a voice for men a woman is always to blame boner rage butts creepy cuteness evil sexy ladies I am making a joke imaginary backwards land imaginary oppression kitties men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA sexualization warren farrell whores

Warren Farrell is an Ass, Man

Yep, that's a butt on the cover. He put a butt on the cover. Men are oppressed by women's butts.
Yep, that’s a butt on the cover. He put a butt on the cover. Men are oppressed by women’s butts.

You may remember the embarrassing spectacle a couple of months back when Warren Farrell asked the readers of A Voice for Men to help him pick out a cover picture for a new ebook version of The Myth of Male Power, the 21-year-old crackpot bestseller that more or less provided the, er, intellectual foundation for today’s Men’s Rights movement.

It wasn’t just embarrassing because AVFM is a noxious hate site that regularly calls women c*nts and whores and helps to organize informal campaigns of harassment directed at individual women. It was also embarrassing because all three of the pictures were sexualized images focusing on specific female body parts. You can guess which three, and you’d be right: tits, ass, and vagina (the latter tastefully covered in a merkin made of moss).

Well, Farrell ended up rejecting all of these images in favor of … a different picture of a woman’s butt. Yep, the screenshot above features the actual cover of the recently released ebook version of The Myth of Male Power. (You can see it in its full sized-glory over on Amazon.)

The implicit message of the cover couldn’t be clearer: men may seem to run the world, but women can control and exploit them through the power of their sexuality. Male power is undercut by … butt power.

Am I reading too much into a cover image? Farrell doesn’t really believe this nonsense, does he?

Well, in the introduction to the ebook, Farrell writes:

farrellButt1

In case you’re wondering, “genetic celebrity” is Farrell’s term of art for any attractive woman.

But golly, you say, the fact that a dude feels “powerless” because he can’t have sex with every woman with a nice butt that happens to wander across his field of vision doesn’t actually mean that men are powerless or that male power is a myth. Well, Farrell has an answer to this as well. And by “answer” I mean, well, whatever this is:

farrellbutt2
Got that? I’m not sure there’s anything there to get; it’s nothing more than hand-waving to distract attention from the nonsensical nature of his previous statements. In case any Men’s Rights activist ever brings Warren Farrell up as an example of a respectable, “academic” MRA, you may wish to point out that almost nothing Farrell writes ever actually makes any fucking sense.

In the book itself, Farrell repeatedly suggested that male power can be undone almost completely by the sexual power of women. In one oft-quoted passage, he wrote about the effect that a “secretary’s miniskirt power, cleavage power and flirtation power” allegedly has on their male bosses. (Myth of Male Power, p. 21)

While that statement has earned a certain notoriety for its sheer ridiculousness, Farrell went further elsewhere in the book, essentially arguing that men are as addicted to female “beauty” as drug addicts are to the drug of their choice — and as helpless.

“Sexually, of course, the sexes aren’t equal,” Farrell wrote. “[M]any men feel ‘under the influence the moment they see a beautiful woman.” (p. 320, emphasis in original.)

This sort of temporary “intoxication,” Farrell argued, leads men into shackling themselves to these temporarily sexy tyrants for the rest of their lives — thus agreeing to support them (he suggested implicitly) even after they get old and ugly. (p. 85.)

farrellbeautytrap

In Farrell’s original book, this “argument,” such as it is, was merely one of many that he thought undercut the alleged “myth of male power.” Now, with the butt on the cover, he’s put it front and center. Or, more precisely, rear and center.

Warren Farrell, you’re an ass, man.

Oh, awkward segue here, I just wanted to show off the cover to the new edition of my classic book, The Myth of Human Power.

mythhumanpower

It will soon be available for one million dollars in cash in unmarked bills, upon delivery of which I will sit down and write it for you. It will probably be pretty short and not very convincing.

leatapp
leatapp

Budmin,
…and we’re back to you not making any sense. The system is not getting more hostile to you. It just doesn’t kowtow to you quite as much as it used to. Just curious, Bud. Do you also think that the system is getting hostile toward white and straight people? Has political correctness, in your opinion, run amok?

grumpycatisagirl

Budmin’s mostly boring but every once in a while something gold comes out.

