announcements kitties pledge drive

Pledge Drive: Fluffy Cat Rolling In Money Edition!

catmakeitrain
Making it rain

Welcome to the First Quarter Man Boobz Pledge Drive 2014: Fluffy Cat Rolling In Money Edition!

To repeat my simple pitch from my previous pledge drives: If you enjoy this blog, and can afford it, please click on the “donate” button below and send a few bucks my way. Or, if you’d prefer, a lot of bucks. You don’t need a PayPal account to donate; you can use a credit card, and there are other options as well. If you’re outside the US, PayPal should be able to handle your weird foreign money.

I appreciate any and all contributions. Of course, if you’re broke and can’t swing a contribution now, I understand. Really.

Your donations — and other forms of support –keep this blog going, by keeping me going. (Yes, the money goes to me. And my cats.)

Enormous thanls to everyone who donated during the last pledge drive. (I know I didn’t get back to everyone personally, and I apologize.) Thanks as well to those who’ve donated since the last pledge drive, and extra special thanks to those who’ve made a point of donating on a regular basis.

Man Boobz has now received more than 13 million page views since its inception on Blogger in 2010. Even more impressive: you all have posted close to 400,000 comments. The community that’s grown up around this blog is, as always, amazing to me. I couldn’t do it without you.

Ally S

I’m so sorry, MEZ. :<

pecunium

emilygoddess: Was I “in” staff den, sure, in a manner of speaking. I wasn’t working for staff den, I was supplying it. I was responsible for making sure they (and consuite, and green room, and volunteer lounge) all had the food they needed to work.

As to that guy, if you saw him in previous years I think this was a different guy, but I’d like to talk to you about anything you might have heard because there are “benefit of the doubt” conversations going on about him (not at Arisia, but in other venues).

Tracy

Delurking to give hugs (if wanted) to Cloudiah and MEZ.

And a donation to the fluffy cat whom I assume is David ;).

cloudiah

Sorry about the loss of your mother, MEZ, and a very fond thank you to everyone for your kind thoughts and offers of hugs and fishy nibbles. I’m not reading very much, so I hope everyone is okay.

And donate to David! It’s a good cause! XD

Ally S

cloudiah and MEZ, here’s a cat in a Trader Joe’s bagand a kitty lying on their back. I put a can of tuna next to both of you as well so they’ll stick around. :3

Ally S

More kitty goodness: http://www.ratemykitten.com/

marci

Here’s a contribution to the happy thoughts for those who lost loved ones. Gift wrapped, sort of 🙂

On the standards for job entry in the military and other such male-dominated areas: I just want to know who it was exactly that decided to make the standards different? I mean, were women demanding that they be given a different set of rules or just the opportunity? Maybe in order to protect the fragile egos of men at that time, those in charge decided to “help” those poor less qualified women.

For example, the PT requirement for push-ups is 35 for men and 13 for women. The only way this makes sense is if very comfortable and relatively wealthy women were trying to get into the military. 13 push-ups is frankly insulting and like someone else said, most women through-out time have worked physical jobs. The job standards argument that some men make is so easy to debunk on multiple levels if one just takes off the “white, upper- middle-class, western, comfortable-lifestyle” blinkers they have on.

Again, I realize that at the extreme ends of the spectrum men have more capacity for muscle and bone length. But, and this is a big but, you have to ask yourself if there are ANY jobs that really require more than just an average physical fitness/strength. I think the answer would be no. Yes women who do some jobs will have to be on the more fit end of the spectrum for women, but the idea that women can’t do the same jobs that men do is flat out bullshit. I cannot believe that we still need to keep debunking this crap. Thanks for reading my rant.

marci

Oh no my photo didn’t attach try again…

marci

Here’s an extra one because my first sentence in the other post makes me look like an ass…

kittehserf

Here’s Maddie proving drinking uphill is not a good idea.

Argenti Aertheri

13 push-ups? Really? Only person I know who was never able to work up to move than that probably could’ve but her sensi got pissy about her boobs hitting the floor (like her cup size was somehow under her control?)

No way can I do that now, but I’m sure I could work up to more than that, and that’ she point isn’t it? To, you know, work up to the standard?

marci

My sister can do like more than 100, she demonstrated for me once and that’s as far as I counted before I said “alright I’m impressed, stop now.” She’s in the Army, so yeah. She’s the one that told me about the standards for PT and how all the parameters that they told her were like way easy for her. The thing is, she’s not like an “Amazon” or something. She’s like 5’4 and around 140 pounds. She works out regularly (and friggin smokes) and she’s young (26). I am proud of her, immensely so, but I don’t think that she is extraordinarily unique. The only thing that is unique about her is that growing up she was never told that she had to act a certain way because she’s female.

