antifeminism are these guys 12 years old? evil women false accusations men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA oppressed men playing the victim rape culture reddit slacktivism

Men's Rights Redditors flood Occidental College's online rape reporting form with false accusations

Last night, a regular commenter in the Men’s Rights subreddit — inspired by a thread on 4chan — posted a link to an online form on r/mensrights under the headline “Feminists at Occidental College created an online form to anonymously report rape/sexual assault. You just fill out a form and the person is called into the office on a rape charge. The “victim” never has to prove anything or reveal their identity.”

This headline is not only inflammatory but untrue: Yes, Occidental College has an online form that allows victims of or witnesses to sexual assault to report the incidents to the school. But, as a statement at the top of the form makes clear, the point is to collect data on how much sexual violence there is at the school, who the victims are, and so on.

If the person reporting the crime names the alleged perpetrator,

a member of the Dean of Students Office will meet with that person to share that the person was named in an anonymous report, review the Sexual Misconduct Policy, and inform the person that if the allegations are true, the behavior needs to cease immediately. Information shared in this form alone will not result in anyone going through the grievance process.

I’ve put the last bit in bold to emphasize a point: No one will be charged with anything based only on information gathered using this form. As would be clear to anyone who thought about the matter for more than a few seconds, it’s rather difficult to investigate, much less prove, a rape if you don’t actually know who the victim is.

Somehow this rather elementary fact eluded the OP, and virtually all of those who left the hundreds of comments on the popular post.

Indeed, a host of Men’s Rights Redditors were so convinced of the innate evil of the online form they all had the same bright idea: let’s flood the school with false reports of rape and break the form. Here are some of their comments. (There are more in the thread.) Note the number of upvotes each of these suggestions got. (Click the images to see the comments in context on Reddit.)

SirSkeptic 167 points 15 hours ago (209|45)  That's awesome.  I'd like to see one sent with the name of every member of the Dean of Students Office as the offender. Hey, it's anonymous and no evidence is required.  Sometimes that's the only way fanatics learn.

blueoak9 83 points 15 hours ago (129|46)  The quickest way to shut this one down is to anonymously report random women and let them sweat in the hot seat. This will be over before it begins.  How are they any less expendable, and more to the point, above suspicion that the men?  And if the school treats them any differently, there's your Title 1X complaint.

WhiteThrone 15 points 12 hours ago (24|9)  Step one: Get a list of every 'Feminist' at Occidental College who supported this system.  Step two: Anonymously report them for rape.  Step three: Watch them squirm as their lives are hanging in the balance over a false rape charge.  Step four : Shutdown the BS online form.

Jonathan_Taylor 26 points 11 hours ago (30|4)  I'd just like to say that I don't condone using the form to make false accusations against officials. Flooding the forms with other ridiculous things as a means to demonstrate how ridiculous the form is, on the other hand...

While a few commenters stood up to point out that in fact the school will not charge anyone with anything as a result of anonymous information gathered by the form, they were outnumbered by  Men’s Rightsers gleefully reporting that they in fact had reported false information. Among them:

froggymorning 46 points 15 hours ago (59|13)  I've already filled one out.      permalink     source     parent     save     give gold     hide child comments  [–]Muffinizer1 6 points 7 hours ago (9|4)  Was kind of fun. I swear to god though, if they track us down it would be terribly ironic, however it's mildly likely.

Your_Bacon_Counselor 5 points 6 hours ago (6|1)  Looks like there is an epidemic at Occidental, particularly female-on-female assault.  Even though most of these will be scrubbed, I promise the numbers will be kept and used to justify programs.

unexpecteditem 6 points 9 hours ago (11|5)  I like this. Where can I fill it in. I've been raped all over the place. Let's get submitting boys? Has anyone been raped by the dean of women's studies? Surely somebody. I find her a bit creepy.  I've also been raped by the president of the US. And of course by everyone I don't like. Heck, why don't I just go down the phone book. I've been raped by everybody. There. That ought to do it. Nothing like a practical demonstration of the absurdity of an idea.

gonecatfishin 8 points 11 hours ago (9|1)  Filling this out is fun!

It’s one thing to criticize an anonymous reporting system because of its potential for abuse; this is something else entirely.

The post has been up for 17 hours at this point, with more than 700 net upvotes, and some of the calls for “breaking” the form have been up for nearly as long. The moderators of Men’s Rights have done nothing to stop their subreddit being used to interfere with a school’s attempt to assist rape survivors — including men.

