$MONEY$ divorce gender swap MRA reddit

Kevin Federline-andry: The most pressing men's human rights issue of our age?

Presented, without comment — ok, besides this comment, and the comment in the title of the post — is this headline from the Men’s Rights subreddit:

Kevin Federline received $13 million from his divorce with Brittany Spears. Would he have gotten more if genders swapped?

Thanks once again to AgainstMensRights for finding this one.

Also, it’s BRITNEY. Not Brittany. Britney. One T, followed by NEY. B-R-I-T-N-E-Y. It’s not hard to remember.

CassandraSays

I guess they’re pissed off that after the divorce she went on being more important than he is, just like she was before they got married. They seem to want divorce to be a thing that ruins women’s lives forever so that women will be too scared to ask for one, but that doesn’t really work when the woman was the one who had all the money and power to begin with.

Argenti Aertheri

“Is she actually a dog?”

Hadn’t we already established that, or was that someone else’s cat dog?

kittehserf

My cat comes and curls up next to me and acts sweet when I’m sick. Is she actually a dog?

She may be a cat wearing a dog suit wearing a cat suit.

Just to mess with your mind.

There are cats who are really dogs – Kodi comes to mind.

CassandraSays

My old cat would fetch, but only for my mum. She should have tried training animals for movies.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I’m pretty broken up about the imaginary injustice done to imaginary ManBritney in Imaginary Town. I made this frowny face right here: 🙁

WeeBoy
WeeBoy

My old cat mourned my father when he passed. He would go around the house each morning and meow at all the closed doors, and then meow at all the open doors in case Dad was hiding behind them, and then he would go sleep on Dad’s side of the bed. It was heartbreaking.

He possibly could have been a dog though, he was big enough.

kittehserf

Viscaria, have you done any catstacking yet?

kittehserf

Look at this – it is possible to herd cats.

Shiraz
Shiraz

Ah hell, their Britney rage is is nothing compared to their feelings about Madonna. Want to identify a MRA or misogynist in meatspace? Mention Madonna and just sit back and watch. A few years ago, when she broke some bones after falling off one of her horses, there were shitlords here and there celebrating her injuries. Her crime? Being one of the most famous women in the world — and by god, she seems to know it. That’s a hanging offense, don’t ya know?

volt
volt

As if only getting a scant thirteen million dollars in the settlement wasn’t enough, here’s even more proof that society treats Kevin Federline as disposable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMRfjgctgdE

lurker
lurker

Incorrect spelling of people’s names can be dumbassery, or it can be a passive-aggressive way of disrespecting them (see: Fox News continually referring to the “Democrat Party”). Hard to tell with MRAs.

I think it’s the latter.
People have been referring to her as Brittany loads of times, especially during her break-down.
Since she is so well-known (not to mention that the stories these people commented on usually had her freaking name in the headline), I always assumed that it was used as an insult. Kinda like “Oh look at her, so fake she can’t even use her real name!” which is doubly hilarious since Wikipedia just told me that her real name actually is Britney.
As for the complaint in the OP? Yeah, it sure is unfair that a backup-dancer who latched onto a multi-millionaire ended up with only 13 million plus monthly child support for two kids after the divorce. /sarcasm

Biot
Biot

Since the topic seems to be about jumping spiders, here’s a spider that’s a king of the rumba beat:

lana
lana

Yep …a blaring example of the gender inequality in our divorce laws .

emilygoddess
emilygoddess

@Auggz, even when my arachnophobia was really bad, I thought jumping spiders were cute. I like the way they’ll drop down a thread in the middle of the room and just hang there for ages.

@feintone

Kittehserf now I just want to donate a million pounds worth of balls of yarn to the cats at my local animal rescue center (where my family got our cat). then watch them all play with it.

I’m going to take this otherwise innocuous comment as an opportunity to hop on my soapbox and dispel a common myth: yarn is not a good cat toy. Anything string-ish, like yarn or ribbon or actual string, can be a real hazard to a cat. If they start swallowing it, they have no way to bite it off, so they just keep swallowing. The results are…not good.

How about a million dollars’ worth of catnip mice? Or the plastic rings from milk jugs – my cats love those.

@Kittehs, you’re my hero! I’ve had a gif from that herding cats video for ages, but I had no idea what it was from.

