advocacy of violence antifeminism attention seeking bullying citation needed creepy evil fat fatties evil women excusing abuse gender policing harassment homophobia men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny patriarchy PUA reactionary bullshit rhymes with roosh shaming tactics that's not funny! things that aren't satire trigger warning

Attention-seeking manosphere guru Roosh V posts article on “Why You Should Beat Your Kids” [UPDATE: Was it plagiarized?]

attentionseek

So it seems that some Men’s Rightsers and manospherians, reveling in the negative attention they’ve managed to get from the mainstream for some of their more reprehensible postings, have decided to up the ante a bit, posting stuff that’s so deliberately over the top in its despicableness that even some of their readers have been taken aback.

A case in point: A paean to child abuse recently posted on Roosh’s Return of Kings blog. (Let me put a big TRIGGER WARNING on all the quotes from it that follow.)

In Why You Should Beat Your Kids, guest poster Rebel Yell argues — well, asserts — that

Beating builds character, and in my estimation, is the solution for today’s flabby, emasculated, and gynocentric culture.

The piece is filled with such wisdom as:

If you don’t beat your kids your son will end up banging some dude and your daughter will become an anarcha-feminist with an unshorn vag.

Yep. For you see, the beatings being advocated here are intended to enforce the patriarchal, homophobic, antifeminist, and even the fatphobic views favored by Roosh and his readers:

[T]oday’s kids … should be beat constantly until they realize that they can’t get away and have to fight back to survive.  Beat until they lose their narcissistic attitude and accept that weakness is never an option. Beat until she loses weight and he stops playing with Barbie dolls.

Rebel Yell devotes much of the post to an obviously fictional tale of his own upbringing — which naturally involved a lot of beatings at the hands of his dad — before concluding with an exceedingly vicious attack on some favorite manosphere villains. Who happen to be real people.

Do us all a favor: beat your kids from time to time. If this simple rule was followed Miley Cyrus would shut the fuck up because Billy Ray laid a black eye on his slut daughter, Perez Hilton would be shamed to suicide, and Lindy West would die an ignoble death somewhere in the hinterlands of Hell. After all, Satan is male, right?

This is just straight up harassment.

Like some Men’s Rights activists who revel in saying vile things but try to wriggle out of taking moral responsibility for what they say, Roosh has declared that Rebel Yell’s post was “meant to be satire.”

Clearly Roosh has no idea what satire is. So here is a brief refresher. Satire is

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

In other words, you need to actually disagree with the views you are satirizing. As I’ve pointed out before, when Jonathan Swift wrote his famous Modest Proposal, he didn’t actually believe that eating babies was a good idea. If he had, it wouldn’t have been satire, just a really fucked up essay by a really fucked up weirdo.

The only way Rebel Yell’s post would be satire would be if it were intended as a takedown of misogynist assholes who believe that beatings and bullying are an appropriate response to such supposed social ills as feminism, homosexuality, sluttiness, and obesity, and who hate Jezebel writer Lindy West so much they like to imagine her dead.

But that’s not a description of the sort of people who Roosh and his readers are against; that’s a description of who they are. Indeed, Roosh and his pals in the manosphere just devoted a week to a celebration of anti-fat bullying.

These guys are in many ways beyond satire. It’s hard to imagine anyone more exaggeratedly awful than they already are.

EDIT: And it turns out that this allegedly “humorous” post — as a number of people have pointed out — seems to have been plagiarized in part from a post by misogynistic “humorist” Maddox. Some similar passages:

MADDOX:  If you don’t beat your kids when they fall out of line, the next thing you know your son will go off and bang some dude in the ass just out of spite.

REBEL YELL: If you don’t beat your kids your son will end up banging some dude and your daughter will become an anarcha-feminist with an unshorn vag.

MADDOX: The problem is that kids today think their opinions matter. By not beating your kids, they get a skewed perspective of reality … .

REBEL YELL: Beat until they realize that their opinions don’t matter.

And then there’s this. [TRIGGER WARNING for graphics even worse than the quotes so far.]

Maddox illustrated his post with this graphic, now available as a t-shirt:

beatkid4

Return of Kings illustrated its post with this picture and a nearly identical caption.

From Return of Kings
From Return of Kings

So Return of Kings is not even original in its offensiveness.

SittieKitty

I wonder what would happen if we started to believe everything they write is satire… Would that make them some of the strongest proponents of feminism?

