alpha males dawgies evil wives evo psych fairy tales irony alert men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny patriarchy PUA women are dogs

Vox Day: Don't call your wife "the boss," because women are dogs, or something.

You may now lick the bride's face.
You may now lick the bride’s face.

Some married men like to jokingly refer to their wife as “the boss,” generally in a patronizing manner that suggests she’s nominally in charge of the boring everyday stuff in the household that he doesn’t really care about anyway.

But our old nemesis Vox Day isn’t having any of it. To refer to your wife as the boss, even as a joke, is to threaten to loose the forces of anarchy and chaos and feminism upon your family. Also, women are dogs. On his Alpha Game blog, he writes,

If you let a dog think he’s the boss, he will cease to defer to you and begin objecting, violently, when you interfere with what he now believes are his prerogatives. Women are no different.

That’s right. Give in an inch to your wife, and the next thing you know she’ll be sitting on the furniture and insisting on eating “people food” at the table.

It’s a tad ironic that Vox here has decided to degrade women by comparing them to dogs, when his whole “alpha” schtick is based on misguided notions about the behavior of “alpha dogs” and wolves.

It’s one thing to turn over your social calendar to your wife due to a lack of interest in the various social obligations of the family. But checking in to see if there is scheduling conflict, or simply being courteous enough to see if your wife minds if you go to the football game does not make you an employee or a child. Therefore, it does not make her the boss. And what might have been an ironic jest in the days of Mad Men is often taken quite literally now.

Marriage: an endless power struggle in which the wife must always lose.

What a lovely vision of the world!

I should also add that you should never ever, even jokingly, refer to Bruce Springsteen as “the boss” either, because if you do he’s going to be hounding you to hand in your TPS reports and forcing you to work on Saturdays. You don’t want that.

EDITED TO ADD: In the comments on Alpha Game, cailcorishev expands a bit on the whole “women-as-dogs” thing in what he evidently thinks is a humorous way:

Since you mentioned dogs: virtually everything about disciplining a dog and being the pack leader applies to leading a woman (or children). I’m convinced that, if you took a woman on a 45-minute walk every day, as Cesar Millan recommended for dogs, it would eliminate a lot of her problems. Just make sure you lead her, having her take your arm and follow you where you want to go — or use a leash if she’s into that kind of thing.

I can only hope his wife — if there is an unfortunate woman holding this position — pees on the rug and chews up all his important paperwork.

lana

But its really true no joking he “walks” and I follow.Cats don’t “heel” .

And thanks for the band aids .He wiggled away once into a creek .. in my pursuit of him I ended up with extremely bloody legs from the thorny vines.Took a month to heal and I have scars.

Falconer

@Robert: Your school buses had seat belts?!! Here in the Wise All-Knowing Confederacy the only bus kids who get strapped in are the ones who’re being punished.

@lana: Sorry to hear about your shins.

lana

When i first saw people walking their kids on a leash I though …that is ABUSIVE!>>> Eh ..no.

When your 3 and 1/2 year old thinks its “funny” to decide to play ‘hide and seek” with you in a mall ? THAT”S abusive .

lana

@lana: Sorry to hear about your shins.

Thanks Falconer .Its O.K though its a story to tell my grandkids around the campfire.LOL>

bbeaty
bbeaty

@this one is between perspectives

Something tells me we could have had far too much fun on play dates. I once referred to something that my daughter couldn’t remember. I said “Oh, you’re right, that wasn’t with you, that was with my other family.” I almost had her convinced I didn’t go to work, I went to be with my other family.

Don’t think that hasn’t come back to bite me more than a few times: “You told me to be home at midnight? I don’t remember that, you must have told that to your other daughter.”

The result of being a smart ass parent is creating a smart ass child.

hellkell
hellkell

I wish I could leash our cats. We got a leash for Lilly because she kept acting like she wanted out, which is a no go in our neighborhood (coyotes and foxes, no way) but she just tried to eat the leash.

Argenti Aertheri

“Er… I am not sure what the Borg is though? o.o”

Click my nym. It’s run by a bunch of folks from here.

And I was leashed as a kid, because I darted all over the place, including out of sight, and wih the age difference this meant my mother had me disappearing and my brother in a stroller. Not the fancy new ones, the 80s clunkers. I apparently liked my leash, got all “I’m a kitty!” about it. Assuming the kid doesn’t mind, and it’s not used as punishment or anything like that, I’m not sure I see an issue.

bbeaty
bbeaty

One more funny/soul scaring story about leashes, then I need to move on.

