funny MRA

Truly Scary Halloween Costume: Sexy Men’s Rights Activist

No Friendzoning!
No Friendzoning!

If you’re still looking for last-minute Halloween costumes — play along with me here, huh? — might I suggest what might possibly be the scariest one of all? Dress up like a (gasp!) Men’s Rights Activist, like the fellow above, a real-life MRA cosplayer I found on STFU Assholes.

If you’re looking for more MRA costume ideas, I suggest perusing the pictures here. (Warning: these are actual MRAs.)

Marie
Marie

@Good

find ones that aren’t from a voice for men. (yeah, I linked to manboobz, but it links back to the mras saying that shit. I seriously doubt avfm has citations.

The jezebel one skeeves my out with the title, the whole piece was a little unclear, but you missed the big thing:

Psychiatry News has a piece out this month about how men shouldn’t be overlooked as victims of domestic violence,

And talking about men being overlooked as victims of domestic violence isn’t really a bad thing? Not the best article, the tone was kind of off even though it was talking about an informal survey about who’s committed domestic abuse against men. So…I’m not seeing your point.

Ps: gonna respond to how any of the links I gave you? about how they’re actually activism? Or, better yet, find something the mrm has done that’s actually activism. Your pick.

cloudiah

Factchecking that list of “feminist quotes.” (Note that triplanetary has written two additional posts checking more of those “facts” which are linked to in David’s post.)

Good, go away, read those three posts, and then come back here and apologize for showing your ass. Again.

Argenti Aertheri

I refuse to deal with Not So Good.

My hearing went…okay? Well, my lawyer said it went well, so I guess it did? The judge was nice, and other than a few questions that he couldn’t have realized I’d gotten in circumstances that made my brain default to defensive mood, not too awkward.

ON THE OTHER HAND! I got to see the form my psych sent the lawyer. No mention of a mood disorder, but “patient reports periods of being blue” (oh yeah, so that’s what we’re calling it now?). Dx’s listed? PTSD (yeah not news) and *drum roll* personality disorder NOS with borderline symptoms. Also, a side dose of “is patient a malingerer?” “Unsure”

I fucking knew they didn’t believe me. Meanwhile, last time I complained to pecunium about this, he was quite clearly frustrated by their refusal to see what’s plainly in front of them.

For the bonus round! Am I hostile or irritable? Yep, as displayed by my sarcasm.

As for the personality disorder crap (this is not meant as a crack against people with personality disorders, it’s just that I may be a lot of things, but that ain’t one of ’em) — TW: suicide and self-harm. Want to know what few criteria for BPD that I meet? Self-injury, which remains nearly a defacto BPD diagnosis (criteria strengthened by suicide attempts), in asshole land my non-binary gender probably counts as instability in self-image (that is its own rant), “affective instability” which, um, maybe that’d be THE FUCKING MOOD DISORDER YOU FAILED TO MENTION, and, if you twist it, you can claim I meet the one for impulsive sex and drug use. Except a poly relationship with boundaries and condoms and standing partners isn’t impulsive, and my drug use was always carefully planned (one does not go on an acid trip on an impulse if one wants to enjoy it)

So, we have, at most, four, and two require twisting and assholery, and the other two…what part of mood disorder is difficult?!

——

In better things, idk if Man Boobz: The Magazining is still floating around, but I’ve been working on a WP theme, if only to keep myself busy. I should have the PHP done today or tomorrow, then to the CSS. Anybody who has ideas // interest // whatever should either drop by the forum or email me (sorry but with Not So Good here I’m not giving out my email [Athywren, cloudiah, Katz, Cassandra, LBT, and pecunium all have it, as does David of course — any of the non-trolls ask for it privately, you have permission to give it to them])

cloudiah

Urk! Well, I’m glad you’re lawyer thought it went well, and may that psych step on all the LEGOs.

Marie
Marie

@argenti

Yay? Hopefully it went well if the lawyer thought it did. Sorry about your psych being such a jerk though 🙁 Internet hugs from me, if you want them.

Argenti Aertheri

*gasps* who’s a pretty mandrian’s fish? Yes you are!

(The blue and yellow/orange one)

Thanks guys, and thanks for all the fish 🙂

neuroticbeagle

You’re welcome. Just Don’t Panic and carry a towel; everything will be 42. 🙂

Emilygoddess
Emilygoddess

@good, here’s my citation re women being fat-shamed.

kittehserf

SUCH beautiful fishies!

Argenti Aertheri

I, um, wasn’t going to mention it, but before everyone falls in love with the school of rainbow fish…they’re dye injected, they come in shades from red to yellow naturally (usually orange). Even in their natural state it’s a questionable breed — they’re a hybrid cichlid, inbred to the point for feeding issues, infertility in the males, spinal deformity and swim bladder problems (this is how fish stay upright).

