alpha males entitled babies evil ugly women hypocrisy misogyny MRA oppressed men reddit ugly feminists virgin shaming

Saturday Night Live takes on Men’s Rights Activists in Not-Actually Funny Skit

SNL's MRA and his soon-to-be-ex Venezuelan girlfriend
SNL’s MRA and his soon-to-be-ex Venezuelan girlfriend

So this is … interesting. Last night, Saturday Night Live did a sketch, featuring guest host Lena Dunham, about Men’s Rights Activists. Alas, it wasn’t actually funny, or particularly on the mark, and it was kind of, sort of, maybe, a little bit racist (well, ok, a lot), but it did at least give a pretty good impression of what people in the real world think of the MRAs we know and loathe so well. I can’t embed it here, so go take a look at it on Hulu.

The folks in the Men’s Rights subreddit are up in arms about it, and have started not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, but six threads on the subject. (There may be more; that’s all I noticed.) Well, it’s not often they get this much attention, so I guess their excitement is understandable.

Given that the sketch was actually pretty crappy in a lot of ways, the MRAs did have some legitimate complaints to make against it — like the fact that the women in the sketch mocked the MRA character for being an unattractive loser. But naturally the Men’s Rights Redditors managed to undercut even this perfectly reasonable criticism by attacking the women in the sketch for being uggos. (Oh, misogynists, why do you hate Lena Dunham so much?) Here’s a rather delightfully ironic snippet of the discussion:

SNL manages to misinterpret MRA arguments, shame man who are less physically attractive than others by implying they are somehow lesser, says that all MRAs are only MRAs because of bad love experiences, and accuse the MRHM of being pro-life, which is a blatant lie. (hulu.com)  submitted 7 hours ago by Feminists_Are_Jelly      29 comments     share     source     save     hide     give gold     report     hide all child comments  sorted by: hot navigate by: submitter | moderator | friend | admin | IAmA | images | popular | new you are viewing a single comment's thread.  view the rest of the comments →  [–]MockingDead 16 points 6 hours ago (27|11)  A bunch of unattractive unfunny women impugning a man for being not an apex male.      permalink     save     source     save     give gold     hide child comments  [–]ugly_duck 5 points 5 hours ago (16|11)      A bunch of unattractive unfunny women impugning a man for being not an apex male.  Imagine if the genders were reversed.      permalink     save     source     save     parent     give gold  [–]Grubnar 6 points 4 hours ago (12|6)  I am trying ... and I can't. Men are not usually judged by their attractiveness, but by their wealth.

Indeed, I’ve rarely seen irony so thick as in the outraged comments of MRAs in these threads. Here’s another angry Redditor:

Ruwanimo 132 points 14 hours ago (207|75)  I just saw the sketch and am speechless. I am beyond insulted as a male and heartbroken that flagrant sexism and shaming is OK. I can't even imagine how it would look if the genders were reversed.

Heavens! Sexism and shaming! MRAs NEVER engage in either of those things!

Oh, wait. That’s pretty much the entire basis of their movement.

Ruwanimo, you say you can’t imagine how it would look if the genders were reversed? You don’t have to imagine. All you have to do is go to the Men’s Rights subreddit, or A Voice for Men, or any other prominent (or not-so-prominent) Men’s Rights site. Or you could read through the Man Boobz archives. Ta da! Literally hundreds — make that thousands — of examples of MRAs directing “flagrant sexism and shaming” at women. (Also note: this shaming is directed at women, not only at feminists, whereas the SNL skit directed its shaming only at MRAs, not at men in general.)

You’re welcome!

The AgainstMensRights subreddit is also all over this thing, though they’ve limited themselves to four threads — here, here, here and here, which is where I found that first discussion I screenshotted.

weirwoodtreehugger

Why do misogynists hate Lena Dunham? She is over size 2 and not only has the indecency to exist in that appalling condition, but isn’t ashamed of it and has the audacity to appear on camera nude.

Oh, the horror!