Years ago I had the mellowest, most laid back cat. I lived in small apartment and decided to take him to the park to get some air. Well, first of all, there was no fricking way that cat was going to walk there — so I carried him, claws digging into my shoulder the whole way.

“Once we get to the park, it will be fine. Kids will pet him and he can roll in the grass and he will be SOOOO happy.” This is what I thought as blood welled up under my t-shirt.

We get to the park and all kinds of kids came running to see the kitty! Yay! Kitty launches himself out of my arms, hits the ground and races to a crevasse under the corner of the cement pool. I run after him. Kids run after me. I grab the end f the leash just as it disappears after the cat into the darkness.

I am now laying on the ground, arm up to my shoulder under the cement pool, leash taunt, cat yowling and hissing and making that god-awful noise that makes people think they are possessed. And I am surrounded by little kids.

“What was that?!?!”

“It’s a cat.”

“Was it a skunk?”

“No. It’s a cat.”

“Was it a raccoon?”

“No, it’s a cat.”

“Was it a wolverine?”

“No. It’s a cat.”

“Is it a wild cat?”

“No. it’s a tame cat.”

(pause while children listen to the unholy noise and peer in to see glowing eyes in the dark, then look at the blood on my back)

“Are you sure?”

Salacious
Salacious

A while ago, my cats would follow my mom around whenever she went for a walk. I’m not sure if they thought she was abandoning them or something, but we had to make sure the windows were closed when leaving the house or they’d go with us everywhere.

bbeaty
bbeaty

@Argenti, I wish my daughter had taken to it like that. I think they can be great tools for keeping kids at the running away stage safe. Unfortunately, it didn’t work for us.

lana

(loud speaker ) Will the parents of (kids name) please come to the fine jewelry dept.

And one time I had the whole store calling his name. Right as we were making the decision to call 9-11 I noticed one of the rolled up Persian rugs “moving” and heard giggling.

LEASH!

Dvärghundspossen

I don’t think leash on a child is inherently problematic either, if it’s a toddler who’s darting around like crazy and it’s merely used to keep the kid from running out into traffic and stuff. It’s not common – I guess most people manage their kids anyway – but I know a few people who either were leashed themselves as toddlers or have used leashes on their kids, and I don’t think it’s problematic. I think some people react strongly to it for the same reason as some people react strongly to clothes on dogs – like it’s dog stuff on a human or human stuff on a dog and that’s just WRONG.

Back to the original topic of the post, I would hate to have a romantic relationship which was a constant power struggle. I would also hate to have a constant power struggle with my four dogs, and go around feeling that I had to show them I was “alpha” all the time because otherwise OMG THEY’RE GONNA TAKE OVER! As if all dogs were some kind of wannabe dictators. Sure, if you treat your dog like zie’s a wannabe dictator who has to be kept firmly in zir place all the time, and if zie’s the kind of dog that doesn’t take shit easily, you’re gonna create a constant power struggle, and your views on dogs will become a self-fulfilling prophecy… but it doesn’t have to be like that.

kittehserf

Excitement! We have Office Furrinatus today! The boss is minding his daughter’s dog and she’s lying between our desks at the moment. I’ve taken a couple of pics but won’t be able to upload ’em till I get home.

Does this mean I should call the dog the boss?

Salacious ,

Before I wised up and decided not to let my new cats out .Mine were allowed to come and go as they pleased. I had a cat named Apple and she followed me when I went on walks with my grand baby. She was already outside so I don’t think she thought I was abandoning her.She was just going with us for a walk I think . She died a couple of years ago of kidney failure at the fairly young age of 7.

Her sister now 10 I still let out a couple hours a day .Only because her whole life I did and I don’t know. Its a quality verses quantity thing with her.My 2 Bengals never are allowed out unless I’m with them .One of them CRIES to go out (hes the one I leash) the other one could care less. But if he wants out he is fine in the yard with me .He chases butterflies and bugs. The one I leash hops the fence and RUNS! But I started leash training him when he was just a kitten when I realized he had the need to be out .

I ordered a custom collar for him designed for cats.

From here.

Salacious
Salacious

Well, the reason I said I’m not sure why they followed us was because it become a rather new phenomenon. They had been outdoor cats for a long time and suddenly every time my mom took a walk they were right there behind her. They didn’t do it as much with anyone else but her.

I think if I got a new cat I’d have them be indoors, although I’d probably feel bad on occasion. But, I think they’re more friendly or maybe just bored and need more attention when they’re indoor cats. It’d be tough if they really wanted to go out though.

