kitties off topic open thread

Happy Outraged Selfie Cat Day

What?! I am outraged!
Why, I never!

Well, I know not all my readers are American, and I can’t presume all my American readers celebrate Thanksgiving, but I think we can all be thankful for this cat. Oh cat, you act so outraged, but I’m guessing that at least one time in your life you walked on someone while they were asleep, and possibly sat on their head, so the grand karma wheel of life is even.

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

Oops, typo. We WEREN’T fragrance free enough. Pretty much, the owners had extreme allergies so you couldn’t stay there unless you’d used non-scented uber-fancy eco laundry detergent on your stuff for the past month…

Sadly, I’ve run into this a lot lately, mostly from my sister city to the south southwest. Here in my city, we’re funky and feisty, primarily working class and young/hip but not yet economically successful. The People’s Republic to the south is full of pretentious, self-righteous blowhards who can’t be bothered to say “no, thanks”, instead they have to pass judgment on every one of your choices at great length to demonstrate just how morally and ethically superior to you they are, in every possible dimension.

Of course what they usually end up demonstrating is just what a bunch of a$$holes they are.

By which I mean to say, LBT, I feel your pain and I empathize. I wish I could put you and the hubs up in the spare bedroom but Housmate’s brother is visiting for the holidays. He used to be a nice guy, but about five years ago he became a Nice GuyTM and now I can’t stand the sound of his voice (usually droning on and on and on about the deficiencies of ‘modern women’). Luckily they are all at the parental unit’s house for the night and will most likely not be back until well after I’ve gone to bed!

kittehserf

I had the sudden image of the jobs these folk have had:

Running a cattery

House cleaning

Gardening

Pest control

Dog walking

kittehserf

“So, [housmate’s brother], let me tell you a couple of things: about the theory of the common denominator in your failed relationships, and the deficiencies of the NiceGuyTM and his passive-aggressive whiny bullshit. Sit comfortably, it could take a while.”

RE: kittehserf

what sort of twit gets into the B&B business if they’ve allergies that affect them so badly? Way to make a non-goer of the business.

Enh, in this region, there are plenty of folks with the disposable income and eco-mindedness to get fancy uber-safe laundry detergent. I, alas, am just not one of them right now. (I could only vouch for the past two weeks, not the past month.)

RE: gillyrosebee

Yeeeaaah. Like, I can understand, having horrible allergies really sucks! My skin is sensitive and will break out in itchy blisters for no real reason, so I really sympathize with not wanting that in the house. It was just a major bummer. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sensitivity that big before! D:

I’ll find SOMETHING. I am fucking DETERMINED to have a nice romantic getaway with my husband.

And ew, NiceGuyTM visitor. Those are always a pain.

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

Well, it really was one failed relationship, and when he’s drunk enough he’ll not only admit it but lay it out pretty honestly. He dated a woman for almost five years who he loved deeply and wanted to spend the rest of his life with, as she did with him. But her dad developed an aggressive cancer and wanted to be able to walk both of his daughters down the aisle before he died (they were giving him about three to six months to get that done, he actually made it almost seven). HoBro didn’t want to break up, but he didn’t want to get married either, so he dumped her.

Now he has OMG HILARIOUS stories of all the women he picks up in bars (gag) and takes home to bang (GAG) and whose behavior, personal grooming and intellectual ability he then dissects at great length. And when he gets drunk enough he will talk about how he sees ex-girlfriend all the time (they work in the same rather specialized industry) and how she’s happy and successful and having her second baby and how he wishes he could get back with her, and how dumping her was the worst mistake of his entire life.

I get whiplash from going from being appalled to feeling sorry for him to being appalled AND disgusted in the space of a few minutes.

kittehserf

Sounds like ex girlfriend dodged a bullet there. He sounds about as appealing as sun-ripened dog turds.

I don’t suppose he could possibly have explained at the time that he didn’t want to marry? What was her opinion on the matter?

kittehserf

Also, what’s the bet his tales of women in bars are at least partly made up? He sounds like a bog-standard MRA loser, and I loathe maudlin drunks. My father’s one, he was always feeling sorry for himself and his self-inflicted woes, the moron.

RE: gillyrosebee

OUCH. Man, what a story. But it sounds like he was totally in charge of his fate; he dumped her, he screwed up, she married someone else. (Though I dunno, I think I would’ve preferred to dump someone too hastily than MARRY them too hastily.) Dude, move on. Shit happens. There are plenty of people in the world. You will live to dump another day.