This misapplication of satire is just frustrating, because satire is a very good and legitimate way to show how hyperbolic and wrong people like these people are, and it’s being diluted and destroyed by these assholes who are using it to mean anything they find funny and don’t want to be held accountable for saying.

Hry
Hry

I am a man with two testicles and a big dick between my legs. I fuck women. Lots of women. I train in combat sports. I own guns, lots of them, and kill little furry animals with them, which I then eat. . . . I learned how to be a man from my dad who kicked my ass from time to time

That’s right, he didn’t have any balls until his father physically beat them out of his body. Also, the beating somehow enlarged the size of his penis.

Children who are beaten at home are several orders of magnitude more likely to have a wide range of behavioural problems in primary and secondary school.

Ally S

[Content note: physical abuse, harassment, inappropriate touching, transmisogyny, suicide, self-harm]

[T]oday’s kids … should be beat constantly until they realize that they can’t get away and have to fight back to survive. Beat until they lose their narcissistic attitude and accept that weakness is never an option. Beat until she loses weight and he stops playing with Barbie dolls.

I dealt with physical punishment for being slightly fat when I was 14. My tae kwon do teacher hit me on my thighs and behind very hard and shamed me for being “too fat” to do a side kick properly. It was humiliating, degrading, and painful, but it sure as hell didn’t help me lose weight. It just made me hate the people who wanted me to lose weight.

I guess Roosh, out of concern for me, would encourage my dad to join in and also physically punish me. After all, maybe if he physically abused me more, I would lose these silly feelings of wanting to “become female” as well. It sure is great to be forced to live as a guy and bullied into losing weight. No fucking eating disorders or suicidal thoughts or anything like that – nope.

I know that this man isn’t any different from other MRAs/PUAs/whatever the fuck they call themselves, but this post really hurt me in a personal way.

SittieKitty

🙁 Hugs if you want them Ally. Your teacher and your dad are both assholes. I think you’re pretty fantastic.

Athywren
Athywren

I wonder if there’s some correlation between not turning out alright* after being raised in awful ways, and being willing to sell it as positive character development?

*I mean turning out as an unpleasant adult, prone to homophobia and misogyny. (aka, turning into Rebel Yell. Who I find doubly unpleasant for possibly ruining that song for me forever.)

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

Oh, I see. Roosh posted a little “This article was indeed meant to be satire.“.
But the disclaimer at the top of the article says: “*For all the effeminate males and troll feminists commenting on this post: rot in Hell. I stand by what I said. Kids need beatings from time to time.

… So is that part of the satire as well? Are we… satirizing the myopic outlook of not accepting other viewpoints now? Has RoK gone so meta that it’s actually stepped into making satire of its own stated principles in other sections?

I guess the viewpoint that the article is meant as satire is underscored by the grammatical mistakes and the host of random little tidbits that seem too outlandish to be true, but then why keep that “I stand by what I said” thing?

Is RoK itself meant to be satire? Is the entire site, disclaimers, commenters, posters, posts, meant to be a satire on the human condition and the fallibility of men? Is that why Rebel Yell is specialized in “Western Civilization”, game theory and spirituality? How do oyou specialize in Western civilization, I was under the assumption you tended to codify that with a category like “The history of” or “The economics of”, not just the entire thing.

Besides, Maddox did this first. Like, line for fucking line, including the little “If your child doesn’t look like this when you come home”, but you know what the difference was? While that article (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat) is just as gut twisting and bad, you can clearly see it’s satire and the little bit at the end says “X amount of people doesn’t know the difference between dicipline and child abuse“. Because beating up people is bad! And wrong! And some people do it for no reason at all times to encourage a state of fear, and this is a bad thing.

Goddammit! Not only is this indelibly corrupting, bad writing, pretend-satire with a terrible message and a hunkered down attitude (If you’re going to have a disclaimer on a satirical piece of writing, don’t make the fucking disclaimer that you’re serious! Make it that.. it’s satire!), this is re-posted bad advice. Other people did it first.

Other people did it first line for line. I don’t know why that somehow makes it worse for me? Like, if this was just shit, I could accept that, sure, but this is shit someone else has actually gone ou to copy from someone else. Not only is this horrendous, it’s… repackaged horribility. It’s not original idiocy.

If you’re going to go out of your way to make nebolous satire that’s difficult to code and could easily be misunderstood as supporting something you don’t actually support, while also helping hold up a host of other small ills, while while being a total ass about it, at least be original.

