off topic open thread

Open Thread for Personal Stuff: February 2014 Edition

catsdriving

An open thread for personal stuff, continuing from here.

As usual for these threads: no trolls, no arguments.

eli

I was just trying to sleep and kind of failing because he used to sleep all schnuggy against me:(

Ally S

eli, glad you like it! It’s Curly Brace from the game Cave Story.

Sam-I-Was?
Sam-I-Was?

Eli, I’m so sorry for your loss. Long distance hug if you are interested. As hard as it is try to remember the good times & know that he knows you loved him until the end.

eli

I really hope you’re ok, Ally, Even through all of this, I’ve been hoping you’re ok. (I’m not gonna read the whole thread)

eli

Thanks Sam-I-Was? I was there at the end and it was very peaceful. Thank you.

eli

Is Cave Story fun and distracting? Do they have it for mac?

eli

The worst part is my 99-year-old father is taking it very badly. He thinks I could have done something more. I’m going to go over there to talk to him tomorrow, but…he’s al..nemvermind

cloudiah

eli, I am so sorry for your loss. I’m glad it was peaceful and you were there. All kinds of hugs if you want ’em.

Ally S

@eli

I find it pretty fun and distracting! It’s a retro-style platformer game in which you explore caves and whatnot (hence the name) – difficult but worth playing IMO. I only have Cave Story on my DSi, but you can download it for Mac as well.

And as for me, things are pretty bad, but at least I’m at my mom’s place now. Now I need to come out to the rest of the family. First I’ll start with one of my aunts.

Ally S

Internet group hug if you want one, eli. I have dealt with the loss of a pet before and it still hurts even after 2 years. I’m sure he loved you just as much as you loved him.

eli

Thank you Ally, kittehs and cloudiah and anyone else. I need to try to go to bed again:(

eli

I’ll check that out ally, thanks

eli

All long distance hugs are awesome:) Thanks everyone.

eli

I wish stuff was better, ally? hugs if you want them.

Viscaria
Viscaria

So sorry, eli.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Sorry to hear the news eli. Could someone else go around and talk to your father about it, I have a feeling that you having a conversation about it with him could be quite upsetting to you (as it would be to me, if I had to do it)?

You sound like you haven’t reached a neutral/positive emotional state over it yet, and I am not surprised as it only happened today. You have the right to grieve your own way, in your own time, without others (unintentionally or not) making the process more difficult for you.

pecunium

Completely OT, but I have been knocking a poem about. I have put it on my blog, but figured I’d toss it out here too.

It happened when I was young,

First was a hanging curve: and a sense of slowing time

Then the bat slicing round to meet the ball with a deep, flat, resonant, THWACK!

The ball leapt away, a sliver of white, all eyes following it to that moment of breathless equipoise

where it hung, for that long and pregnant second, before the arc of rise stopped

before it slid to earth; falling beyond the stadium wall, out of sight

while the circuit of the bases was closed

In the compass of those curves was Summer distilled.

I don’t think it’s quite done, but it’s seems to be out of the draft stage, and into moderately polished.

pecunium

Fuck… it’s got visual elements, which aren’t apparent in the blockquote. I’ll see if it works on it’s own.

It happened when I was young,

First was a hanging curve: and a sense of slowing time

before it slid to earth; falling beyond the stadium wall, out of sight

while the circuit of the bases was closed

In the compass of those curves was Summer distilled.

pecunium

Not quite, but moreso.

Sam-I-Was?
Sam-I-Was?

Uncle passed away peacefully about an hour ago

Myoo
Myoo

My condolences to Eli and Sam-I-was

eli

My condolences Sam-I-Was, but there is still hard stuff for you now, isn’t there?

@Kiwi girl

My parents took my dog in when I had an opportunity to go abroad for an academic year back when he was 4. It was hard to leave him and I missed him terribly and he missed me, but my parents love him as much as I do. It’s all a shared grief and my father is facing his own end-of-life issues as he mourns. His cognition has been deteriorating rapidly in the last few months.

I’ll just dash over for taco dinner and a talk and a tv show with mom and scurry back to my cave. It’s going to take me a long time to get neutral/positive. I downloaded Ally’s game. I think I’ll give it a try. I might not be back for a while.

Tracy

Condolences to eli and Sam-I-Was. I have 7 kitties here all sending head-butts and hugs.

leatapp
leatapp

Sounds like several people are having a rough weekend.
*sad, safe hugs*

Hugs all around.

pecunium

Condolence Sam, and to you eli

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Sorry to hear he’s gone Sam.

Ally S

My condolences, Sam. :{

kittehserf

My condolences, Sam-I-Was.

gillyrosebee

My sympathies and condolences to eli and Sam.

Argenti Aertheri

I’m sorry Sam, and Eli.

Pecunium — I saw that off your WP and was musing the title question. “A First”? (I’ve hit one homerun ever)

emilygoddess

I brought some brain bleach in the form of a ridiculously happy dog:

cloudiah

So sorry about your uncle, Sam-I-Was.

pecunium

Roissey and Roosh have made the bigtime. They were named in a Salon article about ways to improve your game: Mind you they were listed on the List of 18 horrible sex tips all men should ignore but hey, it’s publicity, right?

pecunium

No, because the ambiguity of the narrator is important. Is it someone who hit the ball, someone who was at the game; was it sandlot, or the big leagues. Did it matter? Was it the only one? Is it a pro, looking back, from his present seat on the sidelines?