I’m generally not too sympathetic to NiceGuysTM. We had a freakin’ brigade of them that I couldn’t get rid of them through high school and college. The amount of awful poetry I had to read after specifically saying I wasn’t into poetry…

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

She didn’t marry, she’s now completely ruining the world as a single mother!!

And honestly, I think she’d get back with him in a heartbeat if he would just drop the crap and ask her. She was even willing to fake the whole thing just so that her dad could walk her down the aisle because she adored him more than she needed to be married per se. But HoBro’s fundamental inablity to ‘bend his principles’ for anyone, even the woman he acknowledges is/was the love of his life means that he bought and paid for his misery and so now he owns (and deserves) it. The fact that he could change it (and he knows it) if he chose to do so makes it hard for me to feel sympathetic for too long.

I don’t doubt the stories if only because he starts out with bravado but by the end he betrays just how miserable and alone he is (and how much of his current misery is self-chosen and self-inflicted as a result of comparing every single one of those women to the girlfriend he dumped) by the stories he tells. I think he intends them as ‘bragging’ but each and every one of them reveals just how pathetic his life is more than anything objectively ‘wrong’ with the women.

I do feel badly for those women, though. Objectively, HoBro is not unattractive, though the mileage is starting to rack up, and he has a stable carreer that he is good at and well respected for. But he is so twisted by his own unhappiness and his regret that he will never be anything but toxic for them.

Ally S

Ugh, I know a few people like that and they piss me off to no end. Those folks tend to be some of the worst misogynists out there, in my experience.

LBT

Great news, everyone! I FINALLY got us a place to stay! And it’s called the StarLight Llama! It’s a little pricey and crunchy granola, but… come on, it’s just for two nights, and I really want to do something nice for hubby. (Especially since this kept getting delayed and I was still stupid and groggy from being eaten by subconscious on his birthday last week.) We can afford it, and it’ll be a lot more memorable and fun than Best Western. It’s a bit of a ways out, but that’ll be okay too.

😀 I am SO PSYCHED for this weekend! We’re going to be schmoopy and kitschy and gay and it’ll be FABULOUS.

LBT

Also, ugh, gillyrosebee, he sounds like a right prat with his head firmly wedged in his ass. Hopefully he’ll get over himself one day; I can imagine few fates sadder than living in the past for years and years.

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

@LBT Hooray for schmoopy and kitschy!!!

gillyrosebee
gillyrosebee

Yep, he’s the kind of guy who desperiately needs an optirectomy (to sever the connection between his eyeballs and his a$$hole and get rid of his shitty outlook on life). Sadly, I think he’s also the kind of person who would rather be right than be happy and so I don’t hold out much hope.

baileyrenee
baileyrenee

I really can’t feel bad for NiceGuys like that. That story and attitude seem extremely common for them; they fuck up a relationship, regret the fuck up but refuse to admit they were wrong to the person they apparently love, and wallow in self pity while trying to cover up their feelings with asshole behavior. I’m happy to say that I’ve never had to hang out with very many of them.

What an awful time that woman probably went through.

baileyrenee
baileyrenee

Congrats LBT!

kittehserf

Optirectomy.

OPTIRECTOMY.

Will you marry me?

I haven’t even little sympathy for NiceGuysTM. My sympathy for them is exactly zero.

And that’s on a day I’m feeling kind.

LBT

Yeah, it’s weird. The kind of behavior you describe, gillyrosebee, is stuff I associate with high school and adolescence, not adulthood. It’s weird. I have had a rough go of it lately, but I would still waaaay rather be me than him!

kittehserf

Distracted by optirectomies, I forgot to say YAY LBT!

Send those kids to bed early and PARTAYYYY.

LBT

Yeah, hubby pretty much has full intention of shutting us in the bedroom as long as possible. And although the place is a little far out from the bus stop (eek, six miles on foot… that or a cab) it looks cozy and fun to hike around in, and it’s not like me and hubby are planning to spend that much time in town. We’ll check out a little craft fair on Sunday, and that’s about it! Otherwise, our time is our own.

Damn, but I look forward to it!

Kobun37

Hey, you’d probably be outraged too if someone was holding you up while squeezing your nads.