3 / 10. Made me respond.

Alice Sanguinaria

May they ALL step on ALL the Legos. Child abuse, emotional or physical or sexual, is NOT cool.

Or so sayeth someone who has seen it firsthand.

cloudiah

This is their new schtick, isn’t it? Just write hateful shit, call it satire.

La Strega

“Speak roughly to your little boy, and beat him when he sneezes,
He only does it to annoy, and because he knows it teases.”

True satire courtesy of Lewis Carroll.

Monster

Or apparently, plagiarise hateful shit and call it satire and insist it isn’t at the same time! To confuse all the readers into sleeping with them?

Not sure what kind of fail this is – fail because they meant it and even their own readers have WTF’d, or fail because it really was supposed to be satire but published by people who don’t understand satire.

seraph4377

Preface 1: I know this is the most minor of details and not really on topic, but it’s nagging.

Preface 2: Obviously, Billy Ray Cyrus does not own Miley, never did, and in any case, she’s past the age where he has any claim to control over her behavior. That said…

I don’t think he’s as upset by her antics as everyone seems to think he should be. He’s in the business, he raised her in the business, he was a sex symbol himself back in the day, and I’m sure he knows exactly what she’s trying to do, which is to make an Anne Hathaway-style clean break with her Disney Princess past. I’m sure he was more comfortable when she was the little girl on the Disney Channel, but he knows the score.

Tulgey Logger
Tulgey Logger

It would help their case if they knew how to write satire that didn’t sound exactly like them when they’re completely sincere.

Chie Satonaka
Chie Satonaka

TW: Child abuse

True story, I spent a good chunk of my childhood terrified of my mother. She was fond of striking us with whatever was handy, and she hit me so hard she broke things. Flyswatters, wooden spoons, belt buckles, etc. broken on my body. I was afraid of her and I hated her. Then one day she stopped — I was around ten or so at the time.

A few years later we started talking about her childhood, growing up in a home with an abusive alcoholic father and a clinically depressed mother. She had to raise her four siblings because her mother would lie in bed for months at a time (seeking mental health treatment was NOT DONE in lower income households back then). Her parents would steal every nickel she brought into the house so she had to hide her income from two jobs, until she had earned enough to flee. She spent her last two years of high school living with her aunt, and never saw her parents again. I never met them, and am glad of it.

I believe that one day she realized she was turning into her father, and that was the last time she ever hit me. I’m so grateful that she had the strength to change. This is what the cycle of violence does — it breeds hatred and more violence. Roosh is a monster for advocating it.

My mother and I are very close today; I count her as my best friend. She was widowed at a young age and she raised my brother and I on her own. And she taught me how to take care of myself, because she ended up alone and had to learn how to do it late in life.

Violence breeds more violence.

hellkell
hellkell

Cool story bro. If any of that were true, you’d be out doing it instead of writing “satire” on fucking Roosh’s shitshow of a blog.

La Strega

@ Chie,

I can relate to your story; I am sure many people can. I’m so grateful that your mom had the strength and insight to reject her own childhood “programming.” Most people aren’t able to do that. No wonder you are proud of her.

@hellkell,

Touche (as usual)!

HeatherN

What gets me about how the commenters have decided this goes too far, is that they were totally behind the article that detailed how making someone ashamed of themselves is a good way to get them to change. So they’re okay with psychological abuse, but physical abuse is where they draw the line, I guess. Sheeze.

tedthefed
tedthefed

I’m pretty sure that they’re intending to satire what they think feminists think of men. It’s very unclear, and it’s also obviously bullshit, but I… think that’s what they’re trying to claim.

So in other words, when you’re twelve and fighting with your sister and go, “Oh sure, you’re ALWAYS right and I’m ALWAYS wrong!” then that’s satire in the same way. And as mature.

The fact that they think this is some sort of Get Out of Jail Free card is kind of fascinating, since even if you’re doing that, you still CAN’T AGREE WITH IT. On Ellen’s sitcom, her attraction to Laura Dern’s character prompted her to come out, and then Laura Dern literally was given a toaster for “recruiting” Ellen. Same structure joke, I think: “Our enemies think we recruit people; well here’s a humorously ludicrous extention of that!” That kinda doesn’t work if you actually believe lesbians recruit people.

seraph4377

HeatherN – I’m just encouraged that they have a limit. Not, you know, a lot, but at least there’s somewhere that they draw a line.

baileyrenee

For some reason, possibly because I didn’t sleep all night, I think this line is fucking hysterical.