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

That sketch was pretty painful, I’m not gonna lie.

catgirl
catgirl

This is so racist. What the fuck. That’s not even what Venezuelan women sounds like. And what’s with the flower in the hair?
It’s like they learned everything about Latin women from Gloria on Modern Family.
Well, I guess this is how feminist white laydeez see me.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

“Imagine if this thing that happens all the time were being done instead of this!” — MRAs, White Nationalists, assorted Fedoralords

markb
markb

Do MRA’s have any particular animus against Planned Parenthood? I thought they didn’t care about it one way or the other. My first thought was that the writers of the sketch just figured if conservative Christians are anti-woman and MRA’s are anti-woman, they must both be against abortion. At some point I had to stop watching because of the overblown “Venezuelan” accent.

Rabukurafuto
Rabukurafuto

I always had the impression that most MRAs were against abortion given how I would see lines like “Feminists make women think it’s all right to abort our children!” but I think it’s more because they find it unfair that women can chose to abort when they can’t (and apparently this means they automatically pay child support or something).

Judas Peckerwood
Judas Peckerwood

Wait, when did SNL stop being funny? Oh, right.

sparky
sparky

markb:

Ugh, right? I couldn’t make it past “yule-a-ree.” Seriously, SNL?
I don’t know if MRA’s are particularly opposed to Planned Parenthood. They mostly seem pissed that they can’t have a “paper abortion” and totally evade responsibility for children they father. Though Planned Parenthood serves women, and any organization that serves women’s needs instead of men’s needs must be misandrist.

Bina
Bina

MRAs hate any woman who is not “commercially” attractive, because she makes their boners sad.

They also hate any woman who IS “commercially” attractive, because they’ll never have her.

What more is there to know? You just can’t win with those guys.

kittehserf

They’d be opposed to the idea of women being pregnant/giving birth by the woman’s choice, not the man’s. I’d bet they’re fine with abortion when it means the man forcing the woman to have one. It’s all the control thing. Back in the day they’d have got their rocks off on having newborns exposed.

sparky
sparky

khantron: Oh good fucking grief, of course.

Because birth control and abortions are exactly like elective cosmetic surgery.

Ashley

When I saw it, I wondered how many MRAs would actually engage a woman enough to go with her to a jewelry party. I would find that kind of thing quite attractive in a man, which means that no MRA would ever do such a thing because that would just be too white knighting of him.

saintnick86
saintnick86

God, that sketch was awful – though I’d argue that’s an accurate description. Even one of my neighbors – who espouses MRA talking points, much to my chagrin – is horribly passive-aggressive in the same way when he’s around women. One of my female friends, when stopping by a liquor store, asked if he could help carry something. His first response was to point out how some college classmates would call it sexist of him.

Uh, dude? They asked you to help carry something – because they were already carrying things themselves. Even my female friends were annoyed by it – as if asking him at all was some kind of goddamn insult. If he wasn’t there and I had my hands empty, I would’ve just done it and not complained. ‘Cause that’s what a decent human being does.

As far as the Planned Parenthood thing goes: I wouldn’t be surprised if MRAs simply dislike abortion due to representing reproductive rights of women, like birth control pills do. They obviously wouldn’t give a shit when it benefits them (they certainly dislike the idea of being forced into fatherhood) but since organizations like Planned Parenthood and the availability of contraceptives give women more say when it comes to sexual relationships – they hate it.

Bina
Bina

MRAs are against birth control and/or abortion because they don’t get to use “babies” to control women.

MRAs are against “spermjacking”, because babies. And child support.

You just can’t fucking win with those losers.

saintnick86
saintnick86

They only go around yelling about “white-knighting” behind the safety of their monitors. They’re gigantic cowards in real life and, like anyone else, will compromise to be around others (if only very briefly – the guy I mentioned before is barely around most of the time).

Rilian
Rilian

I don’t even know what the point of that bit was. It kind of seemed like it was on the side of the mra.

kittehserf

saintnick – would this loser neighbour of yours react the same way if a bloke asked him to help carry stuff? ‘Cos if not, well, guess who’s showing his spotty sexist arse …

Lili Fugit
Lili Fugit

I only saw a fragment of the sketch. The accent thing got me too. Having said that, the guy trying to buy off all the women in the room with jewelry and then slinking out the door leaving his ex the car was, I have to say, accurate. That’s how they get to call themselves Nice Guys ™ and then whine later about how persecuted they are.