“Breaking” a school’s rape reporting mechanism is apparently a form of Men’s Rights activism.

greydawnbreaking
greydawnbreaking

I don’t even know what to say. Every time I think their behavior can’t get any more appalling, they surprise me.

Dalet

I wonder if it would help to e-mail the school with a link to this thread, just so they’re aware of what’s happening?

Bina
Bina

Looks like I’m gonna have to add several “gates” to my “Descent of I-MAN-na” narrative. To become an MRAsshat, one must also leave behind basic reading comprehension, all ethics, and one’s senses. Among other things…

Gloria Carr

What’s the school’s reaction so far, anyone know? Pretty shitty, but that’s the MRA movement.

melody
melody

They whine about false reporting and then gleefully falsely report…….

MordsithJ
MordsithJ

Reading comprehension is MISANDRY.

CassandraSays

The Men’s Rape Advocacy movement at work.

Robert Ramirez

You know…a lot of what these guys are advocating is bordering on the criminal. From AVFM advocating marital rape to these guys on reddit conspiring to falsely accuse people for rape is sort of criminal.

They whine about false reporting and then gleefully falsely report…….

Yeah, I guess “false rape accusations” are no longer the absolute worst transgression in the world.

kleptonetic
kleptonetic

This isn’t criticism for the potential for abuse, it’s abusing it out of spite.

And it’s not even the only or most legitimate criticism to be made. I tend to think it’s faulty also because:

a) People don’t always know what rape actually is, thanks to the rape culture eliding the meaning of consent so this will by no means paint a truely accurate picture of the sexual assault problem on campus
b) Potential submissions might be discouraged by the fact that the alleged perp will be made aware of the reporting. Which, if this college is anything like the one I went to, there’s the potential for everybody knowing everybody and the alleged perp being able to guess who reported it. Which, could spell some not so great backlash for the person who made the report to begin with

Caroline Not-So-Sweet
Caroline Not-So-Sweet

Sometimes I think that the reason why a lot of MRA/PUAs get their tighty whiteys into a was about false rape accusations is because a lot of them secretly wish they could rape and get away with it. Normally I wouldn’t mention ROK, but I think this gem of a post explains how a lot of misogynists view rape:
Guys, if you don’t want to be falsely accused, then don’t rape! Treat women you’ve banged with a modicum of respect afterwards! Don’t take advantage of drunk or high women! At least pretend like the women you’re dating and be nice to them! The horror! The horror!

Argenti Aertheri

This is…wow.

Is anyone else tempted to use the form to report reddit for spamming the form with BS? I’m assuming it has a general “other comments” box where a link to this shit could go, along with words of encouragement. Or is that sinking to their level?

LBT
LBT

What’s this? MRAs being complete douchebags about gender-nonspecific rape? WHAT A SHOCK. Truly, I believed my brothers would be above such behavior that might allow male rape survivors to report! SHOCKED. SHOCKED.

(This also reminds me of a story a friend told me about how, while she was at school, they opened up a campus abuse hotline. The first caller? A male cop being abused by his wife.)

CassandraSays

…Secretly? If they’re trying to be secretive about how angry they are that rape is illegal they’re not doing a very good job of it.

Emmy
Emmy

They are getting angry over the fact that a university is taking steps, that it is legally encouraged to do, to tackle the very real epidemic of sexual violence. This isn’t like the “Don’t Be That Guy” campaign that did present men as the aggressors, this is a completely neutral and extremely toothless piece of policy that does literally nothing other than give the university a very sparse insight into the sexual violence occurring on campus. There is nothing to suggest this is a man vs woman thing unless you personally think that rape is a man vs woman issue.

This is so transparent, this is so blatantly pro-rape. Oh my god, how do none of them see this is an evil thing to do? It’s such a bizarre, illogical, mindlessly destructive thing to do.

Bina
Bina

You know…a lot of what these guys are advocating is bordering on the criminal.

I’d say it crosses the line, in many cases. And certainly takes advantage of every loophole that shouldn’t be there…

tinyorc

So telling that despite the fact the form is entirely gender-neutral, it did not occur to a single one of these commenters that the male survivors they purportedly care about so very much can also use this as a tool to report sexual assault. But no, all they can think about is the eeeeeeeeeeeevil feeeeeeeeeeeemales and the epidemic of false accusations that’s apparently sweeping the globe.