Growing up we had a revolving door of stray cats coming through our house, and a safe neighbourhood. The worse that happened was our neighbours would complain about the cats being in their yard, but we ignored them.

Ally S

Apple has to be one of the cutest cat names ever.

Also, when my beloved tabby cat Sherkhan (named after the character of the same name in The Jungle Book) was still alive, he loved following me and my siblings around. He always had this adorable, “curious” look on his face. I miss him so much. :<

Marie
Marie

@falconer

@marie, Hey-o! I’m not sure there’s going to be a good thread to show back up in, on this site, unless you wait for an Open Thread that has kittens on it.

Well, I’ll take that as this thread wasn’t worse than most others 😛

I don’t think you came back too angry. IMO STOMP PEEPS TOESES UNTIL THE OWNER ASKS ME TO STOP won’t win my friendship. Do people who act like this online, act like this offline? It’s a great way to get uninvited to my house post haste.

It was mostly the ableism pissing me off :/ Though neither was good.

@lana

ow ow ow *sympathy wince*

@argenti aertheri

Ditto. (and hi! :D)

@kittehs

Excitement! We have Office Furrinatus today! The boss is minding his daughter’s dog and she’s lying between our desks at the moment. I’ve taken a couple of pics but won’t be able to upload ‘em till I get home.

Does this mean I should call the dog the boss?

You definetly should XD

Chaos Engineer
Chaos Engineer

A “bellwether” is a castrated ram that wears a bell around its neck. Its function is to lead the other sheep on walks.

The moral is that you can’t just blindly take the lead when you’re out on a walk and then assume that you’re impressing the people around you. You need to figure out what kind of animal passers-by are likely to be comparing you to. Is it dogs? Or sheep? Or what if they’re thinking about geese? (“Look at those dumb geese. They’re supposed to take turns being in front of the rest of flock, so that they won’t get tired as quickly.”)

kittehserf

::waves:: Hi Marie!

David, not a problem. I extend my apologies to anyone offended.

meh. Idk, still feeling kind of supicious, but am glad you did.

I’m more than suspicious, because Ashley’s been called out on this before, and apologised before, but hasn’t stopped doing it.

Hey, Ashley, what’s your problem? You don’t get the idea of a community having standards of what’s accepted or not? Why do you want to hang around here if you don’t accept the standards of commentary and won’t stop being offensive unless teacher tells you? That’s obnoxious and immature.

I don’t have a problem with the idea of leashes for little kids. They were used a lot when I was a child, though I’m pretty sure I was never in one. They give the child freedom of movement outside a stroller, mean the adult doesn’t have to hold their hand all the time, but keep the child close. They’re certainly better than the wrist-lead things (rather like a Slinky) that were around for a while more recently.

Marie
Marie

@kittehs

Meh. Did not know that.

kittehserf

Oh: on the matter of walks – well, Louis and I have a walk through the park every morning, and I wouldn’t miss it.

On walking an MRA: make sure he’s wearing nappies. The thought of seeing an MRA waddling along in the discomfort of a full nappy is perversely appealing.

lana

Hmm..see I had Apple and her sister Furry (I still have Furry) .Both outside /inside cats .But only Apple would follow us . At the time I had another cat too .She had been an outside cat someone abandoned I rescued when she was about a year old . She NEVER and I mean never went outside again after I had her spayed let alone followed us LOL>>(think she knew she had it good with a bed in front of the window in the sun and food a plentiful)

lana

Apple has to be one of the cutest cat names ever.

Thanks Ally …her face to me and head was the perfect “Apple”.

And I LOVE Jungle book (yes Im 45) and that name Sherkhan. And sorry for your loss .(hugs)

Argenti Aertheri

Reminder — outdoor cats MUST not be declawed (really, just don’t do it at all) and should be spayed/neutered (that mistake got us three litters of kittens!)

Hi Marie! Was it you or Fade who was collecting recipes? You should check some of the recent threads, someone asked about shrimp the other day.

Marie
Marie

@Argenti Aertheri

I’m going to assume it was Fade cuz I’ve got no recollection of doing it :p I’ll point her that way though.

lana

On the whole “chemical imbalance thing” ? It doesn’t bother me so much .I’ve been known to say things such as “he needs a thorzine drip” or some “electro shock” even though I know their is not a higher instance of being a complete and utter ASS HOLE /misogynist /hater/racist let alone “stupid” with chemical imbalances.

But if the majority agrees its offensive or if one person seems to want to hone in on that all the time it gets old.

lana

Even though I believe declawing should be outlawed period .(MADE illegal ) I agree.