I was much more amused by Lena Dunham as Eve.

Alice Sanguinaria

The sketch was just bad. I didn’t find it funny; in fact, it actually struck me as extremely racist. Plus they could have done more with the skit. Instead of strawmanning MRA positions, they could have used actual positions, like their insistence that rape culture don’t real.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

I’m watching the sketch for a few seconds at a time as I type this:

It started feeling stupid (not even the funny kind of stupid) and obviously scripted right from the get-go. Jewelry party? Really? And the acting is just awful.

Okay, now I see where the racism comments are coming from. Heavy fake accent, and I’ll take the word of those who say that’s not even what Venezuelan women sound like. The outfit is almost costume-like in pointing her out as the foreigner.

The guy was pathetic, but not in the same way as MRAs actually are. It gave me the impression that the show still meant to portray him as the poor Unlucky Everydude who’s being bullied by those mean women.

kittehserf

I’m rather glad Hulu doesn’t work in Oz. I might have been tempted to watch it, though the racist references from the Americas would probably go straight through to the keeper.

saintnick86
saintnick86

Probably not, though I’m sure he’d try “clarifying” it with bullshit…

This is a guy who claimed that the books being used at the university we live near are “feminist propaganda.” Having worked at the community college bookstore, which is owned by the same company, I can certainly say that none of that is fucking true. I even pointed that out to him and he still dismissed it – as if someone who works for the company that sells his books wouldn’t know what books the guy has.

I can’t help but think that some guys who go to college (or even grad school) have no life outside of their classes and research. They have this very skewed idea of what feminism is and base it entirely off their professors and other obsessive students (who are a vast minority in comparison to the general population), rather than interacting with people in general.

Like, a former friend on FB wouldn’t ever fucking shut up about how feminists at his college were fans of Andrea Dworkin – nevermind most other feminists I talk to aren’t fond of her. It was even worse when we discussed Pinochet’s Chile wherein he took the uber-Libertarian position and, being as I knew what I was talking about, pointed out the various policies under the regime and their ill effects. The reason he dismissed everything I said? I brought up Naomi Klein’s Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism in one of my arguments. Of which he countered with a totally bias article from Reason Magazine. ‘Cause of course…

insanitybytes22

I’m actually really annoyed with that SNL skit. How can you possibly screw up a MRA comedy? Those guys are nothing but comedy! An epic fail like this is just comedic sacrilege.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

Upon further reflection, the part where the Planned Parenthood clinics were closed down could have been done better but had some hidden gems.

In the sketch, the “Venezuelan” woman initially boasts about him doing so because she believed he had been fighting against a horrible place, implying that before this gathering, he may have been bragging about it to her. Then when the other woman points out what Planned Parenthood actually does, suddenly he wants to shift the credit away from himself. “Well, my group did.” And the gf is wondering why he suddenly became so “modest,” even before PP was explained, so on a level he knew what he was really doing.

hellkell
hellkell

The misters will use any excuse to work themselves up. I think they’d last maybe half a day as women.

SNL is dead. Long live SNL.