Kim
Kim

In the Australian army, they have a fitness requirement, but it’s ongoing, not just to join. What you have to do varies based on age and sex. So I suspect it’s less about “you need to be able to do pushups to be a soldier” and more about “pushups are one easily standardised so are one useful measure of fitness”. If you think about it, you can’t expect a 50yr old man to meet the same fitness standards as an 18 year old man. But it is reasonable to expect everyone to have an above average fitness level, for their age and sex.

Kim
Kim

I just looked up the requirements for the ADF. It seems they no longer have different requirements for age. But if you find 13 pushups to be an insult then you’ll side-eye these…

Army
Male requirement: 15 Push-ups, 45 Sit-ups, 7.5 Shuttle run score
Female requirement: 8 Push-ups, 45 Sit-ups, 7.5 Shuttle run score

Navy
Male requirement: 15 Push-ups, 20 Sit-ups (feet held), 6.1 Shuttle run score.
Female requirement: 6 Push-ups, 20 Sit-ups (feet held), 6.1 Shuttle run score.

Airforce
Male requirement: 10 Push-ups, 20 Sit-ups (feet held), 6.5 Shuttle run score
Female requirement: 4 Push-ups, 20 Sit-ups (feet held), 6.5 Shuttle run score

fromafar2013
fromafar2013

Are you kidding me? I used to do 25 push ups and 100 sit ups every night before bed -_- What lame requirements…

Kim
Kim

This seems so much like parody, but I don’t think it is…

The video in particular – he says you can turn a guy into an obsessive stalker, like that is a selling point.

I can’t tell whether it’s a parody of PUAs or a real thing with genders reversed…

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

Pecunium,

Of course there are. But assuming we’re talking about the same guy (the one who disrupted the Carl Brandon party and distributed his manifesto around the con?), yes, I have definitely seen him before. I’d be happy to take this backchannel if you prefer.

Argenti Aertheri

Wait wait wait, 4!?!? to join the AF?

I think swearing got you more push-ups than that at camp! (Christian camp so no swearing and I don’t think you actually had to do all of them, since the point wasn’t torture but a deterant [and, having been staff too, they aren’t angels either])

Four? Like, four is two squared four? Two plus two equals the number of push-ups a woman must do to join the Austrialian AF?

I mean, granted, I’m not sure why the AF would really need to be able to push-ups, but come on now.

Argenti Aertheri

Emilygoddess — manifesto? I think it may be a different That Guy, I might be wrong though, I hope I’m wrong cuz creepy.

pecunium

emilygoddess: We are not talking about the same guy. That was a very diferernt incident. (and I am curious about this, “manifesto”, as this is the first time I have heard of him having such a thing).

Send me information backchannel, if you would.

pecunium

re push-ups: 1: An Army push-up (the other services have different standards; only the Army and the Marine Corps have push-ups as a requirement). is a harder standard than most people think (a significant number of men fail their initial PT test at basic, in part because they just can’t manage to maintain the form required).

2: The test is timed, and there is a moderate amount of stress. I was always worried I would fail pushups. The only time I didn’t “pass” was my initial test as basic (for my age the minimum was 28, I only had 27 acceptable push-ups, though I did have one rejected for a small failure of form (I didn’t come to a locked position after assuming the rest position).

3: The normig for women is problematic. From my experience (16 years, and a wide slice of the Army, with an aveerage of taking part in some capacity in 4 PT tests a year) men tended to be fairly well represented on the curve.

A number of men would fail the test, and a similar number would max it. The rest were fairly evenly distributed on the scale (I tended to score in the middle 70s (out of one hundred points; which is to say I was ablt to do between 50-60 pushups in two minutes.

Women, in my experience teneded to score at the low end of the scale (60 points is passing), about 55-65 points, or up in the 90. I tabulated a fair number of PT tests and the lack of a smooth curve for women, while one was present for men is problematic.

What it said to me is the test isn’t fair; but the unfairness is not where it seems to be. Women’s ability to passively keep muscle mass in the upper body makes it harder for routine PT to keep them in shape to meet much more than the minimum, while the diffrence in CG makes it easier for them to go gnagbusters once they have the muscles.

The basic ability is there, and the Army hasn’t figured out decent training regimens (those being based on men’s physique, in part because men make up the vast majority of the Army, have always made up the vast majority of the army, and are the default phsyiognomy in question), to give the women in the army what they need.