@salacious

“Your focus is off, that’s all. We see it a lot on this board — folks who don’t understand that the only issue is the double standard, not whether a thing is right or wrong”

But…you can’t fix the double standard until you decide which is the “right” outcome, so you can work toward it. I know MRAs are famous for not actually accomplishing shit, but it’s not often they just come out and say “we’d rather complain than change anything”.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

Interesting he chose this couple as his example, considering that the court granted Federline’s petition for sole physical custody of their children, siding with him and against Spears, who had also petitioned the court for custody. She also pays him $20K per month in child support.

I THOUGHT THAT NEVER HAPPENS, MRA’S!!

Salacious
Salacious

It’s almost like they purposefully choose to talk about cases/situations that most people would never see misandry and try to argue their case as hard as possible. Not sure what that’s about, maybe hoping people will be like “woah, you’re right!” and then see misandry everywhere. It mainly makes them and their grievances look outrageously silly. They’d be better served focusing on real problems, of which there are some (not that I have any hopes for that).

kittehserf

emilygoddess, it was sheerest luck finding that video! I was poking around on John Scalzi’s blog yesterday and someone had linked it there. 🙂

Good point about yarn and kitties. Mine only get to poke around the wool I’m actually knitting with (because it’s no fun otherwise) and I wouldn’t leave them with a ball of yarn.

Argenti Aertheri

How about kitties and pipe cleaners? Kitty loves killing them (and then depositing them in the dog’s water dish when she’s declared that one good and dead)

Only time they seem to go in her mouth is to control them for a better pounce.

Of course, my father insists that chicken bones and the chocolate in my granola and onion and garlic are all safe in small doses (I may’ve convinced him on chicken bones after having to pry one out of the dog’s jaw) — my brother and I both threaten him with bodily harm when he pulls that shit.

wordsp1nner

One of the women in my fiber arts group (who is ironically a vet) had to take one of her cats in for major surgery after he ingested a bunch of tatting thread (really strong cotton). It cost her 700 dollars (for non-Americans, that’s my rent for a one-bedroom apartment). It’s made me a bit paranoid about my own yarny pursuits.

Pan is currently fighting with the sleeve on my warm jacket, which at least he’d have trouble swallowing 🙂

AK
AK

Yep, when I was a vet tech we saw a bunch of cases of cats ingesting string/yarn and needing surgery to get it removed. I think it’s okay if you’re closely watching the cat and can stop them from ingesting it, but they should never be allowed to play with it when not under close supervision.

deniseeliza
deniseeliza

No, see, you don’t understand. Good thing happens to women, bad thing happens to men = horrible bigotry double standard of doom. Good thing happens to men, bad thing happens to women = that’s just an immutable law of nature, stop complaining already.

feintone

@emily yeah sorry about that. honestly I’ve never given a cat yarn to play with. glad I’m aware now though. my cat loves to claw at my jumper sleeves and socks at any opportunity, when there are no mice to kill.

lana
lana

No ,see ,you don’t understand .Good things happen to a man = it probably would have been even better for a woman.Therefore misandry .

Bina
Bina

As far as I can see, K-Fed and his douchebag hat ARE misandry. Personified.

kittehserf

Is it misandry to sit in a rocking chair with a cat on one’s lap, instead of doing something for a man, even if one is talking to said man about his earlier life?

lana
lana

If Britainey had been married to a woman ,her wife would have gotten more than sole legal and physical custody of their children .And she would have gotten every asset of hers .And Britainey would have had to work for the rest of her life paying for her ex -wifes “rent” until the day she died while Britainey lived in a homeless shelter eating dog food.

lana
lana

Absolutely. That’s the ultimate man hating shit. What are you going to do next ? Rob him at gunpoint?

Bina
Bina

Cats and rockers? MISANDRYYYYY!!! How dare you rock something on your lap that ain’t a penis?

kittehserf

I knew it! I knew it! I had this niggling fear that sitting talking to (or listening to) a man instead of feeing or sexing him would be misandry. Even if the guy in question is happy sitting talking and doesn’t care much for sammiches anyway. (He’s either a mangina or just doesn’t Know How Terrible This Is.)

Can a king be a mangina?

Ally S

Kitteh, omg @ Fat Steve in the “Pigtails and pedophiles” Feministe thread… X_X

Bina
Bina

Oh, that reminds me. I found the funniest meme on Facebook today. It’s a photo of a sandwich, captioned: “Good thing we don’t have to hunt for our food anymore. I have no idea where sandwiches live.” I LOL’d. MISAAAAANDRYYYYY!!!

kittehserf

Ally, I know! It’s just AAAAAAGH with his posts there and the abortion thread. WTF?

Bina – LOL hunting sammiches, worse than hunting the haggis!

feintone

@Kittehserf never underestimate the haggis. or the snark. or even Haggisnark, the most deadly creature known to man.