Christine
Christine

Wow can’t believe some of the comments here by both men and women. These types of haters make it bad for everyone. I wonder if these women had sons or men had daughters if they would still be so hateful or ok with their poisonous disgusting stance on the rights or lack of involving the opposite sex. These women think they should have all the say on reproductive rights or parental rights simply because we give birth. Women have been giving birth since the beginning. I’ve given birth three times and still don’t feel I should be the only deciding factor. Women just like men have irresponsible sex resulting in unplanned pregnancies but feel they alone should be able to decide when the man should accept fatherhood but don’t want to be told themselves. They don’t want to be expected to carry a child for 9 mons should the father want the child but think we should expect a man to pay child support for their decision to keep a child upwards of 24 or more years. And men are trying to control women? Women want the right to decide whether a fetus is a baby or just a fetus all of course depending on her view of the situation. They also want to control the situation when the decision to end a relationship happens. Then they want to control the child’s time and demand the majority role in raising the child. The father is reduced to simply handing over his pay and seeing the child maybe one day a week and every other weekend. I’ve seen some men act shamefully as well but I see women manipulate and take full advantage of the courts bias in numbers that far outweigh men. The underhanded tactics I’ve seen used are bizarre. Then I see the men in here who’s actions only support some of these women and their assanine beliefs. The majority of women aren’t this hateful usually, neither are men. Feminists belong with chauvinists! Both positions equally idiotic and equally harmful to the normal psyche. If you truly believe in equality then family courts for one need to award equal custody with no child support awarded to either parent. Each parent providing for the child during their time with the child. Only if either parent chooses less involvement should support then be awarded based on the number of days one parents responsibility exceeds the other. The children can adapt very well to this arrangement because children see things as fair and square and now have equal time with each parent. It’s a very simple concept. Only women feel they have the right to dictate that this arrangement isn’t good for a child when in reality it isn’t good for their purse . Everyone knows their are parents who don’t want the responsibility but there are a lot of women now days taking that stance. Deadbeat doesn’t refer to just dads anymore. If you do think like these women and men, so disrespectful of the opposite sex, do the world a favor and DONT procreate please! We don’t need anymore developmentally challenged minds out there. That they involve themselves in activism is worse yet that they’re actually so confident they’re way is right they tell themselves they need to reach out and broaden the minds of others. Please until they find a cure for your particular affliction, keep your diseased mind and thought process to yourselves!!!! I have gay and lesbian friends and they’re not even this hateful of the opposite sex usually so I really have to wonder what is making these men and women so bitter? Good sex can do wonders so maybe these folks just need somebody to blow their hair back lol geez what sad sad people!!!

alternatesteve90

I saw the sketch myself…..yeah, I myself believe it really could have been done better, in general. And the accent(costume as well) certainly did come across as culturally insensitive, to be honest(though I’m sure that wasn’t the intent). “Bruce” at least, seemed slightly realistic, but was also a little too buffoonish as well(I’m assuming this word is OK, but please inform me if otherwise).

I mean, don’t get me wrong: I do think S.N.L. made an honest effort to lampoon these ass-backwards MRAs. It’s just that they fell short, and I think we can all agree there was quite a bit left to be desired. Just my two cents, really.

kittehserf

You know one more little bit of irony? MRAs whining about men being shamed for not being handsome over a sketch featuring actors. A not-handsome dude, in other words, who’s in mainstream US television. How many women manage that? (OT that’s one of the things I prefer about UK television: so much more variety in facial features and less of the beautiful-bland look.)

RandomPoster
RandomPoster

“They only go around yelling about “white-knighting” behind the safety of their monitors. They’re gigantic cowards in real life”

Are you saying that you prefer men to act out for real offline? (Stereo)typical female, not just feminist, no appreciation whatsoever — and disdainfully contemptuous even — for civilized (hetero)male restraint, but still hypocritically whining about it all the same even when men do the opposite and allow their ID to become unfettered.

House Mouse Queen

Like kitteh I’m in a country that can’t watch it: Canuck Land and I feel the same way about it as she does. Meh. I’m not missing out. The truth is stranger than that skit I’m sure.

You know when you clean out an old jewelry box and the stuff you find from years ago gives you nice feelz? I found some old Emu and wild Cockatoo feathers from Oz. I also found an old love letter to me by an old beau named Joshua. He smoked way too much pot. I friendzoned him and he got all stalky (sitting under my 4th floor window for hours) so I used proxy violence (a 7’4″ bball player) to get rid of him. LOL

Oh and Paul Elam decided to cash in on the old MGTOW forum closing down. You should read the rules for it. My blog post about it is coming out tomorrow: here’s one of the guidelines:

we won’t practice gender-apartheid

then

women must leave their sex at the door

Head, meet hard, wooden desk.

alternatesteve90

@Kitteh: Yep.

@House Mouse Queen: Sorry to hear about the stalker, btw. Virtual hugs, if you want them.

Also:

“The truth is stranger than that skit I’m sure.”

