are these guys 12 years old? crackpottery drama kings grandiosity gullibility imaginary oppression lying liars men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny MRA ShitRedditSays straw feminists that's completely wrong

True Facts about Sh*tRedditSays

This is what a feminist looks like?
This is what a feminist looks like?

One of the strangest things about doing this blog is all the things I ‘ve learned about myself in the process. I don’t mean all the insights into my inner being I’ve gained,  though there’s been a bit of that. I  mean all the completely untrue things I’ve learned from people who hate me.

For some reason, many of the people who most hate this blog– many of whom have never read it — aren’t satistfied with criticizing me for what I do and who I am; they find it necessary to make up many new and horrible and not-actually-true things to criticize me for: That I plant the things I quote on this blog to make Men’s Rightsers look bad, that I write all the comments myself (all the hundreds of thousands of them) to make Man Boobz look more popular.

Oh, and that I want all men cuckolded.

To those who hate me and this site, I and the Man Boobz commentariat have become what sociologist Stanley Cohen called “folk devils,” convenient scapegoats around which various urban legends — or in this case internet legends — have grown like mushrooms.

The ShitRedditSays empire on Reddit has developed a similar mythos of its own. ShitRedditSays started out as a subreddit to collect together and skewer the worst, most bigoted nonsense that regularly posted and upvoted on Reddit; it grew into a robust Reddit counterculture that’s really one of the only good things about the site.

But to most Redditors, it seems, the SRS folk devils really are akin to the devil, and they are accused of all sorts of preposterous things on a daily basis — many of which suggest that SRS wields vast and nefarious powers behind the scenes on Reddit and possibly even in the real world. There’s so much of this nonsense that the SRSers have started a whole subreddit devoted to the SRS Mythos.

Basically, all the preceding was sort of a long-winded preface to me saying that I just discovered SRSMythos and have been really enjoying reading it.

Here are some of the not-so-true facts about SRS catalogued there:

A claim that

my friend used to mod there [on SRS], he and his buddies from Stormfront.org started it as a joke to get people to hate politically correct liberals and black people.

The notion that SRS was secretly started as a joke by Nazis or other bigots is one of Reddit’s favorite conspiracy theories.

A claim from a Men’s Rights Redditor that one of the Men’s Rights subreddit mods is a secret SRS agent.

Another Redditor, familiar to anyone who reads the anti-SRS and/or Men’s Rights subreddits, offers a convoluted theory about how SRS is all part of a weird eugenics experiment.

Someone called againstSRS complains  that “THEY’RE the ones who try to make fun of US for so-called “ridiculous” conspiracy theories? Our theories about SRS and women destroying society are more grounded in concrete facts than their entire sense of reality.”

Someone else asserts that SRS is a

horrible horrible subreddit full of Nazi Feminists that aren’t actually for equality. They hate all men, and think that every man is a rapist. I’ve seen people banned from it just for mentioning that they were a guy while commenting.

Actually, SRS did its own demographic surveys and found that most SRSers — -somewhere in the range of 57% to 59% — were dudes. Granted, that’s a low percentage of men for Reddit — which is overall 80% male — but not exactly evidence that SRSers are a bunch of man-hating feeeeemale separatists.

Check it out. There’s a lot of fascinating stuff there, whether you’re studying the sociology of scapegoating, or if you just like seeing Redditors post idiotic crap.

kittehserf

Gods, yes, do, Argenti! 😀

emilygoddess, LBT – there’s something about that idea that gives me a bit of the creeps, somehow, and I’m trying to figure out what it is. Like LBT says, otherkin aren’t hurting anyone; I can’t talk about the matter of fictitious multis, not being multi myself. Maybe it’s the idea of a separate person in headspace … appropriating that person? I guess for me it’s like imprisoning their soul, or the grossness that Mormons pull with their claims to baptise the dead, and even go around pestering people on the other side. What I don’t mean is that it feels anything like Louis’s and my situation; headspace isn’t involved, he’s a separate person.

