antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? evil women false accusations men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed men playing the victim rape culture reddit slacktivism

Men's Rights Redditors flood Occidental College's online rape reporting form with false accusations

Last night, a regular commenter in the Men’s Rights subreddit — inspired by a thread on 4chan — posted a link to an online form on r/mensrights under the headline “Feminists at Occidental College created an online form to anonymously report rape/sexual assault. You just fill out a form and the person is called into the office on a rape charge. The “victim” never has to prove anything or reveal their identity.”

This headline is not only inflammatory but untrue: Yes, Occidental College has an online form that allows victims of or witnesses to sexual assault to report the incidents to the school. But, as a statement at the top of the form makes clear, the point is to collect data on how much sexual violence there is at the school, who the victims are, and so on.

If the person reporting the crime names the alleged perpetrator,

a member of the Dean of Students Office will meet with that person to share that the person was named in an anonymous report, review the Sexual Misconduct Policy, and inform the person that if the allegations are true, the behavior needs to cease immediately. Information shared in this form alone will not result in anyone going through the grievance process.

I’ve put the last bit in bold to emphasize a point: No one will be charged with anything based only on information gathered using this form. As would be clear to anyone who thought about the matter for more than a few seconds, it’s rather difficult to investigate, much less prove, a rape if you don’t actually know who the victim is.

Somehow this rather elementary fact eluded the OP, and virtually all of those who left the hundreds of comments on the popular post.

Indeed, a host of Men’s Rights Redditors were so convinced of the innate evil of the online form they all had the same bright idea: let’s flood the school with false reports of rape and break the form. Here are some of their comments. (There are more in the thread.) Note the number of upvotes each of these suggestions got. (Click the images to see the comments in context on Reddit.)

SirSkeptic 167 points 15 hours ago (209|45)  That's awesome.  I'd like to see one sent with the name of every member of the Dean of Students Office as the offender. Hey, it's anonymous and no evidence is required.  Sometimes that's the only way fanatics learn.

blueoak9 83 points 15 hours ago (129|46)  The quickest way to shut this one down is to anonymously report random women and let them sweat in the hot seat. This will be over before it begins.  How are they any less expendable, and more to the point, above suspicion that the men?  And if the school treats them any differently, there's your Title 1X complaint.

WhiteThrone 15 points 12 hours ago (24|9)  Step one: Get a list of every 'Feminist' at Occidental College who supported this system.  Step two: Anonymously report them for rape.  Step three: Watch them squirm as their lives are hanging in the balance over a false rape charge.  Step four : Shutdown the BS online form.

Jonathan_Taylor 26 points 11 hours ago (30|4)  I'd just like to say that I don't condone using the form to make false accusations against officials. Flooding the forms with other ridiculous things as a means to demonstrate how ridiculous the form is, on the other hand...

While a few commenters stood up to point out that in fact the school will not charge anyone with anything as a result of anonymous information gathered by the form, they were outnumbered by  Men’s Rightsers gleefully reporting that they in fact had reported false information. Among them:

froggymorning 46 points 15 hours ago (59|13)  I've already filled one out.      permalink     source     parent     save     give gold     hide child comments  [–]Muffinizer1 6 points 7 hours ago (9|4)  Was kind of fun. I swear to god though, if they track us down it would be terribly ironic, however it's mildly likely.

Your_Bacon_Counselor 5 points 6 hours ago (6|1)  Looks like there is an epidemic at Occidental, particularly female-on-female assault.  Even though most of these will be scrubbed, I promise the numbers will be kept and used to justify programs.

unexpecteditem 6 points 9 hours ago (11|5)  I like this. Where can I fill it in. I've been raped all over the place. Let's get submitting boys? Has anyone been raped by the dean of women's studies? Surely somebody. I find her a bit creepy.  I've also been raped by the president of the US. And of course by everyone I don't like. Heck, why don't I just go down the phone book. I've been raped by everybody. There. That ought to do it. Nothing like a practical demonstration of the absurdity of an idea.

gonecatfishin 8 points 11 hours ago (9|1)  Filling this out is fun!

It’s one thing to criticize an anonymous reporting system because of its potential for abuse; this is something else entirely.