It also look is if (if/when the Army manages to adjust training), the straight line scoring (each push up beyond minimum passing = x points on the grading scale) isn’t as accurate for women as it is for men. I don’t know how to correct that, without it looking as if the army is trying to exclude women with that as the tool.

Kim: PT standards are ongoing for the US Army too. They are taken every 6 months. There is an age adjusted scale for push-ups, sit-ups, and a 2-mile run. The events are always in that order. The first two are each a timed event of 2-minutes, and the other is, of course a timed run of two-miles. One gets not less ten minutes, nor more than twenty, between each event.

As a rule I was able to do about 50 push-ups, 65 sit ups, and the 2 miles in about 13 minutes. My personal bests were 57, 72, and 10:54 (though I think that one was mistaken, which makes my personal best 11:31).

The forms required are exact. Push-ups are done with the arms at a comfortable disatance, feet no more than 12 inches apart, body in a, generally straight line. From that position, with elbows locked, the partipant lowers the body; as a unit, until the line from elbow-elbow; across the back, is parallel to the ground, then the body is lifted; as a unit, until the elbows are again locked.

That counts as one repitions. Any push-up in which the body is not lowered as a unit, the plane of the arms does not become parallel to the ground, or the elbows are not locked, does not count.

A modified position is allowed for resting, with the hips arched in the air; and forward of the knees, or the body sagging at the waist (without any portion resting on the ground). Prior to recommencing the excercise the participant must come to a fully locked start position.

If either foot, or both hands are removed from the ground, or the feet are spread more than 12 inches apart, or the hips are moved behind the knees, or any part of the body is rested on the ground, the event is terminated, and no more repetitions will be counted.

There are similar rules (though less extensive) for the sit-ups.

I will say one of the things I saw most was a failure to get to the “upright, locked, position”. A lot of the people who knocked out more 90, or so, were “bouncing”, they’d get near the top, and then relax again.

And people like me (long arms) just had a harder time of it, because it was a greater distance to get to the fully-locked position.

pecunium

Sorry, to clarify: I know about the incident at the Carl Brandon party (and I know how it was resolved, and some details about what happened, etc.). This is the first I have heard of any sort of manifesto by that person.

opheliamonarch

MEZ, I’m so sorry, a washtub Capybara for you:

opheliamonarch

Cloudiah, that is awful, more furries for you:

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

@Pecunium, is there contact info on your blog? I’m not comfortable posting my e-mail address where the Harassment Brigade can see it.

pecunium

Have you commented before? if not it will be screened. If you have an Lj you can send me a private message there (my handle at Lj will find me).

pecunium

Dave, feel free to pass mine on to emilygoddess.

marci

Interesting stuff Pecunium, thanks. So I have to clarify when my sister did push-ups to show off, I am sure that she didn’t use proper form…but was just showing off. I hope that nobody was mislead by my comment.

titianblue
titianblue

It’s payday so have made a donation. The amazing Maisie is shocked that anyone wouldn’t spend all their money on their kittie masters …

pecunium

marci: S’ok. One of the things is that proper form is HARD. Doing daily PT we do lots of push-ups (in Basic I could do 77, without stopping), but 1: we can be sloppy, 2: it’s not timed.

Combining those two means that my PT test out of Basic I did 47 push-ups (which met Army Standard, and beat the Basic Training Standard, which is 50 points, not 60; because 1: Basic is hard on the body, and one needs to be rested to do one’s best on a PT test, and 2: one has to take two more PT Tests to get out of Advanced Individual Training and actually make it into The Real Army).

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

@Pecunium LJ message sent

kittehserf

Push-ups. I used to be able to do those.

Me too, I think. It was a very long time ago.

Ally S

I have never been able to do a push-up because my upper-body strength has always been super weak. X_X

kittehserf

It was probably a push-up when I had to do ’em at school! Never done one since. I hate workout stuff.

Ally S

Several months ago I was doing a decent amount of strength training, and I even got some noticeable biceps for once. But I had to tone it down after a while because it made me feel dysphoric (cause, you know, strength training is a “guy thing”). I’ll probably become more comfortable with strength training once I’ve started to transition.

opheliamonarch

Aww, Titianblue, lovely kitty, Maisie looks like my Izzy before her ears fell off. 🙂

Yup, proper push-ups are tough. I can do them (just) but when Mr M is there, oh Lord, the pain. It’s all ‘hips down’, ‘legs straight’, ‘lower yourself to a proper angle’. And don’t even talk to me about the push-up side plank and proper form. Yeah, Mr M, when it comes to fitness, is a stickler.