Hmm …

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

I just…has Jammy even been here when the regulars get to discussing philosophy or theology or…anything? “Cloddish” and “anti-intellectual” are some of the last words I’d use to describe you people.

Viscaria

Watch the climate here, folks. Big clumps of earth just fall from the sky.

kittehserf

Could be worse. Could be meatballs.

augochlorella
augochlorella

Every so often in debate we get novice competitors who haven’t yet realized that they can’t use vocabulary as a stand-in for intelligence or argumentation. They always entertain me, especially when they don’t even use the words correctly, like our troll here.

RE: emilygoddess

…none of this is news to me. In fact, many of the people who’ve helped me get back on my feet the past few years are soulbonders. Hell, we used to be a soulbonder. My husband is, depending on your interpretation, fictional; we don’t mention it much, but it’s a thing. We also know folks who are multi for “trivial” reasons. Is this a problem?

Alice Sanguinaria

Consequentially, the misuse of vocabulary terms by our latest competitor in the annual Troll of the Year contest has been quite amusing, to say the least. Unfortunately for said troll, fancy words do not an argument make, nor does it lend an aura of credibility. It just, to use a vulgar colloquialism, make one look like a fucking dumbass.

kittehserf

Damn. I have to go home and I just know I’m going to miss the most interesting part of today’s conversations!

Later, y’all. 🙂

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

My issue with things like otherkin and multiplicity is the people who are just tagging along because it makes them feel different or special. I met otherkin on the Pagan parts of the Internet over a decade ago, and back then they were mostly earnest people who felt a deep connection with this or that animal or mythical being; now, on Tumblr, they’re mostly teenagers rushing to out-snowflake each other with their pokemon-Elder God hybrid kintypes (yes, I’ve seen it), and it’s hard to believe they all really believe it. Throw in their latching on to SJ culture and claiming they’re oppressed and they’re just like transgender people and the rest of us have cisspecies privilege, and you just want to cover your ears and go “LA LA LA” until they grow out of it. From my outsider vantage point, it looks like a lot of the Tumblr Multiples are variants on the same theme: teenagers and young adults trying to seem cool and different by latching onto something that they don’t really understand. They’ve since moved on to what they call “tulpas”, which is where they invent imaginary friends and then try to convince themselves to believe they’re real, which is supposed to make them real, and anyone who says that making yourself believe in literal delusions might not be healthy is just a hater. I just can’t with Tumblr sometimes.

I do like a lot of the fandom on Tumblr, and there are some great humor blogs, and it was Tumblr that encouraged me to get excited about witchcraft and Paganism again, but there are things about Tumblr that range from ridiculous (see above) to toxic (callout culture and invented oppressions and the way one stupid post can blow up into a sitewide hatefest).

kittehserf

“None of those words are particularly arcane, and I see them used all the time. They allow me to say what I wish to say with greater precision. ”

OH! Fetch my smelling salts! ::swoons::

kittehserf

Dammit, first it was the blockquote monster, now it’s the copypaste monster!

Alice Sanguinaria

Copypasta monster? WHERE??

Ally S

Copypasta monster? WHERE??

Copypasta monster? WHERE??

HE LURKS BENEATH THE SHADOWS!

dun dun duunnnn

RE: emilygoddess

…how can you tell? DID is notorious for hitting folks early; I’m actually considered a bit of a freak for not going multi till the age of twelve. It’s pretty common for people to become cognizant of it in their teens; goodness knows we did. And even if these teenagers are wanting to feel special: so? I treat them the same, and if they decide they’re not multi anymore, well, chalk it up for a learning experience.

I’ve been in the multi subculture, including among teenagers, since 2007. I have a lot of complaints about it, and there’s a reason I left, but fakers and special snowflakes aren’t one of them. There are attention magnets in all subcultures; I generally am not affected by it because I just am not surprised by anything. I know folks with gods and Daleks and unicorns in their heads, and mostly, they seem RELIEVED that I don’t give a shit. *shrug* That’s why they’re my friends.