I’m thankful both of my cats don’t get offended easily. The only time I get dirty looks is when they go to the vet.

Buttercup Q. Skullpants
Buttercup Q. Skullpants

That was exactly my reaction to the photo, too!

Happy Catsgiving to all. The twins and I just got back from my cousins’ house, leaving behind a broken bell and a large amount of throwup. I think our departure was one of the things she was most thankful for.

cloudiah

Yay, LBT! Have a wonderful, schmoopy, and restorative weekend with the llamas.

I am in a bit of a food coma. We usually have a gathering of 15 people, but this year we expanded to 30. I made the same amount of mashed potatoes I make every year for 15 people (because we weren’t told in advance about the expansion), but somehow there were enough for everyone. It was like a miracle. (Or maybe it was the extra salads, sweet potatoes, green beans, rolls, rice stuffing, and rainbow layered jello salad that were added in. Oh, and the TWO turkeys.)

cloudiah

(I mean with hubby AND the llamas, of course.)

kittehserf

The feeding of the thirty, starring cloudiah! Never mind yer loaves and fishes, this is serious food. 🙂

MEZ
MEZ

@gillyrosebee; ever seem to notice the connection between guys who don’t want to get married on principle and being a self-interested, misogynist ass? He was never a genuine nice guy. He just is pissed that he couldn’t have his cake and eat it too.

@Toddles Manboob; oooooohhhh, that’s not an Elizabeth Warren reference, is it? Admit it, that whole thing came down to a racist mess once it became clear that she didn’t use her small NA ancestry for affirmative action at work/school but to join a club for people who had NA ancestry. Cultural appropriation is using someone else’s culture for some benefit to you, right? 🙂 It’s pretty clear that Elizabeth Warren didn’t do that.

I had a great turkey day. It started out rough as FIL’s car battery died in the morning and hubby disappeared forever to go pick him up and bring home some breakfast. After he did I had to run out and get more butternut squash as the ones I just got had mysteriously rotted. >< So I was running late for roasting my butternut and therefore running late to lunch with my hubby, kids, and MIL. But after that we had a nice lunch with turkey, stuffing, turnip&carrot mash, sweet potato, butternut squash casserole, garlic green beans, pecan rolls, mashed potatoes, and homemade apple and pumpkin pie. My MIL talked about pet birds with my oldest daughter and hubby was happy to watch TV. Afterwards I left the kids with hubby and brought some of the food to my parents as they couldn't go out. I managed to visit them for several hours with no kids, which is nothing short of a miracle. 😀 It was really a very nice visit, which is so important because this is probably the last Thanksgiving my mother will be alive. 🙁

Turkey day was always my favorite holiday. To me it's much more relaxed than Christmas or Easter, not to mention that the food is so much better. I know a lot of Native Americans don't like it, but I always look at it as the one moment in Wampanoag/English history that wasn't complete shit. 🙁

Happy Outraged Cat Day, everybody. 🙂

Seranvali
Seranvali

Kittehserf said:

“Seranvali – not to mention that the whole idea of the First Fleet was hardly something to be proud of, either.”

This is very true. We had seriously unpleasant beginnings and frankly, after the last election I’m not too hopeful in our future either.

leftwingfox

MEZ: I personally thought it was a reference to Jonny Depp as Tonto.

Happy Black Friday/Tryptophan Recovery/Buy Nothing Day!

Bina
Bina

Cat: “Heeeeey! Watch the genitaaaaalia, maaaaaaan!” Or maybe just “Put me dowwwwwwn!”

Yup, I’m still laughing like a gooneybird.

MEZ
MEZ

@leftwingfox, I forgot that Jonny Dep is 1/16 Cherokee as well. Seems like there’s been a lot of controversy over different people being 1/16 Cherokee in the last few years. Tonto looked like a pile of crap, although apparently being 1/16 Cherokee means you can’t be racist as hell?

Malitia
Malitia

Happy Outraged Selfie Cat Day!
(I know I’m late, but 1) There is no holiday here today and the closest thing we have to Thanksgiving is on the 20th of August. 2) I’m busy copying 400GB of stuff between removable hard-drives on a laptop with overheating problems… yep, it goes slooooooowly.)

NonServiam
NonServiam

Um, for anyone in need of support during all the holiday stuff.