On the plus side he is not the type of idiot who minds his wife having muscles, in fact he encourages it (the git!). I was talking to him about this and he says the types of guys who don’t want their partners to work out are just worried they’ll look less muscular next to her, and we all know these types of guys need to be oh so ‘alpha’.

(Bloody iOS 7 keeps changing ‘there’ to ‘their’ or ‘they’re’, same with ‘where’, ‘were’, ‘we’re. Really Boobzers, I do know the difference, but this bloody sodding update is still messing with me!)

kittehserf

He’s secretly one of those sadistic phys. ed. types, isn’t he? ::squints suspiciously at Mr M::

opheliamonarch

🙂 He says he’d prefer to be seen as more of a masochist than a sadist when it comes to exercise, and as he goes to the gym six days a week I’m inclined to agree with him.

kittehserf

He could be an exercise sado-masochist … 😛

Hey, I finished my cable cardie yesterday! Now I’ve just got to wait for some decent weather so I can wear it. Fucknfucknfucknrottenfuckn summer.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

oooo have you put a photo of it on Ravelry? I’ve just put a bunch of photos of knitting and crochet projects up, including my Starsky and Hutch cardie. Mr Kiwi had me face into the sun when taking photos, didn’t think to take out sunnies, so squinting badly. 🙁

kittehserf

Kiwi Girl – not yet! Well, not unless you count the one where I’d done a few rows and Fribs was sitting on them. If it’s cool enough tomorrow morning I might wear it. We’re having another bloody week of high 30s temps, but tomorrow’s supposed to be in the mid 20s. I’d have expired if I’d worn it long enough for a pic last night. 😀

kittehserf

Ermagerd, Kiwi Girl, I’m just looking at your projects on Ravelry and my eyes are like this 😯 with the awesome!

I love the idea of an overskirt, I’ve never thought of that.

opheliamonarch

Yay Kitteh! Me wants pictures! 🙂 I feel like such a failure at knitting, I just seem to get distracted. I used to be quite good at knitting and crochet but now I’m just so lazy, and mostly can’t remember how.

@kiwi girl, are you under the same name on Ravelry, if you don’t mind me asking? (If you do, just ignore me.)
And just in case you missed it (I posted it on a thread with a troll so I’m sure it would have been lost in all his moaning):

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

Thanks, my favourite is the Starsky and Hutch cardie, which I have wanted since the show originally ran in the 1970s, so only a 35-year wait. 🙂 Fair Isle/intarsia is not my favourite knitting technique.

Kiwi girl
Kiwi girl

@ophelia, I’m kiwi-pally on Ravelry.

kittehserf

Ophelia, you’re not a failure at knitting! Geez, it’s not like you haven’t a few other things to deal with. ::wags finger at Ophelia::

I saw that throne! Love the way the sun looks like it’s asleep. Perfect throne for a kitteh.

Ally S

Ally, could you strength train your legs? Women with thick leg muscles always look nice, IMO. Leg muscles seem to look equal in gender.

I usually don’t do strength training specifically for my legs, but I do like running and jogging. I’ll try to start doing that again because it has a positive impact on my stamina, leads to reduced stress (of which I currently have way more than I need), and is proven to be effective for weight loss. (Weight loss is important to me mainly because my entire body makes me feel dysphoric and reducing my body fat will help get rid of some of my dysphoria.)

opheliamonarch

@Kiwi girl, wow, I LOVE the poncho. Also liked the fingerless gloves, they are the one thing I do a lot of. Although I tend to prefer wearing fingerless mittens as they’re more comfy and happen to be a lot easier for slackers like me to knit.

@Kitteh, 🙂 (I know, I know, just can’t stop smiling!). Hope the heat is at least not as bad as it was, sending cooling vibes your way. Love to Louis x

@Ally, healthy weight loss is really important though. Have you tried some of the intensive core type exercises? I’ve been doing a lot of the core strengthening stuff and Pilates. Even though you do get muscly, you also get a very narrow waist, it’s the same for Mr M. (Although, we’re both a bit out of shape at the moment.)

I’m not an expert but Mr M was telling me why he does heavy or light weights. (I think I’m remembering this right.) To lose weight/tone up he does many repeats with lighter weights. To build larger muscle he uses weights that are heavier. Apparently you lift heavy weights to the limit of your ability (without injuring yourself) for fewer reps.

So if you run and/or work with smaller weights and do lots of core work, that should just result in a very toned and wiry physique. The great thing is, you can eat like a horse, I know I do now.

kittehserf

Does picking up a 5kg cat count for weight exercise?