I mean, maybe tumblr is just way worse or something, but hell, I’m like Dear Abby for teenage multis on DA, and I just have never been all that worried about fakers or snowflakes at all.

CassandraSays

Jammy is to precision as Burger King is to fine dining.

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

@LBT I guess I assumed it was a problem for the same reason self-diagnosing with Autism or any other condition is a problem, or claiming to be “triggered” whet you’re just upset. If you’re just doing it to be different or to shield yourself from criticism, it’s kind of insulting to people who actually have that condition, and can have real-world consequences for people already living with the stigma or struggling to find treatment. Just look at the backlash against trigger warnings.

I’m kind of extrapolating from my own mental illnesses here. if it doesn’t bother you, I’ll stop being bothered on your behalf, and apologize for overstepping.

RE: emilygoddess

*shrug* Seeing how I’m self-diagnosed (been multi since twelve, didn’t get a diag until… well, this year) and how frankly, multi is already covered with scientists claiming it doesn’t exist, I feel teenagers on the Internet are the least of my troubles. I’m sure there are folks using it shield themselves from criticism, but so does all sorts of subcultures. It’s easy; I treat them like I do anyone else, and if they desperately wanted to be treated like little gods, they won’t be in my company for long. But yeah, I’m not bothered, so no need to be worried on my behalf!

lowquacks
lowquacks

“Anti-intellectual” is a new one. Isn’t it usually that the feminist left are too absorbed in pointless non-STEM academics and trying to use words that aren’t real?

LBT

Also, as an additional note: getting diagnosed DID is an ASS AND A HALF. It’s expensive, there aren’t a lot of specialists (and those that are have… uh. Just google ‘Colin Ross’ and ‘malpractice’ for an example, because he’s who I almost ended up going to) and a lot of doctors don’t believe it exists at all, so ANYONE who claims to be multi is faking or highly suggestible and so on. Also, being diagnosed DID can really wreck a lot of things; I know a system who is forbidden from driving due to being DID. So I really can’t blame anyone for avoiding a diagnosis.

Viscaria

Forbidden to drive? Sh*t.

RE: Viscaria

Yeah. Involuntary switches, you know? And what if you get someone who can’t drive? Fortunately, that’s not an issue here, but yeah, it’s a thing that can happen. (Plus, there’s just getting lost; we knew one system who only managed to get around because they had a GPS with them at all times, so if they switched or zoned and found themselves God Knows Where, they could still get home.)

Ally S

@marinaliteyears

Hi! Here’s your official Man Boobz welcome package: http://artistryforfeminismandkittens.wordpress.com/the-official-man-boobz-complimentary-welcome-package/

Argenti Aertheri

Sir Pecunium has been summoned. Sorry for the delay, I got kidnapped by a cat!

cloudiah

So someone already pointed out that Reddit has some cool nooks and crannies, and I just wanted to plug /r/badhistory. It’s not a feminist sub, but they do not suffer MRA fools gladly.

Also, one of the reasons I keep coming here is that regularly people say things that significantly expand my thinking, and this thread was no exception:

So DefJam has come to accuse us all of being the dreaded manhaters and I’m just… not very interested. I have men in my life that I love very much, but I’m sick of being required to talk about how much I care about them before it’s okay for me to want things like bodily autonomy or basic human respect.

And it’s not like it’s a game we can win, anyway; people will go ahead and insist we hate men no matter what we say. I’ve been told that I hate men because I do things like allow some of the skin on my legs to be visibly exposed when I am in public.

LBT

It’s funny cloudiah, because I was talking to hubby today, like, “Do you think I don’t give white men a fair shake?”

And he just stared at me like I’d asked his opinion on prehistoric economics or something, and was like, “First of all, you like plenty of white guys. Second, come on. We can take care of ourselves. We can handle ONE GUY not liking us.”

pecunium

Ax: I put “feminism” in scare quotes precisely because it’s a movement I respect and take seriously. I don’t want to dignify the juvenile circlejerking that goes on in ShitRedditSays with the label.