So many feelings!

freemage
freemage

So, after we discovered that my brother’s family were pretty much all working (at different hours, no less) on T-Day and that my mom was staying home this year, the wife and I called up my best friend and his wife, and made arrangements to go out there for the annual Glutton-Fest.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Turkey, garlic-mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, real in-the-bird stuffing, a HUGE turkey that actually cooked faster than expected and was cooked to perfection, salad, side-bowls of pepperoncini and olives, broccoli (with no expectation that I’d eat any), both real cranberry sauce and the funky canned stuff that looks like red Jell-o, homemade Hawaiian sweet-bread that had a crust so sweet it tasted like a cookie, and homemade apple and pumpkin pies (the last item was our contribution).

Then we went into the living room and their girls quizzed me on My Little Pony trivia; I got a B, I think.

lana

Why do you assume its “nads’ being squeezed ? (wink)

Love the cat! And yes I have cats (past and present).Lots to them and the scars to prove it. (physically and emotionally) And I wouldn’t trade that experience for the world.

kittehserf

Too right. I saw someone refer to George W. Abbott in the Age the other day, and that’s being kind. This scuzzbag’s a menace. I must admit I’m getting a certain schadenfreude watching the Liberals offend one country after another, fucking morons that they are, but it’s not going to do the rest of us any good in the long run. And reneging on Gonski … yeah, right, but it was Gillard who was the liar, Mr “Don’t believe anything I say unless it’s scripted”.

Fingers crossed this is a one-term government and Abbott gets the boot he sorely deserves.

hellkell
hellkell

Thanksgiving turned into Drunksgiving here. My best friend came up from Houston, we had much food, wine, dessert, and capped the evening off with a big ol’ fire in the chimnea/punk rock sing-a-long.

Today I am feeling way too old for that nonsense.

CassandraSays

I fell asleep during Casino Royale. Blame it on the wine.

hellkell
hellkell

There was a point during the festivities that I had to check my eyelids for holes, but it was a short nap.

LOL!!! Hellkell

I’m from Dallas .You sound like you’re from my area.

We do Chimnea all summer(and when weather permits)!

Yesterday just fire place.

kittehserf

hellkell – lemme guess, you’re feeling about a decade or so older than yesterday?

Sounds like most manboobzers had pretty good Thanksgivings. I’m glad. 🙂

Tracy

Happy TG, ‘mericans!

LBT – yay on the room! And LOVE my story (Top of the Food Chain) – hope you guys checked it out 🙂

So open thread, cats… hoping to get some advice. I help my neighbour take care of a feral cat colony in our neighbourhood. She’s the official caretaker; our city has a feral colony registry and some fairly good resources for feral cats.

Anyway, I have the evening feeding shift… and we’ve attracted a family of raccoons. Looks to be a mum and 4 young, um, cubs? Pups? They aren’t fighting or anything, just stealing the cat’s food. Sometimes a raccoon and a puss will eat together; other times the raccoons get grabby and snatch the food dishes away.

Anyone have any ideas on how to… I don’t know, deal with raccoons? (They are super cute but the pusses need food more than they do)

kittehserf

I don’t know how to deal with raccoons (obvs) but that’s worrying, because they can kill cats, or kittens, at least.

lana

Only thing I can advise is make sure the kitties have rabies shots. Raccoon’s have a fairly high rate of rabies infestation today . Baby raccoon’s around here are called “kits” .

Have the feral’s been captured given rabies shots and released back?

Oh and Happy TGing!!!!

Also Tracy??

Call the local animal control and ask their advice.They are usually very informative.

My main concern personally IME would be protecting the feral’s from rabies.

hellkell
hellkell

lana: I’m in Austin. It was perfect chimnea weather last night. Thankfully none of us idiots set the backyard on fire.

kittehs: yes, feeling ten years older, but pie for dinner helped!

Maybe trap the racoons and relocate them or call animal control? We get ’em sometimes. It’s amazing the way the little boogers can climb, we’ve had them fighting on the roof before.

lana

HA! I love Austin ..Keep Austin weird …(sorry )

kittehserf

Pie for dinner should help! We had chicken and leek pie for dinner last night, with boiled spuds and veggies. Yum!

Also Hellkell,

Dallas has had beautiful weather too the past 3 or 4 days .Crisp sunny around 65 70 for a hi.Blue skies white puffy clouds.

I just open the windows .Haven’t done the chiminea in a few weeks.

Cheers!