kitties off topic open thread

Happy Outraged Selfie Cat Day

What?! I am outraged!
Why, I never!

Well, I know not all my readers are American, and I can’t presume all my American readers celebrate Thanksgiving, but I think we can all be thankful for this cat. Oh cat, you act so outraged, but I’m guessing that at least one time in your life you walked on someone while they were asleep, and possibly sat on their head, so the grand karma wheel of life is even.

SandyH
SandyH

Indignant little shits, aren’t they? I’m currently nursing a feral kitten back to health, getting her ready to rehome, and last night when photographing her it was no end of the stink eye.

serrana
serrana

Good timing. I just got through stuffing my face. Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!

We have four cats in the house right now. My son and his girlfriend are visiting her family out of town for five days and we’re watching their two kitties, as they don’t trust them to their negligent roommates. They’re all getting along pretty well, except Leaf and Nilla, and that’s just been a couple of hisses on Nilla’s part. I think having two from each family helps even things out.

Bina
Bina

I’m Canadian, so our Thanksgiving was last month, and I can’t take selfies (iPad!), but thank stupid narcissist boy for this hilarious LOLcat, anyway.

kittehserf

Outraged Selfie Cat Day should certainly be a thing.

This isn’t a selfie in the usual sense, but Katie was definitely outraged:

Mongoose
Mongoose

I’m Irish so no Thanksgiving for me. But Happy Thanksgiving to all the American Manboobz readers!

coffeeyum
coffeeyum

I’ve got three cats in the home atm. Bossy little shits. I’m about to go finish up the giblet gravy. I’m using cornstarch t avoid lumps and raw flour flavor. Any tips? Happy Thanksgiving, btw, you USians. ๐Ÿ˜›

coffeeyum
coffeeyum

*to

Ally S

I technically already ate Thanksgiving stuff last Saturday. As usual, my dad did nearly all of the cooking, and when people wanted to help him out he refused. It’s consistent with his martyr complex – he likes manipulating people that way. I wanted to help him out, but then I remembered how angry and super-stressed out my dad is every time he cooks. I don’t want him to scream in my ear while I’m trying to wash dishes (yes, that has happened before).

Though I hate to admit it, the food was pretty good. I’m glad that I managed to enjoy the food while staying as far away from him as possible (since we all ate at this large park). Anyway, aside from the food, I really don’t care about Thanksgiving, and I certainly don’t like celebrating it because of its history. And since I’m part Native American, I have yet another reason to feel uncomfortable with celebrating it.

gillyrosebee

Glad you got to enjoy turkey, Ally. I’m with you on not wanting to participate in or even recognize Thanksgiving. I do love roast turkey, though, and most of the other comfort foods in the Turkey Day toolbox. Maybe one of these days you can come to my house: if you are willing to do dishes, the only thing I’ll be yelling is encouragement!

Ally S

I mean, I hope I’m not engaging in any kind of appropriation or anything – I’m only 1/8th Native American. But that still makes me feel even more averse to Thanksgiving as a holiday.

Toddles Manboob
Toddles Manboob

@Ally S: I think you’re clear so long as you’re not “1/16 Cherokee”, the official ethnicity of cultural appropriation.

Seranvali
Seranvali

Ally,

I know what you mean. You don’t need to have an indigenous ancestor to feel that way, either. I get really angry and upset on “Australia Day” because of our history with the Aborigines. Worse, not only were they abused in the past but they’re still being treated badly so I don’t think we have much to be proud of. I loathe nationalist festivals anyway. I tend to stand with George Bernard Shaw on the subject.

kittehserf

Seranvali – not to mention that the whole idea of the First Fleet was hardly something to be proud of, either.

Argenti Aertheri

Mmm Turkey Day! My father more or less behaved, no one invaded my cranberry sauce, and my brother did not bite into a turkey leg while carving it. One of those is a lie, and amazingly it isn’t the first one! (Seriously dude, finish cutting it first!)

Toddles Manboob — I totally get the “my great-great-grandmother was a Cherokee princess” thing is complete fucking appropriation and so many degrees of wrongness. But I give some side-eye to short handing it as “1/16th Cherokee” — I’m 1/16th Blackfoot and fairly pasty and raised white working class, so I can’t exactly be the judge here, but I think my question is whether you can appropriate anger at historical injustice.

As for the OP, as my brother would put itโ€ฆ”you gotta support the butt!” // “you don’t got the butt, why you no have kitty’s butt?” (I swear he reverts to a 5 year old around the cat)

kittehserf

Argenti – your brother’s just reacting to Cat Proximity. Perfectly normal response.

I’m disappointed, I thought your father said he was going to march off to Macca’s and have his dinner there. Promises, promises …

Alice Sanguinaria

Yay, kitty-selfies! *nod*

Today on turkey day, I’m traveling! Yay!

Still dunno what’s going to happen for dinner though.

Travelling for fun, I hope, Alice! ๐Ÿ™‚

gillyrosebee

Okay, I have an outraged cat, though there aren’t pictures because I was too busy trying to pry her off the turkey carcass (left to cool on the counter in the kitchen before I break down the last of the edible bits from it for soup) to grab the camera. I went into the other room to answer a phone call and came back to find Evie straddling the carcass and trying, as best she could (it’s easily as big as she is) to drag it off the counter. I’d be angry, but the spectacle, and the growly sounds she made as I tried to disentangle her, were just too funny.

Priceless, gillyrosebee, priceless! ๐Ÿ˜€

Alice Sanguinaria

kittehs – Well, if you call going home for free food fun, sure.

I can’t wait to give my brother this book though. Zeus Grants Stupid Wishes: The No-Bullshit Guide to World Mythology. I cracked up.

gillyrosebee

kittehs, I eventually had to deploy the only weapon that could break the bond of desire between a cat and a turkey. Yep, I opened a can of tuna.

gillyrosebee

And now I need a change of clothes and a drink.