I mean, two testicles? A BIG dick!? LOTS OF WOMEN!?!?

And ugh, Ally, that sucks. I had a grandpa like that, but he lived far away and I didn’t have to see him much. Having a family member who lives with you act like sounds terrible. People who don’t realize how brutal and damaging eating disorders are suck beyond works I’m capable of writing right now.

Have an internet hug: http://lovemeow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/6376702299_7cbc71ee3e_o.jpg

baileyrenee

beyond works I’m capable of writing right now.

**NOT capable. See? 🙁

LBT
LBT

RE: hellkell

Sssh! Don’t tell anyone that he has two testicles and a big dick between his eyebrows! The truth will make them flee!

In less douchey news, to commemorate my rather hasty return to Boston, I am going to be starting another writeathon on November 1st! The topic, naturally, will be ‘journey.’ I hope to see y’all there!

LBT
LBT

RE: baileyrenee

Hell, I think it’s funny too! Just because I’m trying to imagine where ELSE those genitalia could be located, that he’s so determined to convince us otherwise!

Alice Sanguinaria

Obviously Rebel Yell felt the need to remind us that he is a fully endowed cis* male who bangs all of the ladies because he actually has/does these things, right?

vaiyt

I am man, hear me roar! *duke nukem music*

Athywren
Athywren

Apparently my google skills have failed me… but there’s a sketch with a punk in a public bathroom, and he’s opening all the zips in his jacket and checking inside and getting frustrated, and then a businessman comes in, opens his briefcase saying, “I keep mine in here” and… yeah. Funnier to see it than describe it, but my googles have abandoned me.

Brooked
Brooked

These comments from the site stood out:

Here someone explains the social problem that Rebel Yell is “satirizing”.

“Its not the kids, its the parents. If we had strong fathers and mother’s in this society, whiny spoiled and self-entitled brats wouldn’t be running around.”

See, he was making fun of how our feminist culture has emasculated today’s youth. That’s what makes it funny satire. (Except for the part where he discusses his big dick, how many testicles he has and WOMEN he’s had sex with, his “combat sports” training and gun collection, which is purely informational and in no way satirizing male insecurity.)

Yes there is a lot of beta talk nonsense and people defending corporal punishment, but some of the posters seem genuinely outraged and discuss how destructive child abuse is. The following post is a bit sad.

“I was beaten. It didn’t make me a man, I had to learn game and manliness from the internet.”

Another poster poses an excellent question:

“Is this all it takes to become a writer for one of the most known manosphere blog?”

Answer: Yes.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Random – when and why did people on the internet decide to start writing “self-entitled” when they mean either “entitled” or possibly “selfish”? It grates almost as badly as when they call someone a “looser”.

jefrir
jefrir

Athywren, here you go.

sparky
sparky

What does having large genitalia and lots of sex have to do with being a good parent? I mean, he makes a point of saying this in an essay that is ostensibly about parenting.
And it’s not really “parenting” when your whole philosophy is basically beat your child(ren) into terrified submission. That falls more under the category of evil rather than “parenting.”

Have these guys been really extreme of late, or am I just reaching my threshold for bullshit? I mean, this guy; the guy yesterday so said shooting a little girl in the head was “scientifically rational,” Colon-Nolan harassing that young woman and being downright happy at the thought of her commuting suicide; I mean, if this is representative sample of the “manosphere,” how can anyone take them seriously?

Brain bleach? Yes, please. This is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen:

vaiyt

“Satire”, yeah. As Sam Raimi pointed out, satire requires you to be smarter than your characters… though there’s nobody being satirized at all in this story, it’s just one asshole baring their inner mind.

Warren
Warren

@Athywren. You are referencing “Not the 9 O’clock News” on BBC, circa 1980. The business man (Mel Smith) sadly passed away recently.

As for these MRA idiots, any man who would boast of the size and “use” of his tackle is undoubtedly hung like a mouse.

Great Tsathoggua
Great Tsathoggua

Right up there with the “Old School ADD Medicine” caption under a picture of a leather belt.

toujoursgai

Internet hugs to anyone who was upset by this article.

TW: Child abuse

This part made me really sad (as opposed to angry, which was my reaction to the rest of it). Because yeah, some abused kids do grow up believing that vulnerability = death, and that violence is an acceptable way – if not the only way – to assert themselves, and that others who they perceive as “weak” should be hated and attacked.