I had an inside outside cat that I had declawed and at five he was eaten by a coyote.I will always be haunted if he could have gotten away had he had his claws.

Bina
Bina

Chiming back in after a few hours’ rest (I feel gross, please don’t anyone else catch what I’ve got):

My mom had a safety harness for me and my sibs as toddlers, rarely used, but handy in crowd situations, for sure. So I guess you could say I’ve been walked on a leash at some point in my life. Luckily, I was too young to remember that. Any dude who tried it with me now would be covered in teeth marks and in need of tetanus shots, so…fair warning.

Re: leashing cats — never done it myself. Never had to. My kitties are all indoor/outdoor ones, and quickly learned to come when called. Partly out of love, and partly because they quickly figured out that a loud “Kitty kitty kittyyyyyyy!” meant FOOD. And petting. And more food.

My sister has a fat, cuddly calico that will go along on walks, but she doesn’t need a leash either; she just follows like a chubby little tri-colored doggie. Autumn is an awesome cat.

That is all.

AK
AK

Man, now I have to feel bad for MRAs’ dogs as well as any women unlucky enough to know them. The complete lack of understanding is kind of hilarious.

My parents had a leash for me, but we only used it while hiking because I used to wander off the trail in the blink of an eye. I never got lost but it seriously freaked my parents out. I didn’t have to wear it when I’d hike with both of them and I could walk between them, but usually it was just me and my dad and I would follow him.

AK
AK

Actually right after I hit submit I remembered a kind of funny story…my dad and I were climbing a few years ago and he was getting pretty tired, enough so that he joked that I should short rope him to help him get to the top. He was like, “It would be payback for all those times I dragged you up mountains by a rope when you were a kid!” Not quite the same, Dad… 😉

Salacious
Salacious

This is totally off-topic, but on reddit the MRAs are going nuts over another fake story

It’s pretty funny, some kid is claiming his female teacher gave him a 0 for writing about bitcoin. But, his “paper” reads like some kind of spam ad for making quick cash. Also, the reddit account posting it is like 2 days old.

LBT
LBT

RE: sawburst

no male would stoop this low to make fun of the art of chauvinism and misogyny,

Aw, does this mean I have to return my man card now? *pouts* And ‘art’? Really?

Everything that women use in their daily lives, us men did it.

Tell that to Ada Lovelace and Madam Curie, dumbass.

RE: katz

Oh yay, Elvis! I’ve only heard this done by the Brian Setzer Orchestra with Gwen Stefani. Thanks for sharing this version, which I like better.

Ally S

I feel bad for the kid since that’s a difficult topic for most 8th graders to write about and he probably worked hard on it (even though the essay is silly and LOL @ bitcoin), but how anyone can see that as an example of sexism is beyond me. Perhaps you could make the argument that his teacher is ageist, but even that is a stretch considering that expecting kids to write about kid things isn’t that unreasonable.

Ashley

I wasn’t going to comment anymore about this and just drop it….but since my attention to the issues has been called upon again….

kittehserf, as far as I know, I can only recall someone (maybe you? I don’t remember who) pointing it out to me once before, and that very well may have been a year (or more) so ago. If someone called me out more than that, then I wasn’t around to see it. My comment back then was a mistake because I didn’t know the standards of this community. The mistake I made today was made on a whim and I wasn’t thinking/has forgotten about it. I sincerely apologize. It won’t happen again, and by any chance that it does, I won’t be back here. I don’t want to keep offending anyone. I honestly didn’t mean anything by what I said, but nonetheless it was offensive whether I meant it to be or not. That’s all I can say now, so whether anyone continues to be suspicious of me is out of my control.

neuroticbeagle

Does this mean I should call the dog the boss?

Yes- if and ONLY if there are no cats around.

Re: kids and leashes

Ad a retail associate, I <3 leashes on children. Children on leashes are not the ones running around the store like it's a fucking playground while their parents completely ignore them.

Re: outdoor/indoor cats

When I was a kid, we had an outdoor/indoor cat that liked to walk with us to school everyday. He also enjoyed attending the services of the church across the street.

kittehserf

As a retail customer I agree with every word.

Office Dog has gone home now, so the question of whether it’s safe to call her Boss doesn’t arise … there could have been trouble if Katie’d been listening in.

She was making herself a Right Pest at breakfast yesternight. She had her plate of food, but oh no, that wasn’t good enough; she had to get onto Louis’s shoulder, slither around and down onto his lap, and help herself from his plate*. So he moved her plate next to his and she ate from that, but it meant he was eating breakfast leaning over.

