a voice for men a woman is always to blame antifeminism empathy deficit FemRAs harassment misogyny MRA no games for girls none dare call it conspiracy oppressed men rape culture taking pleasure in women's pain threats TyphonBlue victrim blaming video games white knights

A Voice for Men’s Honey Badgers ask: Why hasn’t Anita Sarkeesian been harassed MORE?

A Voice for Men’s so-called “Honey Badgers” — its little super-team of female MRAs, led by blabby Canadian videoblogger Karen “GirlWritesWhat” Straughan — have a new theory about Anita Sarkeesian. And it’s a doozy.

Sarkeesian, you may recall, is a feminist cultural critic who’s faced pretty much nonstop harassment from misogynistic internet assholes since she launched a project to dissect sexist tropes in video games. AVFM has contributed, in its own special way, to this wave of harassment, with articles describing Sarkeesian as, among other things, a “moneygrubbing liar” and a “queen bee … girl interloper” in the world of video games; AVFM’s Dean Esmay also held her partially responsible, along with an assortment of other internet feminists, for the suicide of one Canadian Men’s Rights Activist.

The principals at AVFM have blamed her for — either inadvertently or deliberately — bringing this harassment on herself by going to 4chan and posting about her project. (As I noted in a previous post, there’s no actual evidence she ever did this.)

The Honey Badgers, for their part, are certain that getting harassed by 4chaners was  part of her devious plan all along.

In a teaser for their internet “radio” show tonight, the “Honey Badger” known as TyphonBlue writes:

Like all professional damsels in distress, Anita Sarkeesian had to choose a good dragon. Just the right looming shadow to fall over her delicate and fragile sensibilities; just the right cackling stage-villain to inspire her cries of helpless horror.

She chose 4-chan. An internet forum known for it’s underbelly of foul-tempered and hair-triggered trolls.

Then, after accusing Sarkeesian of inviting countless rape and death threats upon herself (and only a portion of it from 4channers, I should add), the Badgers take their weird conspiracy theory one step further:

But we at Honey Badger Radio have noticed something… odd. The wave of so-called hate that Anita received from her carefully chosen dragon, wasn’t really all that bad.

Yeah. A year and a half (so far) of pretty much unending harassment and baseless criticism, complete with violent threats directed not only at her but at other women who have defended her — that’s nothing.

Compared to 4-chan’s usual scorched earth strategy–raizing [sic] everything to the ground and pissing on the ashes, Anita got a little singed, like she sat too close to a campfire.

So we have to ask… Did 4-chan white knight Anita? I mean, come on. Was that the best 4 chan could do?

Yes, that’s right. The Honey Badgers are accusing those who sent rape and death threats to Anita Sarkeesian … of “white knighting” her.

I can’t even.

inurashii
inurashii

GWW needs a new mic. Ow.

damselindetech

What is this? I don’t even

freemage
freemage

Guh. Guh guh guh… wersrfoklarlsd.

Seriously, what the fucking fuck is WRONG with these people?

ltkessler

This make brain hurt

serrana
serrana

I can’t figure out their motivation for writing something like this. Is it that they want to prove how much they are “one of the guys”? Is it a test to see how much bullshit their audience will believe? Or are they just completely out of things to write about?

nilvoidwhy
nilvoidwhy

This can only be described as “willfully dense.”

bodycrimes

I wonder why these women do this. One of the HB – I don’t know their names – looks like a semi-geeky girl who thinks she’s being hugely counter-cultural and hip by doing this. She’s inciting hatred for fun. Maybe she’s naive about just what it is she’s thrown herself in with here.

cloudiah

Over on Reddit, typhonblue is claiming this is an example of humor.

It appears they understand humor in the same way Paul Elam understands satire.

inurashii
inurashii

typhonblue claims that it was a joke, comment gets upvoted

other person says that it doesn’t look like a joke, comment gets downvoted

another MRA explains that the joke is Anita (?) and that the post was serious (?)… comment gets upvoted

Trying to follow a Men’s Rights Thread is like playing a game of free association

Hyena Girl

So the short form of this is “The asshats at 4chan didn’t kill her and then defile her corpse so it can’t have been all that bad. How dare she complain when she’s still alive and all!!!” Or am I missing something here?

leftwingfox

I’ve stopped wondering when they’ll hit bottom, and started hoping they’ll hit magma.

sparky
sparky

If you have to explain the joke, then it’s not really funny.

Alice Sanguinaria

headjustimplodedintotenbilliongazzilionlittlebits.jpg

cloudiah

You humorless feminazis have no sense of humor!!!

Speaking of humor (smooth segue, eh?), someone on r/againstmensrights made a great drawing in response to the rhetorical question about whether or not r/amr has “gone too far.” Here is documentation of the only time r/amr has ever gone too far.

Feminists are SO MUCH funnier than MRAs & feMRAs.

leatapp
leatapp

That’s supposed to be funny?
These aren’t just horrible people, they’re stupid too. They seem to love showing off their awfulness and stupidity. What a hideous combination.

Bina
Bina

On behalf of all Canadian women, I apologize for this assholette. Any desert island in the middle of the Pacific is welcome to her, and all her MRA cronies, too.

