off topic open thread video YouTube

Off topic: Yakety Rave

I’m too migrainey to brain properly today, so instead I give you some raver dudes dancing (?) to Yakety Sax. And, no, they weren’t really dancing to Yakety Sax, but I do kind of love the idea of vast fields full of people raving out to old novelty songs.

hellkell
hellkell

The part in the piece where Matchar says that progressive had better pay attention to the MRM or they will lead the conversation (I’m paraphrasing) made me want to barf and laugh. So much wrong.

Hey, if she’d really criticized them, she could have found out that they’re all about threatening women.

weirwoodtreehugger

It makes me sad that misogyny and rape apologia is so socially accepted that even a lot of women think it’s OK to say a misogynist hate group* has a point. I’m glad Matchar is getting called out.

*I accidently typed rape group instead of hate group. That works too.

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

Has anyone read Matchar’s book? I don’t want to pass judgement without giving it a look, but I’m feeling a nascent side-eye

Ally S

From the article:

The way rape is dealt with on college campuses is another bugaboo of the MRM. “We have a problem with feminists hyper-inflating rape statistics, creating a kind of hysteria on campus over a problem that needs due attention from law enforcement,” says Paul Elam, the founder of A Voice for Men, widely considered the flagship website of the MRM.

The founder of the flagship website of the MRM sure has trouble understanding that campus rape policies proposed by feminists help male victims in addition to female victims. Or it could be that he doesn’t really care about men who are raped and just wants the “selfish c*nts” to get what’s coming to them.

Ally S

Also, this is slightly off-topic, but one interesting thing about the MRA claim that rape isn’t a gendered crime is that it is always supported with evidence that female-on-male rape is as common as male-on-female rape. Yet they ignore the fact that women are overwhelmingly more likely to be raped by men than by women. If the crime weren’t gendered, wouldn’t female-on-female rape be virtually as common as female-on-male rape?

hellkell
hellkell

I haven’t read it, but my side-eye is locked, loaded, and ready to rock. I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that this “new domesticity” involves a fuckton of money and privilege.

Fibinachi

Yeah, I found it an interesting work on the nature of diplomacy, destruction and war, and colonization, plus some generally fine depictions of alternate histories. Science fiction, decently so. I was bit miffed at the ending, which did that vague ambigious thing where it’s not clear whether humans or the Race actually end up coming to blows and destroying each other, or if it’s all settled out, but it certainly had some good parallels for the Cold W–

Oh.

Not that Homeward Bound.

Well, eh. It was all right. I don’t really recall too many glaring specifics, or majorly annoying things. The entire idea boils down to a new “movement” of DIY stuff and knitting and threading and canning and working on the home, instead of buying quite as many things. Since most of my family does some form of craft, I guess I just had a really hard time accepting the idea that this was all some kind of “New Movement”. Plus, the idea that doing crafts around the home is some grand, political message and that it’s now the cool, hip thing to do because… other people are doing it struck me as really odd.

In that sense, it was kind of blind (Hell, my grandmother has been making jam for like 70 years now. Although I’m sure cute, young socialists also make jam) Oh! Oh! I remember one thing that did irk me!

Hellkell is pretty much spot on right about the idea that it’s not so much about Domesticity as it’s about domestic activities now being “In” because people with money also sometimes pickle stuff. That irked me.

My grandmothers pickles aren’t a political statement about the superiority of locally grown foods.

(Also, the title is misleading, it’s not about “women embracing” anything, it’s about a bunch of people who decide they’d rather do a bit of canning on the side)

Argenti Aertheri

“There will almost surely be more MRM rape campaigns in the coming year”

Well, the New Republic piece got that right, just not quite how they intended. Feminists are supposed to what exactly? Scream from the rooftops that the false reporting rate is no higher than for any other crime? Cuz we don’t say that every time it comes up? Coddle the MRM lest they spam more rape reporting forms? Well let’s just come right out and say that rape victims are less important than MAN FEELS!!

Feel better David!

hellkell
hellkell

Auggz: I’ve seen the golden mean in reference to art and architecture, but not racism. I don’t even know how it would be twisted to prove one race is superior or whatever.

pecunium

I need the link to the CDC study the MRM uses to say women are raping men like it was going out of style.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

Here’s Lindy West’s counterpoint http://jezebel.com/no-i-will-not-take-the-mens-rights-movement-seriously-1532799085

If anyone feels like some troll slaying, there’s a particularly gross one in there who is trying to argue that because 25% of sexual assault cases that are turned over to the FBI are excluded due to DNA evidence that is proof that there is an epidemic of false rape accusations.

Alice Sanguinaria

Hello Manboobzers!

It is raining and it is wet outside. I’ve already stepped in about four rather deep puddles and will need to step on more before the day is over. Wheee!

How are you?

Alice Sanguinaria

Also, I’m sorry to hear that David. I hope you feel better soon, headaches suck. 🙁

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

OMG, what it is it about friday lunch meetings that it seems perfectly okay to drink SOO MUCH beer? I have never been this tipsy this early in a day that I didn’t start the night before (and I’m not even gonna let you know how many timezs I had to go back and correct my errors.

