassandrakitty

C’mon, buddy, say something ridiculous before you get banned again. I know you have another malapropism that you’re just dying to unleash.

contrapangloss

Ooooh! Bud should tell us more about how hostel the world is! That’d be exciting.

cassandrakitty

We should really add that to the list of classic Manboobz moments along with SPINSTERS. I’m feeling very hostel today. Are you feeling hostel?

Austin Papageorge
Austin Papageorge

Damn, that was awkward as shit. I can’t get past the first 1:20 minute mark.

It’s pretty repulsive to portray the Latin American woman as particularly pliable to an MRA’s demands.

saintnick86
saintnick86

Are you saying that you prefer men to act out for real offline?

No, that’s what you read. I was saying that – if they were not cowards – they would honestly admit their beliefs in person. I mean, I know I do. But I’m also not ashamed of what I believe in…

(Stereo)typical female, not just feminist, no appreciation whatsoever — and disdainfully contemptuous even — for civilized (hetero)male restraint, but still hypocritically whining about it all the same even when men do the opposite and allow their ID to become unfettered.

Wow, only one sentence and you show your true colors already! That’s impressive in a pathetic kind of way…

saintnick86
saintnick86

You obviously haven’t read the thread. Well, that, or you are semi-illiterate.

Sheep don’t fucking “meep” – they “baah”. Your parents obviously gave you malfunctioning toys, growing up…

Martin
Martin

Richard Herring (discussed above) does a series called RHLSTP, the Richard Herring Leicester Square comedy podcast, in which he interviews (mostly) stars of (mostly) British (mostly) comedy.

Although he has generally sound opinions, it’s not at all a social justice podcast, so don’t expect that, but I find it fascinating and funny. It was on this podcast that Stephen Fry talked for the first time about his suicide attempt and there was alsoa great discussion with Mary Beard about the harassment she’s received on Twitter.