off topic open thread

Open Thread for Personal Stuff: February 2014 Edition

catsdriving

An open thread for personal stuff, continuing from here.

As usual for these threads: no trolls, no arguments.

kittehserf

Yeah, well, so’s kyriarchy theory.

Oh thank you Fibi, now I gotta clean sammich out of my keyboard.

Fibinachi

I’d apologize, but I’m still trying to kill all the brain cells remembering that fact with alcohol here two days later, so this is just a way of sharing my pain.

By… splattering sandwhich over keyboards.

I may not be very good at this.

kittehserf

Well, it was a tasty sammich, so I’d say you are good at it! 😀

Argenti Aertheri

Pecunium — the young part definitely implies a kid, but my other idea may work, though it thought it too obvious to mention — (the) homerun?

Between my inability to title things, and personal bias, I’m going to bow out of making suggestions now that I know your intent. I’ve hit one homerun and I was like 11, and hate watching baseball (related to a history of freezing my ass off watching the Yale team play, and Pittsburgh…well, let’s not go there)

Re: yoga — fuck whether it’s racist, it’s a cult! Said a troll ages ago. In seriousness I think it can go either way on the racism question, depending the practice. The ones that incorporate spiritual elements and especially if they then act like this is the best/only way to enlightenments? Questionable, at best. The ones that are truly just stretching and breathing exercises? No clue how that could be racist.

As for “what do you do for exercise?” would “yoga stretches” or similar maybe help? Given how dumb this all is though, idk if anything would help. Sounds like a case where the person is just sure they’re right and that’s that.

Ally S

Kittehs, the argument is that the “spiritual” dimensions of Yoga tend to be watered down in the West, and people making a profit off something that’s been removed from its religious/cultural context is pretty much the gold standard of cultural appropriation.

BUT. Yoga was introduced and popularized in the West by Indian teachers, making it a practice that was freely shared rather than one that was stolen from a closed culture. So the appropriation argument probably doesn’t fly here, although of course I would defer to actual Desi or Hindu people.

I have seen some of cultural appropriation you describe – it’s definitely a thing. But for the most part, yoga doesn’t seem to be culturally appropriated in the West. So I agree.

Ally S

And if it means anything, I’m half Desi, although my ethnicity is technically Pakistani so I don’t really have as much of as say on yoga as Indians do. I could be wrong, but that’s how see things currently.

moldybrehd

@ eli & Sam-I-Was – my sympathies & virtual, non-contact hugs.

re: yoga as appropriation. Unlike some things (like warbonnets), it’s really dependent on who you’re talking to. Some people think you can only do yoga if you also take on the cultural and spiritual aspects as well, that otherwise you’re treating it like a buffet. Others feel equally strongly that you can only do yoga if you remove the exercises from the cultural context, because otherwise you’re fetishizing Indians. It’s a hot mess.

I personally think that practising yoga is fine so long as it’s done in a clear, respectful manner. If the instructor fetishizes it or disrespects it’s origins, then it’s not coming from a good place and you should probably change studios. If the instructor is good, then keep going!

And if you see that person again and they make another dig at you, tell them to stop spending so much time on tumblr!

kittehserf

Warbonnets. There’s one made of white feathers on display in a shop I pass every morning. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I have no idea whether there’s so much debate/angst/whathaveyou about yoga here.

pecunium

Argenti: Hrmn… from here I look back at my early twenties and think, “I was so young then” so the sense of looking back to the “prime of life” as being a youth/young is part of it (and there is a strong line of that in many streams of poetic habit).

I’ve never hit a homerun, just taken advantage of my ridiculous turn of speed to beat infield hits to the bag. My best hit ever, in fact, is a double. I’m just not built for clubbing the ball out of the park, so a “Texas Leaguer” is my bread and butter for getting safely to the base.

Brooked
Brooked

The same is true of martial arts.