I can’t help but agree: having seen some of this stuff myself, it really *IS* stranger.

kittehserf

HouseMouseQueen – eww to creepy stalker, yay for getting rid of him and yay for feathers! 🙂

I found some stuff I was looking for today, too – not in a jewellery box, though. I was trying to track down Mum’s and my birth certificates, which I’ll need to have for claiming benefits and so on. They’d disappeared from the file we’d kept them in for years. Well, I found them, after much chucking around and shredding of paper (Maddie loved that bit) and, bonus, found $90 in greenbacks left over from my last trip to the US! That’s really good, it means I don’t have to pull money out straight away when I go. Our poor dollar is nowhere near as good against the US one as it was three years ago.

Cinzia La Strega

They should have come to us for better material.

I guess “don’t act like an angry manchild anywhere” isn’t an option?

kittehserf

Like your extended nym, Cinzia La Strega!

They really should. We’d have done much better scripts. Hell, we’ve got better scripts on hand, they could have just read any number of threads.

Imagine someone shouting SPINSTERS! on Saturday Night Live.

grumpycatisagirl

Here’s something I find much more interesting and amusing than the SNL skit. Anyone ever heard of Richard Herring (I hadn’t ’til just now.)

kittehserf

I hadn’t heard of him, but I like that piece.

One’s tempted to say “Every fucking day of the year” in answer to that question, but of course that just riles up the poor menz fee-fees even more.

House Mouse Queen

Thanks steve.

Kitteh, you collect feathers too? Which ones do you have? You must have really good ones from living in Oz. I visited Tas for 3 months in 2003. Oh and good on ya for finding that cash. Wow 90 bucks! If I’m not mistaken even the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US. Well, it was for a time.

I really do miss Oz. You’re so lucky to live there. I climbed this mountain in Tas and drank sweet water from the streams. OMG it was awesome. Best water I ever tasted.

weirwoodtreehugger

That’s quite the teal deer you’ve got there Christine! I’m not sure what you’re arguing. You gave birth three times therefore men shouldn’t have to pay child support? I’m not following the train of logic.

Child support laws are there for the benefit of the child/ren. Not their mothers. Somebody has to pay for the children’s upbringing. It’s either going to be the parents or the state. Since budgets are finite, obviously the parents are going to be expected to provide as much as they can financially.

House Mouse Queen

@grumpycat

Loved that piece!

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

@ Christine

Paragraph breaks are your friend.

grumpycatisagirl

I know, kittehserf and house mouse queen, it’s awesome!

I LOLed especially here:

I wondered if we could just make “It’s November 19th” the answer to any stupid question asked by someone with no idea about what they were talking about.

grumpycatisagirl

Oh my, just looked up at that wall of text that just appeared . . . .

cloudiah

Were we even talking about any of the things “Christine” raised, or is zie just pasting some copypasta?

I mean, that was weird.

kittehserf

House Mouse Queen – no, I don’t collect feathers, I was yay’ing for you finding those ones and having happy memories.

Tas is beautiful, isn’t it? I visited once a few years ago. Didn’t go far; I stayed in Hobart and had a ferry trip round to Port Arthur. They’ve got real problems there, though. The illiteracy rate is nearly half all adults. That’s really scary.

We’re better off here than in the US, that’s for sure. The rotten thing is that the whole rancid right-wingery is here, too. Our government’s reactionary, racist, homophobic, sexist, you name it. They’re also determined to undermine unions and working people, doing by stealth what got them thrown out of office in 2007 when they tried it openly.

Hey, Christine-troll: paragraph breaks are your friends. If you want anyone to read your rantings, try not making them a wall o’ text.

Better yet, save yourself the effort and piss off with your misogynist nonsense.

Alice Sanguinaria

I was so confused; my eyes were glazing over. o_o

kittehserf

I LOLed especially here:

I LOLed at that too. Especially since Nov. 19 is Mr K’s BiL’s birthday. 🙂

Viscaria
Viscaria

Christine, as a person who can be pregnant, you have the right to seek the opinions or advice if anyone you choose about your decision to keep or to abort a pregnancy. If you want to consult your husband about it, you are absolutely welcome to. However, the decision of whether or not to allow a pregnancy to continue in your body ultimately belongs to you, as the owner of that body. No one has a right to overrule you on your own medical decisions. By the same token, you do not have a right to tell other people who they should have to talk to before they make their own medical decisions.

1 2 3 6