Alice Sanguinaria

No! Not the TUNA! That’s my weaknesssssssss!!!!!11!

– Said gillyrosebee’s kitty

kittehserf

Tuna, the Kryptonite of kitties!

(Well, most kitties. Mads seems impervious.)

Alice – Hmm, well, free food’s always good. And that book title is perfect. Zeus had a really warped sense of humour.

Thatโ€™s my weaknesssssssss!!!!!11!

It was a close thing for a minute there. She clearly wanted the can, but she was not willing to let the turkey sternum out of her mouth. She’s locked in the bathroom at the moment, because when she calms down I’m gonna need to give her a bit of a bath. She has turkey goo all over her tummy. I’m sure by the time I go in there, she’ll have cleaned some of it up, but she’s still going to go in the tub, and I can only hope that the tryptophan will have kicked in by then.

kittehserf

So, you’re having a memorable Thanksgiving!

gillyrosebee

So, youโ€™re having a memorable Thanksgiving!

That is one way to look at it.

And now, because I have committed an even worse sin (putting a cat on the wrong side of a closed door), I am being treated to The Ring Cycle in feline, with Adora on the hallway side adding accompaniment.

Viscaria
Viscaria

I can’t stop staring at this fantastic picture.

toujoursgai

I got to have Thanksgiving with my aunt and uncle, owners of the Perpetually Outraged Kitty. They keep insisting she’s a sweet cat, no matter how many times she hisses and swipes at their guests. The powers of Furrinati mind control, I guess.

gillyrosebee – ha, who said memorable had to be good? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hmm, the Ring Cycle, eh?

baileyrenee

Coffeeyum, that gravatar is amazing.

That is all.

Hmm, the Ring Cycle, eh?

Yep. Times two, one only slightly muffled by the bathroom door.

Fortunately, I have bourbon and apple cider and that helps.

Ally S

@baileyrenee

Hahahaha what a gravatar, Coffeeyum!

Fixed that for you. =P (Cookies to anyone who gets it.)

kittehserf

What is Coffeeyum’s gravatar about? People have mentioned it before and I’ve no idea what, or who, it is.

I don’t get it D:

halp

baileyrenee

Kitteh, it’s from the movie The Room, which the worst movie ever made, which makes it the best movie ever made!

Ally S

@baileyrenee

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDd7IaajjR8

It’s based on a quote from The Room, which is an infamously terrible movie.

baileyrenee

Oh my goodness, I’m a moron.

I was going to say the avatar was tearing me apart too. I can’t believe I didn’t get it.

I love you Ally.

Ah, righto.

Myoo
Myoo

Now this is a holiday I can get behind. Happy Outraged Selfie Cat Day to all.

Also, I understand it’s currently Hannukah, so happy Hannukah too, if you celebrate that.

LBT
LBT

Oh hi kitty. *pats cat, grabs flowers, leaves*

Alas, our current crash space provider’s cat has taken ill. He was sick the past couple days, and now he seems in pain, so unfortunately, our friend is spending tonight at the vet hospital. ๐Ÿ™ Hopefully the cat is okay.

As for me, I’m kinda bummed. It took three tries, but I FINALLY got my damn bus tickets for my weekend with hubby celebrating our anniversary… only to find we can’t get a goddamn room! We’ve now had three B&Bs that can’t host us, the most recent because we were fragrance-free enough, and I’m starting to worry we’re going to spend our anniversary in freakin’ Best Western or something. C’mon, I just want a nice little room where we can pretend we’re middle-class for two days!

Viscaria
Viscaria

Sucks ๐Ÿ™ I hope you guys find a place.

kittehserf

Here’s another Outraged Selfie Cat pic: my sister with Mads.

D’aww, that kitty!

Sounds rough LBT. What does “we were fragrance-free enough” mean though?

gillyrosebee

@LBT That sucks, and I hope you find a place!

@kittehs I love it. Mads is all, “DAMMIT HUMAN!!” though if she’s anything like my Evie, she’s purring the whole time!

And, speaking of Evie, she has had her tummy washed and she is OMG NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT!!! Despite her best efforts, I did not get bitten, though I have a nifty new scratch along my forearm.

LBT
LBT

RE: baileyrenee

Oops, typo. We WEREN’T fragrance free enough. Pretty much, the owners had extreme allergies so you couldn’t stay there unless you’d used non-scented uber-fancy eco laundry detergent on your stuff for the past month… which, since I’ve been couch-surfing, wasn’t something I could guarantee. So far, our attempts to get a room have been the following:

#1: family emergency, hasty cancellation
#2: never gets back to us
#3: not fragrance free enough

And now a lot of things are booked for the holiday. I still have hope, but it’s definitely becoming less of a “romantic getaway” and just a frantic scramble to find SOMEWHERE to sleep.

I am getting quite dismayed how much of my life recently can be summed up with that sentence.

Myoo
Myoo

That sucks, LBT, I hope you find a nice place to stay.

baileyrenee

Man. That’s annoying ๐Ÿ™ I hope everything works out.

And I’m sure y’all smell just lovely.

kittehserf

LBT – what sort of twit gets into the B&B business if they’ve allergies that affect them so badly? Way to make a non-goer of the business.

gillyrosebee – that’s Mads all over! She’ll frash the tail around, or lean back until she’s almost falling out of your arms, and have the staring into space OMG I AM GOING TO DIE look … and be purring the whole time.

So glad you have a new and exciting mark to impress family and friends and start interesting conversations. Cats are so thoughtful that way.

baileyrenee

Ha, I was thinking the same thing Kitteh. I’ve had to not wear perfume for work/school before, but all that sounds really extreme for that line of work.

1 2 3