Argenti Aertheri

The “best” part of that RoK post? Dying in prison from a false rape claim. Because so many rapists get life sentences! Fuck, Manson, fucking Manson, gets parole hearings (isn’t going to happen, but in theory could) — nobody, fucking nobody, accused of a single rape with no evidence besides her accusation is going to get a life sentence. Not in the US, which is where he’s talking about, and it’s at least as unlikely in the EU, or any of the former/current UK terrorities (am I correct that some of those countries don’t have life sentences at all?)

often_partisan
often_partisan

This post is basically the problem with MRAs in a nutshell. Even if we assumed for the sake of argument that they have legitimate points, the way they attempt to deal with things they see as problematic is always offensive, likely to do more harm than good, and not likely to actually help the cause of men in any way whatsoever.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

Sometimes that’s the only way fanatics learn.

Certainly not by reading.

The delusional, ignorant self-righteousness of these Reactionary Keyboard Warriors is truly a sight to behold.

kittehserf

The Men’s Rape Advocacy movement at work.

I used to think MRA stood for male rape advocate. I’ve long since learned I was right, of course.

Yeah, nothing secret about this: their blather about “false” accusations is thin cover for their rage that women can report rape at all, that it’s a crime, even if a very poorly defined and extremely under-reported and under-convicted one. I imagine a great many MRAs are rapists, and breaking the law in many other ways connected with this.

feintone

these asshats are just horrible. they rant on and on about how evil women love to falsely accuse men of rape, yet are glad to do the same thing to people they don’t even know just to be trolls

the university should try to close of the forum to all but enrolled students. that should stop these fools.

titianblue
titianblue

Don’t take advantage of drunk or high women!

Ironic, isn’t it, how “rape myth” phrases stay in our minds, even here. People don’t “take advantage of” drunk or high women. They rape them.

Ally S

Funny how the few voices of reason in that thread have been muted amid the countless screams of “BUT IT’S STILL A FALSE ACCUSATION” and “HAHAHA LET’S FALSELY ACCUSE PEOPLE BECAUSE IRONY.”

It’s so awful that one MRA actually decided to leave r/MensRights because of that thread.

kittehserf

(am I correct that some of those countries don’t have life sentences at all?)

Not meaningful ones here, anyway. “Life” usually means getting out in twenty or thirty years. It takes serial killing or mass killing for someone to be given consecutive sentences, or be marked as “never to be released” – Dupas is one of the latter. Even the Hoddle Street murderer, Julian Knight, keeps coming up for parole, though he’s never going to get out either, and I don’t recall if that filth Adrian Bayley – Jill Meagher’s rapist and murderer, who’d been convicted of multiple rapes and is known to have committed many more – has been given a real life sentence. He should never have been out, but he was because the parole board fucked up. Again.

Ally S

Unless it’s against a man. Then it’s just the worst.

Michael Farkness

Slow clap for the dumbest group on the internet. Bravo, pip pip, you sure showed those nasty feminists trying to help rape victims, including but not limited to the doodz.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

According to this poster in SRS, who claims to work at Occidental, the RKWs have turned in some of their sickest fantasies as homework:

And the r/MensRights moderators don’t give a shit about false rape accusations now:

All of which just highlights that while these boxer stains are doing little more than pissing on the rug, they believe that they are initiating an actual legal process.

grumpycatisagirl

Yep, they just showed themselves to be even worse people than I previously thought they were.

Again.

No bottom to this barrel.

LBT
LBT

RE: Ally

Good. Maybe that person will get away to better, nicer people who have more to accomplish than spamming people.

Bostonian
Bostonian

Gross AND Stupid! The favorite MRA combo!

often_partisan
often_partisan

@ Argenti – in the UK I think you can get locked up for life but I think the only way you’d get actual life imprisonment is if you’re a serial killer, like Nilsen or Hindley or someone like that, or another really severe crime, you wouldn’t get that for rape.

However being given a ‘life sentence’ doesn’t always mean that you’ll be guaranteed to spend your whole life in prison anyway. There’s very few ‘whole life tariffs’ where you’re never allowed out and that’s for the crimes above.

Limiting it to on-campus IPs seems like it would be a sensible move.

chimisaur
chimisaur

This is awful in so many ways, but I’m also a bit worried about the poor researcher that has to deal with all of this terribly messed up data. Is there any way to alert the people dealing with the forms that this is going on and where it’s all coming from (like, maybe a link to the Reddit thread?) ?

If somebody’s going to the trouble to try and formulate more accurate sexual violence statistics, I feel like giving them what little help we can would probably be the non-asshat thing to do here; for the greater good and all that.

pineapplecookies
pineapplecookies

what did I just read?

this is… this is…

“asshat” is not enough anymore.