So yeah, blood parrot cichlids are a bit of an ethical nightmare.

That purple betta though? That beauty is almost certainly the result of careful breeding and luck.

(Sorry to ruin your rainbow fish…)

hellkell
hellkell

Argenti: glad your hearing wasn’t a total bust, and your psych can just go straight to hell. I hope they get something itchy.

emilygoddess:

Do you even go here?

Mean Girls reference FTW.

I was thinking those rainbow fish looked a little, er, fishy.

Athywren
Athywren

I agree. The MRM is about true equality. Feminism promotes this:

Firstly, much as I hate to dismiss any source out of hand… the daily mail is not a source to be used by reasonable people. If the daily mail criticsed the MRM tomorrow, I would take it as a sign that it had become a rational movement and join immediately.
Secondly, do you remember, it was a long, long time ago, when you pointed out that the same thing (MRA =/= man) could be said about feminism (feminist =/= woman)? Because… yeah, not all women are feminists, not all feminists are women.
More importantly, even with the daily mail’s crap reporting, if you’d even bothered to read past the headline to the bullet points at the very top of the article, you’d notice this sentence: “The more entitled a woman feels, the more likely she is to accept it.” Not “the more inclined toward feminism a woman is,” but “the more entitled a woman feels.” The study tells us that entitled people don’t mind being treated like children if it means they’re taken care of. Ultimately, entitled people are entitled. Wow. Stop the pressses.

Also, “true equality”? Have you read a single thing any MRA has ever said? I mean, seriously?
What fantasy world do you live in?
Don’t get me wrong, fantasy worlds are great – I spend most of my life in one – but if you’re going to talk about the real world, you need to pay attention to it.

@Argenti

How do they say PTSD, then go on to suggest malingering? I mean… is it some extra mild form of PTSD that you can just walk off? oO
Seriously, psych, wtf?
My pyrokinetic powahs are at your command, if you wish them! As are hugs. Still, tentative hoorays for ok.

Falconer

@Argenti: May your psych’s every step be filled with Legos, may xie sleep on a bed of nails, and may hir office chair be reconstructed out of an Erector set.

Feckin’ “malingerer.” What is this, Patton’s army?

Argenti Aertheri

Well see, I don’t look anxious when I’m in their office apparently (*channels pecunium* do they have eyes?)

And I’m on the highest dose of the anti-PTSD-nightmare drug and still report having nightmares and that just can’t be right.

And a bunch of stupid fucking shit that sums to I AM A PERSON NOT A CASE STUDY!

Falconer

You mean removing the subject from hir usual environment could alter the subject’s behavior? Bollocks!

… I think I am going to go off and play with my funny shaped dice before I have any more thoughts about hurting anyone.

I am sorry, Argenti.

Argenti Aertheri

D10? Cuz I’ll dig out oWoD combat rules. (Oh, Athywren, I have very nearly ALL the books in PDF form if you need any)

And thanks. Go give a baby or two one of those bounces that makes babies giggle? I could use a baby giggle.

neuroticbeagle

Sorry about the rainbow fish. I just saw pretty colors. I don’t know much about fish- especially when just looking at pictures.

Here is another Mandarin:

and entertained cat:

@Argenti-
Random curious thought that is hopefully not inappropriate: have you ever been snorkeling? It just seems like something you would enjoy.

Argenti Aertheri

Nawh, that’s not inappropriate. I haven’t, though I would love to go scuba diving. All I’d see around here though are fucking bluefish and those buggers are nasty tempered.

Argenti Aertheri

Oh and I figured didn’t know that breed is ethically questionable. Hell, I’m guessing most people who buy them don’t know.

neuroticbeagle

I wish I had enough money to send you to the Grand Cayman. There is a place called Sting Ray City- you take a boat out and snorkel around the coral, then around pretty fishies who love being fed squid, then you get to play with people (ok, mostly people with squid) liking sting rays.

neuroticbeagle

I do remember you saying/typing something about the breed before- I just didn’t realize it was a picture of those fish.

Argenti Aertheri

Ooohhh rays…they are gorgeous. The fish store I spent lots of time in while avoiding the bubble campus of my freshman year had a tank of them.

When I win the lottery (that I don’t play, it’s a tax on people who can’t do math 🙂 ) a freshwater ray tank is on my list. And a 100g+ clown loach species tank. And, by all the gods, plumbing my tanks so I don’t have to lug around water!

cloudiah

I always say that my chances of winning the lottery are roughly the same whether or not I buy a ticket. 😉

If you do win that lottery, I would also recommend snorkeling in the Galapagos. We had a hammerhead shark swimming with us! So cool.