The post has been up for 17 hours at this point, with more than 700 net upvotes, and some of the calls for “breaking” the form have been up for nearly as long. The moderators of Men’s Rights have done nothing to stop their subreddit being used to interfere with a school’s attempt to assist rape survivors — including men.

“Breaking” a school’s rape reporting mechanism is apparently a form of Men’s Rights activism.

kittehserf

How does this help men?

If they’re not rapists, it doesn’t. But then helping rapists is the MRM’s raison d’etre.

Ally S

These assclowns can step on all the Legos.

And right around the corner is a nice metal fridge that they can all stub their pinkie toes on.

kittehserf

And when they stumble after that, they’ll bang their hip-bones on that sharp corner of the kitchen bench, and the towel rail that sticks out will catch their pockets and rip them.

When they hobble into the lounge, they’ll find out the hard way (via their shins) that someone moved the coffee table.

Ally S

They finally find some nice couches to sit on – only to hit their funny bones on the arm rests.

*witch cackling and thunder*

hellkell
hellkell

The couches all have one bum leg, so when they finally sit, a corner of it collapses.

kittehserf

Plus a random dog or cat has just been in and puked on the couch. They don’t find out till they’ve sat in it.

dlouwe
dlouwe

@LBT

I love it when I see something that’s even more perfect than the most perfect thing I could have imagined. That’s wonderful.

serrana
serrana

And when they fall on the floor, they land on cat puke.

serrana
serrana

Ninja’d!

kittehserf

Then they’re told the couch can’t be repaired and they have to buy a new one, and when they put their puke-stained jeans in the wash, they forget to take a tissue out of the pocket.

kittehserf

Oh, and the fridge they banged their toes on? It breaks down and all their food rots.

dlouwe
dlouwe

Maybe we can put our heads together and devise a method to cause MRAs to randomly lose their proprioception at inconvenient, but not overly harmful moments. Essentially a clumsiness curse.

serrana
serrana

Then the tissue clogs up the washing machine and they have to take it apart. While they have it apart on the garage floor, their housemate drives in the garage and runs over the parts.

Marie
Marie

@melody

They whine about false reporting and then gleefully falsely report……

I know. The irony, it hurts :/

@argenti

Is anyone else tempted to use the form to report reddit for spamming the form with BS? I’m assuming it has a general “other comments” box where a link to this shit could go, along with words of encouragement. Or is that sinking to their level?

I don’t know if it’s sinking to their level, but it’s missing the same amount of hypocrisy, since mra’s frequently whine about false rape accusations. On the other hand, whoever’s got to go through them (assuming it’s not a computer) probably has enough shit to wade through, so spamming more probably wouldn’t help.

@la strega

I’m struck by how often MRA comments begin with something like, “First, let’s get a list of all the feminists…” Where is this list? How do you compile one? This is the kind of resolution that “sounds” action-oriented, but is safely within the realm of unactionable fantasy.

It’s okay! all they have to do is find one feminist to turn, and she’ll* reveal the rest of us, what with the feminist hivemind connecting us and all 😛

*all feminists are women. Men are only feminists to get laid, and non-binary people don’t exist. /sarcasm.

Ally S

I think people need to make a Halloween amusement park attraction for MRAs only called The Feminist House of Horror. Free admission for Paul Elam, GirlWritesWhat, Warren Farrell, Roosh V, Camile Paglia, Christina Hoff Sommers, and The Amazing Atheist.

AK
AK

I love that this is what counts as activism in the MRM. Never change, MRAs.*

*by “never change” I mean JESUS CHRIST STOP BEING SUCH AWFUL HUMAN BEINGS IMMEDIATELY

b) Potential submissions might be discouraged by the fact that the alleged perp will be made aware of the reporting. Which, if this college is anything like the one I went to, there’s the potential for everybody knowing everybody and the alleged perp being able to guess who reported it. Which, could spell some not so great backlash for the person who made the report to begin with.

I believe that victims have the option of naming the perpetrator, but it is not required so if they’re worried about that they can always fill out everything else but leave off the name of their attacker.

Ally S

Watch out for randomly placed refrigerators in the dark and trapdoors that lead to Lego pits!

cloudiah

I’m glad you covered this, David. I was going to email you but I feel like I’m constantly spamming you with “You should write about this” messages and you’re just too nice to say, “Um, cloudiah, you have your own blog you know.” 🙂

What’s this? MRAs being complete douchebags about gender-nonspecific rape? WHAT A SHOCK. Truly, I believed my brothers would be above such behavior that might allow male rape survivors to report! SHOCKED. SHOCKED.