“Mansplsining semi-literaturate asshole”

is one of those gold things. Should be the title of something.

grumpycatisagirl

We have to consolidate our wealth. We have to figure out what’s the best way to petition the state for assistence. We have to cut off the excess baggage of societal expectations

Only men have to do all this? Well, thank God I’m not a man. That all sounds like completely horrible stuff I’ve never had to do.

budmin
budmin

@Malitia I’ve never been with a prostitute. At this point I’m terrified that I would end up like Lawrence Taylor and find myself arrested for being with an underage prostitute. It’s just not worth it. Not that there’s guilt its just that every story I keep hearing disgust the hell out of me. I have been to my fair share of strip clubs though.

@Sparky I’m not butt hurt I’m cynical.

Luzbelitx

Meybe because your only motivation is fear, it makes you angry that women can make chocices with a different motivation.

takshak
takshak

Why is there no stuffing left in this cat toy?

contrapangloss

Was there any stuffing to begin with?

I kinda thought it was all improperly recycled paper bags, delivered by the malaprop man. Sure, the world is getting more hostel. At least most hostels have clean sheets! The snoring can get awkward…

vaiyt

And that’s bad because?

I’m sorry, I guess I’m supposed to cry because men are getting less and less allowed to keep women as dependent acessories and force them to marry in order to sustain themselves. A bloo bloo. I’ll call the waaaaaaahmbulance.

vaiyt

As opposed to, say, an underage girl ending up as a prostitute? You think YOU’re the one in a bad situation in that case?

Molly Moon
Molly Moon

Budmin, I’m curious. What would your utopia look like, in terms of gender relationships?

weirwoodtreehugger

Molly Moon, I’m guessing the Handmaid’s Tale.

leatapp
leatapp

vaiyt,
You took the words right out of my mouth. He’s not concerned that he might rape an underage kid forced into prostitution. He’s worried he could be caught raping an underage kid forced into prostitution. He’s cast himself as the victim with more to lose in that situation.
..and it isn’t as if there is no way to figure out if your sex worker is of age or not unless you are trolling for the barely legals anyway.

Bud,
If you think that men have more to fear than women when it comes to sex and relationships and you think society is harshest toward doods, you are painfully out of touch with reality. You being dissatisfied with your life does not = the worst most horrible human rights violation ever.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

You’re feeling down, and think that if the girl across the room gives you a kiss, you’ll feel better. But the girl doesn’t want to kiss you. Do you:

A.) Find another way to feel better?
or
B.) Punish the girl for not kissing you?

vaiyt

C.) Punish the girl then say she brought it on herself.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

I think I can somewhat explain these doods who think society is being harshest toward them by being equal. They’re so used to the system catering to them, that that is what’s “normal” to them, and any moves toward ACTUAL equality are seen as biased toward the ones who were lower in the hierarchy. Equality IS a demotion when you started out on the top.

Tracy
Tracy

budmin… you didn’t, by chance, leave this note on a plane recently, did you?

Yanno, since you like to give unsolicited advice to the wimmenz. And seem to resent women having careers because it has cramped your dating life.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

I usually don’t have much to contribute here besides some occasional brain bleach.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Hookergal is offering false validation to men who need a real human connection.

Yeah, she should be fucking all those men for free! That’s basically your argument, right?

Sparky already asked you this and you dodged it, so let me repeat it: you’re saying sex workers who are victims of violence totally bring it on themselves?

all I could do is voice my concerns. If I think she’s headed down the wrong path I say so. If she chooses not to listen, it’s okay but I’m not gonna keep quiet.

Yeah, it’s amazing how many people are ~so concerned~ about sex workers. But only concerned enough to tell them to stop doing it; taking steps to make their work safer or condemning the people who endanger them is out of the question!

And I’m sure you’re the first person who’s ever said these things to hookergal…

contrapangloss

When dealing with trolls, brain bleach is sometimes essential. This particular bleach looks very promising. Thanks!

Going to watch kitty, now!

titianblue
titianblue

when I worked as a security guard in a woman’s shealter

I’ve broken up more domestic violence incidents then I could count. They were lucky to have me.