So the title needs to avoid implying the answer to any of that.

The first sentence might be a problem too. I want the sense of archetype, so “when I was young” might hinder the sense of the universal.

kittehserf

Auggz – seems odd to me to say the spiritual side is racist. It’s like saying you can’t follow a faith from another culture. Sure, if people are doing the “exotic” schtick or some of the more eye-rolling versions of New Age pick-and-mix, that’s questionable, but like you said – how can exercising be racist? Is everyone supposed to be in little cultural boxes?

emilygoddess

Kittehs, the argument is that the “spiritual” dimensions of Yoga tend to be watered down in the West, and people making a profit off something that’s been removed from its religious/cultural context is pretty much the gold standard of cultural appropriation.

BUT. Yoga was introduced and popularized in the West by Indian teachers, making it a practice that was freely shared rather than one that was stolen from a closed culture. So the appropriation argument probably doesn’t fly here, although of course I would defer to actual Desi or Hindu people.

kittehserf

Ah, made up about the original culture, rather than someone following Hinduism or whatever? Sort of like the peculiar Western take on Buddhism?

kittehserf

Ninja’d with eloquence! šŸ˜€

I wonder how much it can be called cultural appropriation if someone’s following a practice that suits them, but not claiming it’s the original? Knowing something’s derived from another culture is different from going all Oooh-exotic-wisdom-of-the-mysterious-East, isn’t it?

I can’t stand that faux-fetishism Buddhism and various cartoonish notions of Asian cultures among some New Agers; it’s what put me off contact with Spiritualists and Reiki practitioners.

kittehserf

That should have been “faux-fetishism of Buddhism”, or maybe fetishism of faux-Buddhism …

emilygoddess

I know a lot of (fairly wealthy, white) people who are into Buddhism, by which I mean the Buddhist-flavored meditation on offer at a million retreats and meditation centers around the Boston area. I don’t think they believe in samsara or reincarnation or the literal Buddha, and they certainly don’t make offerings to him or to any other spirits the way Buddhists across Asia do. They’re treading this blurry line where they’ve borrowed the practice for its personal benefits, and tried to keep some other Buddhist thought with it out of respect for its origins, but it ends up looking watered-down. And of course, it’s for sale…

kittehserf

That’s pretty much what most Buddhism’s like here, too, though plenty of people do seem to have notions of reincarnation (like the dipstick medium who was trying to tell me once that Louis was reincarnated and was standing next to me at the table … make up your bleedin’ mind!).

When I hear someone talking about how an ant gets bad karma for biting a human, I just hope it’s a muddled-up notion. Mind you, it’d get a “nuh-uh” from me whether it’s a confused message or not.

emilygoddess

When I hear someone talking about how an ant gets bad karma for biting a human

Holy anthropocentric worldview, Batman!

emilygoddess

@Auggz, maybe say you do “secular Yoga”? Or maybe tell this person, if they are not Desi or Hindu, that their heart is probably in the right place but they’re not authorized to speak on behalf of the people who are potentially affected by this? Or you could point out, as I did above, that Yoga was freely shared by Indian practitioners.

kittehserf

auggz – jayz, that’s really stupid. “Don’t bend your knees like that, it’s racist!”

emilygoddess – you’re not wrong! I dislike the whole idea of reincarnation anyway, because it is so very anthropocentric (among other reasons), but shit, that was just absurd. Yeah, an animal that really is part of a hivemind getting blamed, essentially, for defending itself against a creature squillions times bigger than it is. If that’s the game, I’m not playing.

hellkell
hellkell

Iā€™m asking because someone called me racist for doing yoga for exercise

This person is a dipshit, and feel free to just look at them and say, “Wow” next time they say something this thoughtless.

kittehserf

auggz, has that person ever done any non-European dance – Latin dance, for instance? You should tell ’em they’re racist if they have.

leftwingfox

Internet hugs for Sam-I-Was and eli. šŸ™

Fibinachi

@My condolences to Sam-i-Was, that really sucks. Jedi hugs and sympathy. I recently lost a family member, so I share the pain.

@auggz:

Iā€™m asking because someone called me racist for doing yoga for exercise, even though I hate the commercialized spiritual part. I just do it for being more flexible.

Yeah, well, so’s kyriarchy theory. You just can’t avoid racism these days, apparently, even with things that aren’t racist. It’s kind of watered down the incredibly complex, impactful issue into some buzzword. Gaaah. Yoga is yoga, it’s not… racist. It’s a series of strength exercises and flexibility improving movements. The only “racist” thing would be, to some degree, the assertion that Indians have some higher magical spiritual power, but even that’s just kind of “ignorant” more than anything else.

Next time you see this person who said, do whatever you normally do, and then add “HAhahaha. Hahaha. Oohhahahahahaha” from Fibi, the guy from the internet.