Hyena Girl

Won’t someone think of those poor desert islands?

Brooked
Brooked

“The Sarkeesian Effect”. Does every off-hand observation they poop out have to be turned into pretentious faux-terminology?

Bina
Bina

ZOMG, that’s right! Those poor islands. First they’ll be despoiled by raving scat-munchers, and then, as global warming takes its toll, they’ll disappear into the Pacific, leaving nothing but an oily film and some floating fecal matter on the surface. Yikes! Perhaps a cave full of buried radioactive waste would be better?

Magnesium
Magnesium

According to WeirdAnimalReport.com’s report on Honey Badgers:

The mustelid family (which includes weasels, badgers, and skunks) is famously stinky, thanks to these powerful glands located on the animal’s rear end. Most mustelids are content to settle for strolling about in a stink cloud, with the additional ability to rub their anal glands against objects to scent mark their territory.

But the honey badger kicks it up a notch. It can actually turn its anal glands inside out, exposing victims to the full scent onslaught. Wikipedia describes this smell as “suffocating,” and adds that it is a smell powerful enough to subdue bees. Much the way that a human beekeeper will pacify the beehive by filling it with smoke, a honey badger will smoke the bees into submission with its butt.

So is this why they chose the name?

tinyorc

serrana:

[blockquote]I can’t figure out their motivation for writing something like this. Is it that they want to prove how much they are “one of the guys”?[/blockquote]

Their rhetoric really reminds of those girls who adopt the “one of the guys” identity when they are teenagers, and as a result start saying things like “Oh, I just don’t get on well with other girls, they’re all so bitchy and catty” and “Yeah, I just find it easier to be friends with guys because I’m so super chill, not like normal girls.” I know, because I was one of those girls. I also used to try to outdo the guys when it came to being crude/offensive/tough/whatever, because I always felt like I had something to prove, that I had to earn my place there. It was all born of insecurity and I grew out of it, but it still makes me cringe to think about it now.

It seems like exactly the same thing with their take on Sarkeesian. It’s like “Oh MRAs hate her and think the harassment campaign against her was justified? Yeah, yeah, well we LOATHE her. We DESPISE her. We hate her sooooooo much we think she should have been harassed even MORE. Yeah, we don’t think it went far enough! That’s extreme we are!”

Yup. Nothing to prove at all there.

hellkell
hellkell

The honey badgers (hello, tired meme) CAN’T think that Sarkeesian’s treatment was bad, because if they did, they’d have to start wondering what’s in store for them when Paul and the gang get tired of them.

hellkell
hellkell

Magnesium: it’s probably because of this, which went viral a couple years ago:

grumpycatisagirl

Extreme ugh-ness at “this helps out tell who doesn’t have a sense of humor” comment from typhonblue. You are extra horrible, typhonblue.

Tangentially related (women don’t long in gaming, women don’t belong in sports. . .) I just read about this in the San Francisco Chronicle . . . maybe it’s old news to some since it happened last week but . . . extreme ugh-ness again.

sparky
sparky

Brooked said:

Yes. I think they think it makes them sound smart, and gives some kind of scholarly cred to what is essentially, as you said, pretentious poop.

Shaenon

Wait. A year and a half after the Kickstarter campaign, people are still flipping out over a woman making YouTube videos about sexism in video games? And now they’ve invented conspiracy theories about how she cunningly made them flip out with her devious femaleness, because obviously she wanted to spend her life getting death threats for saying Princess Peach should have her own sidescroller? And they’re upset that the flipping out hasn’t escalated to physical violence?

Um. Have they actually watched the videos?

CassandraSays

Freeze peach guarantees the right to keep media jobs even if you piss off half your audience!

(For a place as progressive as the Bay Area some of our local radio dudes are an embarrassment. Why do the idiots who do the morning show on The Bone get paid for being 3rd rate imitations of Howard Stern?)

kittehserf

The stupid, it burns.

Bina – I am so stealing “scat-munchers”.

Oh yeah, I was the same. It’s easy to fall into that because society really rewards that attitude.

Brooked
Brooked

The Reddit thread is amusing. Several posters try to explain how 4Chan works while others point out that if this was meant as a joke, it’s a failed one.

“There are Facebook posts more hard hitting than this. And that’s kind of saying something.”

Boom!

This is a little off topic, but I’m enjoying Fuck_Postmodernism’s “SRS is taking over the internet” conspiracy theories.

It’s a pretty well known fact that SRS has operatives browsing 4chan, remember a few months ago when they tried to infiltrate /pol/?

Of course they did, honey.

Now I’m not saying that SRS were directly responsible, far from it. What I am saying is that the legacy left by SRS on 4chan culture (the /s4s/ board was directly inspired by them) has lead to an environment in which Feminism is no longer subject to the kind of criticism that it once used to receive. Not to mention there has been a dramatic shift in vocabulary found on 4chan – the use of the words ‘creep’ and ‘shitlord’ has increased quite a lot over the past few months.

Just food for thought.”