*the same plate it wasn’t good enough to help herself from the other day. Of course.

Marie
Marie

@lana

Unless you have a chemical imbalance (which idk if you do) saying it doesn’t bother you doesn’t really mean much. It bothers me a lot, and I do have a chemical imbalance in the brain, so I’m all for stopping with it.

@bina

Hope you feel better soon 🙁

LBT
LBT

I gotcha borgcritter number four right here! Though, warning, it’s the troll doll, so beware the creepiness.

And yeah, I’m with Marie on this one. I knew folks who were undergoing ECT and taking Thorazine. Shockingly, they weren’t pains in the ass.

Ashley ,

For what its worth I did not take offense to your comments and i have had “chemical imbalances” .

I think it may be a matter of the sensitive nature of dealing with haters so they “must be ” chemically imbalanced .That sort of indirectly is damning anyone with a chemical imbalance as a hater or potential hater .

If that makes sense.

Bonelady
Bonelady

Someone asked about Mr. Beale`s family – if someone else has answered this, I apologize – I`ve been grading and giving exams all day. Mr. Beale has a wife, he calls her “Space Bunny”, and three children. They live in Italy and have done so since around 2000. He is well off – his father was well off as well – but how much of Mr. Beale`s money came from his own earning, I don`t know. Of the children, he has a boy and a girl. He`s never mentioned the sex of the third child. The oldest child is a son who Beale calls “Ender ” on his blog. Ender seems to be between 10-13 or so. The one time he mentioned his daughter, he talked about her as an infant. What the time frame on her birth is, I couldn`t tell you. In one entry, talked about how his wife was better with mechanics or spatial relationships (I honestly do not recall – it was something about fixing their lawn mower) and that when the lawn mower got messed up, she either fixed it or told him how to do so.

Getting this information required me to read his blog for a year or so. I would not ask anyone to do that, so I am sharing what I know. I teach a college level Human Diversity course. He provides me with excellent examples.

lana

Yes I have .I have been hospitalized 2 times in my life .But being a sensitive person you saying it “bothers you a lot” takes precedence for me over the fact it doesn’t bother me .

Integral
Integral

I tried to walk my cat on a leash once when I was a kid. She didn’t care for it. By which I mean that she clawed her way up my body and crouched, shivering in terror, on the top of my head.

kittehserf

Ashley – a year ago? Nope, I wouldn’t even remember you were commenting that long ago. More recent and more often and called out more than once, not by me.

lana – “That sort of indirectly is damning anyone with a chemical imbalance as a hater or potential hater”

It not only adds to the “people with mental illnesses are assholes/dangerous” meme, which we all know is bullshit and adds to prejudice; conversely, it gives the haters a get-out-of-jail-free card. It attributes their horrible behaviour to something beyond their control, and conveniently exonerates them from having to own that shit. It’s a lose-lose for people who have whatever conditions, be they minor “chemical imbalances” (I’m in that group, presumably, since I’m on antidepressants) or major illnesses.

And like you said upthread, stupidity isn’t an illness either!

kittehserf

OWWWWWWWWWWW

Bina
Bina

Hope you feel better soon 🙁

Thanks, Marie. This seems to be one of those 48-hour gastrointestinal bugs, judging by the cramps. The back muscle pain is a dead giveaway, too. Those things are a bastard, but nasty and brutish as they are, they’re also mercifully short. Meanwhile, ginger tea is in order.

Intregal ! LOL!!

My cat see’s the leash and KNOWS its outside time for him .What he wants and the only way he’s going to get it ! If I pick his collar and leash up he RUNS to me. Just like a dog.

lana

Oh ma gosh! The block monster got me! My first time! I’m not a virgin anymore!

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

My parents/sister tried to leash train their/our* (indoor-only) cats. It, uh, didn’t take, even for the cat who wants to go outside. (Our old lady cat was never really interested in the world outside the house.)

I’m still going to try with mine once the weather warms up come spring. (I don’t feel like going outside in the winter, and even though Jade is a longhair, I don’t want to risk them getting to cold either.)

*I have moved out and have my own kitties, but the other cats have lived with us since I was in middle school, so they’re still my kitties, I just don’t have custody of them.

wordsp1nner
wordsp1nner

And on child leases: my parents always said that they thought that leashes were a sign of a terrible parent until my baby sister ended up getting almost all the way out of a movie theater isle before they noticed she was gone. She was about 2 or 3 at the time.

kittehserf

Oh ma gosh! The block monster got me! My first time! I’m not a virgin anymore!

You have passed the Manboobz initiation!