And I’m leaving timezs there because I like it. And to stand in solidarity with cloudiah. But mostly because I am tired of hitting backspace.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

There seems to be a “thing” about false rape comments/posts at the moment.

Orac pointed out this post: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/the_anatomy_of_false_accusations_a_skeptical_case_study/

and also this counterpoint on the same site: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/evidence-based_reasoning_comments_on_a_blog_post

Is it “overstate false rape stats” month?

cloudiah

#soldiaritywihtcluodiah should totally be a thing. XD

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

Alice, stomp in ALL THE PUDDLES! It’s a well known fact that every puddle you stomp in takes six months off your age.

Ugh, the comments on that TNR piece are just getting worse and worse. There is one chucklefuck there arguing that feminists think “There are a lot of definitions of “rape”. That can include looking at a woman too long.” In which case, I need to call the cops, because the waitress at the pub totally looked at me for, like a whole minute longer than absolutely necessary just to take my order.

#IStandWithCloudiahUnlessSomeoneOffersMeCookiesOrMoreBeer

Alice Sanguinaria

gillyrosebee – I love puddles, but I don’t have boots. so my feet get wet and my shoes hold water in. 🙁

freemage
freemage

Alice: Stomp puddles barefoot, then, then dry your feet and put your shoes back on.

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

*bows down before superior logics of freemage*

pecunium

and I have a post up about the NR piece. Oi, was that hard to beat into shape.

kittehserf

Also, my cat just walked across my bf’s computer, to where he’s sitting, stepping on the power button and turning it off in the process. Definitely a case of “pay attention to meeee.”

When the Furrinati learn how to use computers, we’re doomed.

BritterSweet
BritterSweet

How do you come across these videos? That one made me smile.

Noadi

I don’t even want to start with that first CFI post. Let’s just say there is a massive conflict of interest there. Ben Radford has a history of sexually harassing at least one coworker. http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck/2013/08/07/ben-radford-and-cfi-a-point-of-contention/

neuroticbeagle

@Kitteh

We’re doomed or saved. I, for one, welcome our new Furrinati overlords.

emilygoddess

Everything is funny when set to Yakety Sax. Like a shrimp on a treadmill:

LBT
LBT

Where did this stupid idea that we have to give coverage to even the most absurd opinions on a controversial subject come up? Are we going to have to mention the Flatearthers every time we discuss astronomy too? I mean, otherwise there might not be balance, you know…

Argenti Aertheri

Small amounts of ricin may be good for you! Arsenic makes lovely glassware, the danger is overstated! VACCINES!!!111!!!11d! XD

Thank you LBT, I needed that bit of absurdity!

LBT
LBT

And napalm makes lovely candles! Don’t let the liberal conspiracy fool you!

LBT
LBT

Not absurd enough! This requires BLACK METAL YAKETY SAX!

cloudiah

That is one of the best uses of Yakety Sax ever.

kittehserf

Arsenic makes lovely glassware, the danger is overstated!

You will LOVE the reactions of the wallpaper manufacturers in The Arsenic Century.

“Nothing dangerous about arsenic powder floating out of green wallpaper! I’ll lick the entire wall to prove it!”

kittehserf

Well, it grosses me out, but I wouldn’t call it a fear of it, because I’m not thinking about it at other times, if that makes sense. But normal or not normal, I have no idea.

Have you asked her to eat with her mouth closed? Apart from anything else, it’s really bad manners.

Probably not “normal” as in “common,” but certainly highly understandable.

LBT
LBT

RE: couldiah

I concur. But then, there are few things Yakety Sax doesn’t improve.

pecunium

Napalm makes lousy candles, but it’s great for filling oil-lamps. Very pleasant color of flame (why do you complain the smoke detectors go off all the time when you light it,and the table is scorched…? Doesn’t diminish the lovely colors).

Argenti Aertheri

Pecunium — because your smoke alarm is like getting ice picked in the eye!

Kitteh — I think I still have the NatGeo suggesting that arsenic may’ve been what did Neopoleon in.

Radium glows in the dark, what do you mean I shouldn’t paint my nails with it!? (I think I still have 80s glow in the dark nail polish…hm, I bet my pharm student would love it…)

pecunium

I think the thesis I prefer is a poison by combination of weak arsenic toxicity, capped with the bitter almond oil in orgeat liqueur, of which he was quite fond. In other words, assassination. Best candidate seems to be French.

kittehserf

Argenti – it’s not that likely, unless it was slow cumulative poisoning. Hair samples from before his exile, and from Josephine, show they had plenty of arsenic in their systems then. It was hard not to in those days; the stuff was in so many things, whether it was meant to be (as a type of insecticide for crops, for instance) or as an adulterant. It got worse later in the century, too, with increasing industrialisation and the massive food adulteration that went with it.

I must see where my copy of The Arsenic Century’s hiding – probably under the bed somewhere. It has a short section about Napoleon.