Yeah, they’re all up in arms over the fact the Gender of Perpetrator section is free-text. It’s rank misandry to not have a set 2 choices in a drop-down menu.

That’s too nice. I think the curse should say, “they forget to take their baggie of pot* and all their paper money out of the pockets.”

*Perhaps even enough pot to trade for a tiger.

Ally S

I emailed David about this earlier today. So I basically ninja’d you outside of Man Boobz! =O

cloudiah

Someone already did.

kittehserf

*Perhaps even enough pot to trade for a tiger.

All of the above! Plus as serrana noted, the tissue clogs the machine (as well as scattering bits over everything in it) and when they take it apart, their housemate runs over the parts.

Oh, and because it’s such an old model, they can’t get replacement parts. It’s also an odd size, and all the available models are too big for the space, so they have to sit taking up the whole floor, or really small, so they have to do twice the number of loads they used to.

kittehserf

So I basically ninja’d you outside of Man Boobz! =O

Meta-ninja! 😯

Alice Sanguinaria

MRA: male rapists association — for rapists.

If we’re not helping you get away with your rape today, we’re doing a bad job!

[/sarcasm]

cloudiah

David, you have opened the floodgates! (Just kidding.)

Also, the r/mr mods have doubled down.

cloudiah

(By doubled down I just mean they’re not deleting the post or the calls to make false rape accusations. They are semi-critical of the off-site brigading, though.)

DeutschundMusik
DeutschundMusik

The mensrights subreddit has been out of control for a long time.

First the mods decided to go ahead and let posts to doxxing sites be posted, ignoring the obvious corollary that they were implicitly inviting stalking and harassment of the people doxxed,

Then when the admins shut that down, they continued to look for people and things to destroy. The whole schtick is to knock women down and keep them down. There’s nothing positive going on.

The mods are masters at sounding confused and looking the other way when MRAs defame, plot, and destroy people’s lives. They continue to let a voice for men run riot through their sub, stickying their programs, putting them in the sidebar, and letting them link any hate post they choose. The sub is full of avfm sockpuppets. Avfm is a viciously misogynistic site that they should keep out of the subreddit altogether.

The Admins should shut the damn site down, and soon, because it’s getting more dangerous by the day.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Cloudiah, that mod post is hilarious.

“Don’t knee jerk like the feminists do. Do you want to be seen like Big Red?”

Look at those cuties, pretending like their whole “movement” isn’t based off of jerking their knees and thinking everybody else doesn’t think of them as being way worse than ‘Big Red’.

Alice Sanguinaria

DeutschundMusik – That’s never going to happen, though. Reddit has this thing about “free speech, no matter how hateful or terrible it is!”, and would never shut r/mensrights down. Remember how long it took to get r/jailbait down, and what it took to do it? And don’t forget, we still have subreddits such as r/beatingwomen *shudder*, and other hate reddits.

If anything, they’d probably whine about “FEMINAZI CENSORSHIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!11!” if we dared to do that.

kittehserf

It’s their knees they’re jerking?

DeutschundMusik
DeutschundMusik

The only mod around has removed the post, with the unsupported speculation that it was all troll doings. No evidence of that, and too little too late. No suggestion as to how to make right what the sub has done to Occidental College. Damage, and move on.

Ally S

I like how the mod used “Big Red”, a feminist woman who was rude and possibly insensitive towards some MRAs, as an example of someone who MRAs shouldn’t emulate. As if the worst MRAs are only as reprehensible as “Big Red” and none of the worst MRAs are raging misogynists who condone or support patriarchal violence.

Ally S

GUYS LET’S NOT DISCREDIT OUR MOVEMENT PLEASE DON’T DO IT!!

Oh, you said that this will negatively impact victims seeking to report to school authorities? Who cares? Ideological warfare is more important than compassion for victims.

I’m digging all the wishes for things to happen to these guys. I hope that while they’re sitting around with no pants on waiting for their pants to get out of the washer, their cat comes and sits on their lap, and then is suddenly freaked out by a loud noise.