Argenti Aertheri

Marine iguanas, yes! That, a tour of Van Gogh paintings, and Hagia Sophia. Hm…I’d probably need to find someone with time to go with me…

neuroticbeagle

Yeah, I don’t play the lotto- I just have plenty of ideas of what to do with the money.

neuroticbeagle

@Argenti- I would make time (too bad I can’t make money as well…)

kittehserf

I wondered if the rainbow fish pic was photoshopped, because they were so bright – but dye-injected? Eww, no thanks. That’s right up there with people breeding dogs and cats with caved-in faces that give them lifelong breathing trouble, or hips so narrow they can only give birth by Caesarian, among other problems.

Argenti Aertheri

Well, I figure if I win the lottery, I could pay. It’d be easier than suddenly being okay being around people! Pecunium gets dibs on that invite though, because if he hasn’t been to the Hagia Soohia, he absolutely must go (seriously pecunium, go there)

Emilygoddess
Emilygoddess

Don’t even get me started…

kittehserf

I know, too fucking depressing/enraging.

Instead, have a perfectly camouflagued cat. You’ll never be able to find her!

Shaenon

Practically every “real man” meme defines a “real man” based on how he treats and what he does for women. Practically every “real woman” meme defines what a “real woman” does for herself and justifies her current condition (real women have curves).

No it doesn’t. I mean, I hate the gender essentialism of “real man” and “real woman” stuff anyway, but what you assert is just straight-up not true.

Googling “real men,” the first link that comes up is “Top Ten Traits of a Real Man” on AskMen.com. The ten:
1. A real man is strong
2. A real man is focused
3. A real man knows the importance of family
4. A real man doesn’t gossip
5. A real man’s word is his bond
6. A real man strives to be a role model
7. A real man makes his own fortune
8. A real man doesn’t look like a woman
9. A real man keeps his house in order
10. A real man can defend himself.

There’s nothing there about men doing things for women. The piece also includes a lot of put-downs toward women (for example, describing gossip as “girlie talk”), which suggests that a “real man” treats women dismissively.

Most of the other links on the first page (not counting the ones to movies or TV shows with “Real Men” in the title) are similar. They include sites like “A Tribute to Real Men” (“When did it become acceptable in this country for a man to go from being a rugged, plaid-wearing, beef jerky eating badass to a well-groomed, ‘metrosexual’ girly-boy like Ben Affleck?”), “20 Characteristics of a Real Man,” and “A Summary of Things Real Men Don’t Do” (which features the 1980s chestnut “Real men don’t eat quiche”).

“Real Men Cook” and “28 Ways to Spot a Real Man” (“He knows that you don’t have to fight a war to save a life”) break masculine stereotypes and show men acting generously, but on most of the sites the definition of a “real man” is based on men doing things for their own glorification. Real men show strength, win battles, and demand respect. Also, there’s almost nothing on any of the sites about what “real men” should look like physically (aside from “not like a woman”) or whether they should be attractive to the opposite sex.

Googling “real women” doesn’t bring up handy numbered lists, but all the links on the first page (not counting the ones to movies or TV shows with “Real Women” in the title) are either a) about body issues or b) sites for groups promoting traditional femininity. The former category includes “What Real Women Look Like,” a collection of photos of average women, and “Real Women Run,” an organization that encourages women not to feel ashamed about exercising with less-than-perfect bodies. The latter includes “Real Women of Philadelphia,” a cooking community, and “Real Women of Canada,” a “pro-family conservative women’s movement” mostly focused on homemakers.

So. “Real women” are very concerned about their looks, especially their weight, and also on homemaking and family. Even the sites dedicated to helping women develop positive body image don’t challenge the idea that being beautiful is an important part of being a woman. Nothing in the first page of links mentions achievements outside the home as part of womanhood. A “real woman” is defined by what she does for men–especially in the hotness department–and for her family. Not exactly a stirring message of lady-power.

grumpycatisagirl

I have only been skimming this thread since Good got here but just wanted to say that catching this: “Ultimately, entitled people are entitled. Wow. Stop the presses” made me laugh at the end of a hard week. Thanks Athywren.

neuroticbeagle

“Instead, have a perfectly camouflagued cat. You’ll never be able to find her!”

Cat? What cat? I don’t see Mads anywhere… 🙂

Athywren
Athywren

Izzat even a question? *eyebrow*
(Yezplz)
I actually have none of the books, though my brother used to have the main rulebook, which I read pretty religiously. My knowledge of the WoD comes from the VtM PC games & wikis.