Am I the only one who thinks that Budmin’s tale stinks of fish? A woman’s shelter where more domestic violence incidents happen than he can count? Really?

Viscaria
Viscaria

Hookergal is offering false validation to men who need a real human connection.

“False validation,” jfc. She offers services, her clients know what those services are and what they cost, and somehow she’s offering “false validation?” At what point is she misleading them? How? emilygoddess is right; it looks like you believe she ought to sleep with anyone who asks, as a duty.

titianblue
titianblue

I’m not even going to mention the divorce laws.

But you just did. And have you any understanding of them? Do you actually know what they say and how they are applied, where you live? Or are you just as ignorant about them as you are about everything else?

You really are full of shite.

titianblue
titianblue

The young lady met her client at a club he took her back to his place where they did the transaction. When she couldn’t find her cell phone she pulled out a knife and chased him to his car. The man watched as she cut up his car threatening him to come out. He pulled a gun out of his glove compartment and shop at the window.

Cool story, bro’.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

That’s what WF is saying right? Our achievements allows us access yo commercially attractive women.

WOMEN AREN’T REWARDS, asshole. They’re people.

If you were wondering what actual objectification looks like, this is a fine example.

1) feminism has elevated the price of female companionship past what a large segment of the male population is capable or willing to pay.

Um, if treating me as your equal is too high a price, that’s YOUR problem. Although I suspect you’re talking about actual financial costs, which would still be bullshit.

When I say validation I mean everything to include touch, warmth, affection, intimacy and understanding. More and more men are going to be brought up into a world without these interactions so to consolidate our experiences under a banner makes perfect sense. #MGTOW

I just can’t with this shit. I was emotionally abused by a parent, so my childhood was often deeply lacking in things like intimacy and understanding, but I’ve managed not to turn that into a stupid conspiracy theory about how everyone in that parent’s demographic is oppressing me by making me want their love and not giving it to me. I mean, can you even hear yourself right now?

Did you tell the women that their abusers were probably just acting out because they weren’t getting the validation they needed? I bet they loved that.

Most men have absolutely no problem finding touch, warmth, affection, intimacy and understanding.

And if we as a culture could move past our homophobic taboos on man-to-man displays of fondness, they could even get these things from other men.

kittehserf

Luzbelitx – thanks (re the curly sentence)! I was playing around with it and the sucked-into-a-black-hole bit seemed just right. 😀

kittehserf

Hookergal is hurting MEN and in retaliation they are HURTING her back.

And there you have it, the order of words says what he’s really pissed off about. It’s not even the potential violence sex workers face, it’s the oh noes what about teh menz, and blaming sex workers for the violence against them.

Same old, same old. If a woman is sexually available to any given man (as sex work or not) she’s blameworthy and his violence is her fault. If she’s not available to any given man, she’s blameworthy and his violence is her fault.

Piss off budget troll, we’ve heard it all before.

kittehserf

I don’t think women want the hard transactions of male escorts.

What makes you think male sex workers don’t cater for women? I’ve read interviews with guys who specifically mention that yes, the women who hire them do like conversation, and these guys provide it as well as attentive sex.

hellkell
hellkell

see this is a perfect example of y’all disagreeing with me for a stupid reason. Of course feminism has women in the job market, more in higher paying carrier feilds, more women who refuse to settle down, more women who are choosing their jobs over there marriages and more women who don’t want to be married to their work aday spouses any longer. Am I making this up? No.

I’m not even going to mention the divorce laws.

It’s every man for more appropriately every woman for herself in this modern era.

These are not bad things, you titty-baby. Don’t blame women because your life sucks. That’s on you.

trans_commie

Hookergal is hurting MEN and in retaliation they are HURTING her back.

Are you kidding me? GTFO. Take your victim-blaming, anti-sex-worker nonsense elsewhere – and preferably stop being terrible in general.

kittehserf

The bit about “women refusing to settle down” is laughable. It sounds like we’re staying single to spite men. Because of course nobody could be settled on their own. Nobody could be perfectly happy single, whether that means having sexual partners or not.