Argenti Aertheri

Some foods I totally understand, straight meat products — cut a bit off, roast it, simple — the sorts of fruits and veggies you pull off a tree // out of the ground // whatever and bite into. And then there are the things that seem like something went off but fuck it it tastes good.

And then there’s haggis. Who the FUCK first managed to invent that?!

Kitteh // Ally — link?

kittehserf

Carroll missed a great opportunity when he didn’t write the Hunting of the Haggis.

So did McGonagall.

Cthulhu's Intern

“Weird Al” Yankovic is a misandrist:

It starts here, Argenti:

I see Steve’s now got into defensive mode.

AK
AK

@Argenti: http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2013/12/06/pigtails-and-pedophiles/ (I looked it up after the mention :D)

Also off-topic but I feel like such a terrible pet owner because my GSD just freaking tore open my little puppy’s (the one in my gravatar) ear. It was so stupid of me, I fed them and I always stand in the room watching them because, well, we have 5 dogs and that’s a recipe for disaster if you let them finish unsupervised. But today one of the other dogs really had to go out right after he finished so I stepped into the other room to let him out, and my stupid GSD finished his dinner and moved in on my puppy’s food, and her being all scrappy she tried to defend it, and by the time I was able to get in and separate them her ear needed 8 stitches. 🙁 I know better than to do that, but I thought it was okay and now my poor puppy is hurt. I feel so awful.

kittehserf

Oh, AK, hugs for you and puppy (and Stern Looks for GSD). It doesn’t sound like you could have done anything to prevent that – other dog had to go. 🙁

AK
AK

Thanks kittehs. It really caught me off guard because he’s usually a great “big brother”…he and the pup are super cuddly and best buds. I know that doesn’t mean much when they’re scrapping over food (and he’s 85 pounds to her 25, so I doubt he even meant to hurt her), but man…

On the plus side, she’s curled up in my lap and seems quite content (if slightly drugged), so I’m stuck browsing the internet for the evening. 😉

Also can I just say I’m really happy to be able to comment here again? I don’t know why but WordPress decided it hated me for like 3 weeks and wouldn’t let me comment anywhere. I missed you guys. 😉

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

And then there’s haggis. Who the FUCK first managed to invent that?!

Somebody really freaking hungry, is my guess. Although, there are similar products in a lot of cultures across the world. I had it in Scotland (with neeps and taties) and it was really quite good, in a cold-weather, comfort-food kind of way.

kittehserf

I wondered where you’d been, AK!

Just think: now your Furrinatus is established on your lap, it would be dereliction of duty to get up and disturb her. So playing on the internetz for the evening is virtuous.

Unimaginative – I tried haggis in Scotland back in the day. I thought it’d be something different (don’t ask me how) but it was just like mince meat that’d been smothered in pepper, then had pepper added, plus a bit of pepper.

I just ate the neeps and tatties.

Haggis is presumably one of those things that comes about when people don’t have much meat and can’t afford to waste any of the bits.

Ally S

Yeah, karak, Fat Steve, and ldouglas have been very condescending lately. And it’s a shame, too, because they often have smart things to say otherwise.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I quite liked the haggis on our Scotland trip!

@Kittehs, I missed your question yesterday. I put my hairbrush on Bailey for about 3 seconds and then he looked at me, affronted, so I removed it.

Viscaria – so, Bailey isn’t going in for this athletic endeavour. 😀

Ally – ldouglas strikes me as condescending most of the time, whether or not zie has something smart to say on any given occasion. Steve just doesn’t seem to have much judgement about when is not a good time to be flippant, generally, but he’s being a right pain at the moment. EG made a very good point about how he does not get to impose his narrow definitions of the words on everyone else.

feintone

Ally S

Yeah, he has a long history of that, AFAIK.

BTW, EG is totally one of my favorite commentators there! I don’t think I’ve ever had any major disagreements with her. Folks like her are why I still hang out at Feministe.

CassandraSays

I’ve never liked Fat Steve much, honestly. He can’t seem to stop splaining, whatever the topic is.

Haggis is edible as long as you don’t think too much about what’s in it. As far as Scottish comfort food goes, though, I’d vote for one of the soups over haggis any day.

AK
AK

Damn straight. Y’all are stuck with me for the evening!

That Feministe thread…wow. I haven’t been reading that site for awhile (well, not the comments anyway), and it’s kind of reminding me why. It’s keeping me busy at least, and there are some awesome commenters in there to counterbalance the bad!