You know, there is one good thing about the idea of pedigree breeding (does that term actually apply outside of doggies?). It’s really easy to spit it derisively. Plus it’s a really good argument against eugenics. The idea of pedigree breeds of human disturbs the hell out of me.

I use the lottery as a way to stop myself from spending my spare pennies on tasty-sweet things that’ll rot my teeth… because I will, because I’m a moron with a mouth full of sweet teeth.
I’m so lucky I have the build to manage the sugar storage, because I’m way too vain to deal with it otherwise.
I don’t have a particular set of numbers that I play, though… that’s just asking to get stuck in the habit of playing (“but what if my numbers come up this week!?”+pretty addictive personality anyway (see sugar)) so I just get ducky lips.
So far my totes inevitable lottery win plans are to split it among my immediate family, get a new computer and a snazzy telescope that keeps up with the sky(not sky-earth) whizzing around so I can take some non-blurry pictures… then move to Mars, assuming I could handle the time lag for internet access there! 😛 (Failing that, just play UFO Afterlight again.)

There’s nothing there about men doing things for women.

😮 I beg to differ!:

9. A real man keeps his house in order

WOMAN’S WORK!!! 😛
Real men identify as men.
Today, I feel like a squirrel. *gnaws on a chewing nut (actual nuts and I disagree on a fairly major political issue).*

Cthulhu's Intern

You know, honestly, when he said “real men,” I thought he meant stuff like “real men wear pink,” calling your website “the site for REAL MEN,” or like saying things like “real men shave their faces with lawnmowers.” You know, stuff that’s just humorous over-the-top masculinity.

kittehserf

Red squirrel or one of them grey ‘Murrican interlopers? ::squints suspiciously::

For everyone-except-goodfornothing’s further viewing pleasure, behold a video of Maddie Not Being Seen!

Argenti Aertheri

Athywren — yes, it’ see ally it’s really a question, I have like 10g of the books.

Athywren
Athywren

Madam! I am a Briton! A child of Saxon Northumbria and the Danelaw… and probably some French, but shh. My blood is red! My coat is red! And… oh dear, my eyes are red too… I should probably sleep soon. But yeh, I’s a proper Red Squirrel – look how cute I am! :3 And… try not to think about how endangered I am. 3:

Make that 20g

kittehserf

Endangered, yes. 🙁

Just don’t go doing a Squirrel Nutkin, for your own personal squirrelly safety!

Athywren
Athywren

I have like 10g of the books.

O_O That’s a lot of book… how many books are there? I’m guessing they cover the whole WoD at that size, not just vampires? I’d be very interested to read the Salubri clanbook… though I did just find a whole collection of WoD books online… ooh, and D&D too, so nm.

CassandraSays

@ Hyena Girl

Handing out espresso to the adults who’re taking the kids trick or treating is such a great idea.

CassandraSays

@ Argenti

I knew your psych was trying to fix it so you wouldn’t qualify for the benefits you’re applying for. Hopefully the judge will figure out that PTSD + malingerer = this psych needs to go back to college.

BTW if people want to see rays and friendly pretty fish for less expensive than the Galapagos and so on, the Persian Gulf is full of them. Saudi obviously isn’t much fun as a destination, but maybe Dubai? Great food there too.

LBT
LBT

RE: Argenti

I would love to go scuba diving.

So would I, but I can’t. 🙁 Ear issues mean I have trouble equalizing pressure, which only comes up in airplanes or underwater. I haven’t dived deep in a while, so it may have gotten better, but used to be, three feet underwater I’d develop vertigo so badly I couldn’t tell which way was up.

Snorkeling I totally miss though.

pecunium

Good: MRA’s are not misogynists. Would you accept feminists as being misandrists? If not, you are practicing true bias.

Bullshit.

1: MRAs are misogynists.

2: EVen if I accepted the idea of, “misandry” that MRA’s are misogynists doesn’t equal that the group the MRM has decided is their bête noir is therefore actually guilty of the paranoid delusions the MRM has projected onto them.

Ergo, unless you can show that 1: the MRM isn’t misogynist, at core, and 2: that Misandry is a real thing and 3: that Femism is, at root, based on that”misandry”, your statement is a probative as anything else you have ever said.

Malitia
Malitia

My oWoD folder is around 16 GBs, but I don’t tend to have first edition stuff, and tried to collect the retyped books when possible. (I won’t talk about my full tabletop games folder) … umm… talk like a pirate day alternative edition. :]

Also I don’t think there were clanbooks for bloodlines like the Salubri.

Malitia
Malitia

… I stand corrected. There was a Dark Ages Salubri clanbook.

Also, retyped stuff: just google taintedsnowqueen and you will find them.

Moma Sita

ally s,
Thanks for the much sought after and unique welcome package. It wouldn’t be manboobz without it!