DeutschundMusik
DeutschundMusik

@ Alice S., I don’t know if it will happen (that the sun will be shut down), but it’s interesting. Looking at Title IX of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, “The law applies to every aspect of the program, such as admissions, recruitment, academics, employment, athletics, and student services. .. The U.S. Supreme Court held in Davis v. Monroe County Board of Education, 526 U.S. 629 (1999), that Title IX requires schools to be responsible for addressing and remedying student-to-student harassment.” http://www.aauw.org/resource/title-ix-of-the-education-amendments-of-1972/

Occidental may have women who were targeted as women for defamation by having false claims filed in their names. The info was passed to the subreddit by a male Occidental student, apparently. That would be student-on-student harassment, seems to me, and that means any woman student so targeted could file a complaint with the feds. And that would bring the feds into looking at the sub and how those false reports were filed and who incited it. I don’t think the Reddit Admins would much appreciate a federal investigation.

If Occidental does nothing here to protect its woman students, the college could find itself defending a woman student’s complaint, also. Seems like filing a false claim of a felony in order to defame a woman student would require disciplinary action against the student who started all this.

But that’s just me.

DeutschundMusik
DeutschundMusik

In my last comment I I said something stupid about the sun. I meant the Subreddit!

kittehserf

Especially if their cat farts like Mamie used to. I had to put my clothes in the wash after she’d, ah, squirt. So, they can have cat claws puncturing their bare legs, and have a top that’s unwearable because of Death Fart, and no washing machine to clean it.

Win.

LBT
LBT

RE: dlouwe

That’s wonderful.

My work here is done. Pantsless Avenger, AWAAAAY! *flies off, carried upon a gust of nether wind*

RE: Kittehs

Oh dear god no. Have you heard about the infamous Katrina fridges? I wouldn’t wish one of those on HITLER. (Click the link. It’s one of those things that defies comprehension if you weren’t there.)

RE: cloudiah

What a trivial thing to whine over.

serrana
serrana

In my last comment I I said something stupid about the sun

I don’t know why I find this deliriously funny, but I do. It’s been that kind of a day. I’m sure the sun accepts your apology. The sun does not hold grudges.

But, to respond to your actual comment, I’m thinking it would be great if Occidental could find out who passed the info on to Reddit (or 4chan, as I think that’s where it was originally reported) and call them in for a disciplinary hearing.

Ms Getta Lode
Ms Getta Lode

An MRA mod removed the post. You know, after it had been up for almost a full day & all the MR regulars could have their fun with it, along with several meta subs linking to the post to ensure it wouldn’t die. Convenient.

Bina
Bina

Fuckin’ MRAs. May they not only step on all the Legos, but slip on them on a hardwood floor, end up with scratches in the woodwork needing thousands of dollars in repairs, AND land on their knees, on top of more Legos.

Really, that would be the most fitting karma for them.

itsabeast
itsabeast

And you say MRA’s don’t do anything. Really though, fuck those guys.

chibell1
chibell1

It’s quite said what the MRA subreddit has become. I wish they would focus on real issues men face like helping male victims of rape and domestic abuse, homeless veterans, and child custody court bias. Instead they choose to apply most of their attention and ” activism” towards vilifying feminism and women in general. Is there a place where men can seek support and advice for some of the real issues they face?

kittehserf

Yes, there are such places.

tessietura

apparently i am evidence of misandry for supporting the idea of the form. those guys are a bunch of whackjobs. can’t wait for their sub to get nuked and the ringleaders of this shit banned. the drama will rise above us like a golden halo.

Argenti Aertheri

chibell1 — I’ve been compiling such resources (in general, not just men’s ones) for the Borg, what’d you need, I’ll grab whatever I have for links.

serrana
serrana

chibell1, there are some resources listed on the sidebar here (just above the scented candle.)

LBT
LBT

Honestly, when I wanted to talk about those things, I talked with friends. I don’t have much interest in reaching out; it requires just too much education and 101ing.

Mass Hysteria (@masshysteriaco)

Never has the “I don’t want to live on this planet anymore” meme been more appropriate. Fucking hell.

rhetorikat
rhetorikat

As if Occidental didn’t have enough problems with their anon. form and sexual assault reporting already.

But I’m sure that if the repeat rapist had been removed from campus it would be misandry for miles. *sigh*