announcements

20/20 Story POSTPONED, again

The waiting is the hardest part
The waiting is the hardest part

Just heard that the 20/20 story has been postponed. This may not be news to you all, but I’ve been away from the Internets for a bit. Anyway, I’ll let you know when it will run as soon as I know.

grumpycatisagirl

No. it’s news to me.
Any idea why?

Nooooooo! And we only had 3 hours to go!

Well, OT, somegreybloke’s new vid is hilarious. I got as far as “the reasonable limits of objectification that we’ve all agreed upon” before I lost it.

Alice Sanguinaria

Wat? Again?

dustydeste
dustydeste

Whaaaaat

But we’ve waited so loooooooonnnngggggg *sobs*

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

What could possibly be more important than the Greatest Human Rights Movement of Our Time?*

*all the sarcasms

oserchenma7whiteboars

Isn’t it obvious that 2000 attacks on the show (via the comments after the trailer) had an effect? Vargas and her producers experienced just how fun it is to be a target of the manosphere. What I wonder is whether this will disappoint the MRAs. Let’s see: “Paul got to say his piece.” Wait, “Paul got trashed, and this is good, either way, attention is paid.” Then, “Let’s all attack Vargas personally and the show in advance because we’re haters and that’s what we do.”

Now what?

“Wait, we wanted to see Paul. Bummer, how come they are “postponing”?

“But it could have been so fun!” Like, Paul saying men shouldn’t get married, after failing 4 times at it.

I doubt we’ll ever see this story. NBC opted out either because 1) the threat level was unacceptable or 2) they realized they would be used, no matter what their conclusions, to hurt women.

oserchenma

I’ve entered my full comment with no luck, so let me be succinct here: 2000 “comments”, mostly personal against Vargas and her producers.

Ashley

Balls.

I can’t wait anymoar

Ally S

LOL

That is all.

MordsithJ
MordsithJ

ah well, I really should be working tonight anyway.

leftwingfox

I really hope this is a “More Rope” situation, where every time they’re about to release, They get another wave of fresh horrifying hatred spewed at them, which they feel needs to be included.

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

So now what am I supposed to do with all the popcorn I made?

Brooked
Brooked

@oserchenma Vargas should be fine, but AVFM “covered” the story by posting pictures and bios of the two young female authors of the teaser. These kids (I’m old) are borderline interns so I’m sure all they were unprepared for the backlash.

Also, their coverage doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Anita Sarkeesian is bΓͺte noire in the gamer/ anti-girl nerd sphere, and while her harassment involves misogyny and anti-feminism, I don’t see any direct connection between her infamy and the MRM or Elam. I think they approached the story from the cyber-bullying angle, replacing school kids with women, and we’re going to gloss over the MRM specifics, which is understandable because MRM is both complex and goofy. If you assume the viewer doesn’t know anything about feminism, internet culture, PUAs, rise of pop Evo Psych or the earlier Father’s rights movement, it’s a tough story to tell.

And, as you point out, they already got a taste of the MRM’s aggro lunacy in the teaser’s comment section.

Lea Tapp

Hubby is actually out picking up popcorn right now. Well, I guess we’ll just watch a movie by the light of a scented candle instead.

Marie
Marie

Aw, man. And I was getting so excited πŸ™ (though that was more for the live-manboobz comments :D)

quequoi

Well, I’m relieved. Maybe by the time they air it, I can finally get abc to stream in my area. I too have loads of popcorn and wine here ready for the “live comments” here, and now need to find a movie to use it on.

MordsithJ
MordsithJ

*If* the story was pulled because of threats from MRA’s (not saying it was, just saying it’s more than a little possible) then expect things to get verrrrrrrrry interesting over the next few days. The mainstream media may be easily intimidated, can’t say the same for the Twitterverse. The popcorn will not go to waste.

MordsithJ
MordsithJ

@martindufresne, love your icon. Chicken!

I like how they’re fuming about the reporters’ journalistic credentials, as if they expected to be interviewed by Anderson Cooper right out the gate.

The complaints about how it’s being treated as an internet story are actually reasonable…but they don’t realize that that actually makes it look better for them. “People get angry when anonymous on the internet” is a way better narrative for them than “these people actually think this is a reasonable way to behave and think in normal life.”

AK
AK

I suspect a lot of these delays are just that a more time-sensitive news story comes up that they want to cover. That’s my understanding of how a lot of these programs work; they have a handful of evergreen pieces that they’ll move around as needed.

But I don’t know how 20/20 works in particular and I haven’t been paying much attention to the backlash and such (except what I’ve seen here) so I could be wrong.

hellkell

We just had some yahoos hold the country hostage, that might take precedence over the curdled man-feels of the MRM.

MordsithJ
MordsithJ

@AK, you’re probably right, especially if they’re going to take the standard Lets-treat-the-internet-like-a-carnival-sideshow approach that the media is famous for. They may just be planning to use it as filler at some point.

It’s just… given AVFM’s record of harassment and threats, the other scenario is entirely possible.

melody

I doubt it will ever air. They’ll probably get bullied into silence.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

MRAs are loud and annoying, but I really don’t think they’re capable of bullying 20/20 into submission. My guess would be that AK is right and something more timely came up.