Notice how being single is such a Great Manly Drama when it’s dudes – MGTOW – yet when it’s women, it’s just that we’re refusing to settle down.

zippydoo
zippydoo

Maybe it’s just me, but if touch and companionship is validation, women are not only not responsible for getting that for every man, but women aren’t even required for that. In fact, this sort of equating physical contact = sexual = validation has a limited demographic that even feels this way.

My boyfriend comes from a culture where touching other men is not seen as automatically homosexual, and he is very comfortable with platonic physical contact, including hugging, arms around shoulders, etc. I’m a bit amused because judging from conversations with other MRAs, they don’t realise how attractive this ability to touch and express affection without requiring some sexual component really is, and they stubbornly refuse to recognise how they can directly benefit from rejecting this toxic form of masculinity which doesn’t involve women in the slightest.

But I’m not surprised considering the other views expressed by the troll.

trans_commie

Thanks, David!

kittehserf

LOL that vacuum-beagle is the best!

LBT
LBT

Ewwww, violence troll. Not sad to have missed that dude.

Also, if all this bullshit about guys losing their minds over women is true, does this mean that gay men are imprisoning each other? Or are bi men being imprisoned by EVERYONE?

Seriously, this shit doesn’t make any sense. I guess my nubile young body made my husband briefly lose his mind, which is why we’ve been married five years. *eye roll* Power of pheromones, y’all.

In nicer news: ZOMG GUYS A TEACHER WANTS TO USE ONE OF MY STORIES FOR THEIR ENGLISH CLASS. 8D

sparky
sparky

Budmin is banned for his comments about hookergal. Fuck you, asshole.

Yay! Thank you, David!

LBT: Congratulions! That’s so cool! 🙂

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I don’t think I’ve ever seen David swear at a troll before. It’s beautiful *wipes tear*

Skye
Skye

Yay, David!
Yay, LBT!

Bina
Bina

Damn, I didn’t get a few more chomps in on the chewtoy. Oh well…

Bina
Bina

PS: Congrats, LBT!

hookergal
hookergal

Aww. I go to sleep & you all kick budmins ass. Thanks everyone!
I guess I should say:
1. I work in Australia where sex work is legal & I can go to the police.
2. I’ve never had a violent client in person. Sure, I’ve had nasty texts, but I can block & delete.
3. The handful of girl I know who had to go to the police were treated fairly & clients prosecuted.
4. I saw something regarding underage girls. Ew. I refuse to see men who trawl for barely legals. Gross. The underage girl is the VICTIM and shouldn’t work.
5. As you all said, no matter a persons work, violence shouldn’t be expected. Ever.
6. The who knife/gun story. What I took is that he STOLE HER PHONE and wanted it back. Who brings a gun to a knife fight? A man who wants sex for free of a hooker. That’s who.

Anyway. I would be missed, I’m white & middle class. I work for myself & set my own rates. I’m expensive. I’m not sorry for what I do because it pays for my life while I study. And honestly, I owe nobody any explanation for my legal job. Nobody does.

But again. Thank you all

Octo
Octo

This whole “Men look for validation” stuff… even if that were universally true, wouldn’t that be OUR (i.e., men’s) fault instead of women’s?

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

I love how budmin’s underlying objection to sex work is that it’s bad for the male consumers. He can dress it up in as many post-hoc rationalizations as he wants, but that was the initial objection. Hookergal is “hurting” the men who pay her for sex, oh boo hoo, poor them.

And then he got to the bit where he was using that to justify them hurting her in return and it wasn’t funny any more. Hopefully by the time I reach the end of this thread I’ll find that David has done something about that comment.

cassandrakitty
cassandrakitty

And David has indeed delivered.

Alex

Hi guys!

I always feel this special happiness when I read a thread here where a troll gets chewed up and finally banned. Bye, buttmin (yeah my puns aren’t great today)!

weirwoodtreehugger

He spent so much time here, I’m confident we’ll be visited by a sock in the near future. 🙁

alternatesteve90

@hookergal: I’m so sorry that budmin was such a flaming jerk to you, by the way. What an ass he was! Virtual hugs from me, if you’re okay with that. =)

alternatesteve90

@cassandrakitty: Yeah, good freaking riddance to budmin.

@Alex: Yeah, me too. Me too. =)