It’s not a sign of good parenting. It’s a goddamn tragedy.

eseldbosustow

Dedicated a week to anti-fat bullying? That would explain why I’ve been called fat about 10 times this week on the internet by MRAs when it’s an insult they had never before used on me. Interesting coincidence.

Fi
Fi

Cassandrasays — I’m a looser. I spend all day running around untying knots for the hell of it.

So YOU’RE the reason Doad lost his balloon! *shakes fist*

Athywren
Athywren

@ Jefrir & Warren, thanks! I knew it was Not The Nine O’Clock News, but apparently my memory got in the way of my googling. He didn’t say anything at all! Which does explain why the voice I remembered sounded more like John Cleese than Mel Smith. RIP, Mel.

Well, it’s all about being a good role model, isn’t it? Walking around with enormous genitals makes your kids think it’s a good thing to have them, so they will. Likewise with having lots of sex. The more sex you have, particularly if it’s with women other than their mother, the more impressed your six month old will be with you. Very young children have a deep and comprehensive understanding of their parent’s sexual experience, and if they see you have a lot of sex, they’ll realise that you’re just brilliant, and that’s why it’s ok for you to beat them.

I quite like how they’re just accusing anyone who disagrees with them of being fat and ugly at the moment. It really shows how committed they are to curing obesity, and how noble their intentions truly are.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I wonder if they ever realize that the response to their attempts at fat shaming is mostly bafflement.

Feminist : You shouldn’t hit your kids.

MRA : I bet you’re really fat

Feminist : Huh? What does that have to do with whether or not it’s OK for people to hit their kids?

It’s silly enough when there’s some sort of context (you will never find a man because you’re fat!), but when it’s a complete non-sequitur it turns into a Monty Python sketch about angry assholes who’re screaming at people for no apparent reason.

SittieKitty

Well, except Monty Python is waaaay more fun and funnier.

drst
drst

@sparky – these guys equate having large genitalia and lots of sex with women as being a superior person, let alone parent. Which is even more sad.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Also they seem to think that it’s good for boys to see Dad interacting with women in a sexually demeaning way. Remember the dude who was going on about being a regular at the strip club and passing that “status” on to his son? It’s about teaching boys how these dudes think they’re supposed to relate to women, so if the kid sees Dad fucking around with lots of women he’ll grow up to be a player himself.

Brooked
Brooked

@Sparky

I bet that’s a question you never thought you’d be asking. Thanks internet!

Brooked
Brooked

Egads! Blockquote Fail!

inurashii
inurashii

I once commented at RoK and was immediately offered several paragraphs of advice on how to improve my chances with women. This was their way of being nice.

I would have told a normal rude person “Thanks, I’m good, I have multiple partners and am happy with my sex life” but there is no way in hell that would fit their worldview; I’d just be another lying mangina.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ inurashii

I guess in a way that’s an acknowledgement of the fact that they know that a guy who is capable of managing his sex life in a satisfactory way would have no reason to be reading RoK.

inurashii
inurashii

Weirdly enough, that’s pretty much exactly what I said in my comment that they replied to — that PUA is based on insecurity, the belief that you are so undesirable that you have to trick somebody into having sex with you.

They of course told me that RoK isn’t PUAs, just “regular guys”, which made my head turn upside-down.

Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III
Sir Bodsworth Rugglesby III

So having two testicles and a penis under my left arm is wrong?

No wonder I’m so beta.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Regular guys are all kings! Yeah, that’s not delusional at all.

Fibinachi
Fibinachi

Haha, they removed the “: “*For all the effeminate males and troll feminists commenting on this post: rot in Hell. I stand by what I said. Kids need beatings from time to time.” disclaimer.

Yeah, now I can suddenly see the satire of this piece, the way it neatly manages to surmise an outrageous position and make it clear that the alternative is much better no wait no it’s still wrong, but at least they’re covering their own ass now.

HeatherN

The thing is, if they’re using what they call “satire” (but what is probably better described as parody) to highlight what they think is the extremity of feminist theory…well they’re basically using the same tactics Solanas did when writing SCUM Manifesto.

Not that I think that’s even what they’re doing. I think that the authors of this shit actually believe it, and only claim they don’t to try to “get out of jail free.” But it’s interesting they’re claiming to use the same rhetorical device as an extreme feminist figure…

1 2 3 4