I am glad, as Ally showed, that one of them could see past the incredibly amount of bullshit.

pineapplecookies
pineapplecookies

*incredible. argh!

MaudeLL

@Ally
Nah, they’re ok with placing false rape acusations on feminist men, or men who generally disagree with them. A false rape accusation is only an inexcusable crime if it a specially vetted MRA is the alleged victim. Everything else is men’s human rights activism.

Ally S

By the way, they keep saying “We’re just spamming the form because we want to get the school to change it!” But if this becomes widely known to the point that the school yields to their demands, the reputation of the school will go down. And that means that survivors will be even less likely to report their victimization because fewer survivors will have trust in the school.

I hate MRAs with every fiber of my being.

Ally S

It also means that the people who look at these reports will be less likely to trust the veracity of them – or perhaps throw them out entirely if they sound like the reports from the trolls.

Seethe.

Kristine
Kristine

Further proof that MRA’s don’t just hate women; they hate EVERYBODY. This is what happens when you choose to view every human interaction as a battle for dominance over each other. Toxic masculinity at it’s finest.

markb
markb

I’m wondering why they used the word “charged”, which suggests a criminal charge. Rather than simply a disciplinary action by the school. Is it just a case of using the word loosely, or do they actually think that the right to face one’s accuser in a court of law no longer applies to those charged with rape?

La Strega

I’m struck by how often MRA comments begin with something like, “First, let’s get a list of all the feminists…” Where is this list? How do you compile one? This is the kind of resolution that “sounds” action-oriented, but is safely within the realm of unactionable fantasy.

LBT
LBT

I figure it’s hyperbole, markb; the idea that they might have even a complaint put against them is just that terrifying. *eyeroll* Never mind that I could go and file a police report against any random dude I wanted, saying they stole something of mine or flashed me. That’s kind of how the law works; someone makes a report, they choose whether to press charges, then they go and see if they have a case at all. Just making a report doesn’t mean anything’ll happen; I only made mine against my rapist in case he tried it again with another teenager. (Which I was pretty sure he would.)

kittehserf

What these guys want is free rein for rapists. Anything with the slightest potential for drawing attention to their crimes, anything that might broaden people’s understanding of rape, or how prevalent it is, enrages them.

Andrew Johnston

…nobody, fucking nobody, accused of a single rape with no evidence besides her accusation is going to get a life sentence. Not in the US, which is where he’s talking about…

I’d have to go through all the state and federal statues to know for sure, but I can’t think of any places in the US where rape by forcible compulsion is a life sentence. Usually, it falls somewhere in the 5-15 year range, roughly equivalent to or slightly higher than aggravated assault/battery. There are only a few circumstances under which a person would get a life sentence for rape. One is a serial rapist charged consecutively, which these idiots aren’t talking about. The other is rape with aggravating factors, which is available as a charge in some places. Aggravated rape is good for 20 or 25 years or even more and is restricted to extreme cases, such as when the victim sustains serious injuries.

Finally, in a very small number of states (two or three, at last count), forcible rape of a minor is a capital offense. It’s very rare for a person to actually be executed even in these jurisdictions, so in practical terms it is a life sentence. So unless these assholes are running around the streets of New Orleans attacking eleven-year olds, there’s not much of a risk.

Bina
Bina

I hope the university has a method in place for weeding out the trolls…non-university IP numbers on the form, for instance. I sure don’t envy whoever has to weed through all the dreck these guys are slinging at them…

dlouwe
dlouwe

Yet another example of males reacting irrationally and getting mangry over nothing. Why can’t they just calm down and use logic? I’m starting to get the idea that men naturally have a lesser inclination towards critical thinking…

Jokes aside, this is a truly horrible display, and aside from the sweeping generalizations about men, I stand by the previous paragraph. There’s really no thought behind whatever is going on here – in fact, I’d say it’s more like anti-thought. A group getting themselves whipped up into a furor over a fabricated hot-button issue, and lashing out in a thoughtless and irresponsible manner.

I just want to put up a giant banner that says “ANOTHER GREAT VICTORY FOR THE RIGHTS OF MEN” and throw confetti and cheer, with a fanfare playing in the background, until they realize I’m being sarcastic and start to rethink their lives.

LBT
LBT

RE: dlouwe

I will happily get the marching ass band to play a Bronx cheer in their honor.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

The MRM: Another Day, Another New Low

hellkell
hellkell

How does this help men?

These assclowns can step on all the Legos.

1 2 3 6