If you’d like to learn more, F_P discusses the SRS scourge at length in threads like, ‘We List Subredddits Controlled by SRS and, If There Are Any, List SRS-Free Alternatives”, “Has SRS ever invaded the himisphere [sic]”, and “Is it me, or is /r/adviceanimals gradually becoming SRS-influenced?”.

moldybrehd

lol, only apologize if you’re also an Albertan. It’s like Americans apologizing for Texas; pretty, but not really necessary. As for the pacific island, I’d like it better if she had move even further north, to the tar sands, and see how she felt about having to drink and wash in bottled water for the rest of her life.

HeatherN

I am absolutely 100% convinced there is no way any of the AVfM folks have even watched Sarkesian’s videos. I mean, her critique is some of the driest, straightforward, unemotional commentary I’ve ever seen about video games.

Like, compare her videos to Yahtzee Crowshaw’s Zero Punctuation…in which he’ll tear apart much loved video games in the most angry, graphic language possible. Hell, speaking of angry…how about Angry Joe’s YouTube channel where he (surprise, surprise) angrily reviews different games.

But god forbid a woman voices an opinion about games. AH!

kittehserf

Operatives

Operatives!

Get those tinfoil hats fitted now, before the gummint SRS reads your mind!

Gizwardo
Gizwardo

The MRAs really are turning into the Westboro baptist church. Say random shit -> get attention –> Profit?

Ugh. They suck.

Zoot
Zoot

Sarkeesian was looking for anything to make some money and get some attention. Being a victim is a pretty direct way of doing that in a culture that has no looming life-threatening problems. You make up a “danger”. You say you are being threatened by people who are known trolls, you troll bait.

But seriously, before you guys go for the sarcastic remakes, read this: http://anongamer.tumblr.com/

She wasn’t even a gamer, she just figured out a way with a fellow to make some money (donations, speaker invites, etc) and be important: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r89ZT9hn8jo

Ashley

I think other women should speak up after being attacked by them, or anyone. Then again, I’m sure we all have just been asking for it in some way, shape, or form.

I love how the term “white knight” is turning into a phrase used whenever anyone doesn’t brutally beat the shit out of a woman when they think she “deserves” it.

Angela Gibbons

comment image

MRAs have every right to be scared!!! Anita wants to take away great games like “Rapey Rapey Assboobs Adventure,” and we can’t have that!!!1!!

=^.^=

chibigodzilla

Thank goodness Zoot is here to warn us about one of those dangerous fake geek girls.

Alice Sanguinaria

SRS infiltrating everything? With what, purple dildos?

NonServiam
NonServiam

Alice Sanguinaria

Zoot, have you ever seen any of her Sexist Tropes in Video Games videos, or are you just here to shit in the water?

Wait, sorry, rhetorical question.

kittehserf

“Being a victim is a pretty direct way of doing that in a culture that has no looming life-threatening problems.”

Yup, nobody in the US has their life under threat from societal or cultural problems, nosiree. Nobody’s ever been murdered for being gay or trans* or the wrong colour or a woman or any combination of those. Nobody dies of preventable diseases because health care is unaffordable or simply unreachable or because those in power make damn sure the “unworthy” can’t get it. Nobody’s ever died or been left with their life devastated because of the gun culture. No woman’s ever been raped or murdered because men objected to her daring to speak, to write, to exist in any way that doesn’t meet their approval. Move along folks, nothing to see in this culture.

kittehserf

SRS infiltrating everything? With what, purple dildos?

Please, Alice! They should be purple sparkly dildos at the very least.

sparky
sparky

Zoot: I think your tinfoil hat is on too tight, honey.

So, Anita Sarkeesian must be some great mastermind here. She somehow managed to get random users on 4chan to attack her, but not too roughly (because, y’know, rape and death threats aren’t that bad), so she looks good. Then she took the money she received and did the thing she said she was going to do with it. Damn. This is some X-Files level of behind-the-scenes string pulling going on here. You’d thin, with all that evil manipulative clout, that instead of making videos about sexist game tropes, she’d be ruling the world or something.

But wait, maybe she already is! O_O

Operatives

Operatives!

That’s what jumped out at me, too. It’s bad enough when these guys call their blog posts “articles,” but this just takes it to another level.

Gizwardo
Gizwardo

“On the topic of women hating on women: how do you all handle misogyny coming from women? I’m never sure of what to do with it. I generally go for bluntly calling it out, but I’m not sure how constructive that is, especially when I’m speaking with a younger woman (and I’m a teacher so that’s frequent). I worry that if it comes out as an attack on her as a person, she’ll hold onto those toxic beliefs even more so.”

I mean, sometimes I struggle with my own internalized misogyny. It’s all a learning process. Most frequently what happens is I bring up something about feminism and I’ll get asked, “You’re not a feminist, ARE YOU!?” and then I try and spark up a conversation about what feminism means and what it is, and why they DON’T identify that way. But I try to just ask questions and talk about my own personal preferences and dispute the inaccurate bullshit I hear with facts. But I’m generally really passive and try to not make waves so ymmv.

Alice Sanguinaria

kittehs – Oh, you’re right. Sparkly purple dildos. *nod*

jefrir
jefrir

D’you think we could send them to this island, maybe?

1 2 3 14