Z
Z

auggzilliary:

Like, what are you supposed to call the type of exercise that involves holding flexible poses for several minutes.

The technical term for that is “isometric exercise” (I had to look it up because I always confuse isotonic and isometric). “Isometric and stretching exercises” covers pretty much the exercise part of yoga.

As for the non-exercise part… the less said, the better, for a variety of reasons.

titianblue
titianblue

I haven’t seen Maisie-cat since Saturday night, and given that she’s such a little homebody, I’ve been phoning the local vets and setting all the “missing cat” wheels in motion.

Maisie’s sister Minnie & I are trying not to worry.

Howard Bannister

Aw, man, that is the suck, titianblue.

titianblue
titianblue

It’s the end of half-term so I’m keeping fingers crossed that she’s just got herself shut in somewhere. Tonight, I plan to blitz the neighbourhood with posters & fliers.

grumpycatisagirl

Oh, sorry to hear this titianblue. I’ll keep my fingers crossed along with you. Keep us posted.

gillyrosebee

titianblue, best wishes and hopes for Maisie to come home right away!

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Oh, for sure. I started going to yoga and the classes I go to are like 95% exercise…and then we close with a big group “om”. It’s a little eyebrow-raising.

I had the exact same thought.

Titianblue, I hope you find your kitty!

leatapp
leatapp

Good luck, Titanblue.

cloudiah

I hope you find her soon, Titianblue.

Ally S

Good luck, titianblue. I hope you find her very soon and she is safe and well wherever she is.

Ally S

My LGBT-friendly aunt replied to my email about me leaving “because of stress from family”
and I having read her email I can trust that she won’t let anyone else know about her exchange. So now I am in the middle of writing an email to her about me being transgender.

I’m really scared, guys. I hope her views haven’t changed and she is still loving and accepting. Maybe I just had too much coffee this morning but I’m literally crying as I’m writing this and the email.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@titianblue: good luck with finding your kitty. Is she microchipped? I’m really sorry its happened.

@Ally: I’m with auggz, the fact that your aunt is LGBT-friendly means she has made a conscious decision to have this attitude, against all the anti-LGBT crap that society throws at her. I can’t see how your life would mean she would become anti-LGBT. I hope you get a quick response.

Nynaeve
Nynaeve

Hi everyone. I have some sad news. Lana, DallasApple, passed away this morning. She contracted the H1N1 virus, then pneumonia, then a bacterial infection and her condition kept deteriorating. Due to some of the medications she developed blood clots in her brain and they think she had several strokes. Her husband made the difficult decision to take her off of the machines this morning and she passed quickly after that.

kittehserf

titianblue, all the hopes for Maisie coming home safely!

My Mamie once got herself locked in a shed for two weeks before the owners caught a glimpse of her and recognised her from the Missing Cat posters. I hope by the time I’m writing this Maisie has come home.

Ally S

@Nynaeve

My condolences to Lana and her loved ones. 🙁 This is really hard to hear. Thank you for telling us, though.

kittehserf

Oh, Nynaeve! Thank you for letting us know. That’s so awful, please pass my condolences to Lana’s husband and family. I only knew her a little, on here, but I liked her a lot.

cloudiah

Nynaeve, I am so very sorry to hear about Lana/DallasApple. I had hoped she would pull through. Please pass along my condolences to her husband, if it seems appropriate.

Ally, all the hugs for you. I hope your aunt responds quickly, and supportively.

leftwingfox

Oh, Nynaeve… I’m so, so sorry. 🙁 My deepest condolences to you, and to all her friends and family.

grumpycatisagirl

Oh, that’s hard to hear about Lana/dallasapple, who contributed quite a bit here. Nynaeve, thank you for telling us how much she enjoyed this space and the people here. Tearing up a bit now . . . she will be missed. She already is.

kittehserf

Grumpycat – she did indeed. Lana was only here a short while but she contributed a lot.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@Nynaeve, really sorry to hear the news. My thoughts are with you and Lana/DallasApple’s husband.