Let’s not underestimate newspeople. They report on really hideous stuff all the time and I’m sure they get threats of violence on a routine basis, including much more direct and likely ones than these. They may be surprised at the backlash this particular story gets, but I don’t think it’s exactly going to make the execs cower in fear. (The two young reporters, maybe, but whether to air it isn’t their decision.)

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

If anything I’d say the policy take-away should be “don’t let the interns attach their names to stories about these guys”. The anchors can handle it, the kids shouldn’t have to.

AK
AK

@katz, that was my thought too. 2000 angry comments is just good ratings, because you know those guys are going to watch it to see just how bad it is. The personal harassment is troubling, but it isn’t some podunk news channel or something. 20/20 has reported on controversial stuff before, and I’m sure has dealt with this kind of harassment.

Not that I don’t feel bad for the interns who are being harassed, because I absolutely do. I would just be very surprised if the harassment actually caused them to pull the segment permanently.

emilygoddess

I wouldn’t put the popcorn away just yet, guys. There’s still the impending Manosphere asspat-circle to celebrate their victory against the Feminist Media, or however they’re going to spin this.

Brooked
Brooked

They’ve done shows on Scientology, they can handle these yahoos.

Quackers
Quackers

Since this got postponed, anyone wanna have a go at this?

To sum it up, TyphoidBlue thinks objectification doesn’t exist because a study says men need eye contact to feel strong attraction to a woman. (In actuality the study says it “enhances the appeal of a pleasing face regardless of gender”)

I guess this means guys who post upskirt photos don’t exist. Or men that yell “nice tits/ass” and catcall. Or all those memes praising the wonders of boobs (often accompanied with a picture of just boobs) Hell a big chunk of the manosphere apparently doesn’t exist either, since none of those guys ever refused to be with a fatty since her body is displeasing (regardless of how pretty her face might be)

How do these people manage to get to such ridiculous conclusions?

hellkell

Jesus, she’s dim. Eye contact =/= objectification.

cloudiah

I went to a funeral today for a good friend’s mother, and was really hoping to take my mind off of how badly 2013 has sucked by making fun of wild-eyed Paul Elam.

Damn.

I’m sorry, cloudiah.

Quackers
Quackers

@hellkell

I think what she’s trying to say is men need eye contact to feel attraction to a woman, which means she’s a subject and feels mutual attraction, therefore, objectification doesn’t exist.

Nevermind even if there was mutal attraction a guy could still treat a woman as a sexual means to an end…ie pump and dump.That makes sense no? that post is just confusing… objectification is more than looking at someone, its how you treat them.

Quackers
Quackers

@cloudiah

I’m so sorry πŸ™ hugs if you want them.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

There are people who fetishize eye shape.

(Granted that this is only one of the many problems with her argument. Even by MRA standards she’s pretty dumb.)

cloudiah

I’m okay, hellkell, but thanks. It was a weird service; a Catholic mass, where the priest alternately harangued us for chatting (before the service started, mind you) and then chastised us for not praying loudly enough. And made the Catholics kneel way more than is typical. And finally, when they did the communion thing, my friend went up because she knew her mother would have wanted her to, but indicated she didn’t want to take communion (ineligible, because unconfessed + atheist + lesbian) but just receive the blessing, he made her stand there waiting while he gave communion to all the “good” Catholics.

Plus so much incense my eyes were tearing up.

cloudiah

And thanks to Quackers too.

Oh, and the priest tried to insist the family’s flowers, which they wanted for the burial tomorrow, belonged to the Church. And he came to the reception with a little posse and criticized anyone who had a glass of wine.

kittiwantsavatars
kittiwantsavatars

@cloudiah

All the internet hugs if you want them πŸ™ And that priest sounds like a massive dick.

What an asshole priest.

That priest sucks.

cloudiah

Seriously. At the reception, I was at a table with three people who were raised Catholic, and they all confirmed this was unusual priest behavior.

The best part was when my friend’s partner stole the flowers back, while my friend and her brother’s distracted the priest. He’d actually put a big arrangement with a label of “We love you Mom” in front of a statue of Jesus. My friend was like, “He should at least have put it in front of the Virgin Mary statue.” (My friend is very snarky. You’d like her.)

hellkell

This pries sounds like something out of “Curb Your Enthusiasm.”

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

So Jesus is everyone’s Mom now?

I would have tripped the priest, honestly. Oopsy, Father, didn’t see you there, I guess it’s all that wine you said we shouldn’t drink.

cloudiah

@katz, that video, I lost it at Muslims “can’t integrate on a breakfast level.”

Alice Sanguinaria

That priest sounds like an asshole. Sorry for your loss though. *hugs*

Well, it’s my understanding that if you’re British, breakfast is serious business.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

I was at a Catholic wedding once during which the priest interrupted the ceremony to chastise the bride’s brother (who was the official photographer) for taking pictures. In revenge, we threw confetti all over the church afterward. (He had told us not to, in his “here are the rules” lecture before everything started.)

Strangest wedding I’ve ever been to.

Cloudiah, you’ve had a horrible, horrible year. I’m so sorry for your loss.