I see, you have been appointed the Grand High Poobah of Feminist Credentialing. I’ll be sure to look up the requirements for being one in good standing.

Or not.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Jammy, come on —
“None of those words are particularly arcane, and I see them used all the time. They allow me to say what I wish to say with greater precision.”

No. They are. They truly are. I used tutor college students for English 101. You write like the students I had to oversee. It’s cool, you’re just out of your depth. People who are rather good at communicating can spot overcompensation from a mile a way. It’s due to the high literacy level here.

“If the climate here is so cloddish that having a semi-advanced vocabulary is looked down upon, well, you’re only hurting yourselves.”

Oh, the people here are plenty advanced. If you read more books you’d realize that.
Read, fella…and you’d have contempt for your posts too.

pecunium

Jammies: Don’t own a thesaurus. It’s not a particularly obscure word,

No, but not terribly appropos either. You might be better served should make the acquaintance of Fowler.

I was just pointing out that there are probably quite a few commenters on this very blog who would agree with those Tumblr trans lesbians.

Can you back that up?

In a general sense, the commentariat here would do well to spend more time considering their words instead of just posting whatever inchoate thought pops into their heads.

Aw… does oo have sumfing to prove? Is oo having a problem in the impressing people dept.?

Because these words, they do not mean what you think they do.

It’s a rarefied distinction

Nope. It might be a fine, subtle, minor, or particular one, but rarified it is not. You may not be abusing the work of Roget, in particular, but if you aren’t careful we shall soon be reading about sagging nipples on firm protuding busts

I don’t see you making any sort of contribution aside from snarking at other people, you insouciant prick.

Snarking at the Ms. Malaprops of the world is a poistive contribution to conversation; and the attempted conferral of obliquious infamy is its own assertion of a personal right to engage in snark on your part, which is;perforce, a blatant epitome of the hypocritical, unable to engage in even such limited self awareness as is required to avoid self-referential invalidation by contradiction for so much as one single public expression of thought.

Argenti Aertheri

Pecunium — ah well, you see, us non-cis-men (also people who aren’t straight white and aren’t disabled) need…wait, never mind. Sorry, going to have to revoke your ability to tell the rest of us how to do activism since you’re among the officially disabled (unlike me, I’m probably going to get rejected by SSI because of my FUCKING PSYCH…but that rant is in your inbox and off topic here)

cloudiah

As a variant of a “clod” (depending on how one pronounces my name), I am not a fan of “cloddish” being used as a negative. Having the qualities or characteristics of me is a very good thing, IMO. I may be biased.

pecunium

Jammies: None of those words are particularly arcane, and I see them used all the time. They allow me to say what I wish to say with greater precision.

1: You may seem them used (though I rather misdoubt that you do so, “all the time”), but you don’t seem to understand what they mean; this is common among those who either ill-educated, or who happen to be somewhat careless autodidacts. The dictionary is your friend. Ennervate is hard to acquire from context, as is peruse. It seems you suffer from incomplete understanding of both the denotative, and connotative meanings of these seven-dollar words you have chosen to sprinkle about your bleating cries for attention.

Which means you aren’t gaining any precision.

I, for one, do look down on, “semi-advanced vocabulary”. It’s the sign of a jobbing intellect. Someone who has chosen the appearance of education as if it were a substitute for the real thing. It’s a tin-fiddle, and a clanging cymbal; all hat, and no cattle, a meal of little meat, and less merit.

Better to use a simple word, and be plainly understood, than to choose the perfect pleonastic brachyolgy and lose the audience. This is the secret of the good speaker, she can read the audience and address them with the language; and devices, needed to make her meaning plain.

You, on the other hand, are trying to dress lamb as mutton; to impress with your intellect by overwhelming with the scope and reach of your language.