Ally S

She was very sweet and had a great sense of humor. Occasionally there were some arguments with her but overall her presence was cheerful and likable. I’m going to miss her a lot.

gillyrosebee

I don’t think I knew Lana/DallasApple that well, but my condolences go out to her family and to all the commentators here who interacted with her and valued her participation.

moldybrehd

I’m really sorry to hear about DallasApple. She will be missed.

leatapp
leatapp

Nynaeve,
Thank you for sharing that sad news. I only barely knew her, but I thought she was lovely. My condolences.

Nynaeve, thank you for letting us know about Lana. I think we will all miss her. She was a cool person.

sparky
sparky

Nynaeve: Thank you for letting us know about Lana.

I’m going to miss her. She was a nice person.

My heart goes out to her husband and family.

grumpycatisagirl

If possible, I’d also like to know if there are any specific charities that would be appropriate to donate too in Lana’s memory.

weirwoodtreehugger

I’m so sorry to hear about Lana.

At the risk of sounding like I’m trying to make this all about me, this is bringing back memories of my Aunt who died in pretty much the same circumstances about a year ago.

Things like this can happen so suddenly. It’s so sad and scary.

Nynaeve
Nynaeve

Wow, David, thank you. I think Lana would’ve been really touched by that. I’ll pass along your suggestion to her family and let you know what they say.

Thank you all for your condolences. Lana was a passionate, fun-loving person. I’m going to miss her so much.

Myoo
Myoo

Sorry about Lana. My condolences to all her loved ones.

maggiesausage
maggiesausage

Oh god, fuck the flu. Seriously sorry to hear about Lana.

Condolences also to everyone else here who’s recently lost a loved one. Life is damn tough, death is fucking devastating. Love and virtual hugs to all who need them.

opheliamonarch

@Nynaeve, I’ve been thinking about Lana, and doing my version of praying, every day since you posted that she was unwell. I really hoped no news was good news.

It seems like no time at all since we were talking on MBs, Lana made me laugh a lot, I’m going to miss her.

Please pass on my best wishes to Lana’s family if you are happy to do so.

I am so sorry you have to be the one to give us the news, I know how much it hurts to have to be responsible for that duty. Take care of yourself.

opheliamonarch

Apologies to all other Boobzers who might need some kind words. I haven’t caught up with this thread, just saw Lana mentioned on the other thread. If anyone needs them/wants them, please accept these hugs:

kittehserf

Oh the way that lioness runs up for hugs!

Then tries to eat the camera … 😀

How are you, Ophelia?

opheliamonarch

Hey again Kitteh, going between threads/sites is frying my brain. I don’t computer over on Ravelry apparently, and if using the site is beyond me I don’t hold out much hope for my knitting!

Love the pics, kitty lying on two beds, so true. You ain’t seen nothin’ till you’ve seen a 9 stone Rottie curled in a ball on the cold floor while a tiny kitten sleeps in his bed.

Hope you and the mister aren’t too hot in the magical land of Aus. It’s pretty mild here and we’ve avoided the flooding thank goodness (apparently Nottingham is one of the driest counties here, shame about the gun crime though!)

I’m poorly still, sodding bug, can’t seem to shake it. Although Mr M’s probably relieved as I’ve completely lost my voice now. Lots of bits of paper asking for hot water bottles and cups of tea, so perhaps being poorly isn’t all bad.

I was going to spam you with funnies again last night but after I emailed Mr M a soppy note with pictures of Willow and then found I’d accidentally mailed it to David I lost confidence in my emailing skills.

I think this bug messes with my tech abilities, if you can call them that.

So yeah, telling the dark lord – drive safe, I love him, and here’s a a lovely picture of my cat to put on your mobile – not my finest hour.

Although, as I said to David, that email could have been a LOT more embarrassing! Also, there were funny pictures of goats so it wasn’t a total waste of his time. 🙂