You’re out of your depth. The best you have managed is one-liner insults of a general nature. Dave is oily and smooth, our arguments are thin, and esoteric, etc. These are not different in nature from, “yer fat!”, or, “heh… he said dickless… heh, henh, heh!”. If you want to put us in our place you will need to bring some solid game; find a weak spot and expand it, open line of attack while you lay the ground work for a flanking move; to launch when you have managed to back-foot one of us.

You haven’t got it. Worse, you tipped your hand with the first one, and then flailed. You are not only on the ropes, but cornered. You don’t seem to be the intellectual equal of the meanest intelligence here; and you chose to bait the entirety of the local population. That’s like trying to roller skate in a buffalo herd. Won’t be nothing but a wet smear of muddy grass when they get done with you.

So it’s gonna suck to be you, and I’m gonna eat buttered popcorn and laugh.

CassandraSays

I quite liked the idea of random clumps of soil falling from the sky and hitting Jammy on the head, though.

Viscaria

I’m curious what happens when the rest of us adjectivify our names. “Viscaryish” sounds like some putrid yellowy-green colour.

CassandraSays

Cassandrish sounds like a language used exclusively by very gloomy prophets.

Ally S

Allyish sounds like Maghrebi Arabic for “Why?”, which is “Alaish?”

Argenti Aertheri

“pleonastic brachyolgy”

*snorts* I see what I you did there!

Loved the Middle English btw, prefer early modern myself, but only because middle breaks my brain. Thou art a wordsmith of thee finyst calibre.

Argenti Aertheri

Argentish? Argentīsh? Ehh…Aertherīsh?

Nope, not working.

Viscaria

“Doctor, what is it? What have you found?” “There appears to be a scroll hidden at the base of the tomb, but… it can’t be… yes, it is! It’s written in Ancient Cassandrish! This is a marvelous find!”

Argenti Aertheri

Part of it is that Argenti kinda already is -ish. It’s of silver in Latin — minus the rouge r in Aertheri my nym translates as silver ether (ether like the atmosphere/mist, not the chemical use age of the word, though it’s derived from the same)

Ally S

@Argenti

Yours could be Argentian or Aertherian! (-ian is a nice adjective suffix as well)

Speaking of that, Allyan sounds like some weird headache medicine.

Viscaria

Yeah, I read “Argentish” as some anglophone’s awkward attempt to say “silvery” in French, which is too bad.

Ally S

“Viscarian” sounds like some alien race. =P

Viscaria

I think Allyish and Allyan are both quite pretty! And I get ugly-coloured aliens XD.

On that note, it is significantly past my bedtime. Talk to you folks later.

WeeBoy
WeeBoy

Hmmm, on the subject of tulpas and headmates, I find it hard to take seriously, and I do kind of feel like the teens who have these obviously great imaginations don’t get how fucking terrifying psychosis can be.

Age 20 I became concerned that the imaginary person I had an ongoing story for was having feelings which I wasn’t giving him. I started to have auditory hallucinations for the first time since childhood. It was all part of a depressive breakdown, and it was utterly terrifying. I can’t imagine why someone would attempt to induce this in themselves.

It’s okay to have imaginary friends, and to care deeply for them and to keep them for years. But it’s also a good thing to admit they’re imaginary.

(Note, not talking about anyone here.)

DefJam
DefJam

Once again, thinking it is OK to “hate your oppressors”, doesn’t mean you do… it just means you’ll make excuses for other terrible people.

kittehserf

My brain can’t even get round what kittehserfish would be. 😀

vaiyt

“Since you people apparently cannot be bothered to get yoru facts straight, I don’t see the point of continuing to post here.”

Since you apparently cannot be bothered to bring any facts, I applaud your decision.

pecunium

yep… take your defeat like a grown up and bow out.

kittehserf

you’ll make excuses for other terrible people.

Gee, just like you do for Paul Elam and his violence-promoting crew.

The only point in your posting here is to give us a chewtoy, but we’ve had much better, so bye, you won’t be missed.

kittehserf

Also I’ve never straightened a yoru fact in my life. I like ’em curly.